Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Are you the same poster now?
    Under 21 is considered underage not adult where you come from?. It would nice for him to articulate wouldn't it?.

I would say that any reasonable person would, for the purposes of GAA discussion, accept that under-age" success would include under-21. Distinctions between under-age people and adults outside of that is another matter. He might not have made this explicit because he was unaware that there was someone reading it and absolutely frothing for a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I would say that any reasonable person would, for the purposes of GAA discussion, accept that under-age" success would include under-21. Distinctions between under-age people and adults outside of that is another matter.

I mean the clue is in the title, Under 21, you have to be under the age to be eligible to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

davidx40 wrote: »

When i here people talk about a fully fit Ritchie Hogan it drives me nuts .....Ritchie hasnt being fit in 3 years hes had 3 discs fused in his back ......

Is it not fair to say that given his age, the toll injuries have taken, and the physical demands of inter-county hurling right now that Hogan's day is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I thought this day couldn't get any ****ter after losing two finals and then Powerhouse and Hawkeye start arguing.

12 wides to 3 tells its own story. I felt Wexford hurled better than us and deserved to win but we created enough chances to win the game all the same. Bad decision making again to the fore. Ger Aylward, for me, is no longer an answer to any situation up front. His striking is so poor. His decision to shoot for goal from the corner of the D with Fennelly inside him looked horrendous at the time but having watched the Sunday Game I didn't realise he had someone on his left as well so we actually had a 3 on 1 14 yards out. Criminal.

Our movement up front and use of space is awful. We complain a lot about the delivery from the backs but our forwards do not help matters.

Mullen was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mullinr2

We are carrying too many average players to win anything. Cork will fancy taking us on. The fact that we have only won two leinster U21 titles this decade is coming back to haunt us now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Commiserations to KK,it was so tight it could of swung either way,We Wexford scored our chances today,Freetaking was suberb by Chin and he stood up in General play too,tactics changed today especially puckouts.Thought Lawlor was KK man of the match,some player.Couldnt understand why KK went for short ball so early,surprised as they never do that,they had time and chances.Also thought Mullen was a huge handful for us,he will be a KK stalwart.Rory O Connor showed more glimpses of what he can do,this will push him to do better things and came of age today,Delighted with the win,would fancy KK to beat Cork have to say,It will suit us just fine to be underdogs for the Semi final if Tipp make it but wouldn’t be surprised if Dublin turn them over,as shown today Tipp not as good as they think, Limerick look super.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    Commiserations to KK,it was so tight it could of swung either way,We Wexford scored our chances today,Freetaking was suberb by Chin and he stood up in General play too,tactics changed today especially puckouts.Thought Lawlor was KK man of the match,some player.Couldnt understand why KK went for short ball so early,surprised as they never do that,they had time and chances.Also thought Mullen was a huge handful for us,he will be a KK stalwart.Rory O Connor showed more glimpses of what he can do,this will push him to do better things and came of age today,Delighted with the win,would fancy KK to beat Cork have to say,It will suit us just fine to be underdogs for the Semi final if Tipp make it but wouldn’t be surprised if Dublin turn them over,as shown today Tipp not as good as they think, Limerick look super.

Congrats on the win, I thought Wexford were the better team and played some really nice hurling at times. Chin had one of those days... If he had to take a free from outside the stadium on Jones' Road he probably still would score it. Enjoy the celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

laneykin wrote: »
    Passed Kevin Kelly walking in the street around Croke Park right after the match so doubt he’s still part of the panel. If he was surely he would have been in with the team.
    He was probably walking along with Richie Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

1984baby wrote: »
    Richie Reid drinking pints in carton house last night, doubt he’s on the panel anymore
    Well the programme from the match today says different

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I would say that any reasonable person would, for the purposes of GAA discussion, accept that under-age" success would include under-21. Distinctions between under-age people and adults outside of that is another matter. He might not have made this explicit because he was unaware that there was someone reading it and absolutely frothing for a row.

Pot kettle...
    Your history, is to always appear here when Kilkenny lose with a sole aim of knocking Kilkenny and stirring. You are not a Kilkenny supporter. You do not need to do it. You have your own county forum and I have no problem with you reading stuff here and going back to post on your own forum how "delusional" Kilkenny people are and having your laugh there. I would have the same criticism of Kilkenny lads who post disrespectfully on other county forums.

In March, I challenged you to predict your All-Ireland winner following your knocking of some posters suggesting Kilkenny. Your answer was the bookies are not looking outside of Limerick, Galway and Cork. You offered no opinion of your own, so nobody could challenge you. Interestingly Galway are gone, didn't even make the All-Ireland series. One of Cork or Limerick at least will be gone before the Final. Anyway, that's a comment on the bookies as you offered no opinion of your own.

I am Kilkenny and I will stick with my prediction that Kilkenny can and will win the All-Ireland. I was wrong about Leinster but only by the puck of a penalty and I was closer than the bookies.

Two questions for YOU.
    1. What county are you?
    2. Who do you predict will win the All-Ireland, bearing in mind you have reduced options than in March?

Straight questions, straight answers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

As others have said well done wexford yesterday to beat both kk teams yesterday was a great achievement and when all is said and done its hard to begrudge them.The crowd and colour they brought up was unreal.
    But a few small things could of won this match for us and pit us in a great position.As said above on another day wexford would of ten wides but yesterday 2 or 3 is a unbelievable return.Some of chins frees were ridiculas.
    Davey infairness had his homework done and really nullified padraig i thought we couldn't get our bigger backs into the game joey,fogarty and i thought morrissey was under huge pressure but have to give wex credit for that.
    I also didnt realise ger had two on the overlap near the end and its already being said bout scruff dropping in them bombs near the end we should of tried pop them over and try squeeze them.
    Delighted for lawlor and mullen these lads will be the future and will learn from this and are big additions from last year
    Most teams are unfortunately more settled than us we do alot of chopping and changing before every match but baffled we couldn't make a few changes earlier while it was awful bringing on hogan with time up.Surely blanchfield or donnelly both with a bit of size and strenght would of being worth a go.Wally agsin wasnt himself and alan murphy didnt work at all.I actually thought Leahy tried very hard and is improving and we're luvky to have mullen.Colin is all in very good form and has being consistent.
    Looks like it'll be cork sunday week in thurles its going to be a huge ask i think.huge pace in attack will cause us big problems but i know we can probably also get at their defence.They will let us hurl 15 v 15 is the only thing.
    Big week now for our u20s hopefully they get a win against galway.We look to have a few good fowards thankfully at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Disappointing loss yesterday, incredibly tight but think Wexford were full value for their win. Their big men stood up at the right times, in the last few minutes they followed scores with big catches and were cool under pressure.

Our decision making down the stretch was very poor, think the swirling wind spooked us into dropping frees in but Ger Aylward went for a goal when he should have tapped it over and went for point later when should have handpassed to two options who were in for goal. Unusual that TJ and Eoin Murphy were spooked.We were starting to get going before half time and thought we should have been about 4 ahead instead of one and we really never hurled in the second half.

Thought Wexford crowded the middle of the field in half forward line and then broke to space which left Rory O Connor chances to pick off scores and Enda Morrissey didn't have the pace for it. This tactic took Padraig out of the game as when it dropped to middle he was crowded and he couldn't cover the space out wide. I would have put Padraig on Rory O Connor, deegan as sweeper and brought in Cleere for Morrisey to go on chin, chin was going way out the field so think Cleere would have managed him. Chin was more pulling strings than destroying us with scores.

Lawlor and Mullen were very good and have been huge find for us this year. Thought Richie Leahy hurled fairly well but thought we were ordinary besides glimpses of class from TJ.

Wexford are truly horrible to play against, a game against them is totally different to playing anyone else. Everytime you score they go down injured and they are very clever at cynical fouling. Nothing wrong with it, it is very clever and it works, they have the ability to drag you into a dog fight and play on their terms.

That being said I think Cork will suit us better, whether we beat them is a lottery however but feel we will be better than yesterday. Cody has chopped and changed far too much the last few years, we need consistency in selection and show trust and confidence in a few of the players who have been a touch inconsistent.

Another weakness we have is getting match ups right, we will need a plan for horgan the next day now. It will be vital to nullify him, we will also need to find a few goals from somewhere.

Overall disappointing but a good performance in the quarters and a semi final appearance would probably signify where we are at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Disappointing loss yesterday, incredibly tight but think Wexford were full value for their win. Their big men stood up at the right times, in the last few minutes they followed scores with big catches and were cool under pressure.

Our decision making down the stretch was very poor, think the swirling wind spooked us into dropping frees in but Ger Aylward went for a goal when he should have tapped it over and went for point later when should have handpassed to two options who were in for goal. Unusual that TJ and Eoin Murphy were spooked.We were starting to get going before half time and thought we should have been about 4 ahead instead of one and we really never hurled in the second half.

Thought Wexford crowded the middle of the field in half forward line and then broke to space which left Rory O Connor chances to pick off scores and Enda Morrissey didn't have the pace for it. This tactic took Padraig out of the game as when it dropped to middle he was crowded and he couldn't cover the space out wide. I would have put Padraig on Rory O Connor, deegan as sweeper and brought in Cleere for Morrisey to go on chin, chin was going way out the field so think Cleere would have managed him. Chin was more pulling strings than destroying us with scores.

Lawlor and Mullen were very good and have been huge find for us this year. Thought Richie Leahy hurled fairly well but thought we were ordinary besides glimpses of class from TJ.

Wexford are truly horrible to play against, a game against them is totally different to playing anyone else. Everytime you score they go down injured and they are very clever at cynical fouling. Nothing wrong with it, it is very clever and it works, they have the ability to drag you into a dog fight and play on their terms.

That being said I think Cork will suit us better, whether we beat them is a lottery however but feel we will be better than yesterday. Cody has chopped and changed far too much the last few years, we need consistency in selection and show trust and confidence in a few of the players who have been a touch inconsistent.

Another weakness we have is getting match ups right, we will need a plan for horgan the next day now. It will be vital to nullify him, we will also need to find a few goals from somewhere.

Overall disappointing but a good performance in the quarters and a semi final appearance would probably signify where we are at.

Davy's teams are the worst in the game for this, you'd think that at this stage officials would have copped on to the helmet strap needs adjusting/contact lenses trick

• Registered Users Posts: 14 takeyourpoint

Congratulations to Wexford on their win yesterday fully deserved.
    Amazing really that with all the bad decisions the players made on the pitch and the bad decisions made by management from the sideline that there was only a puck of the ball between us. Hopefully the same mistakes wont be made against Cork in two weeks time. Lawlor and Mullen were great. Big game for the u20s on Thursday and while they have a great supply of forwards - I think Galway will be looking at a few weaknesses in the kilkenny backs.

Amazing really that with all the bad decisions the players made on the pitch and the bad decisions made by management from the sideline that there was only a puck of the ball between us. Hopefully the same mistakes wont be made against Cork in two weeks time. Lawlor and Mullen were great. Big game for the u20s on Thursday and while they have a great supply of forwards - I think Galway will be looking at a few weaknesses in the kilkenny backs.

Agree the backs looked a bit dodgy at tmes but we do look to have good fowards we really need a lift thursday night after a poor day out yesterday.eoin cody looks to be another unbelievable talent whatever they have in the water down there.If colin was to give next year another go we could have the 4 shamrocks lads in the fowards.Its prob ably to late for him this year.
    We will need pace in our defence against cork and bringing back delaney after a long lay off will be a big ask likewise buckley who wasn't even fit enough to come on yesterday.I wouldnt mind putting browne in But the cork match will be completly different and harnedy,horgan lehane etc will cause us big problems.
    Obviously after every defeat lads want to rip up the script completely but we can't do that we do have some very good players but like I said earlier in the year we definitley needed a modern coach to work with movements in our fowards.I also thought colin had to work very hard yesterday for a free its just a pity we couldnt get enough good ball into him i felt sorry for him.
    I just hope we can dust ourselves down now and try give the cork match a right rattle i wouldnt be overly confident .

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Fair play and congrats to Wexford deserved the win in the end they got great scores, few wides, big Catches and plenty of blocks. However we really could have won that game terrible decision making. Tj passing that free to Colin was ridiculous the goal wasn’t on best case scenario was a peno. Wexford went up and got a point then. The free against Paudie Walsh for over-carrying was a bad call by the ref and chin put that over too. If we took our free and got that Bitta luck we could have gone in at HT more up but once again we’re talking about the small margins, we have to start winning these games again.

Huw Lawor outstanding, tj, Colin Mullen and leahy all hurled well especially Adrian. Solving our full back problem is great but padraig hasn’t found his consistency out the pitch yet, great one week out of it the next. I don’t know who we could have put on O’connor But morreisy couldn’t cope at all Rory should have had the ball in hand on more occasions. Walter didn’t look right but he couldn’t win a free either and that pull on Mullen was surely a free even if accidental. Colin has to move more he’s in good form and everytime he gets the ball in hand we get something so we need him on it as much as possible and we need to support him. James Maher was ok he took a pop shot inde second half when he could have popped it inside to leahy and we were in then but we have to do better. We went for goals way to early we messed up at least 3 attacks for going goal when we were only 3 down tap em over, unlike us to panic when coming back.

Fitzgibbon will be licking his lips after seeing what O’Connor did to us, Horgan in great form, pacey nippy corner forwards will really test us. Cork will put up a good score I feel and we’ll obviously have to do the same they’ll let us hurl but our forwards need to be flying cuz our backs will be struggling. Blanchfield and Donnolly surely ahead of Ger in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Moosey15

Agree with most Wexford well worth their win but anyone agree that every game we play for as long as I can remember you can expect some outrageous and downright wrong refereeing decisions,those two frees against padraig and tj and stopping play to make a substitution in added time ,wtf ?,it also seems that the arm around neck is permitted on Kilkenny players only .Of course it might come across as whinging because we were beaten but the same rules should apply to everyone, even O Grady on tv couldn’t believe some of the decisions and that’s saying something given his “love “for the stripey men ....there’s a definite attitude out there that we have “won enough “down the years so we should just get on and put up with this type of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

A kick of the ball more likely. It was amazing to see colin managing to get the ball in a scrum on the square with practically the whole Wexford team back,dropping it and got his boot to it, and it dribbled inches wide. It was closer than we could see from the Hill, and Wexford survived.

Also, from our vantage a ball which went over for a point for Kilkenny (I think about the middle of the 2nd half) was waved wide by the umpire.

Another incident when the ball was coming in and the full back Ryan was isolated, he hung out of Colin for practically 20/30 seconds and completely ignored by the referee and the umpires.

Was it 11 wides to Kilkenny and 3 to Wexford?

Even though Wexford appeared to be hurling and moving far better than Kilkenny, how they managed to survive without been beaten was possibly a tribute to their spirit, but all these are if's and but's and I would in no way begrudge Wexford their win, and they will represent Leinster hurling well I think.

However, Kilkenny are still in, and when the balance is got right, they are hard to beat as they never give up.

Expect Delaney, Cleere, Hogan, Blanchfield, Donnelly to feature in the next match - they all need a proper run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Meant alot to us yellowbellies but a nice photo for everyone to appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

Hi all,

I think the time has come for Cody to step down this year. He has been there since November 1998 and he has been a fantastic manager with so much success that it will never be surpassed by anyone. He has nothing left to prove or win.

However he has gone stale, the team have no direction, no leaders, no plan A or B. The game of hurling has moved on but unfortunately we have not moved on in Kilkenny.

Their are serious flaws in schools hurling, in U-13 leagues, U-15 and U-17 hurling leagues with not enough games or proper coaching for players, our Development Squads are not fit for purpose for the past 8-10 years, our minors have not been up to it since 2014.
    We won minor in 2014 and not one of that team started yesterday, but 4 of the Limerick Team that day started v Tipperary yesterday. Brian Cody just does not give enough young players the chance and this is holding us back.

Our U-21, now U-20 have not won an All Ireland since 2008. These U-21 teams have been surpassed by Wexford, Galway, Clare, Limerick and Tipperary in the past 11 years. Our teams have been physically out muscled and out played in all these U-21 games and this has fed into the senior teams since 2015.

I hate saying this but we are heading down the road of Cork of not winning anything for a long time.

We dont hear of any great underage hurlers coming through like DJ, Adrian Ronan, Charlie Carter, Philly Larkin, Tommy Walsh, Henry Shefflin, Cha Fitzpatrick, Richie Hogan, Richie Power and that is proof that something needs to change in Kilkenny hurling.

Cody needs to go and the so called Kilkenny pundits need to be like Joe Brolly and Pat Spillane and call it as it is.

Kilkenny needs a complete overhaul from Top to bottom.

We need to move on.
    Concerned Kilkenny hurling die hard.

Eddie Carey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What a 1st post !!!

Is that you Cha ?? :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Village87

Few points I noted about yesterday.

Lads blaming Ger Aylward for going for a score, he got a 65 and a point out of it, Fogarty had a much easier chance with 4 minutes left to tap over and put us 2 behind. He was 25 yards out on his own and gave a stupid ball across and made a hero out of Liam Ryan. If that goes over it causes panic for Wexford

Wally Walsh messed up his touch for a great goal chance goal. Would have been massive. In the same passage we won a fee and TJ fouled it by going short. Resulting free Padraig Walsh caught it and got done for steps. I believe that was the changing of the match.

Only option Kilkenny had for short puck outs were Paul Murphy. Obviously a strategy planned by Wexford. Murphy is very poor in possession.

Paddy Deegan was given a man marking job on Chin. This played into Wexford hands. Chin ran all over the field creating space in the Wexford forwards for Rory o Connor and Conor MC. Deegan offered nothing in that role.

Lads saying here Kilkenny are unlucky missing a few are deluded. Hogan and Cody don’t get on, antics on the line last 2 matches disgraceful. Buckley is in serious bother injury wise.

Paul Murphy, Joey , Fogarty, Deegan, Alan Murphy and Enda Morrissey are very poor.

Kilkenny this year have beaten Carlow and Dublin, drew and lost to Wexford and lost to Galway. Take TJ out Laois would come within 3 points of Killenny

JohnCougar wrote: »
    Hi all,

I think the time has come for Cody to step down this year. He has been there since November 1998 and he has been a fantastic manager with so much success that it will never be surpassed by anyone. He has nothing left to prove or win.

However he has gone stale, the team have no direction, no leaders, no plan A or B. The game of hurling has moved on but unfortunately we have not moved on in Kilkenny.

Their are serious flaws in schools hurling, in U-13 leagues, U-15 and U-17 hurling leagues with not enough games or proper coaching for players, our Development Squads are not fit for purpose for the past 8-10 years, our minors have not been up to it since 2014.
    We won minor in 2014 and not one of that team started yesterday, but 4 of the Limerick Team that day started v Tipperary yesterday. Brian Cody just does not give enough young players the chance and this is holding us back.

Our U-21, now U-20 have not won an All Ireland since 2008. These U-21 teams have been surpassed by Wexford, Galway, Clare, Limerick and Tipperary in the past 11 years. Our teams have been physically out muscled and out played in all these U-21 games and this has fed into the senior teams since 2015.

I hate saying this but we are heading down the road of Cork of not winning anything for a long time.

We dont hear of any great underage hurlers coming through like DJ, Adrian Ronan, Charlie Carter, Philly Larkin, Tommy Walsh, Henry Shefflin, Cha Fitzpatrick, Richie Hogan, Richie Power and that is proof that something needs to change in Kilkenny hurling.

Cody needs to go and the so called Kilkenny pundits need to be like Joe Brolly and Pat Spillane and call it as it is.

Kilkenny needs a complete overhaul from Top to bottom.

We need to move on.
    Concerned Kilkenny hurling die hard.

Eddie Carey

Look as with every defeat theres going to be a reaction and lads looking for change etc but a few things ill say
    I think we should if changed things around in terms of selectors i fully think we need a modern coach in not sure who exactly but someone like James Meagher of freshford springs to mind or tom mullally.There's no secret our u21s have being mostly terrible the last ten year especially when u look at the decent minor teams over that time.
    Winning underage doesnt guarantee sucess as its a huge step up but it certainly helps confidence etc.
    I'm of the opinion these things go in cycles anyway underage clare had a savage u21 team for a few years.limerick had it.Galway have very good u21 teams every year but for the last 3 years they've used the very same squad.Tipp have the same team yesterday nearly as 3 years ago so is the answer throw in 15 lads not physical enough cause theyd be blown away yesterday.
    When i was growing up 20 years ago we all knew tj was coming or hogan was coming i think the only lad in that bracket now is mullen we knew a few years ago this lad had the x factor but i dont care i go to alot of club matches and I've seen enough of lads like bolger or walsh should of being brought in and given a proper go cause it was obvious over the last few years we're really missing scoring fowards.
    I wouldn't rip the whole script up after 1 defeat this rebuild is going to take time and we'll have to take the good with the bad we have to accept where we are.
    As I said a modern coach and a proper game plan we cam be a match for anyone.We done well to get to a final yesterday with all injuries we had up yo this.We reslly needed everyone fit and infairness we have being unlucky in matches we've lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

James Meagher lives in Clare now and is involved with their minor team who Kilkenny are playing next having lost yesterday.

James Meagher lives in Clare now and is involved with their minor team who Kilkenny are playing next having lost yesterday.

I know that I was just using him as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Village87 wrote: »
    Few points I noted about yesterday.

Lads blaming Ger Aylward for going for a score, he got a 65 and a point out of it, Fogarty had a much easier chance with 4 minutes left to tap over and put us 2 behind. He was 25 yards out on his own and gave a stupid ball across and made a hero out of Liam Ryan. If that goes over it causes panic for Wexford

Wally Walsh messed up his touch for a great goal chance goal. Would have been massive. In the same passage we won a fee and TJ fouled it by going short. Resulting free Padraig Walsh caught it and got done for steps. I believe that was the changing of the match.

Only option Kilkenny had for short puck outs were Paul Murphy. Obviously a strategy planned by Wexford. Murphy is very poor in possession.

Paddy Deegan was given a man marking job on Chin. This played into Wexford hands. Chin ran all over the field creating space in the Wexford forwards for Rory o Connor and Conor MC. Deegan offered nothing in that role.

Lads saying here Kilkenny are unlucky missing a few are deluded. Hogan and Cody don’t get on, antics on the line last 2 matches disgraceful. Buckley is in serious bother injury wise.

Paul Murphy, Joey , Fogarty, Deegan, Alan Murphy and Enda Morrissey are very poor.

Kilkenny this year have beaten Carlow and Dublin, drew and lost to Wexford and lost to Galway. Take TJ out Laois would come within 3 points of Killenny

Play Ger Aylward at full forward and bring Colin out to centre forward - think outside the box - Basically, Ger can make a nuisance of himself and create a bit of mischief and he won't be bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Play Ger Aylward at full forward and bring Colin out to centre forward - think outside the box - Basically, Ger can make a nuisance of himself and create a bit of mischief and he won't be bullied.

Agree with Colin but play Donnelly, Blanchfield, Hogan Ryan anyone but Alyward at full forward

We have seen a bit of donnelly but we have hardly seen Blanchfield all year which seems strange. Think we could do with his power at centre forward even, unfortunately he is type that would need a few games to get a run.

Seen Darren Mullen is still on the panel, surprised we haven't seen him on the 26. Love to see him get a run corner back.

I feel like we could do with a few more powerful runners from midfield/half forward line. The kind of guy who can stand you up and take you on seems to be missing. Wouldn't be Deegans game but when he did put the head down yesterday he ran 70 metres after breaking a tackle and Tj scored off it, we need lads to be brave and be comfortable and do this as well.

Walter is definitely struggling with injury as he is not able to make those imposing runs, hopefully he will recover in time for Cork.

We have the hurlers if we get can get the balance, work on the system and get a consistent team.

The balls yesterday were all fairly straight to Colin which meant it was easy for Ryan to catch and foul him, gave him a diagonal and Colin is gone, we have the hurlers to do this but our movement doesn't create the space. We need to isolate Colin against Cadogan and we will need Colin to take him on more, he is fouled relentlessly but we need him to punish teams more. Now we have found Mullen if we can get him playing off Colin we should be dangerous, it is a case of getting them supply and lads also breaking the lines to create overlaps.

Its all simple things, nothing earth shattering, but the positive for us is a couple of the young guys have stood up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Davy's teams are the worst in the game for this, you'd think that at this stage officials would have copped on to the helmet strap needs adjusting/contact lenses trick

Just on Dee O'Keeffe going down. In the passage of play before that his helmet was grabbed along the sideline, and while the ref spotted the foul, he played advantage as O'Keeffe scored. Not every stoppage is as cut and dry as being deliberate.

By the way, Lawlor looks to be a serious talent. Mac may have scored four from play yesterday but Lawlor had the measure of him otherwise.

• Advertisement

Just on Dee O'Keeffe going down. In the passage of play before that his helmet was grabbed along the sideline, and while the ref spotted the foul, he played advantage as O'Keeffe scored. Not every stoppage is as cut and dry as being deliberate.

By the way, Lawlor looks to be a serious talent. Mac may have scored four from play yesterday but Lawlor had the measure of him otherwise.

It was systematic in the second half though, it happened after 4 or 5 of Kilkennys scores, it is clever and breaks a teams momentum. Wexford deserved the win yesterday but if the game gets away from them and they are chasing this tactic won't help. The more they are at the top table the more refs will be wise to it. There is a balance between gamemanship and concentrating on winning the game and Wexford got it right yesterday, made it frustrating for us when we were trying to get going but that is sport.

All that said Davy has instilled composure, steel, aggression to Wexford allied with great athletes, powerful men and the likes of Rory O Connor who is class. There is also a touch of cynicism, nothing wrong with it at all. We had it through our great years, maybe not the time wasting but we were streetwise. The time wasting works when you are an in a tight battle but if you want to be a top dog it won't work forever. It worked yesterday and the Wexford team and support were incredible. Leinster have missed wexford and it is great that they are back. No sourgrapes Wexford were the best team on the day and we are looking at what we can do better not making excuses.

And agree on Lawlor he is some talent, thought he won all the 50 50s but Wexford worked a few overlaps for MacDonald who was top class given the chance. Look forward to a few more battles between those two.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement