Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

cul beag wrote: »
    Fanning Browne Murray Dunne. The new management team.

Heard this earlier also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

KevIRL wrote: »

Heard this earlier also.

Stop your worrying me now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Tommy Dunne and James Murray?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Tommy Dunne and James Murray?

Yep. Murray is a strange one. Nearly as strange as Eoin Murphy!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

914 wrote: »
    Liamore stay up. Maurice scoring 1-09 tonight while Dan netted two goals.

Fourmile are also safe after a 5 point win over Ballyduff. Ballyduff and An Rinn face off in the relegation final.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

cul beag wrote:
    Yep. Murray is a strange one. Nearly as strange as Eoin Murphy!

None would be stranger than Fanning! County board have made some crazy decisions over the years, that would be the most regressive managerial appointment .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I hope this is not true.

Is padraic fanning the manager?
    Years of negative hurling as a selector under Davy. Never won nowt as a selector or manager. Has managed club teams in Kilkenny and Cork and won nothing. I am not including managing Mount Sion years ago as they were so far ahead of everyone even Ballygunner at the time.

Tony Browne
    Great player.
    Terrible as an under 21 selector under Derek Lyons where a serious team lost due to poor management and extremely negative tactics versus Clare.
    Did a good job with Lismore. Munster Intermediate champions
    Poor with WIT fresher's last year judging by results.
    James Murray
    Don't know has he been a selector/manager with any team.
    Tommy Dunne
    Selector under Declan Ryan with Tipp where they went from all Ireland champions under sheedy to getting their best player to chase tommy Walsh around croker. Tipp regressed. Won nowt.
    Coach under ger Cunningham with Dublin where Dublin went from all Ireland contenders under Daly to becoming a very poor team. Won nowt.

This is not a good management team.
    But what can we expect when we have the likes of paddy Joe and Pat flynn in charge.

Sean Power should have got the job weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

I have spoken to an ex player in Cork with the big medals in their pockets who regard Murray as a born manager and leader from their time in UCC, not the first time I heard it from people in UCC Hurling circles (I attended shortly after him)... he is meant to be serious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pogue eile wrote: »
    So to put it another way you agree that they are being over rated based on a small sample size and returned to the true levels this year?

No I don't agree with at all. Those are really good hurlers. They went 2 years unbeaten. 13 games or so. In the past that would be 4 years unbeaten given the extra games.

Graham Mulcahy is up for HOTY. You would probably be committed if someone said that a few months ago. Such is life.

JesusRef wrote: »
    I have spoken to an ex player in Cork with the big medals in their pockets who regard Murray as a born manager and leader from their time in UCC, not the first time I heard it from people in UCC Hurling circles (I attended shortly after him)... he is meant to be serious

Heard the complete opposite. He was in charge of Modeligo last year and ran a total **** show.

• Advertisement

New fanning management team as outlined last night to be announced today apparently

New fanning management team as outlined last night to be announced today apparently

So who is the new manager?

So who is the new manager?

Pauric fanning by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭914

Wouldn't be too excited by this developement. Disappointing to miss out on pat ryan and mattie kenny, would love to hear the reasons behind it.

If it is pauric fanning and sean power applied and was interested in the position, thats mind blowing that he wouldn't be selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyone know (if this is to be the case) how the players feel about it? Can’t imagine they’d be too inspired by it tbh.

Best of luck to all Waterford underage sides this weekend, would cap a fairly miserable year if one team could go all the way or at least show a bit of promising talent in the pipeline.

914 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too excited by this developement. Disappointing to miss out on pat ryan and mattie kenny, would love to hear the reasons behind it.

If it is pauric fanning and sean power applied and was interested in the position, thats mind blowing that he wouldn't be selected.
    Financial reasons behind the latter we’re led to believe and personal matters behind the first choice. As regards our native prospects only Fanning was nominated by a club from within the county, Sean Power wasn’t.

Heard the complete opposite. He was in charge of Modeligo last year and ran a total **** show.

Heard the same also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

cul beag;107885418

Tommy Dunne

Selector under Declan Ryan with Tipp where they went from all Ireland champions under sheedy to getting their best player to chase tommy Walsh around croker. Tipp regressed. Won nowt. Coach under ger Cunningham with Dublin where Dublin went from all Ireland contenders under Daly to becoming a very poor team. Won nowt. 

I'm sorry but that is horse shi*e of the highest order, Tommy Dunne is a top top class coach and has won plenty. Ask anyone in Tipp if they would like him involved in our Senior set up and you will get a yes every time.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    cul beag;107885418

Tommy Dunne

Selector under Declan Ryan with Tipp where they went from all Ireland champions under sheedy to getting their best player to chase tommy Walsh around croker. Tipp regressed. Won nowt. Coach under ger Cunningham with Dublin where Dublin went from all Ireland contenders under Daly to becoming a very poor team. Won nowt. 

I'm sorry but that is horse shi*e of the highest order, Tommy Dunne is a top top class coach and has won plenty. Ask anyone in Tipp if they would like him involved in our Senior set up and you will get a yes every time.

Not arguing the coach side of it as have heard the same, but I thought opinion was divided on him in Tipp based on the stint with Declan Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

No opinion on Tommy himself has always been very positive, his input under the Declan Ryan period was very limited. He was manager of the Tipp minors this year. Have never played under him myself but know plenty who have and all agreed he was the best coach they have ever played under. One only needds to read his analysis articles every Monday to apreciate that not only is he a great cach but he is a very astute reader of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

Senior hurling QF
    Abbeyside: 2.22
    Tallow : 0.10

Great result for the village

Another great weekend in the Tony Forristal and Sonny Walsh competitions.

Cork beat Kilkenny in the A final. Waterford performed well, beating Tipp convincingly but losing out to Kilkenny so failing to make the finals.

In the Sonny Walsh Cork also were victorious beating Clare in the final. Again Waterford won one and lost one.

Overall we were very competitive in both grades which is comforting to see.

The Rebel’s are well and truly back at underage level looking very strong now down through the grades.

On another note it is sad to see Offaly no longer fielding a team at TF. They had only one team which competed at Sonny Walsh (B)

I just want to say a big well done to the organising committee for maintaining this wonderfully prestigious competition on a voluntary basis. It’s something we should be hugely proud of here in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah was keeping an eye on the scores yesterday, both TF and SW teams put up good scores in their wins over Tipp and Wexford respectively. Something like 2-16 which is great scoring for 30-40min games I believe. So hopefully a few decent lads coming through.

Anyone know how any of the u15 and u16 teams did? I know neither went on to win it out anyway. Cork did a clean sweep in all of these, they cleaned up the last two or three years also so it’s a bit depressing to know how strong they’ll likely be in a few years at senior level. They’re absolutely dominating underage but to be fair with the pick they have, it’s not much of a surprise.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah was keeping an eye on the scores yesterday, both TF and SW teams put up good scores in their wins over Tipp and Wexford respectively. Something like 2-16 which is great scoring for 30-40min games I believe. So hopefully a few decent lads coming through.

Anyone know how any of the u15 and u16 teams did? I know neither went on to win it out anyway. Cork did a clean sweep in all of these, they cleaned up the last two or three years also so it’s a bit depressing to know how strong they’ll likely be in a few years at senior level. They’re absolutely dominating underage but to be fair with the pick they have, it’s not much of a surprise.

Didn’t hear much I expect some reports on them today. Yea when you put into context the number of clubs in Cork I’d go as far as to say it’s triple in size to Waterford, or not far off it. It’s actually baffling how little success they’ve had at minor and u21 in the past 15 years. Although I beleive they’ll take this years u21 title.

From our point of view we cannot compete with numbers but we can stay consistently competitive in the sense that our young players are exposed to a high quality of coaching and standard of hurling in schools, colleges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cake Man wrote: »
     Cork did a clean sweep in all of these,

Eh no they didn't Clare won the U-15 and Galway won the U-16.

Didn’t hear much I expect some reports on them today. Yea when you put into context the number of clubs in Cork I’d go as far as to say it’s triple in size to Waterford, or not far off it. It’s actually baffling how little success they’ve had at minor and u21 in the past 15 years. Although I beleive they’ll take this years u21 title.

From our point of view we cannot compete with numbers but we can stay consistently competitive in the sense that our young players are exposed to a high quality of coaching and standard of hurling in schools, colleges etc.

Pretty sure they've 5 times as many clubs, 250 Vs 50 odd

• Registered Users Posts: 38,161 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

HT- DLS 1-7- Mount Sion 0-08

DLS have the wind for the 2nd half

DLS 3-12- Mount Sion 0-10- 43 mins

5-17 1-16 full-time. Gleeson got 1-11

• Advertisement

5-17 1-16 full-time. Gleeson got 1-11

Good score for DLS. Sad to see the demise of Mount Sion

2 more QFs to go Ballygunner vs Roanmore and Dungarvan vs Passage

I imagine it's an open draw for the semis and we could possibly get DLS vs Ballygunner ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement