Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Robinson jailed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

But a convicted fraudster is?

Jesus do you ever shut up repeating the same shìte over and over you're boring. We all know about his conviction. You should go back to your echo chamber in the politics forum.

Yeah he's a convicted fraudster, so what? I've lied on loan applications in the past big deal.

It doesn't mean what he's saying now isn't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Ah yes, the man who works for a conspiracy site that claimed families of the Sandy Hook massacre were actors... I guess both Robinson and him do some pretty extreme propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Left wing in the US basically means you're not on board the MAGA train.

That's absolutely not true.

Alright, this is pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It doesn't mean what he's saying now isn't true.

No but the fact that you couldn't make that point without the ad hominem says a lot.

This cult of Tommy thing is getting a bit weird to be honest. It's like Christianity with a crap Jesus.

But maybe we should just leave it at that. Last word's yours if you want it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

No but the fact that you couldn't make that point without the ad hominem says a lot.

This cult of Tommy thing is getting a bit weird to be honest. It's like Christianity with a crap Jesus.

If it's getting a bit weird for you then see yourself out of thread. I can't imagine spending my time repeating the same crap over and over again about someone I hate. Go hand out some bans or something that's what you're for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Who's he and what's his expertise? Is he one of those supplement salesmen that the incels consider an intellectual?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Obviously you don't need to agree with whatever you read, but I am a centrist, and I make an effort to read the news on both sides of the political spectrum, and it is extremely obvious there is strong left wing bias amongst the tech companies and their employees. Even if you don't believe me, surely it's common sense - San Fransicso is overwhelmingly left wing. This is the location of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. So the banings generally follow this political bias.

Reading the fringes on both sides will not make you more informed. You need to first figure out which sources tend to be reliable as far as factual reporting goes and correcting mistakes. You need to be able to separate them from sources that tend to be deceptive. You should also learn the difference between a report and an opinion piece.

Reading the fringes on both sides will not make you more informed. You need to first figure out which sources tend to be reliable as far as factual reporting goes and correcting mistakes. You need to be able to separate them from sources that tend to be deceptive. You should also learn the difference between a report and an opinion piece.

Can you give us some examples of what you see as reliable sources?

Where did I say I only read the fringes?

Where did I say I think reports and opinion pieces are the same?

Are you one of those people who think everyone who doesn't share your political opinion must be a MAGA hat wearing nazi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Who's he and what's his expertise? Is he one of those supplement salesmen that the incels consider an intellectual?
    Remember that time the White House shared a doctored video of Jim Acosta putting his hands on a White House intern to justify removing Acosta's press credentials?

PrisonPlanetPaul was the scource of said doctored video.

• Advertisement

Can you give us some examples of what you see as reliable sources?

The Wall Street Journal has excellent factual reporting and very deceptive editorials and opinion pieces. I'm providing this one as an example because it demonstrates how one organisation can provide factual reporting while being less factual with opinion pieces. This is common in many news organisations.

The kind of media that I tend to avoid are the vitamin salesmen and basement video producers from social media.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Remember that time the White House shared a doctored video of Jim Acosta putting his hands on a White House intern to justify removing Acosta's press credentials?

PrisonPlanetPaul was the scource of said doctored video.

jesus...

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If it's getting a bit weird for you then see yourself out of thread. I can't imagine spending my time repeating the same crap over and over again about someone I hate. Go hand out some bans or something that's what you're for.

Mod: I will, if you don't stop the personal abuse and overly aggressive posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,607 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In November, PayPal said it would no longer process payments for Mr Robinson

:pac:

Does Stephen actually have a job?

The Wall Street Journal has excellent factual reporting and very deceptive editorials and opinion pieces. I'm providing this one as an example because it demonstrates how one organisation can provide factual reporting while being less factual with opinion pieces. This is common in many news organisations.

The kind of media that I tend to avoid are the vitamin salesmen and basement video producers from social media.

Fair enough, anything from this side of the pond? I don't like to watch or read American news.

Boggles wrote: »

I would be fairly confident he's getting funding from organisations who support his political views.

His job is an activist?

Where did I say I only read the fringes?

I didn't say that you did. I did imply that you read the fringes of whom convicted fraudster Tommy would be a member, not to be confused with only reading the fringes. My point was that they aren't worth bothering with.
    Where did I say I think reports and opinion pieces are the same?

You provided an opinion piece earlier as a source for a claim. It suggests that you either don't know the difference or are acting in bad faith. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.
    Are you one of those people who think everyone who doesn't share your political opinion must be a MAGA hat wearing nazi?

No. I'm Irish and have been on the internet long before people started thinking "I'm left wing" or "I'm right wing". My opinions on economic matters would lean heavily to the right while my views on social issues would lean left although my views on some social issues such as those relating to travellers and trans women in women's sport would probably have me leaning right again.

This nonsense of identifying as left or right is just that. Nonsense.

So no, I don't view those who disagree with me as being MAGA hat wearing nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Boggles wrote: »

Is grifting not a job?

Is grifting not a job?

Well brains, what do you think?

Mod-Banned

Fair enough, anything from this side of the pond? I don't like to watch or read American news.

The Telegraph is basically the WSJ equivalent over here. Good reporting, not so good editorialising. The Indo, closer to home is what I use to keep up to date with Irish news but it's just OK and has a lot of lunatics writing opinion pieces.

• Advertisement

The Telegraph is basically the WSJ equivalent over here. Good reporting, not so good editorialising. The Indo, closer to home is what I use to keep up to date with Irish news but it's just OK and has a lot of lunatics writing opinion pieces.

I appreciate your recommendations, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,607 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I would be fairly confident he's getting funding from organisations who support his political views.

Just not via paypal, Western Union? :pac:
    His job is an activist?

So is he actually registered with Her Majesty as a self employed activist?

I didn't say that you did. I did imply that you read the fringes of whom convicted fraudster Tommy would be a member, not to be confused with only reading the fringes. My point was that they aren't worth bothering with.

You provided an opinion piece earlier as a source for a claim. It suggests that you either don't know the difference or are acting in bad faith. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

No. I'm Irish and have been on the internet long before people started thinking "I'm left wing" or "I'm right wing". My opinions on economic matters would lean heavily to the right while my views on social issues would lean left although my views on some social issues such as those relating to travellers and trans women in women's sport would probably have me leaning right again.

This nonsense of identifying as left or right is just that. Nonsense.

So no, I don't view those who disagree with me as being MAGA hat wearing nazis.

You implied I am reading fringes and don't understand the difference between fact and opinion.

If you seriously think I was "trying to act in bad faith" by linking to a USA Today opinion piece about conservatives being silenced, then you need to stop taking boards so seriously. Just google "social media bias against conservatives" and you'll find a million articles talking about this.

As I stated earlier, it is common sense that moderators working for Facebook, Instagram, Youtube & Twitter in ultra left wing San Francisco are going to have a left leaning bias. If you pay attention to this topic (conservatives being silenced) you will see it's not paranoia.

I agree with you on the following: This nonsense of identifying as left or right is just that. Nonsense.

It doesn't make sense. If we're being honest with ourselves, we are conservative about some things, and liberal about other things. And even then, there's things like being politically conservative and being socially conservative. They're not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The censorship and lack of free speech which goes against the globalist and liberal agenda is frightening in this day and age.

Love or loathe Tommy Robinson or Alex Jones but what has happened to them is dangerous and disturbing. Scary times we are living in. The era of fake news is alive and kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ricero wrote: »
    The censorship and lack of free speech which goes against the globalist and liberal agenda is frightening in this day and age.

Love or loathe Tommy Robinson or Alex Jones but what has happened to them is dangerous and disturbing. Scary times we are living in. The era of fake news is alive and kicking.

You do realise that robinson and Jones, in particular jones, are the biggest proponents of fake news? That is basically all jones did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Alex Jones is currently being sued by families he claimed were actors after their children died. He is a self promoting scumbag.

I find it quite amazing how fake news is defined.

Do you ever notice if you're an expert in a topic, whenever you read an article about that topic on mainstream news source (e.g. the BBC), you're always scratching your head thinking what is this nonsense?

For example, I'm a HIV expert and practically every article on HIV is wrong. It's always a mix of misinformation and old wives tales. I've also a strong background is statistics, and I constantly see statistics being abused to make fake points.

And then there's all the political agendas. Look how many BBC articles are written from a feminist perspective.

It's become very difficult to find genuinely truthful news sources.

I quite like the commentator Tim Pool. He at least tries to be fair.

Alex Jones was always kind of ridiculous, but he has really lost the plot these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

All just far left liberals closing ranks given the release of Panodrama, doing their bit for the side as it were.

Free speech used to be something that classic liberals fought for, now these so called liberals want their opponents muzzled whenever it doesn't suit their narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Your examples are not equivalent. Almost no one knew about these rape gangs. There is a strong argument to make that the courts blocking any reporting was business as usual (their rapes had been covered up for decades).

My understanding of free speech is not vague. The issue is most people here have never thought it through, yet for some reason they have strong opinions on it...

Of course extremist Islamic clerics and anti-semites should have free speech. Again, I think you don't understand what free speech is. It doesn't mean freedom of consequences.

To have free speech you have to accept speech you don't like. I understand this is an outrageous concept for some people.

And you see no consequences with extremists having free speech?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

And you see no consequences with extremists having free speech?

Of course there are negative consequences, but the positives outweighs the negatives.

You think there are no consequences to curbing speech?

You should try to think it through. When you properly understand the benefits of free speech, it's impossible to not want it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement