Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The non Late Late / Ray Darcy / Meeeeriam summer thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,591 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sligojoek wrote: »
    Gardeners world on BBC2

I'm totally on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It’s coming home!
    It’s coming home!
    It’s coming!
    Hockey’s coming home!

My god, you Irish don’t half go on about women’s hockey!

If you win it, will you promise not to go on about it, unlike the way you go on about Italia ‘90?

(See what I’m doing here? :D )

Anyhoo, the classic ‘Lock Up’ with Sly on TV3 tonight :)

It's the weather this Summer,ideal for bandwagon growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

"There's absolutely no excuse for not having a hydrangea in your Garden" says your Woman

Then as soon as she's gone Monty comes on and doesn't sound as convinced. He says they are vulnerable in the current drought conditions.

They need to get them together to argue about it, maybe put Eamon Dunphy in there too now that he's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Skid X wrote: »
    "There's absolutely no excuse for not having a hydrangea in your Garden" says your Woman

Then as soon as she's gone Monty comes on and doesn't sound as convinced. He says they are vulnerable in the current drought conditions.

They need to get them together to argue about it, maybe put Eamon Dunphy in there too now that he's available.

Between the frost earlier in the year and the recent dry conditions I've only about 8 flowers on mine. I'd blame the frost more than the drought because It never went dry, so to speak.

On a lighter note, the chillies are having a bumper year.

If you haven't seen it, I would recommend the Beatles film Eight Days a Week: The Touring Years (Tonight, More4 9pm)

Worth sticking a tape in.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Between the frost earlier in the year and the recent dry conditions I've only about 8 flowers on mine. I'd blame the frost more than the drought because It never went dry, so to speak.

On a lighter note, the chillies are having a bumper year.

My hydrangea went to bits this summer.

I took it up to plant it somewhere else, but forgot to.

Stupid global warming.

Next we start our Saturday night music documentaries with Eight Days A Week says yer woman on More 4.

Amy Whitehouse next week, she says.

So, that's a nice thing for saturday night, isn't it?

I don't know what it says about who More 4 expect to be watching this Beatles film, but we've already had ads for Dulcolax and Anusol.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Next we start our Saturday night music documentaries with Eight Days A Week says yer woman on More 4.

Amy Whitehouse next week, she says.

So, that's a nice thing for saturday night, isn't it?

Nice one, Channel 4/More 4 have the occasional good music doc but they are randomly scheduled.

A regular strand is a good idea, even if it's just for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Brendan OConnor has a new show launching 17 August. Its only 3 episodes but already sounds awful
    Cutting Edge presenter Brendan O'Connor is helming a brand new series for RTE.

Time Out is a 'Meaning of Life' style series in which he will conduct in-depth one-on-one interviews with public figures.

Brendan O'Connor is presenting Time Out on RTE One from August 17 at 9.35pm.

Majella O'Donnell, Michael Harding and Chic frontman Nile Rogers will feature in the three-part series which kicks off on August 17 at 9.35pm.

The guest line up hardly sounds riveting. Im not sure about Nile Rogers but would hazard a guess that both Majella ODonnell and Michael Harding have both been interviewed on the Late Late or Darcy during the last 12 months.

Anyway perhaps even Brendan realises its a crock of sh1te because he seems to be getting his excuses in early:-
    "Ultimately what we want with the TV show is for the person to leave a bit of blood and guts on the floor when they finish," he told the RTE Guide.

"Jesus, if you just get one moment of truth in the show it will be worth something. Otherwise, it will be just another glorious failure.

Glorious failure ahoy methinks!

• Advertisement

I am pleased to see Beefy getting a Friday Night Talk Show.

I kind of get what he is saying about hoping to get one moment of truth. Everyone knows the interview game now, the same anecdotes get repeated every time and it's rare to get anything new out of interviewees. The genre has pretty much moved to being a vehicle for laughs in the style of Graham Norton or the American Late Night hosts.

The one on one extended interview where there is nothing to be plugged is still the best format, so fingers crossed. Lousy guestlist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah current interview formats just make me miss Parky even more. OConnor in fairness was decent enough on his Saturday night show so Ill give this new one a chance. But already the guest line up for episode 1 looks awful, like do we really need yet another interview with Majella ODonnell?

There's a repeat on TG4 starting tonight at 10.30pm which might be of interest

'No Tears' was a 2002 four part drama about the 1994 Hepatitis C Scandal featuring Brenda Fricker and Maria Doyle Kennedy

It was aired shortly before the General Election that year, and the depiction of former Minister for Health Michael Noonan in the show was regarded by some as having contributed to Fine Gael's dire performance that year

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/blood-scandal-tv-drama-puts-noonan-on-defensive-26061489.html

Anything daycent on tonight at all at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,168 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Fats Domino documentary on Sky Arts at 10pm :)

Tom Waits Docu at 1.15 on BBC4. Set to record. I can see myself having an early night. I had trouble passing the alehouse on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Anything daycent on tonight at all at all?

I’m sticking with good oul Netflix
    Anthony Bourdain last series

Tubs will spend your money on a Late Late Show Special Edition from London. Do they not have enough problems already?

I'd say Graham Norton is ****ting himself

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0816/985506-late-late-show-to-broadcast-special-show-live-in-london/

Is this the same Tubridy who hates the objectifying of women?

THe YouTube still has him surrounded by a bevvy of beautiful busty buxom blonde babes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The woman in my avatar died this week, her name was Jill Janus, she's another insanely talented individual gone way too soon :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I see that RTE have blocked KillianM from posting their stuff on Youtube, shower of bastards, if only they were half as quick to upload it themselves.

Nathan Carter again, for f*cksake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Watched the BBC1 news.Listening now to some wonderful live Bruce Springsteen from the archive series,London Wembley Arena 1981.

I see that RTE have blocked KillianM from posting their stuff on Youtube, shower of bastards, if only they were half as quick to upload it themselves.

Nathan Carter again, for f*cksake.

Yeah, pure cultural vandalism from an organisation that is meant to protect and share our broadcast heritage.

They could have monetised Killian's uploads by putting a claim against the material with Youtube, instead they scorch the earth. Morons.

It's not really my thing, but TG4 are doing great coverage of the Fleadh in Drogheda. Four Hours of live coverage every night until Sunday.

Well worth a look, looks like a great buzz around the town.

TRE

RTE would want to cop on with their player. On the very rare occasion I have to use it, if I go out for a pi$$ I've to endure 5 mins of ads when i come back. They should have a system whereby you input your licence number and then get an ad free experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The RTE Player is pure and utter thrash, completely unfit for purpose with the ads. I guess nobody who actually works in RTE uses it, they all have their fancy Skoy boxes.

What pi$$es me off about it is every show on radio drops in references to it all day. Usually one presenter referencing another. "You can get it on the player".

RTE has turned into one big ad for, yes you guessed it .. RTE.

Weird Al Yankovic on bass for Kila, wouldn't it be better they utilised his accordion playing skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,168 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I’m surprised that chap playing Phoenix Park tomorrow still has a career, especially after that difficult third album.

Here’s hoping for a duet with John Lydon, who also happens to be in town :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I’m surprised that chap playing Phoenix Park tomorrow still has a career, especially after that difficult third album.

Here’s hoping for a duet with John Lydon, who also happens to be in town :pac:

I'd expect RTE to release the best of on VHS, probably spend €1.65 million on marketing and design.

Advertisement