Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭spideyman92

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great performance and great win

Galway again next weekend

Thurles would be the sensible option but its hosting tipp vs Clare in the football next Sunday 24th at 2pm so rules out a double header there with the other semi final. Sat 23rd maybe

Last years semi's were a home/away situation. Is it a sure thing that it'll be a neutral venue? Could be in Pearse Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Last years semi's were a home/away situation. Is it a sure thing that it'll be a neutral venue? Could be in Pearse Stadium?

Almost sure I saw semis will be neutral venues

It was usually a double header and then some years its home and away. Double header in Thurles makes sense or even Nowlan Park like in 2015

They really should have it sorted so people can plan ahead. Prob wont be confirmed til Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Exceptional stuff. Absolutely amazing second half performance. Hard to fault any of the players, Stephen Bennett exceptional, gleesons best game since AI semi final of 2017, paudie Mahony excellent, Barron and Moran great. Really solid supporting performances from Callum Lyons, jack prendergast, Mikey Kearney and Peter Hogan. Some buzz leaving the ground today.

When was the last time we raised a white flag more than 30 times against a top 8 team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

KevIRL wrote: »
    Exceptional stuff. Absolutely amazing second half performance. Hard to fault any of the players, Stephen Bennett exceptional, gleesons best game since AI semi final of 2017, paudie Mahony excellent, Barron and Moran great. Really solid supporting performances from Callum Lyons, jack prendergast, Mikey Kearney and Peter Hogan. Some buzz leaving the ground today.

When was the last time we raised a white flag more than 30 times against a top 8 team?

was at a match a few years ago and they had stats on the programme on the amount of times there were 30 white flags in championship in general i think it was around 11, the last few years has probably doubled that,

i would venture to guess in division 1 league its in single digits, not to mention 20 points in a half, i know we had the wind but my god that is savage ,the bookies show us you shcore 25 in a game you generally win regardless what the other team does,

2020 divisions confirmed

Grp A
    Limerick
    Tipp
    Cork
    Galway
    Waterford
    Westmeath

Grp B
    Wexford
    Clare
    Kilkenny
    Dublin
    Laois
    Carlow

• Advertisement

3 teams from 1B in the semi finals is mental. Though I don't understand the Waterford v Galway fixture at all. Usually ties with teams that played most recently are avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

There won't be a kilkenny shirt to be seen in Waterford tomorrow. We'll miss 'em.

Only real negative today was the attendance. 2700 very poor for a league quarter final at home. Wait for the wailing and moaning about tickets come May

3 teams from 1B in the semi finals is mental. Though I don't understand the Waterford v Galway fixture at all. Usually ties with teams that played most recently are avoided.

With 3 1B teams in the last four a repeat fixture from the group stage couldn't be avoided.

With 3 1B teams in the last four a repeat fixture from the group stage couldn't be avoided.

Yea but usually fixtures seem to be based around avoiding ties with teams who played latest. Dublin and Galway played in Round 3 whereas we played them in Rounds 4 & 5.

• Advertisement

Yea but usually fixtures seem to be based around avoiding ties with teams who played latest. Dublin and Galway played in Round 3 whereas we played them in Rounds 4 & 5.

Don't recall that ever being a factor tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Only real negative today was the attendance. 2700 very poor for a league quarter final at home. Wait for the wailing and moaning about tickets come May

For 3pm on a Saturday I didn’t think it was terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

For 3pm on a Saturday I didn’t think it was terrible

Come championship time, 10,000 will whinge and say they never missed a game when looking for a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

My worries were unfounded regarding injuries thank God..
    Stephen a well deserved man if the match, although, could've picked a few man of the mayches.
    Shane, Jamie, peter, pauric, Kevin jack, callum, Aussie the list goes on. They all had great games.
    Some beautiful hurling from Aussie there today, but listening to the two behind me, they didn't rate him at all ha ha..
    A grand day out was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

thats me laughing holding the nephew in the middle, be a long time till i forget that one

That's a great photo from a great day. I've a lot of family from Kilkenny so for me that day was something special. Not just that we won, but the manner in which we did it. Get that photo framed boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

puzl wrote: »
    That's a great photo from a great day. I've a lot of family from Kilkenny so for me that day was something special. Not just that we won, but the manner in which we did it. Get that photo framed boy

will get around to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIP56tkqzEo at the 5:33 mark you can see my sister with her head in her hands as the equaliser comes as time runs out my other nephew and dad are in the same shot

jtqvXdK.png

truth be told, i was born in dublin grew up in ashbourne till i was 2 , oranmore ,galway till i was nearly 8 and then had ten years in tramore moved back to waterford city from doing barwork in belgium at 20 and left again at 25 due to the recession and been in dublin last 8 years, but waterford city will always be home

a day like today makes me feel not so far away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Only real negative today was the attendance. 2700 very poor for a league quarter final at home. Wait for the wailing and moaning about tickets come August

Fixed that for you.

A man can hope, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Don't recall that ever being a factor tbh.

He's thinking of a different sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Hearing it will be next Saturday but not confirmed yet.
    Fabulous performance today. Moran Connors Barron Prendergast were tremendous throughout but a special word for Callum Lyons who was solid all throughout. We are growing week on week and we look to be gaining momentum at the right time. Our work rate from our forwards all the way back to socky is admirable but all the time we are still keeping our attacking players in attacking positions so it’s no coincidence that the Bennetts are showing us what we know they were capable of before this year. They are a joy to watch in full flow, something we craved for the past 5 yrs.
    Tadgh, the 2 Fives brothers, Conor Gleeson, Paddy Curran, Conor Prunty, Tommy Ryan all to come in somewhere on top of what we saw today aswell so I for one can’t wait to see us in full flow come championship time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

cul beag wrote: »
    Fabulous performance today. Moran Connors Barron Prendergast were tremendous throughout but a special word for Callum Lyons who was solid all throughout. We are growing week on week and we look to be gaining momentum at the right time. Our work rate from our forwards all the way back to socky is admirable but all the time we are still keeping our attacking players in attacking positions so it’s no coincidence that the Bennetts are showing us what we know they were capable of before this year. They are a joy to watch in full flow, something we craved for the past 5 yrs.
    Tadgh, the 2 Fives brothers, Conor Gleeson, Paddy Curran, Conor Prunty, Tommy Ryan all to come in somewhere on top of what we saw today aswell so I for one can’t wait to see us in full flow come championship time.

What about o’halloran......? The other Bennett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Bluezar

Well that was a really exciting performance today. Some of the hurling we played was top class and it is great to see how good our lads are when the shackles are off.
    There was obviously a number of outstanding performances but Stephen Bennett was phenomenal. 16 shots at goal and 16 points! His composure and accuracy from frees was excellent and it is a huge addition having competition for Padraic on the frees before the championship. Also great to see Austin Gleeson reminding us all what he can do - 5 excellent scores.

As mentioned above, I thought the crowd was really disappointing. Hopefully our fans get out and support the lads next weekend in the Semi final as they really deserve it.

cul beag wrote: »

They should of wrote up the fixtures with all possibly QF outcomes and released them straight away when the semis were known but ye knw the CCCC or whatever they are

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Road-Hog wrote: »
    What about o’halloran......? The other Bennett

Apologies I forgot these 2 fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Jesus that’s a super win lads. Haven’t seen it myself but a fair statement of intent to Clare about what waits them in the first round of championship. As other posters have said the quality of players that weren’t playing or unavailable for us yesterday will be frightening for other counties. Galway next weekend, it’s possibly in Pearse Stadium from what I hear it will be another big challenge but one we shouldn’t fear.

Thoughts on Pairc Fanning so far? Have to say as someone who wasn’t sure about him being given the job I’ve been quietly impressed. A bit like Ole Gunner coming in after Mourinho, there was an appetite for change and he’s come in and released the shackles and players are playing with freedom and reaping the rewards. Can’t ask anymore from him at this point. Like his interview style aswell, no bull****, fancy words or hogging the limelight. Just direct and to the point. Refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Bluezar wrote: »
    Well that was a really exciting performance today. Some of the hurling we played was top class and it is great to see how good our lads are when the shackles are off.
    There was obviously a number of outstanding performances but Stephen Bennett was phenomenal. 16 shots at goal and 16 points! His composure and accuracy from frees was excellent and it is a huge addition having competition for Padraic on the frees before the championship. Also great to see Austin Gleeson reminding us all what he can do - 5 excellent scores.

As mentioned above, I thought the crowd was really disappointing. Hopefully our fans get out and support the lads next weekend in the Semi final as they really deserve it.

very impressed with waterford today , the formation is alot more fluent under management and to be fair walsh park will suite ye come championship , ye controlled the middle 3rd all day and muscled our lads like kelly , podge and galvin out of the game

our running game was exposed vary early in the game too which worked well against kilkenny and limerick , i taught jamie barron was man of the match he was excellent all day pauric mahoney and aussie gleason superb also if i hadnt lost so much money at cheltenham over the week i would put a few quid on ye wining the league out :pac:

there was probably a hint of shadow boxing but any team that scores 20 points in 35 minutes deserves huge credit , galway are probably the one team ye didnt want after just playing them , if ye win that one it will be a real statement for the summer ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Also the ref not allowing the puc outs flow smoothly. Very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Great win yesterday!!! Bennett really had his eye in and was great from general play too, linking well with others. Really positive to see Paudie and Aussie make big contributions and Shane Bennett must be the hardest working hurler in Ireland. I hope Aussie will now be a forward for the year and let's leave it at that so he can settle and get used to the role.

Some interesting surprises by Fanning with the positional switches, in particular with the defence.

The only worry I have now is that we have no settled full back but at least have options which is good!

Clare very poor in the second half too in fairness. They had a great chance for a second goal just before half time which went wide.

Jesus that’s a super win lads. Haven’t seen it myself but a fair statement of intent to Clare about what waits them in the first round of championship. As other posters have said the quality of players that weren’t playing or unavailable for us yesterday will be frightening for other counties. Galway next weekend, it’s possibly in Pearse Stadium from what I hear it will be another big challenge but one we shouldn’t fear.

Thoughts on Pairc Fanning so far? Have to say as someone who wasn’t sure about him being given the job I’ve been quietly impressed. A bit like Ole Gunner coming in after Mourinho, there was an appetite for change and he’s come in and released the shackles and players are playing with freedom and reaping the rewards. Can’t ask anymore from him at this point. Like his interview style aswell, no bull****, fancy words or hogging the limelight. Just direct and to the point. Refreshing

Can only be impressed with him. Has tried a lot of players and in the main given young lads a lot of gametime. The team are playing freely and with some real style. Going by player comments the atmosphere in the squad is excellent

Sun 24th mar
    Allianz HL Division 1 semi-finals
    Dublin v Limerick, Nowlan Park, 1.30pm
    Galway v Waterford, Nowlan Park, 3.30pm

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sun 24th mar
    Allianz HL Division 1 semi-finals
    Dublin v Limerick, Nowlan Park, 1.30pm
    Galway v Waterford, Nowlan Park, 3.30pm