Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denmark bans full face veils.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭O'Neill

Mutant z wrote: »
    None justify the other barbarism of any sort done in the name of religion needs to be outlawed.

Then why should the burka be banned over forced circumcission? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Good it should be banned everywhere no to the islamism of Europe.

Even in most Muslim countries its not a requirement to wear one ...... Can you believe it ... Its shocking right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Who would feel comfortable going through airport security and seeing someone's face completely covered over security alone is why it needs to be banned.

O'Neill wrote: »

Its the fear of Muslims ... all of them

Who would feel comfortable going through airport security and seeing someone's face completely covered over security alone is why it needs to be banned.

Ever been on a ME airport ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

wes wrote: »
    Ok that is fair enough. I will say I appreciate the honesty.

Thanks wes, i appreciate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

That's your opinion. But if they want to wear it for religious reasons why shouldn't they?

There's no religious reasons for wearing the Burka. The Quran does not demand it.

If nutjobs try to justify female genital mutilation because 'muh religion should we allow that too. Or stoning women and gays to death? Muh religion muh religion.

If they like the atavistic mentality so much they can jump on a plane back to Saudi Arabia.

Backwards freedom hating ideology is no longer welcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

All shopping centres, shops, transport providers, and most buildings are privately owned, as such they generally all hold the right to refuse admission, for any reason.

Motobike helmets are legally compulsury when on/near a running motorbike. They simply aren't worn at any other times. Haloween is a cultural fabric of this land, it occurs once per year and rarely are full face coverings used.

It's not about culture. It's about security.that's what someone said and that's what i specifically asked about. Should all face coverings be banned for security reasons? (btw, you might not have noticed but it's possible to get motor cycle helmets that don't cover your face).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not a fan of forced circumcision either but I know too little about the subject to know if there medical arguments against outright ban.

Both of those things need to be banned and any person doing that disgusting stuff to a child should be imprisoned for life or deported if they're not citizens of this country no tolerance to medievalism thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

There's no religious reasons for wearing the Burka. The Quran does not demand it.

If nutjobs try to justify female genital mutilation because 'muh religion should we allow that too. Or stoning women and gays to death? Muh religion muh religion.

If they like the atavistic mentality so much they can jump on a plane back to Saudi Arabia.

Backwards freedom hating ideology is no longer welcome here.

We're talking about what a person is allowed wear. Your post is just a hate filled rant.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of forced circumcision either but I know too little about the subject to know if there medical arguments against outright ban.

The ethical argument would be sufficient

weisses wrote: »
    Ever been on a ME airport ?

No and Europe isnt the ME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

The only thing worse that hard-line Muslim extremists are the useful idiots across Europe that facilitate their demands.

Feminists for Burkas and idiots like Katherine Zappone who'd be the first ones thrown from the rooftops if their hard-line friends had their way.

It is cultural suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Couldn't help but notice this.
    So Islam isn't a race when it suits.
    And is a race when it suits.

Ah someone with an axe to grind, because I made a simple clarification in a post I replied to.

Ok so we are talking about something different than the exchange I had wiht the other poster.

So may as well address your victim complex here.

Yeah, that the thing about racists (which you decided to bring up btw), there not rational actors, hence why they will deliberately conflate race and religion when it suits them, and hide behind criticism of religion, when there really talking about a racial group.

Now plenty of well meaning people will sometimes do the same in error, and that is no big deal. That kind of thing happens from time to time, but I guess you aren't talking about that, but rather annoyed that some said something mean to you on the Internet one time, and now you have a victim complex about it.

Surely, its not that hard to understand that racists are not terrible honest people, and will use any tactic to get there point across.
    We've been hit over the head that attacks/criticism of Islam is racist. At least we've established it's not a race now.

Got it.

I am sure some people have called genuine criticism of Religion racist, just as I am sure that plenty of racists used religion as a proxy to attack other races. Again, hardly difficult to understand that plenty of people will conflate race and religions when it suits them.

The 2 examples off the top of my head. Hatred of Jewish people in Europe, where race and relegation were seen as one and the same by anti-semites.

Also, Bosnian were referred to as Muslims solely as Muslims by Serbian force during the various massacres they carried out.

Plenty of examples out there of the point I was making. Surely, not hard for you understand now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Violation of women's rights, because Muslim women's rights are so important in the Islamic world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Grayson wrote: »
    It's not about culture. It's about security.that's what someone said and that's what i specifically asked about. Should all face coverings be banned for security reasons? (btw, you might not have noticed but it's possible to get motor cycle helmets that don't cover your face).

Indeed, all full face coverings would be a good idea to get banned (aside from safety compliance e.g. Welders, Motorbikers).

No one wears a motorbike helmet (with visor down) anywhere, when not on/near a motorbike. And most shops/business would actually ask for it's removal, if ever done so on their private property. Banks in particular would class it as a 'security situation' if not done so.

Again at halloween full face coverings are very rare (mostly clothing or make up). It's also a tradition of this land to 'dress up' one night per year.

If someone at the once-per-year night event of haloween did enter a property (likely a bar/club that decides who can/can't enter). They would almost certainly remove the said covering when ordering drinks, taking drinks, for heat reasoons and/or socalising.

No and Europe isnt the ME.

Maybe broaden your horizon .. Then you will find out its not scary at all being on an airport surrounded by Muslims .... Not one bomb went off during my time there ... Can you imagine :eek:

Those niqab wearing women even got on the same plane I was one ... And there was no hyjacking .. I guess we were lucky

And yet I fully agree the Niqab and burka do not belong in our society

Also, Bosnian were referred to as Muslims solely as Muslims by Serbian force during the various massacres they carried out.

I'm not defending what Serbs did in Bosnia but that is a bit more complicated than religious hatred. War in Yugoslavia was about a land grab, the ideas of big Serbia and different other nationalisms. Population of Bosnia was always mix of Croatian Bosnians, Serbian Bosnians and Muslim Bosnians and they were always referred as that to distinguish between different ethnic groups in Bosnia. Because of Turkish attacks the area was always a bit mixed. It was similar in Croatia but the percentage of Serbian population was a lot smaller. While religion was part of the problem other factors were much more significant. But referring to Mulim Bosnians just as Bosnians would be wrong because it would imply Bosnia was unified and attacked from outside, when fight were also inside the country between the three groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Indeed, all full face coverings would be a good idea to get banned (aside from safety compliance e.g. Welders, Motorbikers).

No one wears a motorbike helmet (with visor down) anywhere, when not on/near a motorbike. And most shops/business would actually ask for it's removal, if ever done so on their private property. Banks in particular would class it as a 'security situation' if not done so.

Again at halloween full face coverings are very rare (mostly clothing or make up). It's also a tradition of this land to 'dress up' one night per year.

If someone at the once-per-year night event of haloween did enter a property (likely a bar/club that decides who can/can't enter). They would almost certainly remove the said covering when ordering drinks, taking drinks, for heat reasoons and/or socalising.

So you think that all face coverings should be made illegal by the state unless it has a necessary functional use like a welders mask.

It's just that if you didn't, you'd be essentially saying that the security reason for getting rid of the burka either didn't exist or was so trivial that it didn't warrent banning any other face covering.

• Advertisement

Maybe broaden your horizon .. Then you will find out its not scary at all being on an airport surrounded by Muslims .... Not one bomb went off during my time there ... Can you imagine :eek:

Those niqab wearing women even got on the same plane I was one ... And there was no hyjacking .. I guess we were lucky

And yet I fully agree the Niqab and burka do not belong in our society

Well good for you however you need to see someones face to know their identity and you cant do that if its completely covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Liberals ask for Christian theocracy to become more liberal on social views but don't utter a word on large Muslim communities in Europe who have extreme views on things like women's rights, gay marriage and so on. How dressing up in a black binbag improves integration is anyone's guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Grayson wrote: »
    So you think that all face coverings should be made illegal by the state unless it has a necessary functional use like a welders mask.

It's just that if you didn't, you'd be essentially saying that the security reason for getting rid of the burka either didn't exist or was so trivial that it didn't warrent banning any other face covering.

For basic security and ID, full face coverings are probably not suitable. A partial or full ban is worth considering.

Are you saying the more multi-cultural states such as France have got it all wrong?

59653981ae07c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

AllForIt wrote: »
    Is there any other fashion issues on the cards that governments wish to get rid off?

Women walking around in pyjamas during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Fully support Denmark,s in banning face veils, if you re out in public one should be required to show his/her face. I also support a ban on face covering/mask wearing on certain types of so called protesters , it will be interesting to see how far Denmark,s new law will go .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I am making no excuses. I am against forcing people to do stuff that they don't want to do. All I see are excuse for authoritarianism.

Punishing the victim does no such thing.

Secularism is separation of church and state. A secular society should keep religion out of government.

A face veil is not comparable to genital mutilation. You are now talking about a completely different topic.

How many women wear the face veil in Europe? Is it an epidemic problem? You have any numbers on this?

I'm against paying tax. Should I be able to opt out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It amazes me to be honest that everyone keeps going on about the burka and yet no one seems to question forced circumcission in young boys, due to their religion. Surely that's more abhorrent than what someone wears!

Maybe read the thread title and you'll be less amazed.

The ethical argument would be sufficient

I am against it just for religious reasons but I know there are sometimes medical reasons for it and I don't know if the ban would impede healthcare. I simply don't know enough about the subject to have an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Some of those burka wearers would frighten the ghouls at Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Ah someone with an axe to grind, because I made a simple clarification in a post I replied to.

Ok so we are talking about something different than the exchange I had wiht the other poster.

So may as well address your victim complex here.

Yeah, that the thing about racists (which you decided to bring up btw), there not rational actors, hence why they will deliberately conflate race and religion when it suits them, and hide behind criticism of religion, when there really talking about a racial group.

Now plenty of well meaning people will sometimes do the same in error, and that is no big deal. That kind of thing happens from time to time, but I guess you aren't talking about that, but rather annoyed that some said something mean to you on the Internet one time, and now you have a victim complex about it.

Surely, its not that hard to understand that racists are not terrible honest people, and will use any tactic to get there point across.

I am sure some people have called genuine criticism of Religion racist, just as I am sure that plenty of racists used religion as a proxy to attack other races. Again, hardly difficult to understand that plenty of people will conflate race and religions when it suits them.

The 2 examples off the top of my head. Hatred of Jewish people in Europe, where race and relegation were seen as one and the same by anti-semites.

Plenty of examples out there of the point I was making. Surely, not hard for you understand now is it?

You seem very defensive and triggered.
    Just be nice.

All I saw was Islam is a race sometimes and not other times.

Look, I am talking about simple criticism of religion not hatred of people.

Any criticism of Islam is often met with accusations of racism. It can't be criticised or pilloried or satirised like people satirise or pillory Christianity or Judaism without someone invoking racism and race.

That's the issue.

Hatred of Muslims is another issue.

But a religion that ingrains itself so deeply into culture is always going to be a slippery target, something that can't be touched (and invoking calls of racism) and other times it's just a religion.

That's my issue.

Advertisement