Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork snowflakes cancel comedy gig.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Perhaps it’s all just an excuse to get it cancelled as he’s about as funny as a kick in the nuts???

That’ll leave the slot open for someone that the cork folk really love, Pat Shortt or some such....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Mutant z wrote: »
    The i'm offended brigade are out in force seriously who's forcing anyone to watch it if there's something on the TV you don't like switch channel or turn off the TV if you find a comedy gig offensive then don't attend it can't be more simpler than that.

The politically correct offended by everything brigade dont do logic. Never have never well.

They need people to recognise their offense to feel validated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

cantdecide wrote: »
    I was at a rap concert recently and the guy used the 'n word' so many times it was just sick. He didn't think much of honkies and crackas either and don't get me started on his opinion of "b*tches" :(

Is that 'sick' like it made you feel ill? Or 'sick' as in it was very good, like the young people say?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does anyone really care enough about Royston Vassey to actually pay money to get see him these days? I mean I would have thought that the Journal.ie's comments section would have killed off any demand for his 'comedy' seeing as they're giving it away for free every day.

If there's enough demand there to see him, a different venue will be found, one that's not in receipt of public funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

kal7 wrote: »
    He is appalling. Racist, sexist and more.

I don't like censorship, before I saw who was playing would have said let them perform.

If he is popular enough, which I really hope he is not in Ireland, he can get another venue. Not a publicly funded one.

why not publicly funded venues? it is funded by the tax payer, some who will go see his shows and many others like me who abhor this kind of censorship.

Its publicly funded to serve the public not just serving up entertainment that is "right-on".
    Who decides what is proper?? Certainly not his paying fans but probably some gimp(s) who believes they are on a crusade to eliminate wrong-thing and wrong opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Patww79 wrote: »
    Psychics offend me so this needs to be cancelled.

The nations favourite too. I'm glad I now know who our favourite psychic is as I have never heard of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

cantdecide wrote: »
    Cultural appropriation if you ask me.

I was at a rap concert recently and the guy used the 'n word' so many times it was just sick. He didn't think much of honkies and crackas either and don't get me started on his opinion of "b*tches" :(

Hope he didn't invite anyone on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A neighbour of mine is a massive Chubby Brown fan. I’d say he is possibly one of the biggest fans in the country having seen his dvd and video collection etc. he is going to a number of his live shows. At Christmas I was in his house and had a few cans and he had the latest chubby brown dvd on. Not for the faint hearted. Loads of cursing but then again so does prime time RTÉ and bbc shows like missus brown.

The subject matter is often not politically correct though but he seems to have a big audience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

https://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tiernans-traveller-joke-leads-to-uproar-27890462.html

Anyone objecting to this...on RTE *gasps*

Small children could have been watching!

But an Irish comedian and not some rude uncouth Brit, so it's ok?

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Roy Chubby Brown is a character. Royston Vassey is just playing an act. Like Ali G or Alan Partridge.

A lot of people don't find Chubby Brown funny anymore but he was huge at one stage. The Irish were the butt of his joke many a time.

I don't agree with them cancelling it as they booked him in the first place and the act hasn't changed in over 30 years.

There's a good Ch4 documentary on him called 'Britain's Rudest Comedian'. Seems he just started doing the rude jokes as clean material wasn't working and even he feels like it's just got out of hand now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

pitifulgod wrote: »
    He sounds like a prick... "He has previously been banned from performing at a number of local authority owned venues in the UK. His routines have involved jokes about Islam, asylum seekers and members of the LGBT community."

Sounds like you wouldn't like his routine. Amazingly, you wouldn't be dragged there at gun point. Mad, isn't it!? Furthermore, others might like that style of show though. This is all shocking, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Am I the only who read it as; “cornflakes cancel comedy gig?”

https://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tiernans-traveller-joke-leads-to-uproar-27890462.html

Anyone objecting to this...on RTE *gasps*

Small children could have been watching!

But an Irish comedian and not some rude uncouth Brit, so it's ok?

Yeah.....loads of people it says so in the first paragraph....."COMEDIAN Tommy Tiernan's Traveller skit on The Late Late Show has caused uproar among the public with RTE receiving a number of complaints over the comments."

Then there's the headline "Tiernan's Traveller joke leads to uproar"

So I have to ask, ehhhh, what's your point caller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Is he not a bit... 'working class'... for an opera house? Can't help wondering if that's the real reason for the cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah.....loads of people it says so in the first paragraph....."COMEDIAN Tommy Tiernan's Traveller skit on The Late Late Show has caused uproar among the public with RTE receiving a number of complaints over the comments."

Then there's the headline "Tiernan's Traveller joke leads to uproar"

So I have to ask, ehhhh, what's your point caller?

He will get invited back again, no doubt. Not banned off RTE outright.

Seems like everyone forgot his previous controversial material and expected him to do mother-in-law jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

mad muffin wrote: »
    Am I the only who read it as; “cornflakes cancel comedy gig?”

I didn't read it like that but I was expecting cornflakes somewhere in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Tommy Tiernan has been banned from playing, doubt he could get into Israel either
    The “scandalous Irish comic” made the front page of the Jerusalem Post, tours were cancelled in North America and boycotts were organised.

Don't agree with the cancelling of the show, comedians have a right to offend. The guy also has a few extra pounds and the whole audience chant 'You fat bastard, you fat bastard, you fat bastard' how dya think that makes him feel???? Yeah he doesn't give a f@k,cause he has a hard neck, a thing most people should aim for

Let's not pretend that oul' Royston is banned from Ireland. He's had a gig cancelled in an arena that's funded by public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-opera-house-cancels-offensive-roy-chubby-brown-gig-844698.html

Cork Opera House has cancelled a gig by a comedian whose humour has been described as “repulsive” and “offensive” by city councillors, writes Rob McNamara of the Evening Echo.
    UK-based Royston Vasey, who performs under the stage name of Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown, was due to perform at the venue on June 10.
    Cork Opera House had billed the show as containing “politically incorrect jokes” that are “delivered with a cheeky grin and perfect comedy timing”.
    The management of Cork Opera House — which receives arts grants from Cork City and County Councils and also programme funding from the Arts Council for certain cultural events — has decided to cancel the show deeming it “unsuitable” for a venue that receives public funding.

If you don't like it, don't go to it.
    If it was Tommy Tiernan, who some also find offensive, would the gig be cancelled??

maybe it was cancelled on grounds of false trade description...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

pitifulgod wrote: »
    He sounds like a prick... "He has previously been banned from performing at a number of local authority owned venues in the UK. His routines have involved jokes about Islam, asylum seekers and members of the LGBT community."

What criteria places a group of people beyond laughter?

Not my cupán tae this act, but I'm not looking for it to be stopped on that basis. Would be a restraint of freedom of speech.

Which is juicily ironic when people campaign for things such as:
    • Freedom of religion
    • Freedom of movement and freedom of conscience
    • Sexual freedom

TLDR: Some agendists have no integrity and are in fact, upon inspection, screeching hypocrits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

I know he is meant to be playing a character, and I am fine with most blue and risky material from comedians, but I know several people in UK who love him and attend his gigs. They are not taking his humor as irony, they are very happy to lap up the sexist and racist stuff along with like minded crowd.

Go if you want, but I am glad the venue had a change of mind.

Good to discuss, this stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

there's more danger in normalising the idea of cancelling shows due to potential 'offense' than in anything he could say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jaysus - I thought he was long dead!

I have to say he is one of the worst "comedians" I've ever heard. I have no problem with him being rude or offensive - you can be offensive and funny (think Frankie Boyle, or even Jimmy Carr to an extent) -but Roy, he's not funny, he's not even amusing, he's just a prick!

But...would I ban him - No, of course not. If we were to ban all pricks from performing, most of showbiz would have to stop dead in it's tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm in no way a fan of his, I find him unfunny, dated and a one trick pony. I also dislike the way he says "oh its just a character I'm not like I'm married, with daughters" yet he never says no to the cash.

I don't agree it should have been cancelled, it's a publicly funded building, surely that means a wide variety of acts should be allowed on and the public can decide themselves if its worth viewing.

The COH shot themselves in the foot a bit here too, as they knew what he was about when they booked and also there's no way he'd have sold out a venue of that size. Announce the gig is cancelled due to poor sales, let him play a bingo hall like he does elsewhere. This just gives my media coverage and publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,324 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have to say he is one of the worst "comedians" I've ever heard. I have no problem with him being rude or offensive - you can be offensive and funny (think Frankie Boyle, or even Jimmy Carr to an extent) -but Roy, he's not funny, he's not even amusing, he's just a prick!

But...would I ban him - No, of course not. If we were to ban all pricks from performing, most of showbiz would have to stop dead in it's tracks.

TBH i have found Boyle much cruder in his live act than i've ever seen from Chubby Brown but he is always funny with it. Chubby hasn't been funny in donkeys years. I'm shocked that the promoters think he could fill the Opera House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    He's in our local town hall here in mayo, I never heard of him.
    Looked him on youtube, thought his jokes were sh1t and just being a pr1ck to be funny.

So I:
    A) contacted the townhall immediately saying how outraged I was that he was playing in their venue.
    B) Didn't go to the gig.

I went with option b for those who cant follow sarcasm online

Haha. He's awful though right? I mean horrendously, almost unwatchably, bad and unfunny.

I went with option A though. I've been feeling down lately and nothing lifts the spirits like my social media "friends" patting me on the back for a job well done.

I'll sleep easy in my bed knowing that no jokes about Islam, asylum seekers and members of the LGBT community have been made this day.

Now, thank my post because I'm the hero you need but not the hero you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

topper75 wrote: »
    What criteria places a group of people beyond laughter?

Not my cupán tae this act, but I'm not looking for it to be stopped on that basis. Would be a restraint of freedom of speech.

Which is juicily ironic when people campaign for things such as:
    • Freedom of religion
    • Freedom of movement and freedom of conscience
    • Sexual freedom

TLDR: Some agendists have no integrity and are in fact, upon inspection, screeching hypocrits.

Do you think someone coming on stage and screaming the N-word over and over again is funny? Is it acceptable.

Now I might disagree with him but I think he should be allowed perform. I also think a venue is allowed refuse him. There's no law saying that racists have to be given stage time. He isn't being fined or being charged with anything. There's no law against his act. It's just that they cancelled him and they're allowed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Is it Bernard Matthews you're thinking of?
    I didn't like Bernard Matthews material but he had a very quick wit. He was a very funny smart guy who unfortunately did racist material.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I read the title as Corl cornflakes, and thought ' That lot would really claim anything as part of their separatist movement'.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    Is it Bernard Matthews you're thinking of?
    I didn't like Bernard Matthews material but he had a very quick wit. He was a very funny smart guy who unfortunately did racist material.

Plus his Turkey Twizzlers were great, until that prick Jamie Oliver came along and ruined everything.

Advertisement