Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denmark bans full face veils.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    White socks with sandals

Popped collars

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Graces7 wrote: »
    More modesty here would be a good thing. Rather than the current over exposure of bare flesh.. and all that that leads to

Try living in Australia. The only negative consequence of bare flesh I ever noticed was a high incidence of skin cancer. Perhaps the problem lies with those who have weird and perverse thinking processes concerning bare flesh.

I'm pretty sure the medical profession encounters a lot bare flesh. Never read about any particular social problems arising from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Graces7 wrote:
    More modesty here would be a good thing. Rather than the current over exposure of bare flesh.. and all that that leads to

You're female, right?

wes wrote: »
    So your for banning men having beards as well? Right? ISIS forced men to grow beards.....

If we are to ban the opposite of everything ISIS enforced then male facial hair has to go!

https://www.news24.com/World/News/Iraqi-men-worried-after-ISIS-introduces-beard-law-20150601

https://www.rferl.org/a/every-man-in-mosul-ordered-to-grow-a-beard/26985105.html

I haven't read those links, but I've read about this before. Yes, ISIS sometimes forces men to grow beards.

Your argument against what we're saying here is infantile. "If we are to ban the opposite of everything ISIS enforced then male facial hair has to go!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Be stopping women wearing miniskirts next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sure in Denmark you get fined for crossing the road when then light is red. Even if there are no vehicles close by.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Be stopping women wearing miniskirts next.

Try wearing one in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, etc, and see what happens to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cagefactor

cnocbui wrote: »
    Try wearing one in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, etc, and see what happens to you.

I think you haven't been to the middle east, I've seen short skirts in Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, UAE. Saudi and Iran are different levels from the rest of the middle eastern countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Your argument against what we're saying here is infantile. "If we are to ban the opposite of everything ISIS enforced then male facial hair has to go!"

Its hardly infantile, it was deliberate hyperbole.

One of the reasons cited by those who are for the ban on burqa is that women are forced to wear them. So we know men are forced to wear beards, so we should ban them, then. Right? Its the exact same logic at the end of the day, just applied to to men with beards.

So if my argument against banning of beards is infantile, so is the burqa ban, as its exact same logic at the end of the day.

cagefactor wrote: »
    I think you haven't been to the middle east, I've seen short skirts in Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, UAE. Saudi and Iran are different levels from the rest of the middle eastern countries.

You think wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've always felt that a law telling women what they can't wear is the same as a law that tells women what they have to wear. We shouldn't be doing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Many rules enforced on Western men/ women in Middle East so you can't have it every way..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

SNNUS wrote: »
    Many rules enforced on Western men/ women in Middle East so you can't have it every way..

Not all of them have the same rules. Plenty of place in the middle east, where you can dress the same as you would in the West.

Also, if you start to emulate Saudi Arabia, how exactly are you any better then them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

I think it's reasonable for people working in the public service, and for people entering banks or similar where there is a security risk to not be allowed to cover their face.

Otherwise this is a step too far. People have mentioned demonstrators, and its a perfect example. What happens in a situation where there's a fascist government? You can't cover your face to hide your identity while protesting, because you can be arrested for doing so. You can't protest without covering your face, due to the consequences of being identified as a protestor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Good hopefully Ireland follows suit. I respect traditions and customs in countries I visit, and the same courtesy should be extended by visitors here

What "traditions and customs" are not being respected when someone chooses to wear a veil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

A person covering their face can't be identified. The sooner the rest of the world bans it the better. It's not a rights issue it's a safety one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Stop interfering and putting your values on others, please. .

Irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

SNNUS wrote: »

Yes, but isn't the good thing about our country the fact that we don't put in place draconian laws regarding how someone should dress, unlike some Middle Eastern Countries. Even in the middle East, before the Islamic Revolution in Iran, women could be seen wearing skirts and only their hair covered. The same thing in Afghanistan before the Taliban came to power. Surely this is preferable to the situation there now, and is something we should encourage.

cagefactor wrote: »

Qatar you say...:

article-2641453-1E4345C600000578-790_634x915.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

[/B]

For you they might be. For those wearing them not.

You’re a gas ticket Grace. No problem with forced womb removal but perish the thought of forced veil removal.

• Advertisement

What "traditions and customs" are not being respected when someone chooses to wear a veil?

The tradition and custom that we in the West don't require women to wear such and that such items are not worn in the current era.

Mr.H wrote: »
    A person covering their face can't be identified. The sooner the rest of the world bans it the better. It's not a rights issue it's a safety one.

How many women in burka's commit crimes? Is there a gang of them wandering around Denmark sneaking into banks and robbing them?

I'm fine with a bank saying you have to remove any full head covering such as a motorbike helmet before entering.

I'm not ok with making an item of clothing illegal at a state level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm very wary of governments telling people what they can or can't wear. Fair enough if they are working in the public service, but if its in a private capacity I don't see a problem.

Its important for being able to facial recognise people on CCTV or by witnesses if a crime has been committed.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its important for being able to facial recognise people on CCTV or by witnesses if a crime has been committed.

Then you have to ban everything that covers a face. Halloween costumes, motorbike helmets, joke fake beards etc... You also have to show that these face coverings have impeded the security forces/police in their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cagefactor

cnocbui wrote: »
    Qatar you say...:

article-2641453-1E4345C600000578-790_634x915.jpg

Haven't seen such leaflet, I was in Doha last month, alot of girls in the malls wearing skirts. If go out to the bars or clubs it is even more prevalent.

Grayson wrote: »
    How many women in burka's commit crimes? Is there a gang of them wandering around Denmark sneaking into banks and robbing them?

I'm fine with a bank saying you have to remove any full head covering such as a motorbike helmet before entering.

I'm not ok with making an item of clothing illegal at a state level.

That's part of the problem, is it not? Knowing what is actually inside the tent.
    Man disguised as woman wearing burqa kills 15 in Chad capital ...

More instances and examples available if you want...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

In all honestly there should be no surprise about this, people aren't generally anti-Muslim but there is a growing backlash against the extreme elements some from that community are promoting. I never liked that face veil myself it intimidating and rather annoying and fail to understand what practical value there is in trying to push something like this in a country that's generally open and inclusive. I can see something like this gradually being introduced across the board eventually for a variety of reasons. Fact is while it's nice to have cultural diversity there's only so much diversity that will be tolerated before people do start getting uncomfortable. The more extreme element's of the Muslim community over the year's have demonstrated that in their case multiculturalism is a failure and while people are fine with them for the most part the more extreme and regressive element's mean they need to be basically told to face up to the fact that they have to respect the culture of their HOST country as well otherwise why should they expect everyone else to respect theirs? Why are they here even?

That being said the headscarf that Muslim women wear never bothered me though, in many way's it's similar to the shawls the older Irish women would wear many year's ago and you can still see the woman's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I fully support this ban. People have a right to see who is walking past them on the streets, especially when there has been terrorist attacks in European cites in recent years.

Can we preach our personal beliefs to them while in their country so that they change their laws ? It would probably be a very harsh punishment if we tried. A fast drop with a sudden stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Do you not think you should hold your country to higher standards than Saudi Arabia or Iran?

Thats a ridiculous strawman. It goes without saying that we treat our citizens and every foreign citizen better than Saudi and Iran do, and even with a veil ban we would still have much higher standards of minority rights than those countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Well put.
    Infini wrote: »
    In all honestly there should be no surprise about this, people aren't generally anti-Muslim but there is a growing backlash against the extreme elements some from that community are promoting. I never liked that face veil myself it intimidating and rather annoying and fail to understand what practical value there is in trying to push something like this in a country that's generally open and inclusive. I can see something like this gradually being introduced across the board eventually for a variety of reasons. Fact is while it's nice to have cultural diversity there's only so much diversity that will be tolerated before people do start getting uncomfortable. The more extreme element's of the Muslim community over the year's have demonstrated that in their case multiculturalism is a failure and while people are fine with them for the most part the more extreme and regressive element's mean they need to be basically told to face up to the fact that they have to respect the culture of their HOST country as well otherwise why should they expect everyone else to respect theirs? Why are they here even?

That being said the headscarf that Muslim women wear never bothered me though, in many way's it's similar to the shawls the older Irish women would wear many year's ago and you can still see the woman's face.

Advertisement