Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Clare beat cork by 2

My mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I had written a piece on how Waterford might best use Tadhg de Búrca's talents and was about to post it when PTH2000 raised an alarm that Tadhg may have left the county panel. Since there has been no confirmation of this, for what it's worth, here is the piece in question.

One of the marks of a good coach in any sport is the ability to identify how a particular player’s skillset can best contribute to overall team performance. Take the case of Limerick hurler Declan Hannon. At underage level, Hannon was an outstanding scoring forward, but when he moved up to senior level he found it very difficult to make an impact. With the emergence of Limerick’s new forward talent over the last couple of years Hannon looked like being completely sidelined. However, this year manager John Kiely decided that Hannon’s skills would best be deployed in the problematic position of centre back. Hannon went on to have a great year and make a key contribution to Limerick’s All-Ireland success.

There are clear parallels here with Ken McGrath. Despite his superb underage showings at centre back, when McGrath moved up to senior it was generally reckoned that half-forward was his best position. However, despite occasional outstanding performances (the 2002 Munster final being a case in point), McGrath frequently saw games passing him by, the ensuing frustration only making matters worse. Justin McCarthy’s failure to move him away from Gerry Quinn’s iron grip in the 2002 All-Ireland semi-final was one of the great managerial blunders in Waterford’s hurling history. McCarthy eventually saw the light and moved McGrath back to centre back where his career – and his contribution to the team – really blossomed.

We are seeing something similar happening with Austin Gleeson. Gleeson was superb at centre back in the winning Waterford minor team of 2013 and under 21 team of 2016 (his second-half performance in the Munster final that year against Tipperary brought back memories of Mick Roche at his best). Yet Derek McGrath seemed determined to play him everywhere except centre back and, despite occasional flashes of brilliance and genius, his performances tended to be patchy. This, for me, was a terrible waste of almost unprecedented talent and I hope his clubmate Pádraig Fanning will do the right thing in this respect.

Or take the case of Jamie Barron. Barron was first selected on the Waterford minor team at the age of 16 at corner back, even though he was playing up front for his club. Because of his outstanding skills he stood out in the position, where he then remained for most of the remainder of his under-age career. When his fellow clubman Michael Ryan took over the county senior team he moved Barron to the half forward line, where he had been shooting out the lights for his club. However, he just could not seem to get to grips with the position at intercounty level, until some bright spark (reputedly Ger Cunningham) moved him to midfield at UCC. The rest is (and hopefully will continue to be) history.

Conor Gleeson is another gifted Fourmilewater hurler who played in the forwards in Waterford’s 2013 minor winning team. However, in his first year at under 21 he was deployed at corner back where the team was stuck, whereas it was well covered for forwards. Like Jamie Barron, Gleeson’s skills meant he did a good job in the position, and ever since he has been looked upon as a man-marking defender. While he is excellent in this role, I reckon it does not make the best use of his abilities and that he would be of more benefit to the team in a forward position.

At the moment, Waterford appear to have no shortage of half back material. Apart from Austin Gleeson (hopefully), Tadhg de Búrca, Darragh Fives and Philip Mahony, we now have Michael Harney and Jordan Henley challenging for places with Seamus Keating, Conor Gleeson and Kieran Bennett (and possibly Shane Bennett) all capable of doing a job here. In this situation I think serious thought should be given to trying Tadhg de Búrca out in a forward role. He is undoubtedly a superb defender, but the skills be brings to bear in that position – including fantastic anticipation and reading of the game, ability in the air, great ball skills, ability to go past opposing players, pace, two-sided striking and good judgement – are all skills that any forward would love to have. Winning ball in the half forward line, running at defences and linking up with the likes of Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran, de Búrca could cause havoc. With Tom Devine and Maurice Shanahan now gone, Waterford could struggle in the ball-winning department up front, and de Búrca, in my mind, has the ability to more than make up for our deficiencies in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I had written a piece on how Waterford might best use Tadhg de Búrca's talents and was about to post it when PTH2000 raised an alarm that Tadhg may have left the county panel. Since there has been no confirmation of this, for what it's worth, here is the piece in question.

One of the marks of a good coach in any sport is the ability to identify how a particular player’s skillset can best contribute to overall team performance. Take the case of Limerick hurler Declan Hannon. At underage level, Hannon was an outstanding scoring forward, but when he moved up to senior level he found it very difficult to make an impact. With the emergence of Limerick’s new forward talent over the last couple of years Hannon looked like being completely sidelined. However, this year manager John Kiely decided that Hannon’s skills would best be deployed in the problematic position of centre back. Hannon went on to have a great year and make a key contribution to Limerick’s All-Ireland success.

There are clear parallels here with Ken McGrath. Despite his superb underage showings at centre back, when McGrath moved up to senior it was generally reckoned that half-forward was his best position. However, despite occasional outstanding performances (the 2002 Munster final being a case in point), McGrath frequently saw games passing him by, the ensuing frustration only making matters worse. Justin McCarthy’s failure to move him away from Gerry Quinn’s iron grip in the 2002 All-Ireland semi-final was one of the great managerial blunders in Waterford’s hurling history. McCarthy eventually saw the light and moved McGrath back to centre back where his career – and his contribution to the team – really blossomed.

We are seeing something similar happening with Austin Gleeson. Gleeson was superb at centre back in the winning Waterford minor team of 2013 and under 21 team of 2016 (his second-half performance in the Munster final that year against Tipperary brought back memories of Mick Roche at his best). Yet Derek McGrath seemed determined to play him everywhere except centre back and, despite occasional flashes of brilliance and genius, his performances tended to be patchy. This, for me, was a terrible waste of almost unprecedented talent and I hope his clubmate Pádraig Fanning will do the right thing in this respect.

Or take the case of Jamie Barron. Barron was first selected on the Waterford minor team at the age of 16 at corner back, even though he was playing up front for his club. Because of his outstanding skills he stood out in the position, where he then remained for most of the remainder of his under-age career. When his fellow clubman Michael Ryan took over the county senior team he moved Barron to the half forward line, where he had been shooting out the lights for his club. However, he just could not seem to get to grips with the position at intercounty level, until some bright spark (reputedly Ger Cunningham) moved him to midfield at UCC. The rest is (and hopefully will continue to be) history.

Conor Gleeson is another gifted Fourmilewater hurler who played in the forwards in Waterford’s 2013 minor winning team. However, in his first year at under 21 he was deployed at corner back where the team was stuck, whereas it was well covered for forwards. Like Jamie Barron, Gleeson’s skills meant he did a good job in the position, and ever since he has been looked upon as a man-marking defender. While he is excellent in this role, I reckon it does not make the best use of his abilities and that he would be of more benefit to the team in a forward position.

At the moment, Waterford appear to have no shortage of half back material. Apart from Austin Gleeson (hopefully), Tadhg de Búrca, Darragh Fives and Philip Mahony, we now have Michael Harney and Jordan Henley challenging for places with Seamus Keating, Conor Gleeson and Kieran Bennett (and possibly Shane Bennett) all capable of doing a job here. In this situation I think serious thought should be given to trying Tadhg de Búrca out in a forward role. He is undoubtedly a superb defender, but the skills be brings to bear in that position – including fantastic anticipation and reading of the game, ability in the air, great ball skills, ability to go past opposing players, pace, two-sided striking and good judgement – are all skills that any forward would love to have. Winning ball in the half forward line, running at defences and linking up with the likes of Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran, de Búrca could cause havoc. With Tom Devine and Maurice Shanahan now gone, Waterford could struggle in the ball-winning department up front, and de Búrca, in my mind, has the ability to more than make up for our deficiencies in this area.

Keating dropped from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Any reason why you didn't name Conor Prunty? To me he's the obvious next in line if he can stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Haven’t heard from anyone else about that TDB rumour and I’ve asked people close to the setup and it’s news to them too. So don’t know where it’s coming from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

With Tom Devine and Maurice Shanahan now gone
    What happened with Maurice?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Any reason why you didn't name Conor Prunty? To me he's the obvious next in line if he can stay injury free.

I was envisaging Conor Prunty as a potential full back replacement for Barry Coughlan. He played in that position at minor level for Waterford and did well. His height and strength would appear to make him very suited for this position. But you are right - he has done very well for Waterford Under 21s and Abbeyside in the half back line and is certainly a candidate for there also.

God can't wait for the new season it feels like an age since we last played

Really have to make there mind up about that face of the Offaly Venue prob be Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭914

PTH2009 wrote: »
    God can't wait for the new season it feels like an age since we last played

Really have to make there mind up about that face of the Offaly Venue prob be Thurles

Probably port laoise or nowlan park. Wouldn't think it would be semple.

914 wrote: »
    Probably port laoise or nowlan park. Wouldn't think it would be semple.

Looking at the fixtures on the day of the Offaly game, Sun 27th Jan
    Kilkenny vs Cork- Nowlan Park 2pm

Tipp vs Clare in Thurles is on the night before so is free the Sunday and also Portloaise is free too (Ironically Offaly vs Laois in the football the same day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

IanVW wrote: »

Hopefully he will be climbing the steps of the Hogan next August

Very good appointment, a natural born leader

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Hopefully he will be climbing the steps of the Hogan next August

Very good appointment, a natural born leader

He's got good chance as anyone, one of the most open championships that i can remember, Limerick came from nowhere last year so lets hope we can do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Happy new year lads, here’s to a big year for Waterford GAA in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

happy new year lads , excellent appointment in terms of captain , a tough no nonsense defender that has been so consistent for ye over the years , with the new format no one could predict 2019 but best of luck along the way lads ....i am sure we will clash at some stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Haven’t heard from anyone else about that TDB rumour and I’ve asked people close to the setup and it’s news to them too. So don’t know where it’s coming from

Nice to see that particular bs rumour skewered by tdb being named as a joint vice captain of the team.

Happy new year lads... our year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Joint vice captains - by god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Are we playing Cork in Mallow tonight? Anyone going?
    Be interesting to see the team and panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I find it awfully sinister how TdeB managed to dangle the threat of leaving the panel over Pauric in order to gain the plum role of joint vice-captain. He's clearly not going to be able to make the tough decisions. Of course, some might say the rumour that Tadgh was walking away was ráiméis, but that would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Nolan, McNulty, S Fives, Connors, Henley, O’Brien, Moran, Brick, Barron, Foran, Kearney, O’Halloran, Ryan, Bennett, C Roche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Goalscorer

Seamus keating dropped off panel?? Anyone know the details

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Goalscorer wrote: »
    Seamus keating dropped off panel?? Anyone know the details

Is there much detail to it? He was on the periphery of the panel the last few years getting minimal game time. The introduction of Harney and Henley into that sector was probably enough to push him out of the reckoning.
    Always felt he had potential to push on but never materialised under Derek and not going to happen now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Viz Top Tips

When you hear that someone has dropped off the Waterford panel, be sure to ask the person who told you about it for more information rather than saying nothing and directing your further questions to a bunch of online strangers.

F. Field
    Dungarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Did Moran not retire? Was he convinced to stay on or did I imagine that he retired from inter county?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭deisedude

IanVW wrote: »

Be interested to see if they line out as named.

Brick at wing back, in particular, is intriguing

Did Moran not retire? Was he convinced to stay on or did I imagine that he retired from inter county?

Never retired.

Really thought they would of rested Moran, Brick etc

Cork have a strong out too

Won't make the game but hoping for a decent performance

Really thought they would of rested Moran, Brick etc

Cork have a strong out too

Won't make the game but hoping for a decent performance

Rested? Everyone of them has had a fine long rest. Probably more to do with having some experience around the fellas who are getting a chance.

• Advertisement

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Rested? Everyone of them has had a fine long rest. Probably more to do with having some experience around the fellas who are getting a chance.

True

No matter where the venue we should beat Offaly but only last year they beat Dublin in Croke Park!!. Laois and Carlow should be wins too for us. Dublin and Galway will be the tests. Surprised were not playing Dublin in Croke Park as there playing Mayo in the football the same weekend on the Sat 23rd Feb, were in Parnell Park on the 24th Feb

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement