Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 12 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

You could try the steps here but it relies on having the option for slide to power off come up and it may not considering your situation:

Keep your watch on its charger until you complete these steps.
    Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off.
    Firmly press the Power Off slider, then lift your finger.
    Tap Erase all content and settings.
    Wait for the process to finish, then set up your Apple Watch again. When asked, restore from a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The 12.1 update cleared about 2/3GB of “system” crap off my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

FourFourFM wrote: »
    You could try the steps here but it relies on having the option for slide to power off come up and it may not considering your situation:

Keep your watch on its charger until you complete these steps.
    Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off.
    Firmly press the Power Off slider, then lift your finger.
    Tap Erase all content and settings.
    Wait for the process to finish, then set up your Apple Watch again. When asked, restore from a backup.
    Thanks for that but unfortunately can’t get into anything. I’m gonna let it die and hopefully that sorts it. I’ve never had a problem with Apple stuff in years, but a few months ago the touch digitiser stopped working on my X and now this issue. Having a bad 2018 with Apple stuff.

Is the watch still under warranty?

It may need to be sent off to an Apple repair centre to have the OS reinstalled if you don’t have any luck with the power drain trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Appears the issue is widespread, expecting the update to be pulled fairly fast

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Shn99 wrote: »
    Appears the issue is widespread, expecting the update to be pulled fairly fast

Updating my watch now.
    12.1 went perfect on the phone. Will update if the watch goes mental!

Glad to know it wasn’t just my watch that was bricked. I’m unlucky as usually I read about these issues but they never usually affect me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Stuck on Apple logo all night!

Appears to be only affecting Series 4?

You may need to have them sent off to Apple

• Advertisement

iOS 12.1.1 Developer & Public beta 1 out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

iOS 12.1.1 Developer & Public beta 1 out.

Hearing all sorts that it’s slowing IPhone 8 and 8 Plus and X down big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pad199207 wrote: »
    Hearing all sorts that it’s slowing IPhone 8 and 8 Plus and X down big time.

From whom?

Had beta on iPhone 8 for weeks and it's perfect.

murpho999 wrote: »
    From whom?

Had beta on iPhone 8 for weeks and it's perfect.

They’re referring to 12.1.1 Beta 1 I believe, which came out Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah mainly comments from Facebook yesterday. People saying that Apple are “throttling” batteries with the update. Maybe im reading them wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i have it downloaded on my ipad and its fine , haven't downloaded it on my xs max i wait for beta 3 or so for that

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah mainly comments from Facebook yesterday. People saying that Apple are “throttling” batteries with the update. Maybe im reading them wrong.

Have it installed too and no problems.

I wouldn't put too much faith in Facebook comments. Why would Apple 'throttle' batteries in an update on one year old phones.

People are just convinced that Apple have a deliberate obsolescence programme which is not true.

Why would Apple 'throttle' batteries in an update on one year old phones.

They admitted that they did this with the 6s & 6s Plus in January 2017’s 10.2.1 update.

It was enabled in iOS 12.1 for the X, 8 & 8 Plus.

They only difference this time around is you have the option to turn it off in settings.
    Adds a performance management feature to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down, including the option to disable this feature if an unexpected shutdown occurs, for iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

Depending on usage, some people may have already drained their battery down below the 80% capacity by now on last years devices.

I think the confusion from above could be coming from Apple offering the ‘throttling’ feature that has been happening on older iPhones now on the iPhone X and 8/8 Plus.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/10/31/18047174/iphone-x-8-plus-performance-throttling-battery-management-ios-12-1-update

They admitted that they did this with the 6s & 6s Plus in January 2017’s 10.2.1 update.

It was enabled in iOS 12.1 for the X, 8 & 8 Plus.

They only difference this time around is you have the option to turn it off in settings.

Depending on usage, some people may have already drained their battery down below the 80% capacity by now on last years devices.

Yes but it's not really obsolescence but sensible battery management imho.

Apple were trying to do the right thing but made a mess of communicating it.

• Advertisement

I have an X on 100% battery health. This isn’t going to effect me is it?

Yes but it's not really obsolescence but sensible battery management imho.

Apple were trying to do the right thing but made a mess of communicatinig it.

Yep I agree.

It makes sense to prevent shutdowns by throttling performance.

Giving people the choice is better however.

I have an X on 100% battery health. This isn’t going to effect me is it?

Correct. Until you get below 80% you might start seeing unexpected shutdowns unless you enable performance management in settings.

Right before iOS 12 my battery health on my X was at 98%. Now it’s down to 92% and was the same around 4 weeks ago when I checked. Big drop for me recently.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Right before iOS 12 my battery health on my X was at 98%. Now it’s down to 92% and was the same around 4 weeks ago when I checked. Big drop for me recently.

The same happened to me. I don’t think it dropped by 6% that quick I think it wasn’t reporting accurately up to that point.

It was in beta until 12.0 released - which probably explains it.

The same happened to me. I don’t think it dropped by 6% that quick I think it wasn’t reporting accurately up to that point.

It was in beta until 12.0 released - which probably explains it.
    Yeah sorry I didn’t check right before and after I installed. But a few weeks before it had been at 98% and a few days after iOS 12 it was showing the lower amount.

Not sure if that’s down to software, maybe it wasn’t as accurate before the update. I have been using it very heavily the last few weeks though so that could contribute a little too. Still though, it was holding steady at 98% for months before the update dropped.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah sorry I didn’t check right before and after I installed. But a few weeks before it had been at 98% and a few days after iOS 12 it was showing the lower amount.

Not sure if that’s down to software, maybe it wasn’t as accurate before the update. I have been using it very heavily the last few weeks though so that could contribute a little too. Still though, it was holding steady at 98% for months before the update dropped.

The iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles.

That’s from their website.

So it suggests that 98% after around 10 months of use or whatever, probably wasn’t accurate. Unless you’re getting 2/3 days out of a full charge.

No as I said I’m a heavy user most days and I’d just barely scrape by getting to 12am/1am. It comes off charge at 7.30am so I’d get a decent amount of usage.

It is the one area I’d love to see significant improvements. Maybe a day and a half battery so no matter how much you might be using the phone it would last throughout the day.

Beta 2 is out

• Advertisement

Beta 3 is out

Advertisement