Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork snowflakes cancel comedy gig.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Grayson wrote: »
    Do you think someone coming on stage and screaming the N-word over and over again is funny? Is it acceptable.

Loads of US black comedians do that and some of them are funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How had the ticket sales been?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Loads of US black comedians do that and some of them are funny.

Yeah because that's the same thing.

Have a read about his act.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/jmb4k4/roy-chubby-brown-gig-133
    "******, ******, ******, ******, ******! Paki, paki, paki, paki, paki!" The slurs ricocheted off Roy "Chubby" Brown's tongue. "Who said I'm not allowed to say those words?"
    He looked quite sweet in his trademark outfit: technicolour jacket and trousers, flying cap with raised goggles, bright white socks, brown loafers and a glowing fake tan. Like a steampunk children's entertainer. Coming on to Psy's big hit seemed like a strange capitulation to a culture he usually derides, but then he reached the microphone: "Turn that slitty-eyed ****e off, you ****ing ****!"

The music stopped and the laughter began.

He went straight into a routine about Ebola (which he called, perhaps on purpose, "Eboli"). "We've got AIDS from West Africa; we've got malaria from West Africa; we've got pneumonia from West Africa and now we've got Eboli. Apparently the Africans got it because they were eating bats. No wonder them **** have got big lips!"

His act is pretty horrific. Now the arguments here will take three different approaches.

1) His act isn't that bad. Other comedians poke fun at groups. The problem is that those other comedians aren't poking fun at everyone that isn't white and english. The guys routine would fit in at any white supremacists rally.

2) He's being censored. No he's not. By the standards of this argument Garth Brooks was being censored when his concerts were cancelled. A theatre cancelled his concert. He's not being stopped by any legal method. If he wanted to he could try and book somewhere else.

3) people who don't find him funny are humorless snowflakes who can't take a joke. Give it a rest. If you don't find a racist joke funny, that does not make you a snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Snowflake mania!

SNOWFLAKES!

SNOWFLAKES!

SNOWFLAKES!

SNOWFLAKES!
    A lot of snowflakes together can be dangerous. Remember a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Doesn't mean his show should be cancelled.

Yes. Yes it does. There's nothing snowflake about it, the guy is spouting hate from his mouth no matter how funny it is.

I understand people are quick to get offended these days but having a whole crowd of people laughing at races and previously marginalised groups is saying that the Cork Opera house is cool to have such a show under there roof.

Like what? Is a hotel going to hold a convention for white supremacists and say they're paying customers. You have to have standards.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I thought he was dead years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Roy Chubby Brown belongs to the era of Bernard Manning, Alf Garnett, Benny Hill and other un-pc comedians.

I don't find that particular brand of comedy funny, but why ban him from a venue? At worst, it'll be full of oul lads who grew up with this stuff going along for nostalgic purposes. I doubt it'll incite violence of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it does. There's nothing snowflake about it, the guy is spouting hate from his mouth no matter how funny it is.

I understand people are quick to get offended these days but having a whole crowd of people laughing at races and previously marginalised groups is saying that the Cork Opera house is cool to have such a show under there roof.

Like what? Is a hotel going to hold a convention for white supremacists and say they're paying customers. You have to have standards.

Comedy is almost always offensive to someone. That's different to a hate rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

BuboBubo wrote: »

I don't find that particular brand of comedy funny, but why ban him from a venue?

Because it's a venue paid for by public funds.

It's the exact same reason that an Una Mullally event was pulled from the Dublin’s International Literature Festival. http://www.thejournal.ie/festival-abortion-referendum-3984496-Apr2018/

If public funds are being spent, then certain standards and rules have to be upheld.

Funnily enough I didn't see any cries of SNOWFLAKES over that event being cancelled.

It's not about how offensive it is. It receives public funding and therefore should respect free speech, as disgusting as it may be. So many people here think that fact is why it should be banned, when the exact opposite is true.
    If it wants to pick and choose, then it should refuse all funding so it can do what it likes. Racist jokes are bad, but applauding the censoring of bad taste is worse.

Would you applaud the banning of discourse around abortion? If the answer is no, then you can't say you support the cancellation of this guy's gig. If you think that's a ridiculous comparison, then you don't have an understanding of what's being discussed here. ie. Ideas are more important than events.

• Advertisement

It's not about how offensive it is. It receives public funding and therefore should respect free speech, as disgusting as it may be.

Why?

Why should the use of public funds allow anyone a platform to say anything they like?

Even then we'd be ignoring the fact that there's no such thing as free speech in Ireland when it comes to: "blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

pitifulgod wrote: »
    He sounds like a prick... "He has previously been banned from performing at a number of local authority owned venues in the UK. His routines have involved jokes about Islam, asylum seekers and members of the LGBT community."

it's comedy ffs, it's supposed to make you feel a bit uncomfortable and make you laugh.
    John Cleese has said political correctness has killed comedy, and he's right

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No doubt his next show will have a bit full of derogatory terms about Irish people due to this incident and the same people complaining about the ‘snowflakes’ now will be complaining about his material.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    it's comedy ffs, it's supposed to make you feel a bit uncomfortable and make you laugh.
    John Cleese has said political correctness has killed comedy, and he's right

John Cleese wouldn't hire Roy Chubby Brown though.

Why?

Why should the use of public funds allow anyone a platform to say anything they like?

Even then we'd be ignoring the fact that there's no such thing as free speech in Ireland when it comes to: "blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter".

Because it's not illegal to say those things. A private company can do what it likes, but if there's public funding, then action shouldn't be taken against subjective bad taste.

It's incredible that people don't see that this all goes against our very idea of Irish / Western society. I live in a country that jails people for saying the wrong things and find it abhorrent that there are Irish people going that direction, which you absolutely are but don't realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

spurious wrote: »
    How had the ticket sales been?

I actually emailed the COH to ask that very question, no reply yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Oh FFS I just noticed that "Farmer Michael" fella has a show on in June.

It's not about how offensive it is. It receives public funding and therefore should respect free speech, as disgusting as it may be. So many people here think that fact is why it should be banned, when the exact opposite is true.
    If it wants to pick and choose, then it should refuse all funding so it can do what it likes. Racist jokes are bad, but applauding the censoring of bad taste is worse.

Would you applaud the banning of discourse around abortion? If the answer is no, then you can't say you support the cancellation of this guy's gig. If you think that's a ridiculous comparison, then you don't have an understanding of what's being discussed here. ie. Ideas are more important than events.

So by your standard if a hate preacher, or the KKK or any number of nasty groups wanted to hire the place they shouldn't be able to say no?

And btw, as I've pointed out, no-one banning him. saying a venue cancelling a gi is equivalent to banning discourse on abortion is simply wrong. They're not the same thing. We're the proof of it. We're discussing his humour. Nothing has been banned.

Because it's not illegal to say those things. A private company can do what it likes, but if there's public funding, then action shouldn't be taken against subjective bad taste.

It is illegal.

It's illegal under the constitution.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html#article40_6_1

"The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

John Cleese wouldn't hire Roy Chubby Brown though.

If you don't like it, don't buy a ticket.
    It's simple really. I don't like his act personally but banning him is ridiculous.
    This from the "rebel county" that pulled it's trousers down and bent over when the queen came.

• Advertisement

We don't have free speech in Ireland because we don't allow hate speech. This isn't America and rightly so. We have free speech within the right not to incite hatred or slander to others. Considering free speech has incited plenty of riots and hatred en masse I personally think that a society where one says no to racism and censors it is the right thing. A country/government should seek to make everyone in there country feel welcome and belonged. Not allowing some nuts right wing racist group to have a view is a good way to go about it for a start. I have a perfect grasp of what I'm talking about here.

What the hell has abortion got to do with racism, non comparable. One is about when life begins and how it should be treated. The other is about subjugating groups of people with shared characteristics to prejudice and antagonism. You can say I don't get it, or I could say that is just a terrible example for comparison. Plus the discourse around Abortion is political and philosophical not driven by a racial slant with undertones of hate. My proof that such a method of speech in society works is that we live in one.

So by your standard if a hate preacher, or the KKK or any number of nasty groups wanted to hire the place they shouldn't be able to say no?

And btw, as I've pointed out, no-one banning him. saying a venue cancelling a gi is equivalent to banning discourse on abortion is simply wrong. They're not the same thing. We're the proof of it. We're discussing his humour. Nothing has been banned.

A comedy show isn't inciting violence. That shouldn't be allowed.

But if the KKK, which isn't even illegal in America, want to get up on stage and be racists, then yes, they should be allowed to.
    It is illegal.

It's illegal under the constitution.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html#article40_6_1

"The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law."

I know the blasphemy part is illegal, and that's the most shameful piece of legislation Ireland has passed since I was born. The people responsible for that are worse than any shltty comedian.

Do the racist jokes fall under indecent matter? I find it unlikely. And comedy isn't seditious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A comedy show isn't inciting violence. That shouldn't be allowed.

But if the KKK, which isn't even illegal in America, want to get up on stage and be racists, then yes, they should be allowed to.

I know the blasphemy part is illegal, and that's the most shameful piece of legislation Ireland has passed since I was born. The people responsible for that are worse than any shltty comedian.

Do the racist jokes fall under indecent matter? I find it unlikely. And comedy isn't seditious.

I'd expect that racism would indeed by classed as indecent..

We don't have free speech in Ireland because we don't allow hate speech. This isn't America and rightly so. We have free speech within the right not to incite Considering free speech has incited plenty of riots and hatred. I have a perfect grasp of what I'm talking about here.

What the hell has abortion got to do with racism, non comparable. One is about when life begins and how it should be treated. The other is about subjugating groups of people with shared characteristics to prejudice and antagonism. You can say I don't get it, or I could say that is just a terrible example for comparison. Plus the discourse around Abortion is political and philosophical not driven by a racial slant with undertones of hate.

I understand free speech in Ireland. Comedy isn't inciting violence, as much as you might want to believe it.

What has abortion to do with this? Pretty basic really. If the government in power decides that talk of abortion is seditious, and thus ban publicly speaking about it, then it's nothing different to this.

It's just mind-boggling that I have to even debate this stuff in a Western country.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd expect that racism would indeed by classed as indecent..

Do you think people who say racist things are breaking the law? Would you support their arrest?

What has abortion to do with this? Pretty basic really. If the government in power decides that talk of abortion is seditious, and thus ban publicly speaking about it, then it's nothing different to this.

They did......

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/una-mullally-dangerous-and-grim-for-society-to-silence-arts-1.3478158

If it was because it was pro-abortion, then that's terrible.

But the article says

As with other public bodies, Dublin City Council cannot use public funding to support any side or appear to support any side of a referendum campaign.

If that's the case, then it's not as bad.

If it was because it was pro-abortion, then that's terrible.

But the article says

As with other public bodies, Dublin City Council cannot use public funding to support any side or appear to support any side of a referendum campaign.

If that's the case, then it's not as bad.

And that's exactly where we are with Cork. The use of public funds means that they're going to block that and they're going to block that racist in a clown suit.

And that's exactly where we are with Cork. The use of public funds means that they're going to block that and they're going to block that racist in a clown suit.

It's not remotely the same. A dickhead getting up on stage is not making a political statement, nor is he advocating anything except bad humour.

• Advertisement

I understand free speech in Ireland. Comedy isn't inciting violence, as much as you might want to believe it.

It's just mind-boggling that I have to even debate this stuff in a Western country.

But talking about abortion is not seditious....racism is. We're not dealing with what ifs the government did this or that we're talking about what is now. It’s clear what is and what isn’t seditious.

Maybe the crux of your argument is that government shouldn't be able to dictate what is and what isn't allowed to be said. There hasn't been any meddling by the government to change to stretch these laws out to further censor speech.

The rules and laws we have are in place because of a historical and societal aspect we developed them so.
    I don’t need to tell you what racism does to a society and what it has done. Why would anyone say that it’s still fine for that to be evident in society particularly at an event which says it’s alright to laugh at a couple of “pakis” and “blacks” cos no harm done eh? Except to those who think that they can go around in a Western society with view points like that and combine with others to express these opinions at events. Inciting hatred and animosity. If we are a Western society we should be aspiring to higher ideals and morals not letting room for racists etc.

Advertisement