Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car blocking the Luas and giving the owner time to move it!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    We used to have those in Dublin in the 90's!

How come they were gotten rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Assume the gardai gave them minimum a ticket when the idiot arrived back?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stephen15 wrote: »
    How come they were gotten rid of?
    No idea, but I'd guess that towing/clamping - which were run then by the Garda Traffic Corps - just got swept up in the rush to privatise everything.

The current clamping contractors have those monster-truck pick-up tow wagons which I see trundling around town all the time, yet I have literally never seen a car on the back of one. What do they do all day? :confused:

We used to have those in Dublin in the 90's!

Was just going to say that, and they were operated by Gardai themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The driver should have asked his passengers to move it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

No idea, but I'd guess that towing/clamping - which were run then by the Garda Traffic Corps - just got swept up in the rush to privatise everything.

The current clamping contractors have those monster-truck pick-up tow wagons which I see trundling around town all the time, yet I have literally never seen a car on the back of one. What do they do all day? :confused:

Was thinking the same myself, most of the clamped cars I see are just clamped for not paying for parking or over staying parking in a parking spot.

For me it the attitude of the driver really, it's a serious fúck anyone else and everyone else I will do what I want.

And to think I have to share the road with such a fúcking moron and I can bet ya, that's the type of clown that does 80 in the outside lane on the M50 then shoots off across four lanes and over the chevrons cause they are paying no attention to which exit they are going off at.

And I also hope that the Gardaí actually checked they have a licence to drive and all was in order with that car, usually that type of driving uncovers other problems with regards insurance, tax, NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That's just hard to believe.

What sort of selfish thick are you!?!

Daughter got delayed on the Luas because of this thick and nearly missed an appointment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Other cities have muncipal police forces which deal with urban traffic offences such as illegal parking, directing traffic when lights are out, illegal usage of bus lane as well as the more minor crimes such as littering, dogs off leashes and that kind of thing issuing fines etc. They are employed by the council and are paid less than mainstream police officers. I think Dublin could do with these as a Garda backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Somewhat surprised it wasn't clamped.

Park in a bust stop on the likes of rathmines or Eden Quay and one won't even get a ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

markpb wrote: »
    You're all looking for solutions that are very complicated. California Highway Patrol have long mastered the art of clearing disabled vehicles from roads. All of their patrol vehicles are fitted with bull bars so they just shove offending vehicles clear of the road. No ropes, no picking up, no towing, no elegance, just brute force.

Youtube
    The Dodge Charger Pursuit has a 3.6 litre V6 engine. Those bull bars wouldn't be much use sellotaped to the front of an auld Mondeo...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Other cities have muncipal police forces which deal with urban traffic offences such as illegal parking, directing traffic when lights are out, illegal usage of bus lane as well as the more minor crimes such as littering, dogs off leashes and that kind of thing issuing fines etc. They are employed by the council and are paid less than mainstream police officers. I think Dublin could do with these as a Garda backup.

The Gardai would be complaining their jobs are being taken away from them, remember the backlash with community gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Car should have been taken away and thrown into a crusher.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

fritzelly wrote: »
    The Gardai would be complaining they're jobs are being taken away from them, remember the backlash with community gardai
    No. Community policing is a role within the service. It wasn't outsourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Our cops could do all that type of work but don't. Dublin city centre is a free for all when it comes to traffic. Walk around the city centre any day of the week and thwre will be plenty of drivers acting the bollix but you rarely see a cop doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Driving in, blocking and parking in a bus lane (experience all 3 every morning & evening commute) is just as inconsiderate but is ignored by the authorities, media and general public. It's the tacit acceptance of that behaviour that leads motorists to believe that they can do whatever they like with impunity at the expense of us plebs who use public transport, because 9 times out of 10 they generally can. Even in this instance, lady in expensive car blocks a tram line and car wasn't even towed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

TallGlass wrote: »
    Was thinking the same myself, most of the clamped cars I see are just clamped for not paying for parking or over staying parking in a parking spot.

For me it the attitude of the driver really, it's a serious fúck anyone else and everyone else I will do what I want.

And to think I have to share the road with such a fúcking moron and I can bet ya, that's the type of clown that does 80 in the outside lane on the M50 then shoots off across four lanes and over the chevrons cause they are paying no attention to which exit they are going off at.

And I also hope that the Gardaí actually checked they have a licence to drive and all was in order with that car, usually that type of driving uncovers other problems with regards insurance, tax, NCT.

I was there and I recognised the car, it actually belongs to a judge. Won't name the court or district but there you go, make of that what you will and what punishment will be bestowed upon them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

sexmag wrote: »
    I was there and I recognised the car, it actually belongs to a judge. Won't name the court or district but there you go, make of that what you will and what punishment will be bestowed upon them

FFS not a thing will happen so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We have a very serious problem here in Ireland with having just the Gardai being our only "policing" force and not having other policing forces with focus in different areas.

Traffic wardens could be turned into a more municipal type police force, with responsibility to not only hand out parking tickets *, but to also direct traffic, have cars towed, enforce bus lanes, etc.

Two weeks ago I was in Killarney and there most have been a dozen Gardai there just directing traffic! Now it was because the citizenship ceremony was on, but what a waste of resources, surely just some folks in yellow tops could have done the same.

Transport Policing is another example of this, get rid of the useless ticket checkers and security guys and replace them with transport police service who can both check tickets and do security and policing.

* One issue is that our cities make so much money from parking tickets, that is all they are focused on. If they were out directing traffic or having an individual car towed, then they aren't making as much as they could just ticketing cars.

Also that throws up the issue on the city not wanting to give up street parking they earn money off of to buses and why they don't want to eliminate cars completely from the city, parking revenue.

The whole thing is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Luas is bigger than any poxy car. Why not just nudge it out of the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

vicwatson wrote: »
    Assume the gardai gave them minimum a ticket when the idiot arrived back?

There are separate laws in place for parking and being on the Luas lines. Regular parking offences won't come into it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Luas would of been damaged. The car could have been easily moved by a group of people or dragged clear by the Garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Front of a Luas is fibreglass, with a buffer behind. Ramming cars would cost several hundred to several thousand euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Do the DCC lift cars at all? I remember in Galway years ago, if a car was parked on a double yellow line in the city centre it was lifted in a matter of minutes, no clamps, no grace period, just lifted and impounded. Haven't seen in happen in recent times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

The driver should have asked his passengers to move it...

Jesus, the woman in the Mini was probably a moron (assuming she didn't have an emergency), but the pack of mouth breathers just standing there filming her with their phones is like something out of Black Mirror. Very uncomfortable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

yer man! wrote: »
    Do the DCC lift cars at all?
    They tow them either to the pound or to a legal parking place (& clamp them) - more for nuisance cases than pure economic cases.

They look like this: http://www.studio12.ie/clients/dsps/banner_dsps_truck.jpg I think they are Ford F350s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

sugarman wrote: »
    Should have broke the window, pulled the handbrake and rolled it if there was no tow at hand. Insane to faff about waiting for someone to return to their car!

Works for some, but not for automatics as you need the key to get it out of park. But It should have been lifted or towed asap, not waiting for the owner to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Del2005 wrote: »
    So the Red line was suspended because some moron decided to park on the footpath and track at Jervis. The Gardai were called and decided to give the driver time to move it! The car should be dragged from the area, can't lift due to the wires, and then lifted and any damage done tough and a huge fine.

Thousands of people impacted because this country is too soft on this stuff.

http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-suspended-jervis-4040904-May2018/

But, but, but.......my daddy works for KPMG so I'm allowed to get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

main-qimg-c878b85d446a522f3ffc7928b5c0ef4a

Tow the car, and to get the car back, the owner has to pay a fine, and the daily impound rate.

Or the car gets crushed. Insert the law for LUAS tracks, and railway tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Because they're plastic crap

need real tram

Advertisement