Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will we see the Championship kick off on the 10th May or will it be extended to start later in the month/june etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will we see the Championship kick off on the 10th May or will it extended to start later in the month/june etc.

10th June would be optimistic in my opinion.

hardybuck wrote: »

Any time before augest would be extremely optimistic imho

When are they going to train,be looking at minimum of a month training needed,be suprised if social restrictions are slackened by mid june

Tbh hurts me.to say,but i thinks its time to.call off whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

It’s gas how people still haven’t grasped the seriousness of the situation. suggesting the championship will Simply crack on by 10th June.... hilarious. We won’t even be at the peak of this by then

It’s gas how people still haven’t grasped the seriousness of the situation. suggesting the championship will Simply crack on by 10th June.... hilarious. We won’t even be at the peak of this by then

Well if the emergency is downgraded in June/July games would be possible over the summer.

It becomes a question whether the GAA pander to requests from players for months of training prep or just give them a months notice of championship games and tell them to get on with it.

County boards annually give clubs about 2 weeks notice of championships restarting so the precedent is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Well if the emergency is downgraded in June/July games would be possible over the summer.

It becomes a question whether the GAA pander to requests from players for months of training prep or just give them a months notice of championship games and tell them to get on with it.

County boards annually give clubs about 2 weeks notice of championships restarting so the precedent is there.

I think everyone would be happy to just go back playing. Plus it could work in favour in favour of the weaker teams in competitions as everyone starts on a level playing field With little or no work done thus a chance of catching the bigger teams out of sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Even if this is downgraded come June/July I can't see how big attendances at championship games would be allowed. They'll still be cases around and any mass gathering could be a potential spark to start it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭KK36

It will never go away, it's a virus and it will pop up again some time, although maybe not as ferocious as now. The only hope is that a vaccine will be developed that keeps it away for ever and that everybody gets this vaccine. Neither easy

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Even if this is downgraded come June/July I can't see how big attendances at championship games would be allowed. They'll still be cases around and any mass gathering could be a potential spark to start it again.

Don't underestimate the GAA's ability to generate revenue.

It would be possible to hold games with limited attendances for air on TV. Think of all the huge stadia that could comfortably accommodate social distancing if they really wanted to should the rules be relaxed over the summer.

As an aside, the GAA have form in ignoring bans of mass gatherings!: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paul-rouse/whats-the-real-story-of-gaelic-sunday-473076.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Don't underestimate the GAA's ability to generate revenue.

It would be possible to hold games with limited attendances for air on TV. Think of all the huge stadia that could comfortably accommodate social distancing if they really wanted to should the rules be relaxed over the summer.

As an aside, the GAA have form in ignoring bans of mass gatherings!: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paul-rouse/whats-the-real-story-of-gaelic-sunday-473076.html

100 years ago, they would not be allowed do anything without government directive now.

How much money does the GAA get for broadcasting rights? And how would they allocate already scarce tickets to the Dubs if they had to put a cap on capacity?

Personally, I think when people go back to work and pubs reopen, and public transport is once again bustling, there would be no reason why concerts and sport events would be treated differently. I think there will be something in the summer at this point, even if the situation will get worse before it gets better. Might be July though before a ball is thrown in.

• Advertisement

100 years ago, they would not be allowed do anything without government directive now.

How much money does the GAA get for broadcasting rights? And how would they allocate already scarce tickets to the Dubs if they had to put a cap on capacity?

Personally, I think when people go back to work and pubs reopen, and public transport is once again bustling, there would be no reason why concerts and sport events would be treated differently. I think there will be something in the summer at this point, even if the situation will get worse before it gets better. Might be July though before a ball is thrown in.

As far as I'm aware TV rights are worth in the region of €12-14m per annum.

Realistically if the Championship starts in July there won't be any Dublin football games of any consequence until August. They have circa 3,000 season ticket holders who are entitled tickets to games, and in the early rounds of championship those are the only fans who can get tickets to games in places like Wexford Park which has a capacity of 4,200.

Put those games in Croke Park with a capacity of 6-7k and they'll have no problem with social distancing. Thurles, Killarney, Limerick and Cork also have huge stadia which could also comfortably manage with a reduced capacity.

Dr Tom Devine coming home for work

Never knw he might get decide to play again

Dr Tom Devine coming home for work

Never knw he might get decide to play again

He cant play again on medical advise afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

He was a real loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Hurling's loss is medicine's gain.

May he and all the other healthcare staff stay safe through all this.

Hopefully we'll all be here for a new season agreeing/disagreeing.

What I wouldn't give now to be freezing my bits off at a pitch roaring our lads on. Up the Déise.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Interview in the sunday times with him - fair play for coming back to help out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Interview in the sunday times with him - fair play for coming back to help out

Would love a read of that. Anyone able to throw a link up to the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Gardner

if the GAA had any bit of balls about them they would scrap the intercounty championship this year. every community, town and village in Ireland will be affected by this. By the time this is over let the communities, town and villages come together and support their local team and not the intercounty teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Gardner wrote: »
    if the GAA had any bit of balls about them they would scrap the intercounty championship this year. every community, town and village in Ireland will be affected by this. By the time this is over let the communities, town and villages come together and support their local team and not the intercounty teams.

Let the club championship have a much better go of it, rather than dealing with the usual scrap they normally get. If they started at it in July (circumstances permitting) and have a game every two weeks.

The crowds would be much lower so that obviously help with the current environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Sorry if already posted but there's a new podcast series out with interviews by Brian Carroll, called A Hurler's Life. First episode out now and it's an interview with John Mullane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Would love a read of that. Anyone able to throw a link up to the article.

Read it in the paper edition.

Decent read.

Here's a link to the article with a tantalising introductory snippet of the piece.Unfortunately there's a five euro subscription to the Times monthly.:(

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tom-devine-back-on-the-front-line-tc7zsw9zm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Gardner wrote: »

Who knows what the GAA authorities will do versus what they should do.

If the restrictions are lifted by late May/early June, then would love to see the intercounty championship go ahead (would have to be run on a knockout basis). If the situation worsens and the lockdown goes on, then fair enough, drop the AI series.

think sport will help get people over this crisis no matter what strucutre etc

The atmosphere at every game which is knockout could be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

think sport will help get people over this crisis no matter what strucutre etc

The atmosphere at every game which is knockout could be amazing

There wont be any championship in 2020, knockout or otherwise. Loughnane made a great point in the paper today, to put 30 or 40 thousand people in a stadium is a non starter while this thing is still anyway present. Until there is a vaccine found, we'll be stuck in limbo. Its a shame for Waterford because I think we were set to make real progress this year.

There wont be any championship in 2020, knockout or otherwise. Loughnane made a great point in the paper today, to put 30 or 40 thousand people in a stadium is a non starter while this thing is still anyway present. Until there is a vaccine found, we'll be stuck in limbo. Its a shame for Waterford because I think we were set to make real progress this year.

With Waterfords luck

They play it behind closed doors and we could end up winning it in an empty Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Ian OB

With Waterfords luck

They play it behind closed doors and we could end up winning it in an empty Croke Park

I'll settle for that

Who said anything about 30 or 40 thousand?

With Waterfords luck

The closed door thing might be ok for soccer when there is TV deals and big money on the line, I don't see much point in the GAA playing intercounty matches behind closed doors, just cancel the 2020 season across the board and hopefully try to get going again in 2021, its only foolishness to think otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The closed door thing might be ok for soccer when there is TV deals and big money on the line, I don't see much point in the GAA playing intercounty matches behind closed doors, just cancel the 2020 season across the board and hopefully try to get going again in 2021, its only foolishness to think otherwise

i always held the opposite view , plenty of intensity in behind closed door challenge games , just dont play them in big empty stadiums ,

a good idea but will never happen

• Advertisement

i always held the opposite view , plenty of intensity in behind closed door challenge games , just dont play them in big empty stadiums ,

a good idea but will never happen

Panels can only go back training and playing once the risk of infection amongst the general population is low, that wont be happening anytime soon and to play games behind closed doors when there is still a risk of infection would be crazy imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement