Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city marathon 28/10/2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Zico 2:26! Not bad for a darksider!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Sprint coming up between Ray and Healy I reckon!!!! C'mon boys, home straight nearly. AMK a small bit behind just.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Zico 2:26! Not bad for a darksider!!!

And not forgetting the fat bastard bit.

I think the tracker went awry for the 3 lads I was doing. Will wait to see what they say. I had 'em on for 2.54........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Itziger wrote: »
    I think the tracker went awry for the 3 lads I was doing. Will wait to see what they say. I had 'em on for 2.54........

Ray 2:56
    Healy 2:58
    AMK 2:59

PB for Healy I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Singer 3:09:52, great PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Link to the tracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Ray 2:56
    Healy 2:58
    AMK 2:59

PB for Healy I think

I'd like to think that's wrong........ But I might be wrong!!!

EDIT: I was wrong, unfortunately. Still, all under the 3 anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

If I had a euro for every time the finish line announcer said “good to see ya” I’d be a very wealthy man.

• Advertisement

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Ultrapercy 2:29:47!!!! Absolutely fcuking delighted for him. 20 odd years of marathon running an still running PB's

Fair play. Great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Itziger wrote: »
    Sprint coming up between Ray and Healy I reckon!!!! C'mon boys, home straight nearly. AMK a small bit behind just.

There was no sprinting today, I can tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

RayCun wrote: »

5 Irish under 2:20, 10 under 2:25 and 20 under 2:30. I doubt there has been that much depth in Dublin since the 80's. To put this into perspective, a sub-2:25 would have put an Irish athlete in the hunt for a National title during the 2000's. I know there's an argument that the depth has fallen hugely in the marathon in the last 30 years but theres been a huge resurrgence this decade. We had a full marathon team at the Olympics in 2016 for the first time in 24 years and the standard has been constantly picking up over the last few years. Also of note is that this field didn't have the likes of Pollock, Seaward, Scullion, Hehir, Hanrahan, Thorthon, Murray who are all sub-2:20 guys in recent years plus a load of 2:2x guys and things are really looking up in respect of the depth in this Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 apjb82

Came home in 2.49.48, est time was 2.50! A 23 min pb. Absolutely delighted ðŸ˜
    Race no was 1861

RayCun wrote: »
    There was no sprinting today, I can tell you

I was going on the tracker, Ray, And ye all seemed to be cruising! I should know better. Chances of all 3 of ye 'cruising' the last 6 miles are always slim.

Well done in any case. You'll have easier days'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

5 Irish under 2:20, 10 under 2:25 and 20 under 2:30. I doubt there has been that much depth in Dublin since the 80's. To put this into perspective, a sub-2:25 would have put an Irish athlete in the hunt for a National title during the 2000's. I know there's an argument that the depth has fallen hugely in the marathon in the last 30 years but theres been a huge resurrgence this decade. We had a full marathon team at the Olympics in 2016 for the first time in 24 years and the standard has been constantly picking up over the last few years. Also of note is that this field didn't have the likes of Pollock, Seaward, Scullion, Hehir, Hanrahan, Thorthon, Murray who are all sub-2:20 guys in recent years plus a load of 2:2x guys and things are really looking up in respect of the depth in this Country.

This was really apparent out on the course today...Claw, GOH, Sergiu, Mark Kirwan, Flynn...all within a few minutes of each other and then a steady flow in the 2.20s...great to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

An emotional day today. I had kidney cancer 18 months ago so to get to the start line this morning was my achievement, the matter of 26.2 after that was a victory lap. One that I will treasure, came in 4:07 which is 15 mins off pb.

Huge thanks to all the supporters, all the jelly bearers, volunteers, cleaners, the kids with push for power signs and the chap with the never trust a fart after 24 mile sign :) amongst others.

Special shout out to Ursula (I think) from Mayo who’s on Ireland’s Fittest Family tonight, who gave me a second wind around mile 16!

This was a special one, I will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Got 3:17:31. Bit off 3:15 the target but that was always very ambitious.

Needless to say I’m in fairly good form atm. ;)

11 and a half mins off my PB. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Was feeling sorry for myself coming up heartbreak hill but the 3:30 pacers coming up on my shoulder gave me the kick in the hole i needed so thanks to them for that.
    No way was that yellow balloon passing me out.
    My gun time is over 15 mins slower than my chip time, obviously a glitch in the system, looks like they have me starting at 0900 instead of 0915.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

I fell off the 3hr train at mile 21, shuffled home in 3:08:40. It was unlikely that I would make it but I had to see what it felt like.
    Still an 8 min PB so happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Well done everyone who ran today - looks like the marathon is getting very competitive amongst the Irish men particularly and I suspect there will be a few more joining in the next couple of years. I was out on the course on the bike in about 5 different locations, it's a fantastic spectacle (although it doesn't make me want to run it).

Which is a long preamble to the following question. Without wanting to go all internet detective, can anyone explain the following timing anomaly?

I saw that the TD Damien English had ran 3:06 which is a very respectable time and, like every other time I looked at today, I was interested in the splits.

According to the splits on the DCM app, he ran the final split from 30k to the finish at sub-5 minute pace. Impressive considering that's faster than both the winner Asafa Bekele and national champion Mick Clohisey managed.

Now, I know there's a difference between gun time and chip time and that some people's start times are wrong but the app records the time of day you cross each mat (isn't half-way at 10:58.26 and finish at 12:21.55 a 1:23 second-half whatever way you look at it?), so I'm not sure how that accounts for it?

More than likely, there is a good explanation for it, but I haven't seen any other weird ones.

See splits attached.

de-splits.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Beat my time last year by just shy of 2 minutes. I will gladly take it.

Had some real bad runners knee problems after the 30km mark that just ruined me. Not too shocked. Life had gotten in the way my ideal gym and training time the last few months and I knew I wasnt where I wanted to be going on. Lesson learned.

2nd marathon sure was a experience though. Much less of a mental game. I enjoyed it a lot more. People going "you are almost there" when I am only 28km didnt get under my skin as much. :lol:

Still only one guy sub 2:14 since Mark Carroll in 2002 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Still only one guy sub 2:14 since Mark Carroll in 2002 though.

True but I think the point is that there is a marked improvement on the 2000s, which does point towards progress

Duanington wrote: »
    True but I think the point is that there is a marked improvement on the 2000s, which does point towards progress

For sure. Hopefully we see a breakthrough in the next few years. The broader the base the higher the peak and all that jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Sacksian wrote: »
    Well done everyone who ran today - looks like the marathon is getting very competitive amongst the Irish men particularly and I suspect there will be a few more joining in the next couple of years. I was out on the course on the bike in about 5 different locations, it's a fantastic spectacle (although it doesn't make me want to run it).

Which is a long preamble to the following question. Without wanting to go all internet detective, can anyone explain the following timing anomaly?

I saw that the TD Damien English had ran 3:06 which is a very respectable time and, like every other time I looked at today, I was interested in the splits.

According to the splits on the DCM app, he ran the final split from 30k to the finish at sub-5 minute pace. Impressive considering that's faster than both the winner Asafa Bekele and national champion Mick Clohisey managed.

Now, I know there's a difference between gun time and chip time and that some people's start times are wrong but the app records the time of day you cross each mat (isn't half-way at 10:58.26 and finish at 12:21.55 a 1:23 second-half whatever way you look at it?), so I'm not sure how that accounts for it?

More than likely, there is a good explanation for it, but I haven't seen any other weird ones.

See splits attached.

de-splits.jpg

Nah, he's good. Ran a good negative split of 1:43/1:38 for a 3:21

https://www.tdleventservices.co.uk/event-results/events

Gun time is 3:21 on tdl events which is 15 minutes from 3:06 so he must have moved up to the first wave. I'm not sure how the splits ended up like that though as you'd expect the first split to be the quickest but his time looks legit on tdl and I wouldn't reckon he was up to any funny business. Just that his gun time is his legit time.

Actually, I'm just confused but I think it could be something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Nah, he's good. Ran a good negative split of 1:43/1:38 for a 3:21

https://www.tdleventservices.co.uk/event-results/events

Gun time is 3:21 on tdl events which is 15 minutes from 3:06 so he must have moved up to the first wave. I'm not sure how the splits ended up like that though as you'd expect the first split to be the quickest but his time looks legit on tdl and I wouldn't reckon he was up to any funny business. Just that his gun time is his legit time.

Actually, I'm just confused but I think it could be something like that

Yeah, I checked TDL before I posted and saw the gun/chip time but I just couldn't figure out how anything stacked up with the times of day captured by the timing mats, unless they're not accurate.

Anyway, I don't think I should be speculating about the guy's time when it could be completely legit for some unknown reason so I'll leave it up to the dublin marathon office to check out (I think they investigate out all weird very large positive/negative splits).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Classic21 wrote: »
    I fell off the 3hr train at mile 21, shuffled home in 3:08:40. It was unlikely that I would make it but I had to see what it felt like.
    Still an 8 min PB so happy with that

So glad to see you went for sub 3..... Everything in your training pointed towards faster than sub 3:10 so I'm delighted you pushed it.

A bit early but if you're going for spring marathon i might do a long run or two with yiz in the new year....

Great running today. Well done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

I didn't say anything to anyone but I knew I was going to try as hard as I could yesterday...
    It was my 2nd and last 'official' marathon.
    I love running, but hate the training and regimented plans etc.
    I saw the Red 3 hour baloons and out past them (it took a while I will admit)
    Did really really well in the over 50 category...
    Great weather, great crowds..
    The noise at times was unbelievable..
    Drank lots of pints (first time in 8 weeks)
    And had a great night..
    As a work colleague said (he also ran it) it takes over your life...it does, but worth it in the end...

Advertisement