Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Kilkenny and tipp lost their finals today........times are a changing.......

Tipp will still be in the final, kk should have put wexford away two weeks ago but couldn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not good enough today. It's rare to see a Kilkenny team to take wrong option on so many occasions.

Or be forced into it, great pressure applied by Wexford throughout. Previous Kilkenny teams managed it though to be fair.
    Fair play to Huw lawlor despite Kilkenny not being good enough on the day he was outstanding.

Was caught in a few 1 on 1 situations and did very well indeed, thought he was the standout defender.

Hopefully, Cork and Kilkenny will get to play each other. I always looked foward to playing ye, this year I would be marginally confident of a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

BloodyBill wrote: »
    That Kilkenny team wont be in any All Ireland final in 2019. Your short too many players. The old adage stands..you're as good as your worst player.The likes of Joey Holden wouldn't get on any squad left in the championship. How many more times is Ger Awylward going to be tried.? He misses too much and how greedy was he today...could have played Fennelly in for a goal and 100%chose not to. Hes an average player that thinks hes great...a terrible situation.

As long as we are still standing there is always hope and anyway all we have to do is beat Cork for the moment after that we can worry about everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Not a bad scenario at all [ having to beat Cork, Limerick and then Tipp in the final  ] and you never know a fit Delaney & Buckley with a few other tweeks here and there anything is possible.

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking... not a bad scenario at all for Kilkenny??

Tipp have a much easier route to the all ireland final after today... beat winners of Dublin/Laois and then Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

BloodyBill wrote: »
    That Kilkenny team wont be in any All Ireland final in 2019. Your short too many players. The old adage stands..you're as good as your worst player.The likes of Joey Holden wouldn't get on any squad left in the championship. How many more times is Ger Awylward going to be tried.? He misses too much and how greedy was he today...could have played Fennelly in for a goal and 100%chose not to. Hes an average player that thinks hes great...a terrible situation.

Disagree with you on Joey Holden I don't think he deserves the criticism he gets.

Ger on the other hand. I'm not sure how he keeps getting chances especially with Hogan, Blanch and Donnelly on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Rebelside

Topcat32 wrote: »
    You managed to get the right post in the end, good man.

Ya thats important when making a key point. Im sure ya got it good man

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Rebelside wrote: »
    Ya thats important when making a key point. Im sure ya got it good man

I didn't consider it a key point at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Deskjockey wrote: »
    I'll have some of whatever you're smoking... not a bad scenario at all for Kilkenny??

Tipp have a much easier route to the all ireland final after today... beat winners of Dublin/Laois and then Wexford
    one game at a time,dont agree wexford were the better team.penalty the only difference.we need to have everyone available in 2 weeks and we certaintly still beat anyone on any given day.like to see richie start and see whether he still has it.I know murphy as a corner forward doesnt have it.maher should really come on for the game and all is not lost.

me89 wrote: »
    Disagree with you on Joey Holden I don't think he deserves the criticism he gets.

Ger on the other hand. I'm not sure how he keeps getting chances especially with Hogan, Blanch and Donnelly on the bench

Ger had a decent league and did score a point today, unlike Alan Murphy who is not inter county standard in my opinion he does get on a lot of ball even if his use of it over the last few years has been very poor.

Really surprised that Enda Morrissey wasn't taken off, he is just too light at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭usualstripes

So we need to beat cork on 2 weeks, beat limerick in the semi final and tipp in final. Hold on to yere hats. As daunting as that seems a good win v cork will set the lads on the road bu5 we need more support for Colin Fennelly. Alan murphy or Walter created very little today. Would like to see richie hogan start v cork where Alan murphy started today. Also want to see Buckley in place of Morrissey. Have to go for it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭usualstripes

So we need to beat cork on 2 weeks, beat limerick in the semi final and tipp in final. Hold on to yere hats. As daunting as that seems a good win v cork will set the lads on the road bu5 we need more support for Colin Fennelly. Alan murphy or Walter created very little today. Would like to see richie hogan start v cork where Alan murphy started today. Also want to see Buckley in place of Morrissey. Have to go for it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

dubcat51 wrote: »

we certaintly still beat anyone on any given day.

Which "given day" would that be? Kilkenny have won just 4 of their last 13 championship games if you exclude teams that were just about to depart for the Joe MacDonagh cup. Kilkenny have lost their last championship game against Galway, Tipperary, Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Wexford and Limerick. It is a very modest record and does not suggest a team that could take out anyone on a given day.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Which "given day" would that be? Kilkenny have won just 4 of their last 13 championship games if you exclude teams that were just about to depart for the Joe MacDonagh cup. Kilkenny have lost their last championship game against Galway, Tipperary, Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Wexford and Limerick. It is a very modest record and does not suggest a team that could take out anyone on a given day.

Makes for grim reading but to give more balance some of those defeats were by very small margins. Obviously the standard of the team has dropped but I'd be confident that we can give Cork a good game, even if they will be the justifiable favourites to win.

Makes for grim reading but to give more balance some of those defeats were by very small margins. Obviously the standard of the team has dropped but I'd be confident that we can give Cork a good game, even if they will be the justifiable favourites to win.

Absolutely. Those statistics hide a lot of tough battles. They have character seeping out through their pores. But anyone talking about an All Ireland this year (or probably anytime in the recent future) is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Very valid point , Kilkenny can not buy a win at the moment against a half decent team, our decision making and lack of composure is a major worry, going for goals in the last five mins was crazy,
    Wexford had shut up shop and invited us on to them and we kept looking for goals in a crowded box , can't see them beating cork ,

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

As I said the last time not enough movement. People keep saying congestion and the like but its a combination of our forwards not anywhere even close to making the required amount of running to create space and options along with poor execution of a 30 -50 yard pass. Sitting behind defenders praying for a mistake wont do at any level. Management really poor today and that must be said, if things arent working you have to make changes otherwise you are not giving a team the full potential to win. Congrats to Wexford today it was a long time coming and there underage success is starting to show now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

A record contributed by a slew of very serious injuries over the past two seasons. Kilkenny with a fit Delaney, Buckley & Hogan and allowing for the fact that other Kilkenny players are not long back from serious injuries another two weeks just very well may and i say may make a big big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Very disappointed to night its hard to see how a wing back was left on and giving the pasting he got when players like Jason cleere, Tommy Walsh and others left on the side line. The last two years we have been runners up minor senior two years on the trot that says its own story.We are going to stay stagnant if serious moves are not made we probably be playing Cork in two weeks time we will say good bye to the championship that day couldn't see anything else unless the whole set up moves with the times. Well done Wexford no complaints from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

fair point but alot of those losses were very close.A fully fit squad and I for 1 still believe we can reach the final.management need to find scoring forwards with the ballyhale trio.have to get the selection right.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Close defeats regardless of injury's are useless , until this team win one of these close match's the jury is still out,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭davidx40

When i here people talk about a fully fit Ritchie Hogan it drives me nuts .....Ritchie hasnt being fit in 3 years hes had 3 discs fused in his back ......ye were still not at the races when it comes to movement up front were years behind .....some poor decisions cost us today would Henry have tapped that free over to.put us 3 up ..you bet he would ......i do think were getting absolute maxium out of what we have ....i thought Mullen was imense today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

davidx40 wrote: »
    When i here people talk about a fully fit Ritchie Hogan it drives me nuts .....Ritchie hasnt being fit in 3 years hes had 3 discs fused in his back ......ye were still not at the races when it comes to movement up front were years behind .....some poor decisions cost us today would Henry have tapped that free over to.put us 3 up ..you bet he would ......i do think were getting absolute maxium out of what we have ....i thought Mullen was imense today

The four year famine is taking its toll.......corks famine looks like it will extend to 14 years this season......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Everything went right fir Wexford , that could close their eyes and the ball would go over the bar . It won’t be like that everyday.

We’re just sort top class players but there were enough positives today, by some performances to be positive enough .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Philip82 wrote: »
    Congrats to Wexford today it was a long time coming and there underage success is starting to show now.

What underage success would that be?

Stats are great when you decide to exclude things that don't suit you. Would your bookie do that with his stats.

Should everyone exclude Waterford results given that they had the worst record of the tier 1 teams only the rules save them.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Stats are great when you decide to exclude things that don't suit you. Would your bookie do that with his stats.

Should everyone exclude Waterford results given that they had the worst record of the tier 1 teams only the rules save them.

My bookie would indeed do that with stats. He would definitively exclude Kilkenny's win over Carlow and Offaly when assessing their chances against a real tier 1 team like Cork as all teams beat them. Not on the basis of them "not suiting him", more because they are irrelevant. (He's there to make money, the capitalist pig.........not to survive on the glories of winning an imagined row with an anonymous person on the internet) Would you not exclude irrelevant material?

There is no argument for excluding Waterford in Kilkenny's case since they actually beat Kilkenny last time they met. It's with the other counties Waterford appear to have the problem.

I excluded your reply as irrelevant.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    What underage success would that be?

He might be referencing the Leinster under-21 titles of 2013/14/15, their first in just over a decade. In the third final they beat Kilkenny by 16 points. Kilkenny have just two Leinster under-21 titles in the last 10 years. It is not odd to imply a link between the two.

He might be referencing the Leinster under-21 titles of 2013/14/15, their first in just over a decade. In the third final they beat Kilkenny by 16 points. Kilkenny have just two Leinster under-21 titles in the last 10 years. It is not odd to imply a link between the two.

Are you the same poster now?
    Under 21 is considered underage not adult where you come from?. It would nice for him to articulate wouldn't it?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Rebelside

I didn't consider it a key point at all really.

But ya sure got it!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement