Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

robwen wrote: »
    The 44 man panel Kilkenny have been working off this year from the Kilkenny People..

Yep no real surprises there, those are all the lads that have been mentioned on here throughout the year.

One thing I do want to know is why the decision was taken to only bring the 26 on match days this year?
    Is it because the panel is so large? Up to this year there would have been the other panel members in tracksuits in the stand behind the subs.
    Has there been an edict from Croke Park?
    Is the County board not willing to cough up the extra dough to bring these lads along for a day when their not going to take any part?
    Do the lads themselves not want to be part of the day if their not going to be involved at all?
    If we're get to an AI final will it be just the 26 that are picked for that day that will get to travel up on the bus?

It's not a big thing but it's just something I've been wondering about for the last little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Grats

Yep no real surprises there, those are all the lads that have been mentioned on here throughout the year.

One thing I do want to know is why the decision was taken to only bring the 26 on match days this year?
    Is it because the panel is so large? Up to this year there would have been the other panel members in tracksuits in the stand behind the subs.
    Is the County board not willing to cough up the extra dough to bring these lads along for a day when their not going to take any part?
    Do the lads themselves not want to be part of the day if their not going to be involved at all?
    If we're get to an AI final will it be just the 26 that are picked for that day that will get to travel up on the bus?

It's not a big thing but it's just something I've been wondering about for the last little while.

I had been wondering myself why Wexford and Cork had more than the 26 on match day and we didn't. When I read the program for the Leinster Final and saw so many on our extended panel I assumed a line had to be drawn somewhere. Who would you leave out on match day? It would appear its a new approach and perhaps a sure indication that Cody has a longer term plan and he'll be sticking around next year with a ready made panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Croke park have changed the rules re. match day panels, traditionally you named your match day panel and if someone picked up an injury the day before or that morning or even in the warm up, they could be replaced. This year however once the 26 is named thats it, if someone cries off they cant be replaced - happened Tipp v Limerick in the Munster Final when Cathal Barrett failed the fitness test, they only had 25 on the match day panel.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Croke park have changed the rules re. match day panels, traditionally you named your match day panel and if someone picked up an injury the day before or that morning or even in the warm up, they could be replaced. This year however once the 26 is named thats it, if someone cries off they cant be replaced - happened Tipp v Limerick in the Munster Final when Cathal Barrett failed the fitness test, they only had 25 on the match day panel.

I understand that but these lads are training away all year and then to not be even on the bus is a bit rough I think. Traditionally (as far as I'm aware) we would have brought a little over 30 to matches even if the lads over the 26 weren't going to play. Those panels would have lads on what you'd call the extended training panel who would be at most sessions but rarely if ever involved in the match day panels (this year) They would play the subs in training matches if lads go down injured etc. Is it because we can't fit them all on one bus? By my reckoning there are 4 management, about 4 medical staff (doc and Physio's) Nutritionist and 2 stats ladies, making 11 backroom and then 44 players is 55 and the biggest buses take 52 as far as I'm aware. But why doesn't he leave the 8 or 9 lads furthest from a chance of playing make their own way and bring the rest. I don't know why the change. As I said it's not a big thing I'm just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

Pogue eile wrote: »

Registration/Lists for Inter-County Senior Championship
    Games

Special Provisions for Registration of Teams and supply
    of Team List to Referee for all Inter-County Senior
    Championship Games

Notwithstanding the provisions of any other Rules, the
    following requirements shall specifically apply to all InterCounty Senior Championship Games:

(a) For all Senior Inter-County Championship Games, the
    Team line-out (Fifteen Players and maximum Eleven
    Panel Members - total twenty six) shall be registered
    with the Committee-in-Charge not later than 9 am on
    the Thursday before a week-end game.

Penalty: Withdrawal of Sideline Privileges from Bainisteoir
    for one game and/or maximum €1,000 fine on the County
    Committee, depending on the circumstances.

(b) No Players may be added to the registered Team or
    Panel after it has been submitted to the Committee-inCharge.
    Exception - A Goalkeeper or Sub-Goalkeeper may be
    replaced by another Goalkeeper and such replacement
    shall only be allowed to play as a Goalkeeper.

Penalty for playing, or including on the Team list submitted
    to the Referee, a player who has not been registered with
    the Committee-in-Charge: Forfeiture of Game.

(c) A prescribed Team List (as issued by the Committee-inCharge from time to time), confirming the 15 starting
    players and maximum 11 additional panel members,
    shall be submitted to the Referee not later than forty
    minutes before the official starting times of the Game
    and shall only contain the names of Registered Players
    specified in paragraphs (a) or (b), together with the
    Team Officials.

Penalty: Fine on the County Committee - up to a maximum
    of €1,000 for each minute over the prescribed time.

• Advertisement

JohnCougar wrote: »
    Registration/Lists for Inter-County Senior Championship
    Games

Special Provisions for Registration of Teams and supply
    of Team List to Referee for all Inter-County Senior
    Championship Games

Notwithstanding the provisions of any other Rules, the
    following requirements shall specifically apply to all InterCounty Senior Championship Games:

(a) For all Senior Inter-County Championship Games, the
    Team line-out (Fifteen Players and maximum Eleven
    Panel Members - total twenty six) shall be registered
    with the Committee-in-Charge not later than 9 am on
    the Thursday before a week-end game.

Penalty: Withdrawal of Sideline Privileges from Bainisteoir
    for one game and/or maximum €1,000 fine on the County
    Committee, depending on the circumstances.

(b) No Players may be added to the registered Team or
    Panel after it has been submitted to the Committee-inCharge.
    Exception - A Goalkeeper or Sub-Goalkeeper may be
    replaced by another Goalkeeper and such replacement
    shall only be allowed to play as a Goalkeeper.

Penalty for playing, or including on the Team list submitted
    to the Referee, a player who has not been registered with
    the Committee-in-Charge: Forfeiture of Game.

(c) A prescribed Team List (as issued by the Committee-inCharge from time to time), confirming the 15 starting
    players and maximum 11 additional panel members,
    shall be submitted to the Referee not later than forty
    minutes before the official starting times of the Game
    and shall only contain the names of Registered Players
    specified in paragraphs (a) or (b), together with the
    Team Officials.

Penalty: Fine on the County Committee - up to a maximum
    of €1,000 for each minute over the prescribed time.

Team Party/Selections

(a) A County team party shall consist of not more than
    twenty four players and five officials of the County
    Committee.
    Exception:
    A Senior Inter-County Team Party may have up to, but
    not more than twenty six players.

(b) In All-Ireland Semi-Finals and Finals the placing of
    teams must be given to the Director General at least
    six days prior to the game.
    Penalty for (b): Fine €500.

Team Party/Selections

(a) A County team party shall consist of not more than
    twenty four players and five officials of the County
    Committee.
    Exception:
    A Senior Inter-County Team Party may have up to, but
    not more than twenty six players.

(b) In All-Ireland Semi-Finals and Finals the placing of
    teams must be given to the Director General at least
    six days prior to the game.
    Penalty for (b): Fine €500.

1.4 ENTRY TO FIELD OF PLAY/Incursions

One Team Official (Maor Foirne, who is
    an assistant to the Bainisteoir), may move
    alongside the sidelines and enter the field of
    play, as specified hereunder, to make changes
    and/or to give instructions to players.

The Maor Foirne shall enter the field of play
    through the Substitution Zone and only when
    the ball has gone out of play following a score
    or a ‘wide’ or during a stoppage in play which
    is called by the Referee for medical attention to
    an injured player.

This named official shall wear a yellow or
    tangerine coloured bib/distinctive top which
    shall have “MAOR FOIRNE” in clear large
    letters. The Committee-in-Charge shall
    determine and notify the colour to be used by
    each Maor Foirne.

The Maor Foirne may not act as a water carrier
    or hurley carrier. A Selector is permitted to act
    as Maor Foirne. The Maor Foirne shall not be a
    listed member of the Team Panel

I understand that but these lads are training away all year and then to not be even on the bus is a bit rough I think. Traditionally (as far as I'm aware) we would have brought a little over 30 to matches even if the lads over the 26 weren't going to play. Those panels would have lads on what you'd call the extended training panel who would be at most sessions but rarely if ever involved in the match day panels (this year) They would play the subs in training matches if lads go down injured etc. Is it because we can't fit them all on one bus? By my reckoning there are 4 management, about 4 medical staff (doc and Physio's) Nutritionist and 2 stats ladies, making 11 backroom and then 44 players is 55 and the biggest buses take 52 as far as I'm aware. But why doesn't he leave the 8 or 9 lads furthest from a chance of playing make their own way and bring the rest. I don't know why the change. As I said it's not a big thing I'm just curious.

I am not sure why the extended panel are not brought to games but I would think its a County Board decision. The players are told on a Thursday by text who is in the 26 for Sunday and those 26 turn up for training/meeting on Friday night when the team is named.

Maybe to make room for John Delaney and the girlfriend. We have not won an Ireland since 2015 when he was on the bus after the match :):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

As far as I know they are looked after with tickets. But make their own way and do their own thing on match days.
    I certainly wouldn't want 20 extra lads on the team bus on match days
    Just going up for the spin.
    That is a sacred time for players in their prep for games.

As far as I know they are looked after with tickets. But make their own way and do their own thing on match days.
    I certainly wouldn't want 20 extra lads on the team bus on match days
    Just going up for the spin.
    That is a sacred time for players in their prep for games.

I know for a fact their looked after for tickets, as you'd expect. We went through years when we brought 30 odd lads to games and I don't think any of them objected, either those starting or those not going to get a game at all.

I just think you have lads in their working just as hard giving up as much of their time and then just to be told to make their own way up to the game is a bit much. If it was me I don't know If I'd bother going it feels like a real snub. I know Ballyhale brought their full panel up to Croke Park obviously only 24 had a chance of playing but everyone got to be involved. What about the lad who is training every night on the "B team". I think those lads deserve to be brought along but anyway I was just wondering have we decided it and if so why or has it been imposed on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

I am not sure why the extended panel are not brought to games but I would think its a County Board decision. The players are told on a Thursday by text who is in the 26 for Sunday and those 26 turn up for training/meeting on Friday night when the team is named.

Maybe to make room for John Delaney and the girlfriend. We have not won an Ireland since 2015 when he was on the bus after the match :):):):):)

I heard this was to stop teams and switches being leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Team for Saturday,

Murphy
    Murphy
    Lawlor
    Delaney
    Walsh
    Deegan
    Fogarty
    Maher
    Leahy
    Hogan
    TJ
    Walter
    Mullen
    Fennelly
    Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

I think we need to keep Fogarty as a midfielder and give him the remit to drop back as he did V Cork.

I see most suggested teams have Fogarty as wing back. Just don't think he works for us as an orthodox wing back.
    We will need our 6 backs playing deep and Fogarty operating between the 2 lines. Our half forward line should drop back to the middle and try create some space in front of Colin.

Prior to the Cork game, Fogarty had been a serious concern. We need to replicate the 2nd half V Cork. If we can do that, and not fall into the trap of lumping balls up we will win.

SteJer wrote: »
    Team for Saturday,

Murphy
    Murphy
    Lawlor
    Delaney
    Walsh
    Deegan
    Fogarty
    Maher
    Leahy
    Hogan
    TJ
    Walter
    Mullen
    Fennelly
    Donnelly

Strong team on paper .
    But probably not the starting 15 Joey will probably hold on and Browne.

Could Cody go with something a bit different like

Murphy

Murphy
    Lawler
    Walsh go after gillane from the start hammer the hammer

Fogarty
    Browne could be a good match up with hayes
    Deegan

Maher
    Leahy

Wally
    Tj
    Mullen

Hogan
    Fennelly
    Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Good tickets for sale now on tickets.ie, lower Cusack 304

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

I think we need to keep Fogarty as a midfielder and give him the remit to drop back as he did V Cork.

I see most suggested teams have Fogarty as wing back. Just don't think he works for us as an orthodox wing back.
    We will need our 6 backs playing deep and Fogarty operating between the 2 lines. Our half forward line should drop back to the middle and try create some space in front of Colin.

Prior to the Cork game, Fogarty had been a serious concern. We need to replicate the 2nd half V Cork. If we can do that, and not fall into the trap of lumping balls up we will win.

Fogarty will be half back again, why change him, his best game of the year was the last day and he played half back throughout.

Team for Saturday,

Murphy
    Murphy
    Lawlor
    Delaney
    Walsh
    Deegan
    Fogarty
    Maher
    Leahy
    Hogan
    TJ
    Walter
    Mullen
    Fennelly
    Donnelly

Would love to see Delaney, and indeed Buckley, back but feel it's too late in the season. We'd have a great set of backs if those two were available. Joey will start and Browne, with Maher to come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Good to see Zack Bay back on the minor starting 15 at 7 and Ian Byrne scorer of 2-1 from the bench last day starts at 15. Best od luck to them all they are a good team.

Good to see Zack Bay back on the minor starting 15 at 7 and Ian Byrne scorer of 2-1 from the bench last day starts at 15. Best od luck to them all they are a good team.

After both their contributions versus Galway it's no great surprise. Both Dunnamaggin midfielders in subs now after lining out together on most games. The team as selected is strongest looking to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Grats wrote: »
    After both their contributions versus Galway it's no great surprise. Both Dunnamaggin midfielders in subs now after lining out together on most games. The team as selected is strongest looking to date.

I thought Zak struggled a lot when he came on against Galway in the second half. He was marking #15 Greg Thomas who caught a good few balls which ended up in scores, including the third goal.

Thoughts? Maybe I've gotten mixed up

• Advertisement

I thought Zak struggled a lot when he came on against Galway in the second half. He was marking #15 Greg Thomas who caught a good few balls which ended up in scores, including the third goal.

Thoughts? Maybe I've gotten mixed up

Maybe you're right but I thought he added something with his attacking style. Albeit a little over ambitious but nothing that couldn't be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Strong team on paper .
    But probably not the starting 15 Joey will probably hold on and Browne.

Could Cody go with something a bit different like

Murphy

Murphy
    Lawler
    Walsh go after gillane from the start hammer the hammer

Fogarty
    Browne could be a good match up with hayes
    Deegan

Maher
    Leahy

Wally
    Tj
    Mullen

Hogan
    Fennelly
    Donnelly

Lawlor or Delaney will be well able for Gillane. We need to keep Padraig Walsh on the half back line and not bottled up trying to man mark Gillane. I think Maher might be our best option to man mark Lynch. Browne has plenty of running in him but I can’t see him keeping up to Lynch in full flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭kk.man

If we manage to cut off the supply lines and force limerick to take shots from distance I feel this will be key. It will mean working like dogs from the start.

Has or will the Official team be on Kilkenny Gaa website tonight

Lawlor or Delaney will be well able for Gillane. We need to keep Padraig Walsh on the half back line and not bottled up trying to man mark Gillane. I think Maher might be our best option to man mark Lynch. Browne has plenty of running in him but I can’t see him keeping up to Lynch in full flight.

Probably start that way but if gillane is doing harm what is plan b
    Against cork Walsh back to the full line was our move to counteract
    their threat..I think Browne is rated higher outside kk than in.spoke to one of the cork panel yesterday and he raved about him outstanding for both college teams he played for and in cork championship

Probably start that way but if gillane is doing harm what is plan b
    Against cork Walsh back to the full line was our move to counteract
    their threat..I think Browne is rated higher outside kk than in.spoke to one of the cork panel yesterday and he raved about him outstanding for both college teams he played for and in cork championship

I think Brian Cody has a plan for Browne too.

Has or will the Official team be on Kilkenny Gaa website tonight

Doubt it, it's always Friday no matter if it's a Saturday or Sunday fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭brookville

kk.man wrote: »
    If we manage to cut off the supply lines and force limerick to take shots from distance I feel this will be key. It will mean working like dogs from the start.

Sounds simple alright but i think this is the only way we can beat limerick but as others have said we can't afford to have our half back line pulled our past mid field and our full back line left exposed inside.we know tom morrissey and hegarty will cover serious ground and spend time in their half back line and if they get the head up to delivery diagonal ball inside to gillane,Casey and mulcahy its very hard defend against.we will have to work like dogs out around here and I think lynch makes them click so it'll be intresting to see who we put on him cause last year we used fogarty.It would be a big ask for buckley after missing so much of like us to use fogarty like they use hannon just sitting in the pocket.They will have hannon in front of colin so it'll be intresting to see what they do with tj they generally dont man mark.
    What will we do with our puck outs?going route one on top of hannon,Byrne's and morrissey is bread and butter but wally,tj and mullen all good in the air so these will all be good battles but we need to vary tings.Will we man mark gillane?padraig has being up and down but wouldnt be a out and out man marker.All these potential match ups are intriguing and add to the excitement.
    I'm hopefull we get our tactics and match ups right and the cork victory will give us confidence but as we know this will be different ball game but we know whats coming down the tracks our lads will give what they have anyway im looking foward to it now it would be brillant if we could get the win.Best of luck to the two teams saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

48376013702_9349d1962d_b.jpg

• Advertisement

We should man mark no one. Let them worry about us. I dont care what Kilkenny midfield pairing starts who ever they are should play their own game unrestricted by the straight jacket of being told to man mark some one.By definition all four midfield players are trying to nullify the opposition any way so there is no need for special instructions. Similarly at the back let us play our own positions and keep some cover at all times at the back. After that let them worry about us and they have just as much as us to worry about.Let there be no negativity let them worry about man marking us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement