Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork snowflakes cancel comedy gig.

Options
  • 24-05-2018 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-opera-house-cancels-offensive-roy-chubby-brown-gig-844698.html

Cork Opera House has cancelled a gig by a comedian whose humour has been described as “repulsive” and “offensive” by city councillors, writes Rob McNamara of the Evening Echo.
    UK-based Royston Vasey, who performs under the stage name of Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown, was due to perform at the venue on June 10.
    Cork Opera House had billed the show as containing “politically incorrect jokes” that are “delivered with a cheeky grin and perfect comedy timing”.
    The management of Cork Opera House — which receives arts grants from Cork City and County Councils and also programme funding from the Arts Council for certain cultural events — has decided to cancel the show deeming it “unsuitable” for a venue that receives public funding.

If you don't like it, don't go to it.
    If it was Tommy Tiernan, who some also find offensive, would the gig be cancelled??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-opera-house-cancels-offensive-roy-chubby-brown-gig-844698.html

Cork Opera House has cancelled a gig by a comedian whose humour has been described as “repulsive” and “offensive” by city councillors, writes Rob McNamara of the Evening Echo.
    UK-based Royston Vasey, who performs under the stage name of Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown, was due to perform at the venue on June 10.
    Cork Opera House had billed the show as containing “politically incorrect jokes” that are “delivered with a cheeky grin and perfect comedy timing”.
    The management of Cork Opera House — which receives arts grants from Cork City and County Councils and also programme funding from the Arts Council for certain cultural events — has decided to cancel the show deeming it “unsuitable” for a venue that receives public funding.

If it was Tommy Tiernan, who some also find offensive, would the gig be cancelled??

He sounds like a prick... "He has previously been banned from performing at a number of local authority owned venues in the UK. His routines have involved jokes about Islam, asylum seekers and members of the LGBT community."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Never knew his real name... appreciate ‘the league of gentlemen’ even more now.

R.C.B. is a scummer... but if people find his ignorant filth funny let them at it in a private venue.
    Sticks and stones...

pitifulgod wrote: »
    He sounds like a prick... "He has previously been banned from performing at a number of local authority owned venues in the UK. His routines have involved jokes about Islam, asylum seekers and members of the LGBT community."

Doesn't mean his show should be cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Well if your gay Islamic asylum seeker then maybe avoid it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I'm sure the people that got tickets to go to it will be feeling upset right now who decides what is or isn't offensive surely people have their own minds whether they want to go to this gig or not instead of having it decided for them by the permanently offended snowflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I know the word gets thrown around a lot but your use of 'snowflake' here is spot on OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rochelle

Oh no, not the "LGBT community"....how callous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

He's in our local town hall here in mayo, I never heard of him.
    Looked him on youtube, thought his jokes were sh1t and just being a pr1ck to be funny.

So I:
    A) contacted the townhall immediately saying how outraged I was that he was playing in their venue.
    B) Didn't go to the gig.

I went with option b for those who cant follow sarcasm online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

begbysback wrote: »
    Well if your gay Islamic asylum seeker then maybe avoid it?

Apparently most here are now.

Boards.ie = generation snowflake inc.

A quiet humble man who doesnt care for the offended by everything hate mob who had a tertible start in life makes millions from a comedy act (thats all it is an act).Hes done well.

Of course the politically correct snowflakes will take offense. Probably spiteful and jealous of his money too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

minikin wrote: »

R.C.B. is a scummer... but if people find his ignorant filth funny let them at it in a private venue.
    Sticks and stones...

Only reason I knew his real name is because they called the village in The League of Gentlemen after him.

I actually thought he was dead. Wouldn't be my brand of humour but seems a bit OTT to cancel his gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

minikin wrote: »

He played the town mayor in one episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

He's an assh*le alright. But each to their own.

Censoring comedy (whether the humour is to your liking or not) is disgraceful.

I don't like what he does and says and he's painfully unfunny to me but I find him very easy to avoid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

So - venue bills the gig, gets contacted by the papers asking them about it, management take a closer look and decide that they will remove gig.

Who are the snowflakes? The newspaper asking for a statement? The board of managers? The comedian?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You just knew if Roy Chubby Brown had fans they’d be gimps from Cark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You just knew if Roy Chubby Brown had fans they’d be gimps from Cark.

Ooh that's edgy. Hate speech reported to the grown-ups.

He is a performing artist. It would be a far greater expression of art to let the eejit play so he can be criticised for his low IQ 'controversial' content instead of censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not like he's changed his act in the last 25 years, so if the venue were comfortable booking him, they should have stuck to their guns. He's terrible, and just a horrible throwback but ffs, no one was being force marched in to watch him.

Oh, and use of snowflake as a word is only spot on if you're talking about the weather or maybe, at a push, your fluffy childhood pet.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

So i suppose you believe the Charlie Hebdo shootings were justified then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Well I guess that means you're only allowed make fun of white middle class people.

I'm sure there'd be cries of outrage at leaving out minorities if that happened. Some people just live to be offended for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Well I guess that means you're only allowed make fun of white middle class people.

I'm sure there'd be cries of outrage at leaving out minorities if that happened. Some people just live to be offended for others.

https://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tiernans-traveller-joke-leads-to-uproar-27890462.html

Anyone objecting to this...on RTE *gasps*

Small children could have been watching!

But an Irish comedian and not some rude uncouth Brit, so it's ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

Bad enough there's a market for this sh*te, but it shouldnt be shown in a venue that receives public money. We're better than that.

Nothing stopping him moving venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mutant z wrote: »
    So i suppose you believe the Charlie Hebdo shootings were justified then.

That is some fckin leap from what they posted.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

He is appalling. Racist, sexist and more.

I don't like censorship, before I saw who was playing would have said let them perform.

If he is popular enough, which I really hope he is not in Ireland, he can get another venue. Not a publicly funded one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Snowflake mania!

SNOWFLAKES!

SNOWFLAKES!

SNOWFLAKES!

SNOWFLAKES!

The i'm offended brigade are out in force seriously who's forcing anyone to watch it if there's something on the TV you don't like switch channel or turn off the TV if you find a comedy gig offensive then don't attend it can't be more simpler than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The i'm offended brigade are out in force seriously who's forcing anyone to watch it if there's something on the TV you don't like switch channel or turn off the TV if you find a comedy gig offensive then don't attend it can't be more simpler than that.

You're doing it wrong, you have to say SNOWFLAKE!

tigger123 wrote: »
    Bad enough there's a market for this sh*te, but it shouldnt be shown in a venue that receives public money. We're better than that.

I have some bad news for you about how he travels around the country.. You might want to sit down for this one..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Patww79 wrote: »

Cultural appropriation if you ask me.

I was at a rap concert recently and the guy used the 'n word' so many times it was just sick. He didn't think much of honkies and crackas either and don't get me started on his opinion of "b*tches" :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Nobody here saying they're offended by him.

What I do see is an awful lot of irony from people crying that a private organisation cancelled a performer at their business.

Advertisement