Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Robinson jailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Strange how the accounts banned by Facebook, Instagram, YouTube & Twitter are almost always those on the political right.

Your conflating the mainstream right with the racist far right, either because of dishonesty or ignorance. There's no issue advocating for fiscal responsibility on these platforms but they do have problems with advocating for harassment.

It's not a subtle difference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Refusing to give bigots a platform isn't bias. It's common sense.

Alright, you don't understand my question or didn't read it.

Let me rephrase:

Why are the accounts of the far left, who promote violence and doxxing, rarely banned?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why are the accounts of the far left, who promote violence and doxxing, rarely banned?

Source?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Source?

How about all the accounts calling for the doxxing or killing of the Covington Catholic High School kids? None of those got banned.

Covington Catholic High School = Conservative MAGA hat wearing kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How about all the accounts calling for the doxxing or killing of the Covington Catholic High School kids? None of those got banned.

I asked for a source because I don't believe your claim. This isn't a source.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Almost as if they don't want to be linked to a racist faudster.

If that was the reason then I'm sure he would have been banned a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That wasn't my point. My point is how the right are overwhelmingly targeted for bans.

There are all sorts of leftist crazies posting crazy stuff, yet they don't get banned.

I look at some antifa accounts and they're constantly talking about hurting people, doxxing people, etc. Yet they almost never get banned.

Surely you can admit there is political bias amongst the media and tech companies?

Perhaps you could link to some examples of these groups breaking site rules?

Really?

You think that Facebook banned him because of something in a TV show? That's actually where your mind went with the information that you have?

You didn't consider that maybe using facebook's platform to spread a lie that had the effect of ddosing the phone lines of a rape crisis centre might have had something to do with it or that maybe he simply failed to heed the warning from facebook?

Yeah, it must be the TV show.

None of that was mentioned as the reasons for the ban. The reasons that were mentioned above in the BBC link, calling for Muslims to be beheaded was one I've never seen him post anything like that although I may have missed it.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That's an opinion piece from some anti-abortion guy. When people ask for a source, they aren't looking for any old page that repeats the claims made by the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

None of that was mentioned as the reasons for the ban. The reasons that were mentioned above in the BBC link, calling for Muslims to be beheaded was one I've never seen him post anything like that although I may have missed it.

You think FB just made up something that is as verifiable as that? You also forget that FB can see posts after tommy thinks he has deleted them.

That's an opinion piece.

If you google it, there are tons of articles on this topic.

It's constantly discussed by people like Joe Rogan, Tim Pool, etc.

I'm surprised you've never come account this./

I'm not right wing yet I see articles on this all the time.

If you google it, there are tons of articles on this topic.

It's constantly discussed by people like Joe Rogan, Tim Pool, etc.

I'm not right wing.

You have nothing then. I'm not going to research an argument that you're too lazy to substantiate.

H. H. Asquith

You have nothing then. I'm not going to research an argument that you're too lazy to substantiate.

Obviously do whatever you want, but if you're too lazy to leave your political bubble, I know I would be wasting my time anyway.

Obviously do whatever you want, but if you're too lazy to leave your political bubble, I know I would be wasting my time anyway.

Ah now. You have to actually formulate an argument. It's not lazy of me to do all your work for you.

H. H. Asquith

Ah now. You have to actually formulate an argument. It's not lazy of me to do all your work for you.

I already know where this is going. I've been using the internet for too long.

You have your opinion, and you're going to stick to it.

The fact that you're unaware of this topic tells me you restrict yourself to left wing news sources. Right wing news sources CONSTANTLY talk about this issue.

The fact that you're unaware of this topic tells me you restrict yourself to left wing news sources. Right wing news sources CONSTANTLY talk about this issue.

Of course I'm going to stick to it. You've given me no incentive to do otherwise.

You have no idea what media I choose to consume so you just decide for yourself and use that as a cop out.

Telling people to google your argument is just lazy and deserves to be dismissed as such.

H. H. Asquith

As I said yesterday, it's ignorance. A video was posted here yesterday of a BBC employee trying to bribe people for fake stories about TR, but no one wants to watch it because it's Tommy Robinson even though it shows the BBC for what they are, lying scumbags.

Leave the idiots in their little bubble.

Of course I'm going to stick to it. You've given me no incentive to do otherwise.

You have no idea what media I choose to consume so you just decide for yourself and use that as a cop out.

Telling people to google your argument is just lazy and deserves to be dismissed as such.

You cannot be looking at any right leaning news sources if you're unaware of this issue. It's spoken about almost every day. It's actually one of their main topics, along the lines of the usual nonsense like immigration and transgenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

You cannot be looking at any right leaning news sources if you're unaware of this issue. It's spoken about almost every day. It's actually one of their main topics, along the lines of the usual nonsense like immigration and transgenders.

Reading right wing sources doesn't mean slavishly agreeing with every single word and frankly, the same drivel is just repurposed over and over again though the left wing outlets do that a lot as well.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 45,052 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah, sure, Facebook facilitated Brexit and Trump, but will stop good ol' Tommy from defending himself vs the BBC. Cause that makes loads of sense.

Be more convincing if he presented some evidence.

H. H. Asquith

Yeah, sure, Facebook facilitated Brexit and Trump, but will stop good ol' Tommy from defending himself vs the BBC. Cause that makes loads of sense.

Facebook are not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,052 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Indeed - but why the fook should we think that they removed him due to the BBC. What evidence is there of them working hand in hand with the BBC? Or similar?

But a convicted fraudster is?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

What do you think his angle is with that last line? What's his alternative to the free market?

Reading right wing sources doesn't mean slavishly agreeing with every single word and frankly, the same drivel is just repurposed over and over again though the left wing outlets do that a lot as well.

Obviously you don't need to agree with whatever you read, but I am a centrist, and I make an effort to read the news on both sides of the political spectrum, and it is extremely obvious there is strong left wing bias amongst the tech companies and their employees. Even if you don't believe me, surely it's common sense - San Fransicso is overwhelmingly left wing. This is the location of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. So the banings generally follow this political bias.

• Advertisement

Obviously you don't need to agree with whatever you read, but I am a centrist, and I make an effort to read the news on both sides of the political spectrum, and it is extremely obvious there is strong left wing bias amongst the tech companies and their employees. Even if you don't believe me, surely it's common sense - San Fransicso is overwhelmingly left wing. This is the location of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. So the banings generally follow this political bias.

Left wing in the US is not remotely the same as being left wing in Europe. Left wing in the US basically means you're not on board the MAGA train.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement