Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Ballygunner-Ballyhale was virtually the All-Ireland final, this has been embarrassing for poor St Thomas’s. Ballygunner not far off winning an All-Ireland when you see this, just so difficult to get out of munster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Great statement made yesterday.
    Now that bluffer McGrath is out its time to drive on for an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Deiseen

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Great statement made yesterday.
    Now that bluffer McGrath is out its time to drive on for an All Ireland.

I would have always defended McGrath, but if we can keep up this form then its going to get harder and harder to defend his approach.

He did get us to an All Ireland though and I don't think any of us can argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ballygunner-Ballyhale was virtually the All-Ireland final, this has been embarrassing for poor St Thomas’s. Ballygunner not far off winning an All-Ireland when you see this, just so difficult to get out of munster

Yeah was annoying watching it but could easily even a different game if Ballygunner were in it

Realistically is there an All Ireland there for Waterford this year??? Munster will be dog eat dog and then Leinster contains some good teams. Hurling is in a great place. First objective is too get out of Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭spideyman92

Watching back the match from yesterday, that dig Shane Bennett got 8 mins into the second half was a right nasty one and there was nothing done about it. Arguably worse than the incident that Cleary got the straight red for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Watching back the match from yesterday, that dig Shane Bennett got 8 mins into the second half was a right nasty one and there was nothing done about it. Arguably worse than the incident that Cleary got the straight red for.

It certainly was. I wonder if they'll talk about it on League Sunday. That way something might be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deiseen wrote: »
    I would have always defended McGrath, but if we can keep up this form then its going to get harder and harder to defend his approach.

He did get us to an All Ireland though and I don't think any of us can argue with that.

Shur he’s even said it in his own analysis that’s it great to see these Waterford players hurling with freedom and that its great to see some younger players get a look in! Says it all really

At least he did the honourable thing and stepped aside when he did as the county board weren’t going to get rid. Another year of that awful system I hate to think where we’d be, the likes of Stephen Bennett’s career would ended up on the scrap-heap

Deiseen wrote: »

Yeah to be honest I shouldn't have said that. I didn't agree with his style or how he treated fringe panel members but I don't doubt he had Waterfords best interest at heart. (Dan aswell).

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Yeah to be honest I shouldn't have said that. I didn't agree with his style or how he treated fringe panel members but I don't doubt he had Waterfords best interest at heart. (Dan aswell).

Wicked nice fella Derek, never his biggest fan but no one would say he didn't have Waterfords best interests at heart and he was probably justified in the approach he had with the system coming in year 1 as we were at a bit of a low ebb. He never developed it any bit further though and it got stale really, other teams sussed it out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hard too believe its 10 years since De La Salle lost the club final too portumna.

Derek McGrath missed out on playing due too a freak training ground injury. Running over to do an interview and whatever way he ran he hurt his leg and missed out

• Advertisement

Ropaire wrote: »
    Wicked nice fella Derek, never his biggest fan but no one would say he didn't have Waterfords best interests at heart and he was probably justified in the approach he had with the system coming in year 1 as we were at a bit of a low ebb. He never developed it any bit further though and it got stale really, other teams sussed it out as well.

True, at the end of the day if Kevin Moran had popped that point over to put us two up against Galway I do genuinely think that all Ireland was ours.

What will be will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Lads it's very early days yet and we've won nothing and didn't top our group in 1B even. Don't forget we won the league under Derek in 2015 so haven't even topped that yet.

Rome wasn't built in a day!!! I agree it's very exciting to see us play proper hurling and it looks like we've a serious panel to pick from. I'm very positive about this year and think we've a lot to look forward to. Just think it's a bit early to be finger pointing back at Derek's time as if to say we've already won the all Ireland now he's gone. We've had very good league campaigns before and done nothing in the summer. Let's just hope we get a good crowd to KK next weekend and the team keep improving.

The attendance for our home games has been pathetic thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Just a question?, What was said between Clare Manager [Lad with Glasses ] and Pauric Fanning yesterday when game was over, Looked fairly heated, but i could be reading it wrong, it looked to me as if Clare lad said something nasty and was told to F*&k off , anyone see this, was there issues during the game ?. must admit i was sitting behind the Clare Management in Dungarvan in Jan for last game, and i thought both were utter pricks, so it would not surprise me, the pressure they unfairly applied to the linesmen and ref the same day was just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

That was a fierce dirty stroke by Pat o Connor on Shane Bennett. Hope they highlight tonight on league Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Lads it's very early days yet and we've won nothing and didn't top our group in 1B even. Don't forget we won the league under Derek in 2015 so haven't even topped that yet.

Rome wasn't built in a day!!! I agree it's very exciting to see us play proper hurling and it looks like we've a serious panel to pick from. I'm very positive about this year and think we've a lot to look forward to. Just think it's a bit early to be finger pointing back at Derek's time as if to say we've already won the all Ireland now he's gone. We've had very good league campaigns before and done nothing in the summer. Let's just hope we get a good crowd to KK next weekend and the team keep improving.

under Mc Grath we were relegated twice.won the league .that was it .wasted 5 years on top of what we endured under Davy Fitz .ten years wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

True, at the end of the day if Kevin Moran had popped that point over to put us two up against Galway I do genuinely think that all Ireland was ours.

What will be will be.
    Big If !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Came here to say the very same. It was obviously a great result and team performance on Saturday but I wouldn't be getting carried away and/or using it to point to the previous management as being somehow wrong or irrelevant. I was no fan of the way we played under DMcG but it's worth noting that there were many games where we racked up big scores and blew teams away as well. One of our biggest downfalls under Derek was the amount of wides we used to rack up in a game, often well into double digits. How often have comments been made here of "if only we converted even a handful of those wides we would have won...".

On Saturday it seemed like everything we touched turned to gold but it won't be like that every game. Obviously I'm delighted how we're playing and it's great to see we're getting much more out of lads we knew had big potential but let's wait until at least the end of the championship to see how we shape up. Up until Saturday we were sailing by nicely under the radar with nobody giving us much hope come championship but many are now sitting up and taking notice. Let's see if the lads can keep up that intensity and level of performance next week and beyond.

Bit of a dose getting Galway again, the one team we would have liked to avoid as they'll no doubt be out for revenge from last weekend. Would've been nice to get Dublin as we'd owe them one from earlier and a crack against the AI champions would've been an intriguing insight into where exactly we stand. Galway will be another big test though so bring it on. Without sounding negative, I don't think too many would have expected us to get this far in the league so there is an element of being in "bonus territory" as they say - in that I wouldn't be too disappointed if we bow out as long as the lads put in another good shift and a few continue to show they won't be easily dislodged from the starting 15. But the league is there to be won and there's no reason not to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Was at club finals today and got talking to a couple of Galway lads. They said Galway hate Walsh Park as they can't pick up the ball on the pitch as its so wet. Have to admit that its a fair point (the state of the pitch) and I wonder if any money has been earmarked for a new pitch when the ground is worked on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

chinguetti wrote: »
    Was at club finals today and got talking to a couple of Galway lads. They said Galway hate Walsh Park as they can't pick up the ball on the pitch as its so wet. Have to admit that its a fair point (the state of the pitch) and I wonder if any money has been earmarked for a new pitch when the ground is worked on?

it'll be fine in 8 weeks but changing the puitch wont help it as it has mature roots, once they cut it and keep sanmding and rolling itll be ok, should also invest in some of those cricket tunnels to keep the rain off the small parralelogram other than that will firm up nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

it'll be fine in 8 weeks but changing the puitch wont help it as it has mature roots, once they cut it and keep sanmding and rolling itll be ok, should also invest in some of those cricket tunnels to keep the rain off the small parralelogram other than that will firm up nicely

Total b0llocks talk by dose Galway lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 siobhan1983

Anyone know where you can watch League Sunday on catchup? I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Just a question?, What was said between Clare Manager [Lad with Glasses ] and Pauric Fanning yesterday when game was over, Looked fairly heated, but i could be reading it wrong, it looked to me as if Clare lad said something nasty and was told to F*&k off

Think he shouted over to Pauric "The North Quays will never be built".

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Think he shouted over to Pauric "The North Quays will never be built".

Haha

I noticed it also. Definitely something bitter said, adds a bit of fuel to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Haha

I noticed it also. Definitely something bitter said, adds a bit of fuel to the fire.

I was tryin to ‘lip read’ this last night and can’t see whatever was said was that bitter....facial expressions just didnt translate into what you would expect from a bitter comment so it was probably about the north quays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Was O'Connor highlighted on League Sunday for his dirty stroke?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Haha

I didn't see it that way at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

chinguetti wrote: »

This one should be filed alongside 'the wide open spaces of Thurles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deise_2012 wrote: »

He’s got form that lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Deise_2012 wrote: »

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

No
    Not being sour but imagine if Gleeson had done it, it certainly would have been shown on tv last night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement