Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

You certainly went off at a fair clip alright.

5 even pace is around 03:06 to 03:07 / km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

17:21 chip time in today's 5k. Happy with that as I didn't think I was at that level yet. I was worried that mile race earlier in the week might have affected my preformance but it seems to have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

17:21 chip time in today's 5k. Happy with that as I didn't think I was at that level yet. I was worried that mile race earlier in the week might have affected my preformance but it seems to have done the trick.

Good man, great racing this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's a great race man. In great shape. Long may it continue. Need to catch up on the goings on in these parts

MONDAY

Very light home gym...

TUESDAY

PM: Ray Flynn Mile
    I got to Longford in good time only a 45 minutes drive from work. It was a perfect evening for running until I actually got to Longford then just kept raining more or less non stop. I didn't know the route but I covered most of it in my warm up. So in total I did a bit of a extra long warm up, mainly because I was there in good time and this wasn't exactly a goal race. Warm up total 4.64km followed by my drills and activation routine.

There was a bit of hanging around before the race which was fair enough but standing in the rain wasn't ideal. They let us off in waves the first was sub 6 then 30 seconds later sub 7 etc.. Three two one off we go. And off course all my plans for negative splits go out the window was you can see from my other post, waaaaay too fast. It was over before I knew it so not much point to breaking it down, the data from garmin tells it all. The last 400 hurt but I kept digging in. The bends didn't help, particularly the one where we went into the school grounds. That's where I had the wobble. Overall 5th place in an underachieving time of 5:12. Maybe that 6x1km on Saturday was still in my legs? For a 1st attempt I was happy enough. I'd like to think I'd be closer to 5 minutes if I do the Griffith Avenue Mile. I have to complement Longford AC for putting on a race like this as a mile to 5k races are something that caught my imagination and mile Road races are like hens teeth.

I didn't hang around after it as Dermot told me do 3 or 4km steady afterwards so I didn't want to get cold. After 500 or so meters easy jog I went straight into 3km in 12:19 approximately 4:06/km pace, I should have been closer to 4:10/k but I had that quick turn over in my legs from the mile. I felt I could do 4km steady but I was quite beat up after that race, so I left it at 3k followed by another 3.1km cool down afterwards. It actually stayed dry for the 3k steady and cool down.

WEDNESDAY

PM: 10.18 @4:47 on road. I felt grand to be honest. Actually quite sharp. I wore compression socks all day which might be placebo but I think it makes a difference when you feel beat up.

THURSDAY

PM: 45 minutes easy mainly on road 9.38km @4:48/km. Planned this on grass but the pitches were in use...

FRIDAY

AM: Easy with 4x 15 seconds hill sprints 5.22km @4:56/km. Just around town

SATURDAY

Ireland West 5k
    I got to the race in good time, peach of a morning for running. A bit of drizzle during for my warm up but that cleared up quickly. 3km doing loops of the GAA pitch followed by usual warm up drills and activations. Meet a good few club mates and local independent runners doing the 3/4 marathon. I did another 1km getting to the start line and some strides.

I was familiar with the route having ran it a month ago. I knew the first 2km would be quick and made work for the last 3km. Off we go! A quick start with 200m down hill before the road leveled out. Looking at my watch in the leading group we running at a 3:15/k pace so two things in my mind. I didn't want to loose them and get isolated as there wasn't very big numbers of sub 18 runners. Also I was mindful of blowing up particularly on that 3rd km. But that 6x1km last Saturday gave me the confidence to go at these first two km at a solid pace. I kept forcing myself to slow down in that first km hitting the 1km mark in 3:25 I was in 8th place at this stage. The second km was simular to the first I worked my way up to 5th place while still forcing myself to slow down so to over cook it. The second km was 3:25 again. On the 3rd km I held it steady we had to work here with two dirty hills over 500m I was glad to see that km behind me as I was working hard there with a 3:35 split for it. The next two km had no more hills but a constant pull all the way home. I was closing in on the guy in 4th place I'm not sure if it was in this km or the start of the final km when I passed him. 4th km 3:29. The legs were starting to hurt here but I wasn't going to give up on and wanted to hold 4th place. I tried to push for 3rd but I left it too late as we took the final turn and we had this 200m of a steep hill to the start line plus another 100m to the finish. This was hard! I could see the clock I knew I had the PB in the bag with a 3:25 last km on my watch and a 17:21 chip time!! Absolutely delighted with this result. My brother was asking on Friday what did I expect I told him 17:38 but in my head I was hoping to pb but not by this much. 14 seconds.

Cool down around the GAA pitch again just over 3km. I didn't go to the hall afterwards as I needed to get home for Mrs Mellow Yellows birthday. The first thing Dermot says is sub 17 on the cards for Rathfarnham... I'm not sure, I see how the next few weeks go.

SUNDAY

AM: 20.56km @4:43/km along the the sea front in Galway and it actually wasn't raining in Galway for a change!

Total distance this week 70.4km with 6 days running. Good week running

• Advertisement

Great week that, didn’t realise the 5k was a PB. Very well done!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great week that, didn’t realise the 5k was a PB. Very well done!!

It's a 14 seconds of a pb previously 17:35 in December last year. I ran a 17:39 on a better course in July but I wasn't long back in proper training since my IT band injury then. Since that race I've had 8 solid weeks of training. I've been thinking what have I done different this year compared to last year. My weekly mileage is simular, so are my sessions etc but what is different is the small bit of gym work and what I'm putting it down to mainly is six months of consistent strides, sprints, and hill sprints. I do them the day before every a session, then after my warm up before the workout. So that's four times a week, every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats on the PB!!

note to self to find 3-4 seconds this year :P

Any advice what would be a good 10 mile to target next year? I think Trim is a good one, Roscommon too. Any other ones later in the year?

Any advice what would be a good 10 mile to target next year? I think Trim is a good one, Roscommon too. Any other ones later in the year?

Mullingar towards end of July always a good one to. Dungarvan normally end of January beginning of February is meant to be a great race but usually same day as Trim. Personally have a soft spot for the Cara Bundoran 10 mile with the missus being from that part of the world, around first week of March.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Mullingar towards end of July always a good one to. Dungarvan normally end of January beginning of February is meant to be a great race but usually same day as Trim. Personally have a soft spot for the Cara Bundoran 10 mile with the missus being from that part of the world, around first week of March.
    I think Bundoran is a tricky enough one?

I think Bundoran is a tricky enough one?

Drag out the Sligo road past Tullaghan in first few miles, couple of drags on the bypass. Sting in the tail in last mile at rear of golf club, i’d call it an honest route rather than tricky.

Edit: Out of the three i’ve ran, Bundoran, Mullingar & Trim i’d pick Trim for depth of field, Mullingar for fast route and Bundoran cause I love Donegal!!

Mallow if you're willing to travel. Seems to attract a solid enough field. One I'd like to do but hasn't worked out the past two years. Definitely a distance I'm interested in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The Kilcock 10 from 10, while only 2 years on the go has been getting very good reviews. It's on mid August so would fill that later in the year slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

In the West, Craughwell in March is a good one too though i don't think it gets the same depth at the pointy end as Roscommon but it's a fair course, good atmosphere, well organised event.

For me - the important thing about choosing a goal HM or 10m is if you have people around you for the whole race.

Dungarvan 10 (1st Sunday in Feb) probably gets the deepest field - 87 people under 60 mins and 25 people between 59-60mins.
    Trim is same day(42 people under 60mins) - last year only 13 were between 59-60 mins

I've done both - both good courses but Dungarvan is a good drive away.

Kilcock is a fast course but only 7 between 59-60 - probably due to time of year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the PB. Very well done, especially with a mile race in there too.

Best of luck with whichever 10 mile race(s) you choose to aim for.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, food for thought. I'd like to target a sub 60 10 mile next year. It will take serious amount of work to get there. Possibly target it early in the year and if it doesn't happen try again later in the year

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, food for thought. I'd like to target a sub 60 10 mile next year. It will take serious amount of work to get there. Possibly target it early in the year and if it doesn't happen try again later in the year

I think you're closer to sub 60 than you think

I dunno its a different kettle of fish compared to what I'm at now.

MONDAY

Home gym...

TUESDAY

AM: Easy on grass 45 minutes 9.4km @4:52/km no strides after last weekends racing.

WEDNESDAY

PM: Tack 7x1km with 60 seconds off recovery

Warm up 3.1km followed by drills and a few strides.

Light tempo session after last weekends racing. I was given the job as pacer with a target of an average of 3:50 but working it down slightly. One of the younger girls was in our group doing 800s. She paced the 4th and last one, where she was told to push on.

Splits for the 7x1km

3:53
    3:50
    3:48
    3:52
    3:49
    3:48
    3:33

Cool down on grass : 3.1km

THURSDAY

PM: 13.71km @4:37/km.
    I was wearing my Pegs 36 I always find I'm a bit faster in them. Anytime I look at my watch I have to force myself to slow down a bit even if I feel very comfortable.

FRIDAY

AM: Easy 45 minutes 9.34km @4:49/km. Mainly on grass. I could have added strides but I decided to not add them to easy runs this week.

SATURDAY

PM: Track 2km, 3x1km, 1km target of 6:45 - 6:50 for the 2km, 3x1km 3:50s, and 3:20 for the last kilometer with 2-2:30 minutes off after the 2km and 90 seconds off on the rest.

Hard enough physical day at work had me wary if I could do the session in the times given to me. I got through it grand, but working hard on that last km. I really enjoyed this one, I love running faster at a hard effort. I did find it hard to get my pacing correct for the 3x1km. Just a bit tricky after that quick turn over in the 2km before it.

Warm up 3.4km plus the usual drills and strides.

Splits
    2km 6:48 @3:24/km average

3x1km 3:49, 3:48, 3:47

1km 3:19

Cool down on grass 3km

SUNDAY

PM: 16.1km @4:31/km on the roads after work. Perfect evening for it.

Total distance this week 75km with 6 days running.

• Advertisement

I dunno its a different kettle of fish compared to what I'm at now.

A slight shift in focus towards thresholdy stuff off the back of what you're doing now? I won't jinx it but I'd be very confident.

MONDAY

Nothing. Called into work in the evening and again in the middle of the night

TUESDAY

Late AM: 50 minutes 11.24km @4:33/km with 5x seconds strides. On the roads. A little bit too fast, lovely morning.

WEDNESDAY

PM: Tack 5x1mile tempo with 60 seconds off recovery

Target 6:10 to 6:00. I paced the 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

Warm up mainly on gravel 3km followed by drills and a few strides.

Splits for the miles

6:08
    6:06
    6:07
    6:02
    6:05

Cool down on gravel 3.2km

THURSDAY

AM: Easy 60 minutes 12.69km @4:45/km. Mainly on gravel trail.

FRIDAY

AM: Easy 45 minutes 9.7km @4:42/km with 4x 20 seconds hills. Mixture of gravel trail and road.

SATURDAY

This was Plan C. Got the WhatsApp of Dermot and thought it looked easy enough but I struggled with it.

PM: Track 2 mile, 1 mile, 800m, 1 mile target of 10k pace for the 2 mile, 5k pace for the next 1 mile, then 3k pace the 800m (this 800m should have been 1km), finally 6:15-6:20 for the last mile.

Lovely day but by the time I finished work it was raining and windy. I felt wrecked all day, I'm working way too much....

Warm up on the track 3.4km plus the usual drills and strides.

Splits

2 mile 11:45

1 mile 5:30

800m 2:41
    It should have been 1km but I was fading so I cut it short.

1 mile 6:15
    This felt really easy after the quicker turn over stuff.

Cool down 3.1km

SUNDAY

PM: 16.13km @4:36/km on the roads after work. I only noticed after it my heart rate was quite high despite it feeling very comfortable. Maybe I'm starting to come down with a bug as I've been feeling very tired lately. I'll be taking it easy next week as I hope to race at the weekend.

Total distance this week 77.8km with 6 days running. I had planned the Griffith avenue mile on Sunday but I couldn't get off work, my Plan B was Castlegar open xc on Saturday but again I couldn't get off work so I went went Plan C I'm looking forward to get weekend off for my first day off work in 20 days.

my Plan B was Castlegar open xc on Saturday but again I couldn't get off work.
    Registered for mens open cross country October 20th. 7500m :eek:

This was Plan C. Got the WhatsApp of Dermot and thought it looked easy enough but I struggled with it.

Thought it looked easy!?
    It doesn't. That's a big session.

Thought it looked easy!?
    It doesn't. That's a big session.
    Haha I don't why but sometimes I see a workout and think no problem, then die on the track drowning in lactic acid. Then I get other ones and think I'm going to struggle but it's no problem. :rolleyes:

I ran a 17:06 today in Rathfarnham. Had another race to get back for the FAI cup semi final. Banjaxed now

I ran a 17:06 today in Rathfarnham. Had another race to get back for the FAI cup semi final. Banjaxed now

That was an unbelievable time, superb performance.

Nice to meet you yesterday - I watched the video of the race online (about 1k mark) and theres a nice clip of me, you and Overpronator all together.

Pity you 2 f€ckers sped off..........:pac:

That was an unbelievable time, superb performance.

Nice to meet you yesterday
    And you to thanks a million

Pity you 2 f€ckers sped off..........:pac:
    No you just slowed down :pac: :D

Cut down in mileage this week with one of my goal races on Sunday but still running six days. I find it best not to stop running.

MONDAY

Rest

TUESDAY

PM: 30 minutes easy/recovery 6.4km @4:59/km. Mixture of road and gravel

WEDNESDAY

PM: Tack 4km steady + 2x 1km

Target for the steady around 4:00-4:05/k but go on feel cut it back if working hard. 2x1km target was close to 5k pace.

Warm up mainly on gravelfollowed by drills and a few strides. Just over 3km in total . I got a pair of New Balance 1080v9 as a gift so I tested them out. Nice shoes!

Changed into my Nike Zoom fly on for this I did the 4k steady on the gravel track outside the athletics track as it was quite slippery with all the rain. 16:16

Back on the track for the 2x1km 3 minutes rest between them
    3:27
    3:25

Cool down on gravel 2km I normally do 3km but it was cold and wet

THURSDAY

PM: Easy 45 minutes 9.28km @4:51/km. On the roads

FRIDAY

AM: Easy 30 minutes 6.43km @4:49/km

SATURDAY

AM: Bit of a shake out plus 4x 15 seconds hills 5.53km @4:47/km before heading to the big smoke. Dermot went up on Friday I had one of the young lads from the track with me up. He was over in the European youth Olympics in July. He has serious potential.

SUNDAY

Rathfarnham 5k

I was staying close enough to the race but I was still there in good time. I did my usual easy walk around and light stretching before any morning race. Then a few km jog followed by some dynamic stretching, followed by another k light jog. I met Dermot then he gave me my final words of wisdom. I was delighted to have him there to be honest. Very positive and very encouraging. I then changed into my racers and took off the long sleeve top. Few strides now feeling hyped up and focused. Into the starting pen just behind AMK.
    Off we go. My plan for the first km was go hard enough but don't blow up. Dermot was at the 1km mark telling me to push up tight with the group ahead and keep focused. 3:18 for the 1st km. No looking at my watch just went my feel. Then next km I could feel the group I was with were slowing down. Its a slight pull into Terenure I kept pushing but that 1st km probably took a bit out of me. 3:28. Again I didn't look at my watch maybe if I did I would have been more switched on to the pace at the time it felt like a 3:23-3:24 effort. The 3rd km from Terenure to Templeogue was my worst km I kept passing people on this strech but not fast enough. 3:30 was the time again no looking at my watch just tried to keep working. The 4km was much the same until I turned back around the start line again. 3:27 I looked at the watch here. F**k this I'll struggle to get 17:30. Empty the tank and don't worry about the last few 100mts they will take care of themselves. This was real hard just solid racing no looking at the watch just pass out as many people was possible. This felt like forever I kept hoping to see the finish line but it never came. Dermot was there at 400 to go. Shouting go go go pass 20 people you got this, you have it in you! Looking back at my Garmin data I was running at 2:50/k here! I died a little before picking up again. I could see the clock. My dreams of a sub 17will have to wait another day. 17:06 chip, 17:07 gun. That last km was 3:12. I was delighted with this so was Dermot. I got chatting to AMK afterwards good to meet you! The young lad with me ran a 15:29 and the other guy with us ran 15:46.
    Cool down in Bushy Park around 3km before a quick shower then rally down the N4.

Total distance this week 52.7km with 6 days running. There's a local 10km next Sunday that I think I'll do. Not expecting much as I've spent the past while focusing on 5k stuff and the course is a tricky one. I ran a 38:31 last year on it.

Great stuff S, that sub 17 is within reach!!

• Advertisement

Super racing. Well and truly back

Advertisement