Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Robinson jailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

and the first 4 months of that 13 months were a previous 4 months suspended sentence that was activated when he offended again. Dont depend on an individual newspaper report to tell you everything.

I believe 9 months is still too long for this.

Compare it to the sentences given for other crimes.

I'm not defending Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I believe 9 months is still too long for this.

Compare it to the sentences given for other crimes.

I'm not defending Tommy.

what sentence would be appropriate for somebody who repeatedly, publicly, breaks the law solely to promote himself and in the process threatens to jeopardise the trials he claims to be so concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's a lot of talk about Tommy's panorama exposé, can someone give an exact quote about what is so damming about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

That documentary he done is actually worth a watch, panorama was defo gonna be a hatchet job. They approached former employees of his offering money to tell lies about him, make up stories etc. That guy John Sweeney is in gonna be in a series bit of bother, he's on camera getting pissed and using multiple racist and homophobic slurs. Laughing about people paying the TV licence while he pissed 250 quid against the wall in one afternoon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's a lot of talk about Tommy's panorama exposé, can someone give an exact quote about what is so damming about it?

Presumably, it exposes things about Stephen that he and his admirers would rather it didn't. That alone will make it worth watching.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That documentary he done is actually worth a watch, panorama was defo gonna be a hatchet job. They approached former employees of his offering money to tell lies about him, make up stories etc. That guy John Sweeney is in gonna be in a series bit of bother, he's on camera getting pissed and using multiple racist and homophobic slurs. Laughing about people paying the TV licence while he pissed 250 quid against the wall in one afternoon.

So someone went undercover with racists and said racist stuff.

Wow, how dare he.

Grayson wrote: »
    So someone went undercover with racists and said racist stuff.

Wow, how dare he.

He wasn't undercover though , and you dont even know who he spoke to.

Cienciano wrote: »

There is a lot in it, you should watch it if you have a spare hour. I thought it was gonna be a load of crap but it was a lot better than I thought.

what sentence would be appropriate for somebody who repeatedly, publicly, breaks the law solely to promote himself and in the process threatens to jeopardise the trials he claims to be so concerned about?

The trial was already finished. The only thing left was the sentencing.

I don't think you're being fair if you think there wasn't a political angle to his conviction. He is considered dangerous, even though he is just speaking and sharing information.

My angle on all this is I believe in free speech. I think it is vital if we want freedom. That means you should be allowed report on a criminal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Your timeline seems wrong.

The contempt incident occurred in May 2018, but the trials were still ongoing in September 2018.

• Advertisement

I don't think you're being fair if you think there wasn't a political angle to his conviction. He is considered dangerous, even though he is just speaking and sharing information.

My angle on all this is I believe in free speech. I think it is vital if we want freedom. That means you should be allowed report on a criminal case.

THAT trial may have gone to sentencing but there were OTHER linked trials that had not. You seem to have the same deep understanding that tommy does.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do you think he should be able to pick and choose which laws he should follow?

THAT trial may have gone to sentencing but there were OTHER linked trials that had not. You seem to have the same deep understanding that tommy does.

Could be. Not sure why you're being so aggressive though. Do you talk like this in real life? Why can't you remain civil and not get overly emotional? I'm just discussing my attitude to free speech and talking to each other.

Do you think he should be able to pick and choose which laws he should follow?

Yes, obviously I think that. He should be able to choose which laws apply to him. This includes killing people and jaywalking.

Could be. Not sure why you're being so aggressive though. Do you talk like this in real life? Why can't you remain civil and not get overly emotional? I'm just discussing my attitude to free speech and talking to each other.

free speech is not absolute. Free speech has restrictions. One of those is where that speech jeopardises the administration of justice. Tommy thinks he is above all of that. That he should be free to shout whatever he wants on street corners with no consequences to himself. For some reason best known to yourself you agree with him.

free speech is not absolute. Free speech has restrictions. One of those is where that speech jeopardises the administration of justice. Tommy thinks he is above all of that. That he should be free to shout whatever he wants on street corners with no consequences to himself. For some reason best known to yourself you agree with him.

Free speech is absolute. It has no restrictions. It includes things you don't like.

Look at the US for example - the only thing you're not allowed do is a call to violence. For example, "To all my fans, please go to X's home and kill them".

Everything else is fair game, including hate speech.

What you're talking about is not free speech. The UK does not have free speech. I think it should.

Free speech is absolute. It has no restrictions. It includes things you don't like.

Absolutely no restriction. Non at all. Ok.
    Look at the US for example - the only thing you're not allowed do is a call to violence. For example, "To all my fans, please go to X's home and kill them".

Ohh. Except for those restrictions.

ok.....

That's not aggressive. If he had've called you a twat, that would have been dismissing. If he's called you a fcuking twat, that might have been aggressive. But he did neither.

Although the irony of you whinging about free speech and then complaining about someone proving you wrong. Get over yourself.

Absolutely no restriction. Non at all. Ok.

Ohh. Except for those restrictions.

ok.....

Yes, the US does not have free speech, they have almost free speech.

Why are you trying to argue?

That's not aggressive. If he had've called you a twat, that would have been dismissing. If he's called you a fcuking twat, that might have been aggressive. But he did neither.

Although the irony of you whinging about free speech and then complaining about someone proving you wrong. Get over yourself.

Free speech doesn't mean you can't complain about things.

It also doesn't mean speech has no consequences.

It is rather silly to think someone who believes in free speech is not allowed comment on someone being aggressive.

What you're saying doesn't even make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So wants Hate Speech as an absolute?

Winges and accuses someone of talking emotionally?

Have I that right?

That's enough of the internet for me today.

Fook that.

Boggles wrote: »
    So wants Hate Speech as an absolute?

Winges and accuses someone of talking emotionally?

Have I that right?

That's enough of the internet for me today.

Fook that.

I've no idea what you're talking about.

This is wrong and just conveys a lack of understanding. So far wrong that i think it justifies my earlier attitude to you.

Again this is very wrong.

What you're talking about is not free speech. The UK does not have free speech. I think it should.

It has the same free speech as any other democratic country.

This is wrong and just conveys a lack of understanding. So far wrong that i think it justifies my earlier attitude to you.

Again this is very wrong.

It has the same free speech as any other democratic country.

You don't understand what free speech is.

The UK does not have free speech.

Not all democratic countries have the same levels of restrictions.

The UK and Germany, for example, have difference laws on which speech is and is not allowed.

If you're going to be one of those people on the internet who can't admit they're wrong, and want to argue with strangers, I have no interest in that.

Ah I knew I recognised your username (ohnonotgmail). You don't think antifa are doing anything wrong. You have extreme left political views. I'm checking out of this conversation with you right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can I get a source please?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You don't understand what free speech is.

Not all democratic countries have the same levels of restrictions.

The UK and Germany, for example, have difference laws on which speech is and is not allowed.

If you're going to be one of those people on the internet who can't admit they're wrong, and want to argue with strangers, I have no interest in that.

No, i understand perfectly what free speech is. and it is not absolute. Anywhere. If tommy had done the same thing in germany he would have faced the same consequences.

Can I get a source please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country#United_Kingdom

It includes restrictions on things which could be deemed offensive or indecent.

That alone is anti-free speech, as what the hell is the definition of offensive or indecent?

Ah I knew I recognised your username (ohnonotgmail). You don't think antifa are doing anything wrong. You have extreme left political views. I'm checking out of this conversation with you right now.

Well clearly you dont know me as i do not have extreme left political views. The problem with you, and others here, is that if you dont completely agree with a gob****e like tommy you must be left wing. The reason i dont agree with anything that tommy does is not because i am left wing it is because i am not a complete ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yes, obviously I think that. He should be able to choose which laws apply to him. This includes killing people and jaywalking.

Well you did say
    A judge decided no media should be allowed report on a Muslim gang who had been raping children for decades.

Tommy disagreed with this, so he filmed outside the court, after the criminals had already been convicted for their crimes.

This was illegal (as the judge had banned media covering the case), but Tommy felt the public had a right to know about these pedophile gangs.

He was arrested for the filming, and sentenced to 13 months in prison.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone getting 13 months in prison for contempt of court.

That's the gist of it.

Regardless of your opinion on Tommy, a reasonable person should be able to see this is the court system being draconian.

You admit that he broke the law, what is your issue with him being convicted?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement