Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What age is he now? He was unreal as impact sub in 2017 and ‘finishers’ are part of the modern game. I’d keep him for the last 25 minutes but wouldn’t ever be upset to see him start as we could definitely do with help in the half forward line.

Maurice is 29 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Did you mean to post that in the Wales vs Ireland thread lol

At least they've a roof in Cardiff. Not sure if that's in the Walsh Park plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

What age is he now? He was unreal as impact sub in 2017 and ‘finishers’ are part of the modern game. I’d keep him for the last 25 minutes but wouldn’t ever be upset to see him start as we could definitely do with help in the half forward line.

I would see Maurice more in this role also. I’m not sure if he’s perfectly suited to the way our half forward line is playing at present, working very hard between the 2 45’s, dropping deep and using the ball well to supply the full forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I would see Maurice more in this role also. I’m not sure if he’s perfectly suited to the way our half forward line is playing at present, working very hard between the 2 45’s, dropping deep and using the ball well to supply the full forward line.

Would see him coming into the full forward line altogether whenever one of the Bennetts has run themselves into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Three things in particular impressed me about Waterford’s heart-warming victory over Galway last Sunday.

The first was the commitment and fighting spirit shown by the team, and the way they set about reeling in the big Galway half-time lead in the second half. They kept plugging away and finally got their reward with the last-gasp Shane Bennett goal. While Galway played a lot of very good hurling, I still thought that Waterford deserved to win, and would have done so more comfortably if they had made better use of several good scoring opportunities which went abegging. Clearly there is no problem with morale in the camp.

The second positive thing was the style of play which Waterford displayed throughout. The most important thing here was the heads-up hurling, with the player in possession always looking to play the ball constructively. This made a welcome contrast to the long blind balls out of defence to non-existent forwards which was regular fare with the previous regime. Last Sunday Waterford made excellent use of stick passes to work the ball out of defence, followed by good balls up to the forwards.

Waterford laid the foundation for their eventual victory in the first fifteen minutes, when the weather conditions were quite good and when they played some excellent hurling, including some super balls into the full forward line. Then when the weather turned nasty, and Galway pushed up on the Waterford puckout, the Déise defence came under a lot of pressure. The uphill incline facing Waterford at the start of the second half would have been much steeper were it not for the seven points banked in that first 15-minute period.

We saw glimpses of the new style of play in the earlier rounds of the league, against weak opposition, and it was worrying to see the lack of any game plan in the Dublin match. In an interview on RTE Radio last Sunday week, Páraic Fanning said they had a particular game plan in mind but that it was hard to work on it due to the disruption caused by the large injury list since the start of the league. Last Sunday was the first time we saw this game plan in full operation, and the results were both attractive to watch and effective.

Hopefully the move which led up to the winning goal is a sign of how we will play for the rest of the year. Colm Roche dug out a dirty ball on the left side of the defence and laid it off to Stephen Roche. Rather than belting it up the field, Roche held the ball up under pressure before playing it across field to the unmarked Austin Gleeson. Gleeson in turn found Peter Hogan with a superb low ball which must have travelled 80 yards straight into Hogan’s paw. This was reminiscent of the great through ball which Gleeson fed to Jamie Barron in the lead-up to the winning goal against Kilkenny in 2017.

Given that this was the 80th minute of Hogan’s first game for Waterford in over a year, he deserves great credit for his excellent first touch and turn which left his marker for dead, then his burst of pace and the vision to give the pass to Shane Bennett. The fact that the pass was a bit ahead of Bennett actually worked to Waterford’s advantage, as in trying to bring it under control he knocked it past the outrushing Galway goalie. It still took great athleticism and skill on Bennett’s part to get the ball over the line from such a narrow angle – especially as he actually struck the ball with the toe of his hurley bas (a fact that was highlighted by the eagle-eyed Donal Óg Cusack on RTE that night).

The third thing that impressed me about the game was the fact that all of the second-half substitutes made a significant contribution following their introduction, each making several good plays in the fourth quarter. It was good in particular to see relative newcomers Jordan Henley, Jack Prendergast and Colm Roche getting stuck in right away with good first touch and poise in possession under fierce pressure. These, of course, were excellent under-age players, and it shows how important it is to have players coming into the senior ranks with good under-age experience under their belts.

A couple of final thoughts. I don’t think I have ever seen Kevin Moran playing so well so early in the year. Is there a danger that he is peaking too soon!? And given the telepathic understanding between Stephen and Shane Bennett, would it be an idea to play Kieran with them in the full forward line? He did play a couple of games there in his first year at Under 21 in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Gleeson in turn found Peter Hogan with a superb low ball which must have travelled 80 yards straight into Hogan’s paw. This was reminiscent of the great through ball which Gleeson fed to Jamie Barron in the lead-up to the winning goal against Kilkenny in 2017.

He's a man of many talents, but his ability to pick out a player with a long pass is really something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 briangu

Another positive impact against Galway from Jack, won a lot of dirty balls. He has been a big plus from this league campaign. Has probably jumped ahead of a few forwards.
    The 2 Bennett’s and Tommy Ryan look pretty nailed on for the inside line at present. Half forward line will have Mahony certainly but after that is open enough. Gleeson could find himself there but it hasn’t been tried yet so can’t say with any certainty. If he does fall in there then it’s probably 1 from Kearney, Prendergast, Dunford, Maurice, Curran, Roche and O’Halloran.. I think putting Maurice and Aussie in there would require a big change in style from how our half forward line is playing at present. Kearney or Prendergast probably in pole position at the moment for that spot.

You dont see a starting place for Brick in the half forwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Interesting question raised by "Giveitfong" about playing a third Bennett in the full forward line. My preference despite Tommy Ryan's really impressive form and strong claim to date would be to play Patrick Curran in along side them. I just think that Curran has shown over the years to be on completely on the same wavelength as the two Bennetts and is a natural scorer. Curran suffered under the last management regime but there is no doubting his talent for me and his goals against Laois before being injured showed me that he was returning to form. These three lads have always wreaked havoc when played together. Tommy Ryan with his pace and directness could be very effective from wing forward. I know lads talk about ball winners, but there are differenet ways to win the ball!!

That forward line is also the reason i would play Aussie Centreback, because his delivery, distribution and his understanding of these lads movement is second to none, he is more than capable of supplying the ammunition into them. .

briangu wrote: »

I had Brick partnering Barron in my fictional team. Moran is playing unreal wing back, Tadhg will probably be centre back so the last slot there will be fiercely competitive also. Brick playing a holding role in midfield would allow the half backs to push forward at times possibly.

blueflame wrote: »
    Interesting question raised by "Giveitfong" about playing a third Bennett in the full forward line. My preference despite Tommy Ryan's really impressive form and strong claim to date would be to play Patrick Curran in along side them. I just think that Curran has shown over the years to be on completely on the same wavelength as the two Bennetts and is a natural scorer. Curran suffered under the last management regime but there is no doubting his talent for me and his goals against Laois before being injured showed me that he was returning to form. These three lads have always wreaked havoc when played together. Tommy Ryan with his pace and directness could be very effective from wing forward. I know lads talk about ball winners, but there are differenet ways to win the ball!!

That forward line is also the reason i would play Aussie Centreback, because his delivery, distribution and his understanding of these lads movement is second to none, he is more than capable of supplying the ammunition into them. .

I think Curran has been unlucky with injuries so far this year, and unlucky in that Tommy Ryan has more than grasped his opportunity. I think Tommy would have to start in the full forward line with the 2 Bennett’s.
    Playing Kieran Bennett in the full forward line... wow! That’s a suggestion I never ever expected! Unless he was to wear the number 15 in a role similar to that which Darragh Fives occupied in past years then that will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

It's brilliant to have so many options throughout the squad, competition for places is only a good thing. Also, as we know from last years championship injuries and suspensions will be a factor. I daresay we won't have a full available squad at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

My biggest fear this weekend is injury. We lost 5 of our best players last year in one game, which totally scuppered our championship.
    Can't wrap them in cotton wool I know, but with them all playing so well, and only weeks to the championship, it would be terrible especially as they're our first opponents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Are you PTH in disguise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Are you PTH in disguise

deise08, father of PTH2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

briangu wrote: »
    Another positive impact against Galway from Jack, won a lot of dirty balls. He has been a big plus from this league campaign. Has probably jumped ahead of a few forwards.
    The 2 Bennett’s and Tommy Ryan look pretty nailed on for the inside line at present. Half forward line will have Mahony certainly but after that is open enough. Gleeson could find himself there but it hasn’t been tried yet so can’t say with any certainty. If he does fall in there then it’s probably 1 from Kearney, Prendergast, Dunford, Maurice, Curran, Roche and O’Halloran.. I think putting Maurice and Aussie in there would require a big change in style from how our half forward line is playing at present. Kearney or Prendergast probably in pole position at the moment for that spot.

Nah ,wouldn't see brick start anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

blueflame wrote: »

Couldn’t agree more about Curran. If we can get himself and Stephen Bennett in a full forward line complimenting each other like they did when wreaking havoc at minor and u21, that would be a serious line. But Curran has to get up to scratch himself, normally plays better when leading the attack and taking the frees. He’ll have to find away to get himself into the game as that won’t always be the case at senior level

He’s 22/23 now and the previous system is banished, so it’s time for him to step up to the mark himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Couldn’t agree more about Curran. If we can get himself and Stephen Bennett in a full forward line complimenting each other like they did when wreaking havoc at minor and u21, that would be a serious line. But Curran has to get up to scratch himself, normally plays better when leading the attack and taking the frees. He’ll have to find away to get himself into the game as that won’t always be the case at senior level

He’s 22/23 now and the previous system is banished, so it’s time for him to step up to the mark himself.

The issue with Curran having to work himself in to games means that he mightn't work as an impact sub in comparison to Tommy Ryan who when a game opens up and is loose, his pace can cause havoc against tired corner-backs.

However, I think Ryan deserves to start, he is in his late 20's now and has been on the periphery of the starting team and panel for almost 10 years but when called upon, he has always given his all and made some impact. He has steadily improved, particularly in the last 2 years and I'd say corner-backs see him as a nightmare to mark. Although Curran is a superbly talented hurler who can score at ease, he perhaps lacks that killer pace and upper body strength but as said, he is till only 22/23.

Great to have these dilemmas as there are plenty of more options for the full-forward line that I haven't mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭carter10

The issue with Curran having to work himself in to games means that he mightn't work as an impact sub in comparison to Tommy Ryan who when a game opens up and is loose, his pace can cause havoc against tired corner-backs.

However, I think Ryan deserves to start, he is in his late 20's now and has been on the periphery of the starting team and panel for almost 10 years but when called upon, he has always given his all and made some impact. He has steadily improved, particularly in the last 2 years and I'd say corner-backs see him as a nightmare to mark. Although Curran is a superbly talented hurler who can score at ease, he perhaps lacks that killer pace and upper body strength but as said, he is till only 22/23.

Great to have these dilemmas as there are plenty of more options for the full-forward line that I haven't mentioned.

Agreed, we are well served in the inside line and having re watched last Sundays game we have a number of new backs putting up their hand as well. Our problem area in the half forward line, we are lacking there. Mahony is the only one i'd have down as automatic choice. After that we seem to have a lot of similar players none of whom are really stand out. Physically we are light in this area as well. However as more teams are now playing the short passing game this may not be as big an issue as it once was, we might just need to be smarter with our puck outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

hardybuck wrote: »

Would see him coming into the full forward line altogether whenever one of the Bennetts has run themselves into the ground.
    would you think the brick would be able to hold Jaime Barron. Realistically he wouldn't get close .he is far from the brick of old .legend yes .but just another year to much. I think his role now is experience in the dressing room but playing days are just about over .cannot realistically see him start in the championship

would you think the brick would be able to hold Jaime Barron. Realistically he wouldn't get close .he is far from the brick of old .legend yes .but just another year to much. I think his role now is experience in the dressing room but playing days are just about over .cannot realistically see him start in the championship

Do I think the Brick could hold Jamie Barron? No. I don’t recall suggesting that at any stage either??? I suggested he could possibly partner Barron and play a holding role around the middle, allowing Barron to foray forward as he does so well. Having Brick midfield could allow him to compete for puckouts and rucks with both the half forward and half back line, which Brick is so successful at.
    Alternatively if Gleeson was to play wing forward Kearney could play midfield but I think he and Barron are both very similar players. Conor Gleeson if not required in the full back line could also feature in midfield, as could Darragh Fives if indeed he is nearing full fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Tommy Ryan is 31 this year I'm fairly certain

Tommy Ryan is 31 this year I'm fairly certain

He'll be 30 in Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

He was also our top scorer from play last year.

And hasn't exactly gone of the boil this year. I'd say a start for him is as close to assured as any forward can be on this very very deep panel.

Game will be played Sunday or BH Monday if postponed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

KevIRL wrote: »
    Game will be played Sunday or BH Monday if postponed tomorrow

Whats the talk of postponement ?......is it a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

bemmet wrote: »
    Whats the talk of postponement ?......is it a possibility?

Heavy rain countrywide from tonight until early afternoon tomorrow, with spot flooding likely. Same conditions that led to the pitch being waterlogged on the day the Galway match was originally scheduled for.

Sunny spells and scattered showers on Sunday, scattered light rain on Monday, so less likelihood of waterlogging then.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Counties Waterford, Kilkenny and Wexford are all excluded from the 16 counties for which the Met Office issued a status yellow weather warning today. However, the Met Office forecast for Waterford City tomorrow is for continuous rain from 4 am up to 3 pm, with spells of heavy rain. It is due to clear up after 3 pm! Sunday and Monday are expected to be dry in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anxious wait then

Sok
    McNulty
    Phil Mahony
    Connors
    C Lyons
    Moran
    Gleeson
    C Roche
    Barron