Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭volchitsa

gctest50 wrote: »
    It's not about allowed to breed or not, more about having the option safe,legal n free

I couldn't see this crew getting the money together for a trip to the UK :

https://www.thejournal.ie/child-abuse-boy-found-in-car-2023567-Apr2015/[/b]

Christ, that poor child.

And to think some people here think what that woman really needs to to teach her a lesson about responsibility is made to carry another pregnancy to term. Serve her right or something.

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

volchitsa wrote: »

Christ, that poor child.

And to think some people here think what that woman really needs to to teach her a lesson about responsibility is made to carry another pregnancy to term. Serve her right or something.

FFS

The save the baby brigade are remarkably silent when it comes to cases like this.

Poor child, I hope he's in a good place now with a loving family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    New to the thread. Just wondering what people’s views were on the protests that took place outside a GP’s practice in Galway. Should they be able to do it?

My take on it is that they should have the right to stand there with their signs to the extent that they aren’t disrupting public order. They’re not being coercive or harrassing anyone. There just voicing opposition to an elective procedure they disagree with on a moral level. There’s nothing unruly about it.

My view? I’m happy enough for them to stand there too - they’re only making themselves look bad. If that’s what they want - grand?

nullzero wrote: »
    This is beginning to sound worryingly like eugenics.

IT would be if there was any suggestion that "irresponsible" parents should be forced to terminate pregnancies, but that is not the case and it takes some determination to make that leap of logic here.

Do you have any comment to make about the post that says that forced pregnancy "might make them responsible"? Because that's the context of the whole discussion, not forced abortion which is entirely made up by you.

(But liked by some antichoice posters whose own contributions have made it clear they know well that is not what was being proposed - so, yet more evidence that lies and misrepresentation are A-ok for anti choice.)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,753 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just for anybody who think's I was on the other side at some stage. This was my only post on the issue in advance of the vote.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107010573&postcount=284

Nobody quoted me and said that I was voting for different laws. It wouldn't have changed my mind anyways because I fully believe that what we have now, and I don't like it, is better than the way things were.

I've been thinking about it and I really do believe that any woman having an abortion should have to have a psychological examination before they can get an abortion. Mental health is hugely important and if a person is suffering they can make a decision which they regret for the rest of their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just for anybody who think's I was on the other side at some stage. This was my only post on the issue in advance of the vote.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107010573&postcount=284

Nobody quoted me and said that I was voting for different laws. It wouldn't have changed my mind anyways because I fully believe that what we have now, and I don't like it, is better than the way things were.

I've been thinking about it and I really do believe that any woman having an abortion should have to have a psychological examination before they can get an abortion. Mental health is hugely important and if a person is suffering they can make a decision which they regret for the rest of their lives.

Just more bull**** designed to make it more difficult for women to access healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

You really don't trust women at all, do you?

NuMarvel wrote:
    You really don't trust women at all, do you?
    Ah sure just let them do what they want while pregnant.
    Have you been through a pregnancy with a partner? I have and there were some rough times for her where it was approaching the end if the world in her mind.
    If you think that's normal behaviour and that they should be allowed to make monumental decisions on their own at those times then there is something wrong with you imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Have you been through a pregnancy with a partner? I have and there were some rough times for her where it was approaching the end if the world in her mind.
    If you think that's normal behaviour and that they should be allowed to make monumental decisions on their own at those times then there is something wrong with you imo.

We're pregnant not mentally incapacitated. We are well able to make sound decisions and that includes whether or not to continue a pregnancy without psychological help. You're making an absolute show of yourself here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So pregnant women should not be allowed to make any legal decisions on their own for example. This is how your logic follows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

So you want to tell them what to do instead?
    This may come as a shock to you but women don't need you to look after them, even pregnant women.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

That logic suggests that because some men kill their partners, no men should be allowed to live with women in case the kill their wife or girlfriend.

I feel sorry for your partner as it seems she may have had a difficult time. But her experiences cannot be mapped on to every other woman in the country and you should not try. How many of the rough times were in the first 12 weeks of her pregnancy and while we are at it, did she know she was pregnant for certain immediately?

Not allowing women to make their own decisions without making it hard for them to do so - ie by adding hoops for them to do so via wand scans and psych assessments is paternalistic and sexist.

You don't trust women as adults and use pregnancy as a punishment.

So you want to tell them what to do instead? This may come as a shock to you but women don't need you to look after them, even pregnant women.
    No I want them to see a psychologist to deem if they are mentally sound enough to make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

No I want them to see a psychologist to deem if they are mentally sound enough to make the decision.

Because you consider women as less able than yourself specifically because they are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

What should we do with pregnant women who are single? Have the state appoint a man to make their decisions for them?

Calina wrote:
    Because you consider women as less able than yourself specifically because they are women.
    No, because they are pregnant and it can affect their decision making process.
    Go find me a respected medical opinion that says pregnancy doesn't affect a woman's mental health.

I don't consider myself above women. I don't consider myself smarter than women.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I don't consider myself smarter than women.

Just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Saying superficially reasonable things doesn’t make you more reasonable. It is an individual woman’s decision. Counseling service should be available if she wants to avail of them, but it should it not be mandatory. That is being judgemental.

Also, pregnancy does not addle women’s brains. Dealing with this kind of sh*te on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I can’t believe we’ve come back almost full circle to the idea of committees (made up of men, of course) determining whether a woman should have an abortion or not, on her behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I can’t believe we’ve come back almost full circle to the idea of committees (made up of men, of course) determining whether a woman should have an abortion or not, on her behalf.

It's because the VHI etc will pay for up to 6 months psych. care

So just open a few facilities( without the septic tanks this time) get a few in there and before you know it, it's the norm

You'll see Berry Kiely going on about it here :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Go find me a respected medical opinion that says pregnancy doesn't affect a woman's mental health.

I don't consider myself above women. I don't consider myself smarter than women.

I am guessing you have a respected medical opinion to prove this assurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So, a woman with mental health issues brought on by pregnancy, who has been deemed unfit to make decisions, must remain pregnant, and then raise a child, while making all sorts of decisions for another person until that person is capable of living independently.

Right, that's really well thought through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I am guessing you have a respected medical opinion to prove this assurance.

Baby brain or momnesia is a real thing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/baby-brain-pregnancy-real-memory-loss-task-performance-worse-women-research-a8161921.html

The big thing to point out is that all women were still within normal range, and they won't turn into dribbling idiots the second they get a bit of jizz inside them.

Thread just keeps giving! Pre referendum this stuff made me angry and scared. Now I find it quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Your limited experience of pregnancy shows. I've had three pregnancies, if I was deemed mentally OK to continue with two why would my mental health be an issue for the one I terminated?

I wonder when a woman requests an abortion should she maybe be sectioned instead? That would never happen in Ireland would it?

eviltwin wrote:
    Your limited experience of pregnancy shows. I've had three pregnancies, if I was deemed mentally OK to continue with two why would my mental health be an issue for the one I terminated?
    A psychologist could answer that for you.

A psychologist could answer that for you.

I don't think a psychologist would ever make such a claim though. If a woman's mental health is damaged by pregnancy, then surely it's something that needs to be avoided and not enforced on her?

(And before anyone goes off on some mad rant, I'm not saying women should be forced to have abortions, bla bla bla, I'm pointing out the completely bonkers "logic" behind the whole notion that merely being pregnant might render a woman incapable of making a sensible decision about her life. It's misogynistic nonsense.)

Thread just keeps giving! Pre referendum this stuff made me angry and scared. Now I find it quite funny.

Yes me too, Thank F... we never have to take these people seriously ever again.

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote:
    Yes me too, Thank F... we never have to take these people seriously ever again.
    As long as you are not throwing me in with the no campaigners that's fine.
    If you are then I'll just assume you are uneducated and cannot read properly.

Advertisement