Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car blocking the Luas and giving the owner time to move it!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Patww79 wrote: »

I mean there's no where to check if they're telling the truth.

I could have said it was the acting Garda Commissioner. Doesn't mean it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Wheety wrote: »
    Twitter rumours.

I don't think there's anywhere you can look up the owner of the car so otherwise it's just hearsay.

Plenty of people have access to that info .

yabadabado wrote: »
    Plenty of people have access to that info .

Fine. You believe it's a judge because the Internet told you.

• Advertisement

Fine. You believe it's a judge because the Internet told you.
    Can you read the posts ?
    Where did I say it was a judge or I got the info via the internet?
    The reg is clearly visible on photo published yesterday,from there it ain't impossible to get the owner.

Well first of all you admit it was a rumour.
    If the rumour is true who the driver was then I wouldn't expect them to get any sort of summons/FCPN.

Then you say it's mentioned here.
    It was mentioned on here yesterday ,if you do a bit of digging.
    Not going to post the name here,could do without a ban.

Then you direct people to post #48.
    See #48 .

You might figure it out from there.

That's just a randomer saying it's a judge.

Get the reg from the photo and get the info if you have the ways and means.
    I have no reason not to believe information I was told this evening.Which before you have a go wasn't gotten from a poster on here or "the internet ".

Get the reg from the photo and get the info if you have the ways and means.
    I have no reason not to believe information I was told this evening.Which before you have a go wasn't gotten from a poster on here or "the internet ".

The person who told you probably read it here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

If it was a judge, they'd have a Courts Service/Four Courts parking permit on their windscreen. No need for the "if you know where to go, you can find out from the reg".

But many barristers and solicitors would have the same permit.

Unless you're suggesting that someone in the Gardai or the Motor Tax Office is leaking info, then the "I was there and recognised the car" thing in the post referred to is a bit iffy, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The other problem yesterday was they failed to inform customers of the disruption for over 15 minutes and as soon as I asked them on twitter they make an announcement and updated the boards. Would a message have been that difficult to type on the screen earlier....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Twitter rumours.

I don't think there's anywhere you can look up the owner of the car so otherwise it's just hearsay.

You can't look up an owner, but anyone in the Gardaí can (though I'm not sure on the finer details or permissions needed). Rumours can spread that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Transdev should send the fine from the delays to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

They should be able to sue for loss of earnings and delays, €50k an hour or part thereof should be minimum for such an episode.
    All for moving the vehicle by whatever means necessary in such a situation but the above is bordering on being as silly as parking on a Luas Line!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

D3V!L wrote: »
    Would it make you feel better if their car was damaged ? Have you ever been on the receiving end of having your car keyed by some f*cktard because he thought you "deserved" it ?

We had our new to us Opel Kadett convertible keyed because it was nice and shiny and someone took exception to it. Not a nice feeling at all.

Car keyers are the scum of the earth.

They are but I have to say people like this cause disruption out of all proportion to their need or to the penalty which they will ultimately face. The other poster’s suggestion wasn’t really about keying the car (as you suffered randomly) but about direct action to discourage bad behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You can't look up an owner, but anyone in the Gardaí can (though I'm not sure on the finer details or permissions needed). Rumours can spread that way.

And any Garda would know that the action of looking up the owner is logged to the ID of the Garda doing the looking up - so if they suddenly see a ton of Gardai looking up the same number, especially one that has been in press, each Garda who looked it up will find themselves facing some awkward questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That car should have been cubed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

That car should have been cubed

Bit harsh if the owner was in it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And any Garda would know that the action of looking up the owner is logged to the ID of the Garda doing the looking up - so if they suddenly see a ton of Gardai looking up the same number, especially one that has been in press, each Garda who looked it up will find themselves facing some awkward questions.
    What about garages , don’t they have a database with owners against cars

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

You can't look up an owner, but anyone in the Gardaan

Any car dealer can too...

• Advertisement

Are you seriously suggesting that any car dealer (coming from an industry that has had significant connections to organised crime and money laundering) can look up the name/address of a registered owner of any car?

I've no knowledge of that industry, but I find that very hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you seriously suggesting that any car dealer (coming from an industry that has had significant connections to organised crime and money laundering) can look up the name/address of a registered owner of any car?

I've no knowledge of that industry, but I find that very hard to believe.
    Not any car dealer. But I’d hazard a guess and say any main dealer could look up the service/ warranty log.

ted1 wrote: »
    Not any car dealer. But I’d hazard a guess and say any main dealer could look up the service/ warranty log.

So you're suggesting that any BMW dealer could identify the name/address of anyone who bought their BMW new, or perhaps from a BMW dealer?

Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

If so, someone should point the BMW lads to this site, fairly urgently.

http://gdprandyou.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Didn't BMW say they will be in touch with "all registered owners" of the cars affected by that fault in the news recently, 10,000 I think they said.

I got 3 letters for a manufacturer check for my last car, not from the dealer I bought it from,
    My name and address was on envelope and the letter inside said "as current registered owner of 12-D-?????"

So they have names and addresses for car reg numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I had a vectra and Opel contacted over a recall issue.

Dealers would need to know if owner is genuine and finance etc.

selous wrote: »
    Didn't BMW say they will be in touch with "all registered owners" of the cars affected by that fault in the news recently, 10,000 I think they said.

I got 3 letters for a manufacturer check for my last car, not from the dealer I bought it from,
    My name and address was on envelope and the letter inside said "as current registered owner of 12-D-?????"

So they have names and addresses for car reg numbers.

So that's BMW Ireland then - not your local dealer. I can understand that BMW would have access, provided that they sought and got proper consent at the time of the purchase.

And I'd bet they have the names/addresses of those they sold to, not the current names/address in the official vehicle licensing database.

Does anyone have inside information to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I can't believe that there is no will or push to change or ammend bye-laws or legislation.

If a vehicle blocks a bus stop, bus lane, disabled bays, yellow box and so on.
    If someone is that thick to park on a tram track then the car should be removed any way which gets it out of the way fast.

If that means pushing it or placing a tow chain etc then it should be done.

Dublin city needs more then just one American truck with the rear grabber.
    Oh and clamping in so many instances is useless.

Many times I've seen cars clamped on roads with clearways or parking spaces and so on.

Why not remove the blocking vehicle then chaining it to the position on the road where it now will block the clearways for hours and cycle lane etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I can't believe that there is no will or push to change or ammend bye-laws or legislation.

If a vehicle blocks a bus stop, bus lane, disabled bays, yellow box and so on.
    If someone is that thick to park on a tram track then the car should be removed any way which gets it out of the way fast.

If that means pushing it or placing a tow chain etc then it should be done.

Dublin city needs more then just one American truck with the rear grabber.
    Oh and clamping in so many instances is useless.

Many times I've seen cars clamped on roads with clearways or parking spaces and so on.

Why not remove the blocking vehicle then chaining it to the position on the road where it now will block the clearways for hours and cycle lane etc.

Unfortunately it's the people who get clamped who kick up the most fuss about being clamped they complain to local TD's etc. about how they were clamped for parking illegally and the law abiding citizens who park legally don't kick up a fuss. They use excuses such they didn't know oh I didn't there was Luas track there or bus stop or a clearway and so on.

There needs to be hefty fines and a zero tolerance approach to illegal parking.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    the law abiding citizens who park legally don't kick up a fuss.
    The law-abiding citizens can do more - for a start, start phoning in reports of illegally parked vehicles to the relevant authorities. Here's the number for Dublin City clampers;

https://dsps.ie/contact/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,790 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

So that's BMW Ireland then - not your local dealer. I can understand that BMW would have access, provided that they sought and got proper consent at the time of the purchase.

And I'd bet they have the names/addresses of those they sold to, not the current names/address in the official vehicle licensing database.

Does anyone have inside information to confirm?

I bought an OPEL from a Peugeot dealer. I needed the pin for the radio. Contacted my local OPEL garage who were able to look up the reg of the car and could confirm that I indeed was the registered owner. (I also bough a car in a private sale, and similarly needed the radio PIN - main dealer gave it to me, could see I was the registered owner)

I also, a while later, got a letter from OPEL head office to bring the car in for a product recall issue.

So both head office, and the local main dealer (who I didn't buy the car from) knew I was the registered owner of the car.

Advertisement