Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car blocking the Luas and giving the owner time to move it!

Options
  • 28-05-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭

So the Red line was suspended because some moron decided to park on the footpath and track at Jervis. The Gardai were called and decided to give the driver time to move it! The car should be dragged from the area, can't lift due to the wires, and then lifted and any damage done tough and a huge fine.

Thousands of people impacted because this country is too soft on this stuff.

http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-suspended-jervis-4040904-May2018/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

What kind of idiot parks their car on the Luas line? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Who said he/she was getting away with it? They were hoping the driver would return as that's the quickest and easiest way of moving the car.

Having said that, if I was the Guard, I would have asked some of the shops if they had a forklift capable of moving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

She was apparently shopping in M&S!
    Where else was she to leave it? She was only going to be a few hours!
    But they couldn't have asked her to move it then, could they?
    The cheek of 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

I would hope that the time they were giving the driver to move it was only the length of time it took the tow-truck to arrive. Feckin eejit

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There should be one of these kept permanently in the city center:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOVn_-9-3u4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

bk wrote: »

Too high for the Luas line unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Wheety wrote:
    Having said that, if I was the Guard, I would have asked some of the shops if they had a forklift capable of moving it.
    And get yourself in trouble over compo payout for car damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

There should be a special hefty fine for gob****es who park on the luas line

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

flazio wrote: »
    Too high for the Luas line unfortunately.

Is it? Doesn't look that high to me, remember our Luas lines are high enough for a double decker bus to pass under.
    Yourmama wrote: »

No different then any other tow truck. In fact from what I've read about these beasts, they actually cause less damage then the traditional kind, it is one of their selling points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

In instances like this car should be towed and if owner can't prove it was an emergency let it be auctioned off along with other cars which are seized by CAB.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »

Or one of these:

http://www.mwctoys.com/images2/review_hted209_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

DCC have a 4x4 truck that could have removed it, looks like this...

tow-truck.jpg

Where we DCC council?

Any car like that should be moved right away and impounded down the back arse of Donegal to make sure they never do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yourmama wrote: »

Only if the legislation allows it, if the legislation to allow removal of badly parked vehicles says its at owners risk then tough..., a winch and a side lift would remove most things...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

When I lived in prague this was great to see, no clamps just towed straight away to the police cark park with a hefty fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wheety wrote: »
    Who said he/she was getting away with it? They were hoping the driver would return as that's the quickest and easiest way of moving the car.

Getting away with blocking public transport and the fine will be negligible compared to disruption caused.

The quickest and easiest way to have moved it was a rope through the towing eye and drag the fecking thing out of the way, any claim for damage should be laughed at. Even a group of people could have moved it clear of the tracks with zero damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Just a thought .

Could the Luas sue the driver for disruption to their business .

I presume such disruption could easily be in 4 figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Del2005 wrote: »

The quickest and easiest way to have moved it was a rope through the towing eye and drag the fecking thing out of the way, any claim for damage should be laughed at. Even a group of people could have moved it clear of the tracks with zero damage.

Yeah the car could be moved in seconds with relative ease. If you need manpower you have a Luas load ready to go. It really annoys me that we have a culture in this country of prioritising the interests of the person causing the disruption over the many being delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SPDUB wrote: »
    Just a thought .

They should be able to sue for loss of earnings and delays, €50k an hour or part thereof should be minimum for such an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TallGlass wrote: »
    DCC have a 4x4 truck that could have removed it, looks like this...

tow-truck.jpg

Where we DCC council?

Any car like that should be moved right away and impounded down the back arse of Donegal to make sure they never do it again.

This is widely used in the USA and very easy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

You're all looking for solutions that are very complicated. California Highway Patrol have long mastered the art of clearing disabled vehicles from roads. All of their patrol vehicles are fitted with bull bars so they just shove offending vehicles clear of the road. No ropes, no picking up, no towing, no elegance, just brute force.

Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Car should be towed asap, no way should the cops decide to give the driver some time to come back.
    The second it's reported a tow truck shoukd be sent.

Anyone who does that deserves a massive fine .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Somewhat surprised it wasn't clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

SPDUB wrote: »
    Just a thought .

Thereby creating a new legal phenomenon The Luas Chaser, barristers will hence forth rush from the four courts after every LUAS hoping a stupid motorist is blocking access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

moloner4 wrote: »
    When I lived in prague this was great to see, no clamps just towed straight away to the police cark park with a hefty fine.

Yes we need these in Dublin. Saw one in Italy where the car was blocking a bus from getting through on a narrow. Truck with hiab showed up quickly and had the car gone in under 90 seconds. Alternatively a few people could have bounced the car onto the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

moloner4 wrote: »

We used to have those in Dublin in the 90's!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭_Puma_

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Must have been an off duty cop's car :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Del2005 wrote: »
    So the Red line was suspended because some moron decided to park on the footpath and track at Jervis. The Gardai were called and decided to give the driver time to move it! The car should be dragged from the area, can't lift due to the wires, and then lifted and any damage done tough and a huge fine.

Thousands of people impacted because this country is too soft on this stuff.

http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-suspended-jervis-4040904-May2018/

Hundred of millions of euro in taxpayers’ hard earned money poured into PT and brought to a halt over one selfish idiot and nobody in authority seemingly having any knowledge or right to fix the issue.

Absolute shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That's just hard to believe.

What sort of selfish thick are you!?!

Advertisement