Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Is this current crop of players going to go down same road as the 1998 to 2008 group....?

Unfortunately you might well be on to something there. Hope not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Motivator

I won’t have a bad word said about the county board - the chairman, the secretary or treasurer.

The have a track record of delivering for Waterford Gaa for last 20 years.

Whatever happens & who ever says what, none of this is their fault.

Yeah I agree 100%. Without the Co. Board we wouldn’t have seen Jedward or Bressie in Fraher Field costing €25,000+. Without the Co. Board we wouldn’t have had the Munster Final in Thurles in 2015 so they could make a few bob. Without the Co. Board we wouldn’t have got to travel to exotic places such as Ennis or Limerick three weeks on the bounce. They really looked after our Co. football chanpions Stradbally when they refused to look for a postponement of their provincial game a couple of years back and if it wasn’t for the Co. Board we’d have a much stronger Senior Football panel because the Stradbally lads would be available to us.

The Co. Board are an absolute joke. Sure if they had their way McGrath would have been gone after his disasterous first year in charge. The Co. Board wanted rid of him but they knew if they gave him the chop then the players would have gone on strike or just walked away full stop. The board are a waste of time and nothing will ever change. How you can’t blame the board in all this is mind blowing. Look at their carry on on WLR earlier this summer and look at the carry on with Tom Murphy and Cullen. This wouldn’t be tolerated in any other county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

More Fake News ?

Hopefully

Sean Power :confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

On the club championship point, I think it's inevitable that the appointment is going to be a Waterford man. If they're genuinely interested in the role, they'll already be attending club games if available to do so.

Be a different story if it was an external appointment, but it looks like they'll revert to internal after two viable candidates rejected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

They already were.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Joe Quaid getting involved? Or just coincidence he’s gone from Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 38,005 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

benji79 wrote: »
    Joe Quaid getting involved? Or just coincidence he’s gone from Kildare

He's going to Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He's going to Westmeath

Thanks. That explains it
    Surprised to see him leaving Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Any truth that fanning etc have turned it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

As I'm neither a club player or member at the moment, from the outside looking in, Waterford GAA is potentially at a real turning point. We currently have no hurling or football manager, and we all know the situation regarding facilties within the county.

From a senior hurling perspective, if they get the right appointment, they can look forward to potentially challenging for titles again, and maybe we'll have another period like the 1990s to look forward to, with a number of counties getting their bite of the cherry. Get the appointment wrong, in my opinion Waterford go back to having a prolonged period in the wilderness.

With the football, they totally squandered a potentially golden generation of players who won the Munster U21 in 2003. There was potential to do what Tipp did and drive on, but they absolutely made a mess of it between lack of structures and rubbish managerial appointments, pouring money into outside hurling managers instead. If they get the right appointment, they can go out and play with pride in Div.4 and put the county in a decent light - nobody wants a team representing the county that's seen as a laughing stock.

At club level, we seem to be delighted if we can complete a championship in time to enter teams into Munster competitions, and we regularly sacrifice the football championship to scrape a hurling team in. Games are really badly attended, and I can't see any real urgency to try and do anything about that.

While I'd be quite reluctant to criticise the volunteers at Board level individually, is anyone actually convinced that they're dynamic enough and have the right level of corporate skills to drive an organisation forward? They've pissed off the likes of Tom Murphy as one of their major sponsors, it seems as though they pissed off McGrath plenty of times, the facilities are a joke, they got bullied into accepting away fixtures in 2018...and the list goes on and on.

I would like to see Waterford look up the road to Wexford, who've had many bad years since 1996, but seem to be getting their house back in order. They recently advertised a Chief Executive role, they appointed a Commercial manager recently, they have a stadium that can hold games and inspire the next generation of kids, and they have a Centre of Excellence to help bring them through. If I was a Waterford GAA official, I'd be going up there with my notepad looking for ideas.

If we got some professionals in to look after the corporate roles, they could leverage the political nous the County Board volunteers have, and maybe then we could move forward with more professionalism and success.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,005 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

why is there so much dislike about Sean Power getting the senior job ??

He won 2 underage All Irelands/1x U21 Munster as manager and seemed to get the best of respect from the players. Although we have to look at the defeats in the 2013 Minor run (we had the 2013 Munster final won but Limerick came back to level it and won the replay) and the heartbreaking 2017 Munster under 21 semi final loss to Cork. We gave a good account of ourselfs this year against a very good Cork under 21 side under Sean Powers guidance

Not managing a senior team at any level is a worry and i dont understand the reasons behind it

He won 2 underage All Irelands/1x U21 Munster as manager and seemed to get the best of respect from the players. Although we have to look at the defeats in the 2013 Minor run (we had the 2013 Munster final won but Limerick came back to level it and won the replay) and the heartbreaking 2017 Munster under 21 semi final loss to Cork. We gave a good account of ourselfs this year against a very good Cork under 21 side under Sean Powers guidance

Not managing a senior team at any level is a worry and i dont understand the reasons behind it

What has Power been doing in recent years? Am I right in saying that he's never managed his own club at senior level?

If he was doing his time properly he should have at least managed a senior club side - in Waterford or elsewhere, managed a Fitzgibbon team or at least been part of the ticket for another senior intercounty setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Deiseen

hardybuck wrote: »

What has Power been doing in recent years? Am I right in saying that he's never managed his own club at senior level?

If he was doing his time properly he should have at least managed a senior club side - in Waterford or elsewhere, managed a Fitzgibbon team or at least been part of the ticket for another senior intercounty setup.

Who cares about club or colleges. The man has managed two intercounty teams to All Ireland's.

Jesus, if he won the senior all Ireland club title three years in a row, people would be saying "ahhhhh but he hasn't managed an intercounty team!"

Even hurler on the ditch has said it should be given to Sean Power and I've never seen him say anything positive about anyone.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Who cares about club or colleges. The man has managed two intercounty teams to All Ireland's.

Jesus, if he won the senior all Ireland club title three years in a row, people would be saying "ahhhhh but he hasn't managed an intercounty team!"

Even hurler on the ditch has said it should be given to Sean Power and I've never seen him say anything positive about anyone.

Minor and underage is a different game to senior, if you've ever really watched it.

I don't think you'll find many senior county managers at the top table to went from managing an underage side to a senior intercounty team without any type of senior experience.

Minor and underage is a different game to senior, if you've ever really watched it.

I don't think you'll find many senior county managers at the top table to went from managing an underage side to a senior intercounty team without any type of senior experience.

I don't think you'll find many All Ireland winning managers in Waterford. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Well the players need to be asked what their problem is with him so because that’s where the issue is stemming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

John kiely

I don't think you'll find many All Ireland winning managers in Waterford. End of story.

So you're agreeing with my point?

• Advertisement

thesultan wrote: »
    John kiely

John Kiely, in addition to winning an U21 with Limerick, was also a selector with John Allen's senior setup, and managed the county intermediate team.

He's also captained the county senior footballers and been part of a the panel that played in the 1994 and 1996 All Ireland finals, so saw the game at senior level from both ends before taking on the top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Are Tipperary not on the verge of doing exactly this, and Clare did the same, surely the step from 21's to senior is a natural progression. 

It seem's there are some here that will find fault no matter what, most be an awful burden to be so negative all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

cul beag wrote: »
    Well the players need to be asked what their problem is with him so because that’s where the issue is stemming from.

Do the players have a problem with Sean power or is with Flynn being part of the management team ?

So you're agreeing with my point?

No, not necessarily. Underage is different yes I agree but if you are going down that road, then you can't use club hurling as a comparison. As it's also different to intercounty.

He's the best we have. Give it to him.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Are Tipperary not on the verge of doing exactly this, and Clare did the same, surely the step from 21's to senior is a natural progression. 

It seem's there are some here that will find fault no matter what, most be an awful burden to be so negative all the time.

In fairness he's linked to the job, like Power. Unlike Power he's a former All Star and won titles at senior level, so maybe that could bridge an experience gap at that level if he ends up getting it.

Also, we haven't won an U21 fixture since 2016.

I'm still not sure if Power has indeed done anything else apart from working with underage. Maybe someone knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Also, we haven't won an U21 fixture since 2016.

Performed well above expectations though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

cul beag wrote: »

All the players or just the player reps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

2gw5ep.png

I'm fairly pragmatic, and he may indeed be the best that's available.

However, there was an awful lot of talk about him being a lucky general, getting one of the best groups of players that ever came available.

Now I'm sure he had a role in those lads development, but I'm sure he must have been hearing those stories about himself. He seems to have done very little to have dispelled that talk, and if anything he's probably fuelled it further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I'm fairly pragmatic, and he may indeed be the best that's available.

However, there was an awful lot of talk about him being a lucky general, getting one of the best groups of players that ever came available.

Now I'm sure he had a role in those lads development, but I'm sure he must have been hearing those stories about himself. He seems to have done very little to have dispelled that talk, and if anything he's probably fuelled it further.
    He managed them from Tony Forrestal up so a little more than a role, it should be used as a massive plus in his favour as opposed to a stick to beat him with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement