Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city marathon 28/10/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

muloc wrote: »
    There was nowhere to enter club when I registered for DCM. Anyone know if possible to update?

Did you enter on the Athletics Ireland website for the National Marathon Championships ?......if so you can go to the AI helpdesk at the expo and they will sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Lost about 11 weeks training due to illness from the beginning of May. Got the go ahead the end of August to run again and as I'd entered Dingle early in the year I set out a walk/jog plan just to complete it and got through it just about.

Since then I've trained really well. I'm a good bit behind where I'd like to be but I'm just trying to chip away each week to regain fitness. Had my 20 mile run at the weekend but as all my friends were in Longwood and I was working on the Sun I took myself off to Galway to run the Galway Bay marathon on the Sat. Much easier to run distances with people.

Plan was run the 20 miles as my lsr and walk/jog in as a warmdown/recovery with the added bonus of a medal which is always nice and another marathon chalked off. All went according to plan. 10 miles taper run this week, off to Amsterdam for the half marathon next weekend and fingers crossed I'm good to go for DCM the following week

A marathon and a half marathon in the two weekends before DCM? What plan is that?

Fair play to you - are you racing in Amsterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

muloc wrote: »
    There was nowhere to enter club when I registered for DCM. Anyone know if possible to update?

Get your club secretary to email the competition secretary in athletics Ireland. You will need to supply your membership number and your marathon entry confirmation number.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭muloc

Did you enter on the Athletics Ireland website for the National Marathon Championships ?......if so you can go to the AI helpdesk at the expo and they will sort it for you.

No I entered on the Dublin Marathon site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    A marathon and a half marathon in the two weekends before DCM? What plan is that?

Fair play to you - are you racing in Amsterdam?

I could think of a couple of names for it, but they'd get me a warning..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Yeah, that's mad Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Heartbroken that I might have to miss DCM this year. Did the half in Phoenix Park that I was pleased with, then when I went to ease back into training a couple of days after, something just suddenly "popped" in my calf. I've been off it since bar a couple of runs here and there. Can manage about 10km before it returns. I haven't ran since last Thursday but gonna give it a bash again in the morning and if I can't manage a few 10–12km runs this week without feeling the sensations returning then I'll have to drop out. Sad. Face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Did my first DCM running on an injury that was not healed right - and ran the last 10 miles odd on one leg & it was one of the least fun things I have done in my entire life....

So hard to be sensible after 3 or 4 months of training but...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Anywhere I can find info on pacers, like will they be running at even splits for the whole race or have they a different strategy? Still trying to decide on my marathon pace :eek:

Joleigh wrote: »
    Anywhere I can find info on pacers, like will they be running at even splits for the whole race or have they a different strategy? Still trying to decide on my marathon pace :eek:

Even splits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

conti wrote: »
    Heartbroken that I might have to miss DCM this year. Did the half in Phoenix Park that I was pleased with, then when I went to ease back into training a couple of days after, something just suddenly "popped" in my calf. I've been off it since bar a couple of runs here and there. Can manage about 10km before it returns. I haven't ran since last Thursday but gonna give it a bash again in the morning and if I can't manage a few 10–12km runs this week without feeling the sensations returning then I'll have to drop out. Sad. Face.

Have you seen a physio? I went through something similar. 4 weeks ago on a long run my calf suddenly tightened up and I couldn’t run any further. I’d rest and try again but furthest I got was 7 miles after physio one day. Otherwise it was going after about 6 miles or so. I had a monster physio session last week and she recommended 7-10 days rest too. I swam and did aqua running instead all last week. I did a 2 hour test run this morn and not one niggle in the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Have you seen a physio? I went through something similar. 4 weeks ago on a long run my calf suddenly tightened up and I couldn’t run any further. I’d rest and try again but furthest I got was 7 miles after physio one day. Otherwise it was going after about 6 miles or so. I had a monster physio session last week and she recommended 7-10 days rest too. I swam and did aqua running instead all last week. I did a 2 hour test run this morn and not one niggle in the calf.

Thanks for advice, unfortunately a physio visit is out of budget (so is getting my bike repaired which would help maintain fitness at least), so I'm just being extra careful. I can do everything else though; kettle bell swings, goblin squats, weighted heel raises, stretching, foam-rolling, etc. All with no calf pain at all. Seems that the shock of hitting the ground after a certain length of time is what brings the pain back.

I managed an 8km easy run this morning with no issue apart from the fact I've lost a significant amount of fitness from the time off. My plan is to do same every day this week but increase by ~2km per day. If I can keep going and manage a 16km run on Sunday without issue than I'll stay going and do the marathon, otherwise it's drop-outsville for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

conti wrote: »
    Thanks for advice, unfortunately a physio visit is out of budget (so is getting my bike repaired which would help maintain fitness at least), so I'm just being extra careful. I can do everything else though; kettle bell swings, goblin squats, weighted heel raises, stretching, foam-rolling, etc. All with no calf pain at all. Seems that the shock of hitting the ground after a certain length of time is what brings the pain back.

I managed an 8km easy run this morning with no issue apart from the fact I've lost a significant amount of fitness from the time off. My plan is to do same every day this week but increase by ~2km per day. If I can keep going and manage a 16km run on Sunday without issue than I'll stay going and do the marathon, otherwise it's drop-outsville for me.

Similar to you my training dropped off a cliff a week after the half after developing tendon pain.
    Back pain free running as of last Sat. I'm doing v easy stuff now, 4m day on day off, an 8 mile next Sun.

I don't believe my fitness is gone, you shouldn't either. Your plan sounds excessive this close, and only increasing the risk of not making it.

Ease back and get confidence. I'm attacking my A goal. Attack yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Early days, but weather outlook is positive. The latest long-term forecast is for the day before.

temperature is looking good on BBC, but a bit windy

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Weather EXACTLY like this morning would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Hi, I'm staying on Herbert Street, is there on street parking available?

I'm thinking of getting the train or bus if I don't drive up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

The madness is starting to kick in.

What next the predictions table ;)

• Advertisement

Hi, I'm staying on Herbert Street, is there on street parking available?

I'm thinking of getting the train or bus if I don't drive up.

Whatever about the Bus you wont have an option to travel be train.

Where are you traveling from?

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    What next the predictions table ;)

like this?

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    |RayCun|2:56:42|2:52|
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

Here is a good thread from the weather forum to keep an eye on from early next week(around the time you cut your toe nails).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057883559&page=11

There is a similar thread with a longer outlook but obviously will have a greater margin of error....

Whatever about the Bus you wont have an option to travel be train.

Where are you traveling from?

Traveling from Cork on the Saturday and back down on the Monday

Traveling from Cork on the Saturday and back down on the Monday

Ah ok, thought you were traveling on the day. You should be fine by train.
    Not sure about parking around Herbert road, probably best to check with the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

|davedanon|3:14:18|3:19:06|
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

After so many disappointments in Dublin, I'm conservatively aiming at a course pb only this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

So exciting, I love a good table.

|TheBigGreen|3:42:30|3:14:59|
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

|boydkev|3:31:35|3:14:59|
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

|boydkev|3:31:32|3:14:59|
    |overthebridge|3:38:38|3:59:30|
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

A niggly quad injury has curtailed what had been a pretty good block of training.
    I'm only coming up for the tshirt and a few beers afterwards ;-)

Advertisement