Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Yet again Waterford name a team but not the subs. Unlike Cork who gave a full list of subs to the press for this game. Same bullsh#t as McGrath was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Three points each after 8 mins

Waterford 0-8 cork 0-4 13 mins

0-10 to 0-5 20 mins

Cork goal

• Advertisement

1-8 0-11. Half hour gone

1-11 0-12 HT

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

PTH2009, Do you find this worrying?

Brick goal

Waterford1-15 cork 1-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

KevIRL wrote: »
    Waterford1-15 cork 1-12

Any sweeper?

IanVW wrote: »
    Any sweeper?

None

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Buff Egan reporting from the game on Snapchat if anyone follows. Some goal by Brick and nice point by Tommy Ryan.

1-17 1-14 21 mins 2nd half

1-20 1-15. Seven mins left

Waterford 1-24 cork 1-18 result

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

result from Mallow, Cork 1-18 Waterford 1-24.

About 14 points for Stephen Bennett, tommy Ryan, Mikey Kearney, Jamie Barron and Kevin Moran got a couple each anyway. Brick with the goal

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Always good for a new manager to start with a win, regardless of the stakes. Surprised to see Moran and brick named in the starting team this early in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

puzl wrote: »
    Always good for a new manager to start with a win, regardless of the stakes. Surprised to see Moran and brick named in the starting team this early in the season

Prob there for their experience to steady some younger lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brick loves scoring goals against Cork

Good win and the Clare game Sunday will now be a shoot out for the final

For anyone at the game how did the team play tactically, anyone impress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

"beginning his 17th season in white and blue"

Let's just take a minute to appreciate what an absolute legend we have in Brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Yes I like that it maybe only preseason but it shows there's an intent to hit the ground running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Anyone attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Good standard of hurling last night. Big crowd there, around 2,300. Cork made 5 or 6 changes to their named team similar to the Clare game while Waterford lined out as selected more or less with Moran wing back, Brick midfield and O’Halloran wing forward.
    Use of the ball was good throughout the field working short passes to find a man in space before hitting the inside line much of the time or picking a half forward dropping deep as the cork backs retreated to cover off the anticipated long ball. Mikey Kearney benefited from this on a few occasions and had a fine game overall.
    No sign of any sweeper. Kevin Moran was very strong wing back, especially in the first half where he scored 2 huge points. Brick was brilliant on puckouts and breaks, often knocking it to the ground himself and then coming away from a scrum of bodies with it himself. He hurled more ball than I can remember him doing in a long time in the first half.
    Nolan was generally very good, 1 or 2 puckouts went astray as he tried to pinpoint men on the sideline about 65 yards out but he made one good save also and was extremely solid under the dropping ball under pressure from Cork forwards. Shane Fives was solid full back, Coughlan hardly hurled a ball but bigger tests await his credentials there. I think shortly after coming on Conor Prunty slotted in to full back and Fives went corner but positions were hard to make out at that stage.
    Jordan Henley was under pressure in the first half but grew into the game in the second. Mark O’Brien was good centre back despite 1 or 2 wayward passes. He’s not a commanding centre back by any means but he filled the centre well and supported teammates very well under puckouts and in general play.
    Barron wasn’t on much ball in the first half but still scored a lovely point and he replicated this in the second half. He was more involved in the second half and won one free after working tremendously hard to fight off the attention of 4 cork defenders.
    O’Halloran in general made good use of the ball in general but didn’t work the scoreboard. Kearney was involved in a lot of the play setting up and scoring himself, however he did hit a few wides also although there was dispute over one of those. Tommy Ryan was lively as ever in the corner winnng frees and making a nuisance of himself as well as working the scoreboard twice. One of these may have been a goal had Foran been more accurate in what was a fairly straightforward pass into Ryan. Foran tried gamely throughout, however he wasn’t as effective as he can be on winning puckouts and seemed to lose his balance on the only 2 chances he got to look at the posts and the opportunity was lost. Stephen Bennett had a fine game, deadly accurate from frees. I think one dropped short but none were put wide. He got 2 good scores from play in the first half also and his overall work rate was extremely encouraging. Colm Roche never really got into the game. Prunty, Midget, Austin, Jack Prendergast and Kieran Bennett were all introduced. Austin went in centre back but was sitting very deep to protect the lead it seemed at that stage. Prendergast got a nice point from play.

Overall an encouraging display with the likes of Tadhg, Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran, Darragh Fives, Pauric, Philip and Sok to add in to the mix yet too although bigger tests most certainly await.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Big crowd there, around 2,300.

If Cork ever got their act together they'd be invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

Nice to get the win but I'm surprised we went with such an experienced (old ) team. The 2018 final was on TV last night, Limerick had one outfield player over the age of 25, Galway the previous year weren't much older, I think that's the approach we need to take, and surely these are the games to be doing it. One thing that really stood out was the power and athleticism of the Limerick half forwards Kyle Hayes, Ger Hegarty and Tom Morrisey, so I'm surprised JP Lucey hasn't at least been looked at by the management, He was v impressive against Cork in the U21 last year, getting the better of Cork allstar Mark Coleman in what in hindsight was a very good Waterford performance. Even more so when it seems at least 2 of the other Waterford forwards that night Peter Hogan and Jack Prendergast have been called up, both well deserved but they are less physical and neither made the impression Lucey made that evening. Seamus Keating is another player in that mode but I read he is dropped this year. I hope we're not returning to the old waterford system where lads from junior clubs like Keating and Lucey need to be twice as good as lads from senior clubs to get a go, similarly TDB was prob overlooked for captaincy for a similar reason. (no disrespect to Noel Connors who is an absolute legend but I thought he might be under pressure for a starting place from some of the young bucks)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

ovalu wrote: »
    Nice to get the win but I'm surprised we went with such an experienced (old ) team. The 2018 final was on TV last night, Limerick had one outfield player over the age of 25, Galway the previous year weren't much older, I think that's the approach we need to take, and surely these are the games to be doing it. One thing that really stood out was the power and athleticism of the Limerick half forwards Kyle Hayes, Ger Hegarty and Tom Morrisey, so I'm surprised JP Lucey hasn't at least been looked at by the management, He was v impressive against Cork in the U21 last year, getting the better of Cork allstar Mark Coleman in what in hindsight was a very good Waterford performance. Even more so when it seems at least 2 of the other Waterford forwards that night Peter Hogan and Jack Prendergast have been called up, both well deserved but they are less physical and neither made the impression Lucey made that evening. Seamus Keating is another player in that mode but I read he is dropped this year. I hope we're not returning to the old waterford system where lads from junior clubs like Keating and Lucey need to be twice as good as lads from senior clubs to get a go, similarly TDB was prob overlooked for captaincy for a similar reason. (no disrespect to Noel Connors who is an absolute legend but I thought he might be under pressure for a starting place from some of the young bucks)

One game in and I'm already reading this sort of rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

ovalu wrote: »

Lucey was indeed decent that evening. He was also anonymous as Shamrocks were eliminated from the Western Intermediate (not junior) Championship by Ballysaggart, with Colm Roche the only attacker carrying the fight to Ballysaggart on that evening. Roche is a part of the senior panel so how you can claim Lucey isn’t involved due to the level his club play at I do not know. Peter Hogan is performing well for Ballygunner at present, is a young player and is worth a look for sure.
    To suggest Tadhg was overlooked for captaincy due to being a junior club hurler is ludicrous in the extreme, not least as he is an intermediate club hurler and very nearly guided Clashmore to senior hurling this year.
    Noel Connors has been a stalwart for Waterford for many a year now and is never shown up in championship despite regularly picking up the opposition danger man. Who do you envisage replacing Noel??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement