Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork snowflakes cancel comedy gig.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

chubby's act is crap tbh. however the reasons for the venue canceling his gig are laughable in the extreme.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Are you homeopathyfobic or what?

Did you just assume his phobias?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Watched this last night: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/has-political-correctness-gone-mad

Well worth watching for anyone who thinks that shutting down everything you are offended by is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I think chubby brown is a relic and his material is offensive but banning him is a joke. If you don't want to listen to him don't go to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

He's not funny, he gets his laughs from being overly crude, insulting and downright ignorant. I'm glad they cancelled his show.

• Advertisement

I'm glad they cancelled his show.

Why? What difference does it make to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The Gammons wont be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

the venue receives public funding OP so it's not just a case of 'if you don't like it, don't go.'

if a bunch of 'snowflakes' wanted to have a, i dunno, snowflake convention, would you as a big anti-snowflake man be happy to subsidize it with your tax money?

no, you'd moan about it. like you moaned about this. because you're not a snowflake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Try_harder wrote: »
    The Gammons wont be happy!

the what?

the venue receives public funding OP so it's not just a case of 'if you don't like it, don't go.'

if a bunch of 'snowflakes' wanted to have a, i dunno, snowflake convention, would you as a big anti-snowflake man be happy to subsidize it with your tax money?

no, you'd moan about it. like you moaned about this. because you're not a snowflake...

Would the snowflake convention be cancelled? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Would the snowflake convention be cancelled? I doubt it.

isnt this the same arena that's giving Louise O Neill a platform to do a play that is a feminist adaptation the little mermaid - they would in their Feck cancel that ….

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

Do snowflakes not realise they can avoid something they find offensive?

Apparently not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

again, when public funding is used the venue has a responsibility to not put on offensive material.

and it's not like this is comedy that is really cleverly irreverent and un-PC it's just lowbrow hamfisted attempts at humor that grows quickly tiresome and is more hateful and inflammatory than funny. lowest common denominator stuff that makes Tommy Tiernan look like Oscar Wilde.

no one has the right to a venue/theatre etc. and arts organizations are basically leading the charge against offensive behavior/language so anyone deemed as engaging in such will have a hard time getting booked.

anyway, he'll likely use it to big himself up ie 'banned from Cork' etc which the buffoons that like his brand of humor will no doubt lap up.

again, when public funding is used the venue has a responsibility to not put on offensive material.

and it's not like this is comedy that is really cleverly irreverent and un-PC it's just lowbrow hamfisted attempts at humor that grows quickly tiresome and is more hateful and inflammatory than funny. lowest common denominator stuff that makes Tommy Tiernan look like Oscar Wilde.

no one has the right to a venue/theatre etc. and arts organizations are basically leading the charge against offensive behavior/language so anyone deemed as engaging in such will have a hard time getting booked.

anyway, he'll likely use it to big himself up ie 'banned from Cork' etc which the buffoons that like his brand of humor will no doubt lap up.

Western liberals are making the Iranian morality police look permissive. What a time to be alive.

I've made this point previously in the thread but I think it's the exact opposite. Privately run venues, just like websites etc., can do what they like.

If you receive public funding, anything legal should be allowed as it's an extension of the state. Posters here have said that some of his material could be deemed illegal, and I think that's a failure of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

People are only snow flakes when it's someone else that is being targeted. I'd like to see how people would feel about this if he was known for making a bunch of racist Irish jokes...and I don't mean paddy jokes, I mean famine jokes and jokes that stem from British colonialism.

I have no problem with gay jokes. In fact most gay men love a good gay joke. There is a reason why Joan Rivers is considered a gay icon even though she made plenty of gay jokes. But there are jokes that are funny or layered or play on stereotypes and there a jokes where you know they come from a place of contempt. The kind of "jokes" many gay teenagers had thrown at them in the school yard. This guy isn't making a commentary on pc culture. He isn't being Ironic. He is just using it as an excuse to say what he wants.

I'm not sure how this ended up being cancelled but if it is down to people complaining then that is also free speech in action. It personally didn't bother me that he was playing the opera house (more concerning that there was a demand for him) but I will say I do find his jokes offensive, I would never pay money to see him and I would probably judge someone if they found him funny.

Something I don't get offended by is being called a snowflake. A completely meaningless, overused term that adds nothing to discussion or debate. It's pretty much the adult version of going "naaa naaaa na naaaa na"

Are snowflakes still snowflakes when its snowing or is there some new newspeak term?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I honestly dont give two Fcuks that the Cork Opera House is funded by public money.

Mr Royston Vasey should do a gig in the Marquee instead :D

People are only snow flakes when it's someone else that is being targeted. I'd like to see how people would feel about this if he was known for making a bunch of racist Irish jokes...and I don't mean paddy jokes, I mean famine jokes and jokes that stem from British colonialism.

I have no problem with gay jokes. In fact most gay men love a good gay joke. There is a reason why Joan Rivers is considered a gay icon even though she made plenty of gay jokes. But there are jokes that are funny or layered or play on stereotypes and there a jokes where you know they come from a place of contempt. The kind of "jokes" many gay teenagers had thrown at them in the school yard. This guy isn't making a commentary on pc culture. He isn't being Ironic. He is just using it as an excuse to say what he wants.

I'm not sure how this ended up being cancelled but if it is down to people complaining then that is also free speech in action. It personally didn't bother me that he was playing the opera house (more concerning that there was a demand for him) but I will say I do find his jokes offensive, I would never pay money to see him and I would probably judge someone if they found him funny.

Something I don't get offended by is being called a snowflake. A completely meaningless, overused term that adds nothing to discussion or debate. It's pretty much the adult version of going "naaa naaaa na naaaa na"

So you are the final arbiter when it comes to deciding what's funny?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

mikeym wrote: »
    I honestly dont give two Fcuks that the Cork Opera House is funded by public money.

Mr Royston Vasey should do a gig in the Marquee instead :D

We'd have him in our Event Centre only...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Pub Landord, Al Murray's character was doing that for years, "if Westlife couldn't sing they'd be tarmaci-ing our drives". People saw it for what it was and either liked it or didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The first time I saw him in that ridiculous outfit twenty odd years ago I thought he was a childrens entertainer. My nephew thought he was hilarious and had some of his videos too so I assumed he was watching a kids comedian. I think it was only a few years ago when I saw a Channel Four documentary about him that I discovered what his brand of comedy was.

He's very unfunny but his fans want some escapism from the politically correct nonsense that's on the likes of the BBC with their diversity quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Free to book where ever he likes, just not at that venue, cause owners dont approve. Wonder what would happen if he wanted a cake.

On what grounds was Roy Chubby Brown discriminated against? I don't think racist stand up comedians were given protected status

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

razorblunt wrote: »
    The Pub Landord, Al Murray's character was doing that for years, "if Westlife couldn't sing they'd be tarmaci-ing our drives". People saw it for what it was and either liked it or didnt.

It's why I said I don't mean paddy jokes. One thing to tell a light hearted stereotypical joke. Another thing to tell a joke about the famine. Not so long ago there was outrage when an Aussie guy joked about Irish people not being able to grow potatoes. I'm sure you will tell me that you don't find that offensive. Fair enough. Neither do I but a lot of Irish people were outraged and I can understand why. It's a stupid insensitive joke, made in poor taste. Imagine someone tried to make jokes like that in the Opera house. It'd be cancelled for their own safety.

It's why I said I don't mean paddy jokes. One thing to tell a light hearted stereotypical joke. Another thing to tell a joke about the famine. Not so long ago there was outrage when an Aussie guy joked about Irish people not being able to grow potatoes. I'm sure you will tell me that you don't find that offensive. Fair enough. Neither do I but a lot of Irish people were outraged and I can understand why. It's a stupid insensitive joke, made in poor taste. Imagine someone tried to make jokes like that in the Opera house. It'd be cancelled for their own safety.

Who gives a ****. People need to stop being delicate. An Aussise makes fun of us? Well fight back. Ask him which Abo is his real dad. He won't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Another thing to tell a joke about the famine.

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

None.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Who gives a ****. People need to stop being delicate. An Aussise makes fun of us? Well fight back. Ask him which Abo is his real dad. He won't like that.

Banned for racial slur

The first time I saw him in that ridiculous outfit twenty odd years ago I thought he was a childrens entertainer. My nephew thought he was hilarious and had some of his videos too so I assumed he was watching a kids comedian. I think it was only a few years ago when I saw a Chanel Four documentary about him that I discovered what his brand of comedy was.

He's very unfunny but his fans want some escapism from the politically correct nonsense that's on the likes of the BBC with their diversity quota.

This is why people like 'offensive' comedy. They're tired of the no-fun sharia police telling them what's acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just to let ye know Freshpopcorn is from Cork and doesn't get offended easily and isn't a snowflake!

Advertisement