Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Interesting choice at full back anyway! Few changes, good to see more lads getting a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Do I think the Brick could hold Jamie Barron? No. I don’t recall suggesting that at any stage either??? I suggested he could possibly partner Barron and play a holding role around the middle, allowing Barron to foray forward as he does so well. Having Brick midfield could allow him to compete for puckouts and rucks with both the half forward and half back line, which Brick is so successful at.
    Alternatively if Gleeson was to play wing forward Kearney could play midfield but I think he and Barron are both very similar players. Conor Gleeson if not required in the full back line could also feature in midfield, as could Darragh Fives if indeed he is nearing full fitness.
    well what I was getting at was .if he can't handle the likes of Barron .he's going to struggle .every player has their day.I think someone mentioned that in the all Ireland Final vs Galway that he did not have one possession in the second half of the game and that tells it's tale ,many like to think he's the same Brick that lined up alongside Molumphy back in the day .when they were a match if not bettered some of the finest midfield pairings from Cork, Tipp and KK at the time .I think you're alluding to the fact that kearney and brick are similar when in fact they could not be more different esp when it comes to the all important scoring from player .chalk and cheese there I'm afraid .all the above you mention. both gleesons , Kearney Barron, are all streets ahead of the brick at this stage of his career. Jury is out on D.Fives as we haven't seen him have a run at all over the last few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I think you're alluding to the fact that kearney and brick are similar when in fact they could not be more different esp when it comes to the all important scoring from player .

Have another read of my post, because that is most certainly not what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

IanVW wrote: »
    1 s o keefe
    2 mcnulty
    3 philip mahony
    4 noel connors
    5 callum lyons
    6 kevin moran
    7 austin gleeson
    8 jamie barron
    9 colm roche
    10 jack prenderghast
    11 mikey kearney
    12 pauric mahony
    13 thomas ryan
    14 s bennett
    15 s bennett

Good to see few more players tried and trying out another full back option. Interesting to see how that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

if its too be cancelled hopefully they will know early and not like 2 weeks ago near throw in time

****ing weather

• Advertisement

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Have another read of my post, because that is most certainly not what I said.
    Ah yeh .you had so many scenarios .I was finding it hard to understand it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

well what I was getting at was .if he can't handle the likes of Barron .he's going to struggle .every player has their day.I think someone mentioned that in the all Ireland Final vs Galway that he did not have one possession in the second half of the game and that tells it's tale ,many like to think he's the same Brick that lined up alongside Molumphy back in the day .when they were a match if not bettered some of the finest midfield pairings from Cork, Tipp and KK at the time .I think you're alluding to the fact that kearney and brick are similar when in fact they could not be more different esp when it comes to the all important scoring from player .chalk and cheese there I'm afraid .all the above you mention. both gleesons , Kearney Barron, are all streets ahead of the brick at this stage of his career. Jury is out on D.Fives as we haven't seen him have a run at all over the last few years .

You’ve been writing off brick on here with years.

Prior to 2017 your words were; ‘every dog has it’s day’ what happened in 2017? brick won an all star

Interesting to see you alluding back to 2017 still trying to argue he wasn’t good enough

Your judgement is so wide of the mark at this stage it’s good news when you’re writing a player off it means he’s allstar material!

Give it up boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Philip Mahony at full back is interesting and not something I’d considered. It’s well worth a try and could be a master stroke if it works as it’s the only way to get Aussie in that half back line once TDB is back fit. Philip could be safe as houses back there. I still think Prunty is the man for full back and we should play Philip where he’s more comfortable but fair play to the new manager for trying this as with the injuries we have, we need plans b and c and d.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

It'll be a baptism of fire for Philip anyway. Clare really loving a good run at the full back line. Win or lose I'll be happy if experimentation produces good results. We could be seeing a bit of shadow boxing too. Clare first in the championship at home is really a must win game, we don't want to be playing catch-up when we go to Thurles.

So will the match be on ?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

PTH2009 wrote:
    So will the match be on ?

Yeah it's on. Passed inspection. We didn't get that much rain overnight

Yeah it's on. Passed inspection. We didn't get that much rain overnight

Good

Pissing it down now and high wins. Not a day for free takers

Could be a game of two halves again. I wonder are we going to see Aussie and Tony Kelly squaring up again? They seem to have it in for each other every time they meet. My favourite though was down in Ennis last year when Kelly was pushing Tommy Ryan around and Kevin Moran ran 40 yards to level Tony Kelly with a shoulder who went down in classic 'I've just been shot' pose. Unfortunately Moran saw red that day so it was a bad move as third man in and captain. Shanagher will be a right handful for Mahony at full back.

Clare (HL1 QF V Waterford): Donal Tuohy; Seadna Morey, David McInerney, Jack Browne; Patrick O’Connor, Conor Cleary, Cathal Malone; Shane Golden, Colm Gavin; Peter Duggan, Tony Kelly, Aidan McCarthy; Gary Cooney, Aron Shanagher, Podge Collins

Cusack Park in Ennis is waterlogged and the football is cancelled. Thanks be to jasus we got the home game for the hurling.

Prior to 2017 your words were; ‘every dog has it’s day’ what happened in 2017? brick won an all star

Interesting to see you alluding back to 2017 still trying to argue he wasn’t good enough

Your judgement is so wide of the mark at this stage it’s good news when you’re writing a player off it means he’s allstar material!

Give it up boy
    Tell me again what we won in 2017 .

Give it up boy
    you'd probably still be picking Tony Browne

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Footballers beat London 2-9 to 0-7

KevIRL wrote: »
    Footballers beat London 2-9 to 0-7

Great win 3 in a row too

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hogan in for tommy Ryan

Galway win and will play the winners of us vs Clare

Decent crowd up here pitch looks ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Great performance, Stephen Bennett has well and truly been let off the leash. That should be Conor Cleary gone for the first game in Munster. And I hope Patrick O’Connor gets suspended for his low blow on Shane Bennett. Galvin looked to have a bad injury coming off as well. Onwards and upwards !!

Tell me again what we won in 2017 .

Beat Kilkenny for the first time in 50 something years. If you don't care about that then you don't care about Waterford hurling.

Won a knockout game in croke park. Not a common occurance.

And to stay on topic, brick won an all-star. Which was the point being made originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Galway win and will play the winners of us vs Clare

Decent crowd up here pitch looks ok

is there no clause to aovid repeat fixtures ? seems to make more sense to play a 1a side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Deiseen

puzl wrote: »
    Beat Kilkenny for the first time in 50 something years. If you don't care about that then you don't care about Waterford hurling.

And to stay on topic, brick won an all-star. Which was the point being made originally.

Of course it's entirely Brick's fault that we didn't win anything that year. Entirely!

Don't ya just love moral victories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Great performance, Stephen Bennett has well and truly been let off the leash. That should be Conor Cleary gone for the first game in Munster. And I hope Patrick O’Connor gets suspended for his low blow on Shane Bennett. Galvin looked to have a bad injury coming off as well. Onwards and upwards !!

Congrats from a most disappointed Clare fan today. When this Waterford team throw off the shackles and play this brilliant attacking hurling they are a joy to watch. Fair dues to the Deise men. Serious contenders for Liam McCarthy glory come August. I would disagree with you on one thing though. Cleary red card will be overturned. Exceptionally harsh in my opinion. Totally accidental. Didn't see the incident that led to the Duggan red card though.

Great performance and great win

Galway again next weekend

Thurles would be the sensible option but its hosting tipp vs Clare in the football next Sunday 24th at 2pm so rules out a double header there with the other semi final. Sat 23rd maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

LlzX6lf.jpg

thats me laughing holding the nephew in the middle, be a long time till i forget that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Congrats from a most disappointed Clare fan today. When this Waterford team throw off the shackles and play this brilliant attacking hurling they are a joy to watch. Fair dues to the Deise men. Serious contenders for Liam McCarthy glory come August. I would disagree with you on one thing though. Cleary red card will be overturned. Exceptionally harsh in my opinion. Totally accidental. Didn't see the incident that led to the Duggan red card though.

Thought both were soft enough but at least we were well ahead at that stage.

I think there was a bit of intent with the cleary one but there wasn't any force in it so will be hard to see how they deal with it.

• Advertisement

Don't ya just love moral victories

One sure way to prevent the successes of the future is to spit on the successes of today. Thankfully you're in a tiny minority.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement