Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Robinson jailed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

The same reason you have people participating in multi-level marketing scams.

I have w great product you can sell for double what I charge you, but if you get others to sell it, i will give you treble!

Does being pro la make one antifa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Yeah, well that's your problem, and says nothing about me.

Do you ask people for proof in real life? Why are you doing it online? Why do you find it difficult to be civil?

Not asking for proof is what makes people followers of Alex Jones. Who needs proof or anything at all to back up that the parents of dead children were actors, making it all up? Alex Jones said it so it must be true.

Perhaps you could link to one such HIV-related article that you are talking about as nonsense, and detail the reasons as to why it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not asking for proof is what makes people followers of Alex Jones. Who needs proof or anything at all to back up that the parents of dead children were actors, making it all up? Alex Jones said it so it must be true.

Perhaps you could link to one such HIV-related article that you are talking about as nonsense, and detail the reasons as to why it is.

No thanks.

No thanks.
    But if you're an expert on the matter and that example is what came to the forefront of your mind, I am sure you know some off hand to refer to?

If you make a claim like that, you need to back it up in some way. I could claim that my ex girlfriend was from Washington D.C. with her parents working for the CIA and in private intelligence, and thus was privvy to a few details on the whole Russia thing going on there ahead of the news. But if I could not back it up in any way whatsoever, I would not expect to be believed on it... even if it were true.

• Advertisement

The reluctant expert

But if you're an expert on the matter and that example is what came to the forefront of your mind, I am sure you know some off hand to refer to?

If you make a claim like that, you need to back it up in some way. I could claim that my ex girlfriend was from Washington D.C. with her parents working for the CIA and in private intelligence, and thus was privvy to a few details on the whole Russia thing going on there ahead of time. But if I could not back it up in any way whatsoever, I would not expect to be believed on it, even if it were true.

You see, this is where you're confused. I don't care if you believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,608 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do you ever notice if you're an expert in a topic, whenever you read an article about that topic on mainstream news source (e.g. the BBC), you're always scratching your head thinking what is this nonsense?

For example, I'm a HIV expert and practically every article on HIV is wrong. It's always a mix of misinformation and old wives tales. I've also a strong background is statistics, and I constantly see statistics being abused to make fake points.

That is a fairly serious allegation, the BBC are spreading mixed, misinformation and lies about a disease.

If one is going to make that claim they would want to provide proof.

Shouldn't be hard for an expert to link to a web page and break it down for us?

You see, this is where you're confused. I don't care if you believe it or not.
    For someone who doesn't care, you do keep responding to others a lot on the matter.

Whether you care or not is irrelevant though, when it comes to others treating you or your claims in any way seriously.

Yes, you're hassling a stranger online to prove their education and qualifications.

Do you do this in real life?

Why are you doing it online?

Can you really not see the problem here?

Jaysus what ever happened to the absolute freedom of speech you have been banging on about? :pac:

He is only asking you a couple of obvious questions?

• Advertisement

For someone who doesn't care, you do keep responding to others a lot on the matter.

Whether you care or not is irrelevant though, when it comes to others treating you or your claims in any way seriously.

I'm responding because I'm polite, and I'm waiting for a flight and have nothing to do.

Again, I don't care what you believe, or what you think of me. So go ahead and think whatever.

I'm responding because I'm polite, and I'm waiting for a flight and have nothing to do.

Sure why don't you look for that BBC link that is lying about HIV?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

lbc2019 wrote: »
    The reluctant expert

Just wondering what account were you posting under before you re-registered last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Again, I don't care what you believe, or what you think of me. So go ahead and think whatever.

I'd ignore the boys in here, if you have a different opinion from them, they will round on you and frustrate until you post something attacking them and then they will all hit the report button and you'll end up with a ban!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just wondering what account were you posting under before you re-registered last month?

Mod- That is none of yours or anyone else's business.

I'd ignore the boys in here, if you have a different opinion from them, they will round on you and frustrate until you post something attacking them and then they will all hit the report button and you'll end up with a ban!

They don't bother me at all.

I was dragged to a boards event once, and the people there were an eye opener.

I had actually never met people like that before.

So I just assume the people replying are either young or are struggling somewhat.

If I wasn't aware of this, I'd probably be harsher.

I would prefer though if people talked online the way they talk offline.

I'm the exact same offline. :)

Hey while you're here what's your thoughts on Tommy being utterly silent on all the pedophiles that keep popping up in the same EDL he created? Do you think that he, as someone who has a lot of contacts to and knowledge of the EDL, should investigate it more than he has, or not?

I would prefer though if people talked online the way they talk offline.

If one of my friends or a stranger for that matter told me in person that the BBC were spreading misinformation and lies about a disease, I'd would definitely ask for proof.

So could I have proof please?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No one can be an expert without explaining their qualifications to you?

Do you have a slight ego by any chance?

Trump university degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Hey while you're here what's your thoughts on Tommy being utterly silent on all the pedophiles that keep popping up in the same EDL he created? Do you think that he, as someone who has a lot of contacts to and knowledge of the EDL, should investigate it more than he has, or not?

You mean same edl hes no longer part of ? That one ?

Have you even looked into the good he has done ?

Raised thousands for kids and people in need

• Advertisement

Lolz the Jimmy Savile defense. :D

You seem reluctant to answer. It's the same EDL he founded, and the same one he would have an awful lot of knowledge of, both in it's structure and many of the members that have been in it.

Do you think he should do something about this and investigate, or keep quiet as he has done (which I guess is better than defending the EDL pedophiles, which wash is initial stance) as little children continue to be abused?

I mean that is what this is about right... children being abused? It's got nothing to do with using abused children as a political football and stick to beat minorities, correct? All children should be protected, regardless of whom the abusers are wouldn't you agree? If this is the case, then you should be upset about Tommy's silence on his old EDL buddies molesting and raping little children.

YOu seem reluctant to answer. It's the same EDL he founded, and the same one he would have an awful lot of knowledge of, both in it's structure and many of the members that have been in it.

Do you think he should do something about this and investigate, or keep quiet as he has done (which I guess is better than defending the EDL pedophiles, which wash is initial stance) as little children continue to be abused?

You misunderstand what Tommy is.

He's not a centrist who reports on problems in an unbiased, fact-based way.

His focus is on Muslims who refuse to integrate or respect local laws.

He's not totally wrong - in the UK there really is a problem with a certain percentage of Muslims causing chaos, supporting suicide bombings, etc.

But most Muslims are decent and just want to get by, the same as you and me.

So if you think he's an unbiased journalist reporting the facts about all issues, you are mistaken.

There's nothing wrong with being focused on one or two topics. But people who listen to him need to always keep an open mind that he is heavily biased.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

YHis focus is on Muslims who refuse to integrate or respect local laws.

It isn't. It's on all Muslims:

Look, a lot of your post could be the beginning of a sensible discussion of Muslims in the UK or the West. But Tommy doesn't care one whit. He's out for himself and that's it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It isn't. It's on all Muslims:

Look, a lot of your post could be the beginning of a sensible discussion of Muslims in the UK or the West. But Tommy doesn't care one whit. He's out for himself and that's it.

That is indeed shocking. But to be fair:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    When Robinson was questioned by The Guardian about having blamed "'every single Muslim' for 'getting away' with the 7 July bombings, and for calling Islam a fascist and violent religion, he held up his hands and said, 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry.'" Robinson also said that he would now give evidence to the police to help in their investigation of racists within the EDL.

The video you linked to is not recent. He left the EDL in 2013, so it's possible his opinions have become more responsible since then. (I don't know if they have).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

people are too afraid to speak their minds incase people get upset , id love to hear of any irish person who has never had a bad word to say about foreigners , we all have

Look whats happening with a certain ethnic group in balbriggan , people are affraid to say anything incase labeled racist

Did we have this problem 20 years ago with ethnic groups ? Did england ? NO

They don’t integrate that’s what he is against , he has alot of muslim friends , had meetings with loads of muslims , he’s against the ideology of islam and lack of integration , and when you question their religon you get attacked , he can’t set foot in his own town in his own country by these goat ****ers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Strange how the accounts banned by Facebook, Instagram, YouTube & Twitter are almost always those on the political right.

You seriously think it's strange that the groups that practice all the hate speech are the ones who are banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That is indeed shocking. But to be fair:

The video you linked to is not recent. He left the EDL in 2013, so it's possible his opinions have become more responsible since then. (I don't know if they have).

So much more responsible he's been kicked offof twitter, facebook and instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Why are there so many Tommy fanboys in Ireland?
    It's baffling tbh

30 or 40 years ago it would've been Irish people in the UK who the Tommy Robinsons of their day would've been directing their ire at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Cienciano wrote: »
    You seriously think it's strange that the groups that practice all the hate speech are the ones who are banned?

The right don't practice all the hate speech though, that's the point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement