Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-07-2017, 18:38   #1
Zebra3
Registered User
 
Zebra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,031
Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Have signed up for this and will be starting in the first wave. Will be my fourth and final marathon of the year.

They tweeted two days ago that there's less than 2,000 spots left. Anyone know how many spaces are open this year? Will it break the 20,000 mark? Is it the fourth biggest marathon in Europe now?
Zebra3 is offline  
Advertisement
10-07-2017, 08:28   #2
chrislad
Registered User
 
chrislad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,638
Last I saw, there was 1,000 spots left. I expect a sold out announcement by midweek. Fair dues to them. I've done it the past two years, but I'm giving it a miss in favour of Berlin a month earlier this year. Both times, it was very well organised with amazing support. If you're on the fence, I highly recommend (the event, the pains of a marathon less so... )
chrislad is offline  
10-07-2017, 09:23   #3
ooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,987
Last year was the first time it sold out and this year it's going to sell out almost 2 months sooner than it did last year, the move to Sunday has been a huge success.
ooter is offline  
10-07-2017, 09:40   #4
Zebra3
Registered User
 
Zebra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,031
Yeh, the move to Sunday was fantastic. Waking up the following day and being able to have a lie-in....

Great with that respect for locals, the fact that it's not a public holiday abroad on the Monday must have been so off putting for people flying in from abroad and even for folks up north.
Zebra3 is offline  
10-07-2017, 16:10   #5
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,965
Signed up today. I'm probably OK in terms of my training right now so I can jump onto a training plan. Running twice during week and up to 8 miles on Sunday.

Going to add 2 miles into the midweek schedule and go out Tues, Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun.
FutureGuy is offline  
Advertisement
10-07-2017, 16:40   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 177
even less entries left now....the team of 50 pacers have just entered...
Rockyman7 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
10-07-2017, 21:23   #7
Djoucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 597
Looking forward to the FB comments when it sells out.

Personal fav is the "but I raised money for charity already."

Dublin marathon have been superb in keeping people updated.

Should be a great race given the numbers.
Djoucer is offline  
(4) thanks from:
11-07-2017, 09:29   #8
Itziger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
Have signed up for this and will be starting in the first wave. Will be my fourth and final marathon of the year.

They tweeted two days ago that there's less than 2,000 spots left. Anyone know how many spaces are open this year? Will it break the 20,000 mark? Is it the fourth biggest marathon in Europe now?
That's an incredible jump in numbers. I doubt it would be top 4. Some big ones out there. London, Berlin, Paris, Rotterdam, Frankfurt, Vienna, Barcelona????

Ones that mix Full and Half make it harder sometimes to count.
Itziger is offline  
11-07-2017, 09:49   #9
Van.Bosch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,355
<500 places left
Van.Bosch is offline  
Advertisement
11-07-2017, 09:52   #10
RayCun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itziger View Post
That's an incredible jump in numbers. I doubt it would be top 4. Some big ones out there. London, Berlin, Paris, Rotterdam, Frankfurt, Vienna, Barcelona????

Ones that mix Full and Half make it harder sometimes to count.
London, Berlin, Paris are all bigger

Rotterdam about 13,000 in the marathon
Frankfurt 15,000
Barcelona 16,000
Vienna somewhere around there

but add in the other races and the others would be bigger events
RayCun is offline  
11-07-2017, 09:59   #11
Itziger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCun View Post
London, Berlin, Paris are all bigger

Rotterdam about 13,000 in the marathon
Frankfurt 15,000
Barcelona 16,000
Vienna somewhere around there

but add in the other races and the others would be bigger events
Yeah, I did a bit of research after posting and was surprised at some of the numbers. Watch out for Valencia, growing by the year, kinda similar to Dublin. I'd be interested in seeing the difference between numbers registered, starters and finishers.

So, is Dublin cut off 20,000?
Itziger is offline  
11-07-2017, 10:26   #12
RayCun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itziger View Post
Yeah, I did a bit of research after posting and was surprised at some of the numbers. Watch out for Valencia, growing by the year, kinda similar to Dublin. I'd be interested in seeing the difference between numbers registered, starters and finishers.

So, is Dublin cut off 20,000?
yeah, 20k afaik

probably about 17k starting, I suppose the further away the entry closes, the more likely it is that people's plans will change
RayCun is offline  
Thanks from:
11-07-2017, 11:59   #13
Gillo
Registered User
 
Gillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoucer View Post
Looking forward to the FB comments when it sells out
People have had plenty of warning, I've said it to someone I know a couple of times and guaranteed they'll still miss the cut off.

That said I've just searched my inbox for my confirmation email to be sure I'd definitely entered. I'm looking forward to it at this stage despite my training being a lot lower than last year.
Gillo is offline  
11-07-2017, 15:05   #14
Arsenium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 588
Decided not to do it this year after doing it the last few years. Just wanted to work on other stuff instead of committing to a block of marathon training. Still though....as the deadline looms large....I'm starting to get real pangs of nostalgia and regret...I think it's best if I turn off the internet till they close it off :-)
Arsenium is offline  
Thanks from:
11-07-2017, 15:45   #15
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillo View Post
People have had plenty of warning, I've said it to someone I know a couple of times and guaranteed they'll still miss the cut off.

That said I've just searched my inbox for my confirmation email to be sure I'd definitely entered. I'm looking forward to it at this stage despite my training being a lot lower than last year.
Can you remind me who the confirmation email was from? I'm having trouble finding mine. 99.9999999% sure I did register!

It's ok, found it

Last edited by kin9pin; 11-07-2017 at 15:49.
kin9pin is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet