Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denmark bans full face veils.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

meeeeh wrote: »
    Second link is use of term as was accurate at the time. Muslim was ethnicity in Yugoslavia, killings in Bosnia were not because of religious prosecution it was ethnic prosecution.

I think there is some confusion here, the point I was making that Religion and ethnicity can be used as proxy for one another.

Also, Religion was invoked at times, I remember talking to the refugees at the time at the mosque here in Dublin and reading news stories.

Here is another news story from 1992:
    BOSNIAN SERBS SAY THEY'RE FIGHTING AGAINST ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISM

So yeah Religion was invoked when it suited, and I do agree it was more about ethnicity, with Religion being used as an excuse by Croat/Serbian forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

wes wrote: »
    Your taking the piss pretty clearly. Comparing paying taxes an necessity for society to function, to banning someone from wearing a face veil.

Again, its an amusing attempt, don't get me wrong. Its almost clever, but not something that can really be taken seriously. Again, nice try but hardly the same thing, paying taxes and having a state mandated dress code.
    You need to relax.
    If you come out with a statement like " I am against forcing people to do stuff that they don't want to do."
    Don't be surprised if other posters try and clarify or find holes in this position.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

2 Scoops wrote: »
    "Violations of Women's rights"

Did they ever ask themselves why the veils are black nylon in the awful middle east heat and not white gauze, they are a form of punishment and the sooner they disappear from that cult the better
    It's amazing how many thanks this got for something that's seems to be flawed at so many levels.

Of course men also wear black sometimes, and indeed wearing loose black clothes leads can be cooler than white ones in windy conditions.
    We report here that the amount of heat gained by a Bedouin exposed to the hot desert is the same whether he wears a black or a white robe. The additional heat absorbed by the black robe was lost before it reached the skin.

https://www.nature.com/articles/283373a0

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I am making no excuses. I am against forcing people to do stuff that they don't want to do. All I see are excuse for authoritarianism.

Nice, you have finally found the light.

Would you therefore extend that right to a Muslim barber not to cut the hair of a women or a Christian baker to not bake cakes for gay weddings?

Check-Mate!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think there is some confusion here, the point I was making that Religion and ethnicity can be used as proxy for one another.

Also, Religion was invoked at times, I remember talking to the refugees at the time at the mosque here in Dublin and reading news stories.

So yeah Religion was invoked when it suited, and I do agree it was more about ethnicity, with Religion being used as an excuse by Croat/Serbian forces.

There was also the systematic destruction of mosques and other Islamic holy sites by the Serbs and to a lesser extent by the Croats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I was around when the whole thing was going on. We had a 17 years old 'Muslim' kid who was never a muslim staying with us for over a year as a refugee (my parents were trading with his parents). Excuse of Muslim fundamentalism was maybe given as a reason to western journalists but there was no illusion in the region that religion had very little to do with the war. It was a land grab. It was pure coincidence that one of the ethnic groups was called Muslims.

You are lecturing me on something I lived through. Also I should point out Bosnian Muslims were very weak in their religion, the religion probably deepened with the war and influx of middle eastern money and other support in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

meeeeh wrote: »
    I was around when the whole thing was going on. We had a 17 years old 'Muslim' kid who was never a muslim staying with us for over a year as a refugee (my parents were trading with his parents). Excuse of Muslim fundamentalism was maybe given as a reason to western journalists but there was no illusion in the region that religion had very little to do with the war. It was a land grab. It was pure coincidence that one of the ethnic groups was called Muslims.

You are lecturing me on something I lived through.

No lecturing here at all.

Again, I am not disagreeing with you at all. You seem to be misinterpreting what I am saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Don't agree with it at all.

Freedom of Religion is an important principle we have in the west.

We can't prevent people from following the customs of their faith if it doesn't negatively impact on the general public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Don't agree with it at all.

Freedom of Religion is an important principle we have in the west.

We can't prevent people from following the customs of their faith if it doesn't negatively impact on the general public.

There is nothing in the koran that says women have to cover their face nor does it say anywhere that a woman must walk behind a man. Its backward nonsense that has no place in this day and age and it should not be tolerated in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

thebull85 wrote: »
    There is nothing in the koran that says women have to cover their face nor does it say anywhere that a woman must walk behind a man. Its backward nonsense that has no place in this day and age and it should not be tolerated in the west.

I agree it's base don some backward notion of wimmin giving men dirty notions, but if a person wants to dress in a particular way should they be allowed to (there are situations like security or if they are under 18 that should be looked at though)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭O'Neill

Maybe read the thread title and you'll be less amazed.

Your point? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

burka.jpg?w=736&e=b981241a63b04252a7d7fc99eab35f2a

These veils in Europe don't make sense, and remember if Europeans go to Muslim countries they are expected to change way they dress too as to not offend, so has to work both ways.

You are missing the point. It being that we are superior to you due to our religion and we dispise your culture. We don't want to engage with you and with time and numbers we will eventually force you to adopt to our ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

O'Neill wrote: »
    Your point? :rolleyes:

It’s not amazing that no one is talking about circumcision in a thread on Denmark banning full face veils.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I feel awful. I ate a whole bowl of popcorn reading this thread and it is not sitting well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you move to or visit another country, you should respect and abide by the laws and customs of that country. What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business. It is not up to the host country to accommodate your culture if it is at odds with their own

Advertisement