Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Couldnt believe joey didnt start yesterday given his performances against wexford this year.padraig at 5 is a must and for me ger awlyatd is phsically better than shhehan or scanlon.richie has 3 weeksyo really kick on and the same with colin(croke park suita colin).the big question is who can play at 3.for me after yesterday I would start deegan there flanked by joey and murphy.really impressed wirh deegan his no nonsense approach to defending really inspires.padraig walsh drives a team just like his brother did and lifts every supporter in the ground.get the team right and we will rattle galway.

i actually think the same bout deegan i wonder would he consider him at 3 but he could go for someone like lennon at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Very impressed with the spirt showed by our lads last night. Thought the backs were much better in the second half especially Walsh and deegan and thought bucko came into it. Don't know how Conor o Shea started ahead of hoelden or cleere. Don't think Rob Lennon is the awnser at full back.

Thought it was weird going with sheenan scanlon and hogan inde full forward line at the start as the Wexford full back line struggles with big men as the second half shown. Tj the star again.

The young lads mighnt have the physicality yet but they have tremendous skill levels and fight which is great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭usualstripes

brookville wrote: »
    i actually think the same bout deegan i wonder would he consider him at 3 but he could go for someone like lennon at 3.

I'm not sure was it by chance that padraig ended up in the half back line. Was he following his man?
    I think cody should bite the bullet and go with the following v galway for the leinster final if we have everyone fit.

Paul murphy
    Conor Delaney
    Paddy deegan
    Padraig Walsh
    Jason cleere if fit.
    Cillian Buckley

If cleere is not fit then put bucks back in centre and Joey on the wing.

Buckley and Maher in the middle.

Our half forward line were bullied in salthill so we need Walter, leahy and tj on the half forward line. I know Colin was poor yesterday but his touch and awareness will improve.
    I'd go with blanchfield, Colin and and hogan inside. We certainly have the options of Scanlon, Sheehan, Donnelly a d awlward to come in.

Ball in to the forwards has to be switched between the garryowens and diagonal out in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Boro beaten in Feile semi final by Turloughmore by 2 late points.

Emeralds into the Div 3 final against Mount Leinster Rangers.

Graignamanagh lost the Div 6 QF to Cappamore who easily won their semi final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

danganabu wrote: »
    Powerhouse wrote: »

You may have shot the load a bit soon there lad, you waited a good few months to post your 'bookmark' if only you had waited another 35 mins ;)

Loughnane also claimed that Tipp had 3 defenders over 30 years of age and that they had no U21's on their panel........the man is stealing a living with rubbish cliches and regular non truths but gets way with it because everyone thinks he is a great laugh :rolleyes:

Well, lad?! I wasn't too far wrong after the League final after all when I said I'd have to revise my ranking of Tipperary as third in Munster. Only problem is the question of whether they are fourth or fifth is still up for grabs.

Some said at the time that my comments were "hilarious" but the reality is even funnier!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

I'm not sure was it by chance that padraig ended up in the half back line. Was he following his man?
    I think cody should bite the bullet and go with the following v galway for the leinster final if we have everyone fit.

Paul murphy
    Conor Delaney
    Paddy deegan
    Padraig Walsh
    Jason cleere if fit.
    Cillian Buckley

Our half forward line were bullied in salthill so we need Walter, leahy and tj on the half forward line. I know Colin was poor yesterday but his touch and awareness will improve.
    I'd go with blanchfield, Colin and and hogan inside. We certainly have the options of Scanlon, Sheehan, Donnelly a d awlward to come in.

Ball in to the forwards has to be switched between the garryowens and diagonal out in front.

Colin hasn't had a good game for about 3 years now. He can't start the next match.

kk1970 wrote: »

Paul murphy
    Conor Delaney
    Paddy deegan
    Padraig Walsh
    Jason cleere if fit.
    Cillian Buckley

Colin hasn't had a good game for about 3 years now. He can't start the next match.
    infairness he was very good again wexford but poor after that.His just so inconsistent its frustrating .He was good when he came on again dublin but he has being terrible the last two matches so he could have a good leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

brookville wrote: »
    infairness he was very good again wexford but poor after that.His just so inconsistent its frustrating .He was good when he came on again dublin but he has being terrible the last two matches so he could have a good leinster final.

Yes I agree, he just isn't consistent enough. But I do think that if any of the new young players on the panel had played like that, they wouldn't be seen for the rest of the year

Congratulations to Emeralds on winning Div 3 of the Féile

Turloughmore won it out

i suppose the next big match to look foward to is the u21 wednesday week against presumably galway in tullamore.it'd be great to get a win but it'll be very tough to get over the first hurdle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Congratulations to Emeralds on winning Div 3 of the Féile

Turloughmore won it out

Thanks for keeping us updated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

kk1970 wrote: »
    Wexford in last years championship when he took them on by himself.waterford in 16 replay

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Strange last night that teams weren't named over the PA prior to throw in. Was it part of the dummy team strategy!!

Never announced attendance either.

Think it was just too hot for your man to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I was watching Padraig second half and he really did show leadership when needed as he wanted the ball from Murphy a number of times to get moves going. The first burst forward was from the fullback line and it's like he got a taste for it after that as he told Paddy to fill in for him as he stayed in the half back line for the next puc out. He did this a couple more times so presumably he was given licence to do so at half time. I give him a lot of credit for changing the momentum as his driving runs really squeezed Wexford back.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Three of the four counties that had to play four consecutive weeks in the provincial round robin are Out of the All-Ireland series (Offaly, Tipperary and Waterford). Wexford were the fourth.
    Colm Bonnar (Carlow manager) spoke at the weekend at his disappointment that the McDonagh Cup would be reduced to 5 teams next year as it was great this year with six teams and with all playing at the same time, it was a level playing field. Significant stat for any end of year review.
    On the other side, if Limerick are not beaten by Clare next weekend, the 2 counties (Limerick and Galway) who had the "Play 2-Bye-Play 2" sequence, deemed to be the ideal scenario will have both been the only unbeaten counties in the round robins. If combined with the first stat, you think there is significance, then you could possibly put a question mark about how far ahead they really are when all teams are rested similarly. Regardless, interesting on a rushed, knee jerk (to Super 8s) and poorly designed league system.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KAMG

Agree with most of your points but wasn't it Clare who had that schedule in Munster. They played 2. Had a week off. Played against Tipp and now play Limerick next Weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

KAMG wrote: »
    Agree with most of your points but wasn't it Clare who had that schedule in Munster. They played 2. Had a week off. Played against Tipp and now play Limerick next Weekend.

Yea and Galway had Offaly first then a week off followed by 3 games in a row. Didn't Dublin have the "2 and 2" in Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I was watching Padraig second half and he really did show leadership when needed as he wanted the ball from Murphy a number of times to get moves going. The first burst forward was from the fullback line and it's like he got a taste for it after that as he told Paddy to fill in for him as he stayed in the half back line for the next puc out. He did this a couple more times so presumably he was given licence to do so at half time. I give him a lot of credit for changing the momentum as his driving runs really squeezed Wexford back.

He was oustanding second half.Serious fightback from KK.Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

There wasn't a great deal of structure to Wexford's forwards in the second half, they started to bunch quite a lot and hence our defence did which really suited us. But from what I could work out Paddy Deegan played the closest to a conventional full back role in the second half and Padraig Walsh had more freedom to push up and was a joy to watch. Whether this was a management decision or the players decided it themselves but there is definitely food for thought for the Leinster Final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

I actually credited Paul Murphy with going in full back. It looked like a player decision with the backs, they stopped running after the forwards and set up to stop the ball being played into space. Leahy and Mossy played a big part in this as they dropped to just behind our 65 for the puck outs. Also Walter stayed in on the edge of the square and the addition of Blanchfield forced the sweeper to drop behind the full backs hence more room for Tj. Just a point missed Scanlon made some great runs in the second half that if the ball had gone into him he would have been in on goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

dzer2 wrote: »
    I actually credited Paul Murphy with going in full back. It looked like a player decision with the backs, they stopped running after the forwards and set up to stop the ball being played into space. Leahy and Mossy played a big part in this as they dropped to just behind our 65 for the puck outs. Also Walter stayed in on the edge of the square and the addition of Blanchfield forced the sweeper to drop behind the full backs hence more room for Tj. Just a point missed Scanlon made some great runs in the second half that if the ball had gone into him he would have been in on goal.

Yeah, as i said there wasn't much structure to that half of the pitch, i was at that end of the ground and definitely on a couple of the Wexford restarts Paddy was standing in the conventional full back spot. One thing is for sure Padraig didn't play as a full back in the second half.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

9 Wins from that last 10 competitive matches! Isn’t that what it is all about?... scoring more than the opposition. At least that’s what I thought or do people want something different? Anyway, more anon.

Discussion points from the match. Team selection; Went from one extreme to the other. From almost never a dummy team to the ultimate in a dummy team. So much so that the team lineouts were not even announced. I’m sure that wasn’t the stadium announcers call. Every single player on the panel was in his jersey (no tops or bibs) and on the pitch for the National Anthem. Doesn’t usually happen either. Subs usually go to the side line. The players and management obviously knew the lineout and plan, but how much anyone else knew, is hard to tell. I’m sure it wrecked Davy’s head that Kilkenny were so unpredictable. Did it work? As one poster said it was either genius or almost backfired. I’ll go with both. Anyway we don’t do “tactics”.

Padraig Walsh has been mentioned in a lot of post-match posts. If somebody wants to trawl through my posts over the past year they will see I was one of the first to question Padraig’s placing at full back. Now with the benefit of seeing the bigger picture, I see its purpose more clearly and I think it maybe the best for the team now. The main big plus is that nobody who plays a sweeper against us will beat us. Our “system”, when we apply it properly, as we did in the second half, is almost unbreakable. The suggestion of putting Conor Delaney there is ludicrous this year. We are in a Leinster Final followed by either a knockout All-Ireland semi Final or Quarter Final and lads are looking for experimentation now. Seriously? Obviously there is the issue if Padraig gets injured, but hopefully the management team has a plan B rehearsed in training. Conor could possibly be there in the future but there is better on the way over the next 2/3 years.
    Kilkenny fans are struggling with the new style of play which is designed to beat sweepers. The fans need to understand how it works. The number of fans I hear shouting at a Kilkenny backs to “get rid of it” is mad. The game we are playing is not traditional, but it is football like, it is effective and we have the players to pull it off. It is football like in that positions are fluid during the course of the game. One key is athletic players who like to push forward from the full back line. It also means that as many scores can come from out the field rather than our forwards for the lads concerned about our forwards scoring or not. (We are getting closer to the day when a goalkeeper will score from a puck out). The results suggest the “system” is working. It is not without threats as Liam Rushe and Conor Cooney proved. But then again look how Walter Walsh eliminated the effect of Liam Ryan in the second half. And for those who were confused Padraig was still the Full Back even though he pushed up the field at times in the second half. (Watch the frees coming in). A full back that we now expect to attack. The modern football full back is not always standing minding the square , is he?

I said in a previous post when we had 8 wins in a row, that the one constant was the full back line. It was broken for the Galway match and the start of Wexford. Joey Holden came on at half time. He may not have gone to the full back line but he did contribute to the system being fixed. It was fascinating to see the system repair itself as the second half progressed with the introduction of the league regulars.

Special mention for Eoin Murphy, yet again catching a ball going over the bar. Vital in the context of the overall result. We won by a point. I wonder if that crazy poster who suggested that the county board should pull Kilkenny out of the championship if we couldn’t beat Wexford feels the county board should still consider when it was such a tight margin. My thoughts are he/she should consider finding a new team to support. It was very disrespectful to Wexford but then again it was an anti-Kilkenny sentiment. Both ourselves and Wexford beat Dublin by 2 points. Galway only beat them by a point. Maybe all Leinster should pull out and leave it to the Munster lads. They seem to like the spotlight.

Kilkenny scored 7 points in the first half playing into the town end goal with 9 wides. Wexford scored 7 points in the second combined with a lot of wides too. I never really thought about it before, but is there a greater difficulty of scoring at the town end or was it just a coincidence in that match? A lot of the wides came from the left hand side shooting into the sun.

9 Wins from that last 10 competitive matches! Only team to beat us were the reigning All-Ireland champions and favourites (in a game which was our third consecutive match). Won the National League Final. In the Leinster Final. Introduced the new generation of Kilkenny players, all of which have made some kind of a positive impact, if not consistently. Changed the style of play, which I personally enjoy and still the Kilkenny supporter is negative. For example, I had an earache on Saturday listening to a Kilkenny “fan” bemoaning the team selection, telling everyone around him about how poor it was. (The same guy was probably looking for Hogan and Fennelly to start all along). He also moaned about the absence of an attacking half back in the first half. When Joey Holden came bounding out on to the pitch for the second half, his comment was “and we thought things couldn’t get worse”. When Joey scored his point, a lad near me turned around and said similar to what I was thinking. “you were right!, we did need an attacking half back!” I couldn’t help but smile. When the game was over the guy did not even cheer or clap the Kilkenny victory. He actually seemed disappointed. It was like as if he would have preferred to be right and see Kilkenny lose. How he could actually enjoy his day supporting Kilkenny with that mentality is beyond me, but reading a lot of the comments here, he is not alone (even allowing for the trolls). In fact he may be a poster here. It is sad that so many of our own supporters would prefer to be right with the pre-conceived notions than see the team win. If Padraig contributes to the team better at full back, so be it. I’m happy to be wrong about it., once the team is getting the results, because it is not about Padraig’s personal tally on the scoreboard, it is about the overall team score being higher than the oppositions which has happened in 9 out of the last 10 competitive games. The facts I mention at the start of this paragraph are genuine facts. At this point in time as Kilkenny fans, we should be delighted. I know it’s no guarantee of future success, but if you can’t enjoy and delight in what you currently have, you should find a different hobby. It’s not as if many have done any real analysis of the game and discussed the turning point for example, the gradual return to the winning “tactical” setup or anything. It seems to be mainly whinges and personal player wish lists. Maybe that’s what the thread is meant for but surely it’s also to celebrate what we have done well. At the moment, the stats would say we are one of the form teams. Galway can be nervous in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

Davy's interview was comical after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

No harm Hawkeye but that report seems to be more about you and how your opinions are so much better than others, than the match itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

No harm Hawkeye but that report seems to be more about you and how your opinions are so much better than others, than the match itself.

:D
    I was just about to post the same thing!

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Three of the four counties that had to play four consecutive weeks in the provincial round robin are Out of the All-Ireland series (Offaly, Tipperary and Waterford). Wexford were the fourth.
    Colm Bonnar (Carlow manager) spoke at the weekend at his disappointment that the McDonagh Cup would be reduced to 5 teams next year as it was great this year with six teams and with all playing at the same time, it was a level playing field. Significant stat for any end of year review.
    On the other side, if Limerick are not beaten by Clare next weekend, the 2 counties (Limerick and Galway) who had the "Play 2-Bye-Play 2" sequence, deemed to be the ideal scenario will have both been the only unbeaten counties in the round robins. If combined with the first stat, you think there is significance, then you could possibly put a question mark about how far ahead they really are when all teams are rested similarly. Regardless, interesting on a rushed, knee jerk (to Super 8s) and poorly designed league system.

Its an interesting one but of the 4 teams eliminated Dublin are the only ones to have won any game and all 4 lost their first game. I could see merit in the argument that the 4 games in a row was the deciding factor if those teams had won their first game and faded badly in week 4. Tipps best performance was actually in week 4. Wexfords best performance was probably on Sat in week 4 aside from the offaly cakewalk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

minty81 wrote: »
    Its an interesting one but of the 4 teams eliminated Dublin are the only ones to have won any game and all 4 lost their first game. I could see merit in the argument that the 4 games in a row was the deciding factor if those teams had won their first game and faded badly in week 4. Tipps best performance was actually in week 4. Wexfords best performance was probably on Sat in week 4 aside from the offaly cakewalk.

the 4 weeks in a row was not a factor in Wexford losing on Saturday evening. I say that as a disappointed Wexford supporter.

I do think it should change, realistically how can it be deemed fair that Wexford play 4 weeks in a row and the team they play the deciding game in the 4th of these games has the week off previous to it. Bad luck of the draw, but again, not a deciding factor. Wexford had it in their grasp and gave up doing what was serving them well through the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Village87

I think the head to head should be dropped from the system. Very unfair when taking all things into account home venues, teams playing 3/4 weeks consecutively.

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote: »

I think the head to head should be dropped from the system. Very unfair when taking all things into account home venues, teams playing 3/4 weeks consecutively.

I'd agree going forward it should be dropped and don't see any reason why am extra week can't be added given the 3 week break now to provincial final.
    I just meant i don't think it was a deciding factor this year.
    I'd imagine if the same structure is in place next year that the 4 teams who played 4 in a row are rotated so that its a different 4 teams next year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement