Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork snowflakes cancel comedy gig.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That's LGBTQI+ you transphobic bigot ! :p

LGBTOMGWTFBBQ+

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That's LGBTQI+ you transphobic bigot ! :p
    LGBTOMGWTFBBQ+

I see both of you don't give a damn about the Minuses, you bloody polarists!

lawred2 wrote: »
    if they were doing so in public to an audience then probably yeah..

How about a far right wing politician whose views could ultimately be boiled down to racism?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What is this stupid country turning into..you can't say booh about anyone but everybody is up in arms..it's a country of political correctness gone mad.. I went to see chubby in Dublins Olympia years ago and found him funny as did the vast majority of the audience.. when you go to his shows you know what to expect so if you find him offensive don't go ,but why ban him?

Do you notice who's throwing a wobbler in this thread? It's the people who think he should play.

Also, he's not banned. No-one has banned him. He's free to find another venue and perform. He can tell all the jokes he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Fro this point onward we should abbreviate cork snowflakes as cornflakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Yes, that is exactly my point.

As to your first paragraph, neither racism or abortion is seditious.

inciting or causing people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

But by giving a government or its agencies power over what bad taste is, they can say anything is whatever they want. Your argument that they haven't done this yet is irrelevant.
    The government saying "supporting abortion and advocating it is inciting violence against unborn children", and then making it illegal to support it, is the same as this comedian getting his show cancelled because it "incites violence", which you described in your third paragraph.

I know you don't think he's inciting violence, but it is the justification you're using for banning something you find offensive.

What? Yeah of course I find it offensive I find alot of things offensive but don't get a bee in my bonnet about it. Racism is the topic we’re talking about here and racism leads to an us vs them attitude. The standup isn’t inciting violence but he’s certainly using a subject matter which has always been associated with extreme violence. I find it offensive like anyone because why the hell does he even get a voice. A voice used to casually use racism as if it's ok when it's not.

No my argument that they haven’t done anything yet is not irrelevant, infact it makes it totally relevant and proves my point and negates yours. The one that believes that the government would have agency over what can and can’t be said. Well they haven’t done anything and it’s there in black and white very reasonably that one cannot go around inciting hatred.

There are some things like racism that should not be allowed in any shape or form spoken or actionable through violence in society. We all want to live in a world where you feel as an equal in society and that can’t be realised if one and their neighbour can go out and start holding rally’s denouncing people on the basis of their race or sexual orientation. There are clear defined lines of what is and isn't hate speech in Ireland:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/section/1/enacted/en/html#sec1

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

lawred2 wrote: »
    if they were doing so in public to an audience then probably yeah..

Hmm I remember a comedy group being banned here previously - i think they made a joke out of everything including religion. You may have heard of them as they're pretty acceptable now - Monty Python ring any bells?

I wonder if we should reinstate the ban on them again as they can be seen as offensive by some!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

He's not funny at all, however he should be allowed to perform his show, whether or not people get offended, that is their problem

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Surely true equality means that everyone can be made fun of.

He cracks jokes (and remember that's all they are, jokes) about everything.

I'm sure many of the protesters would laugh their heads off at his Catholic material.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I'm sure many of the protesters would laugh their heads off at his Catholic material.

Sure Catholic bashing is grand, nothing like a good nun shoot to draw a crowd nowadays but you dare not criticize the gheys or foridners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Bit strange to cancel the show alright.
    For all the people freaking about political correctness, he does have 5 other shows in Ireland coming up.
    One venue cancelling a show does not equate to political correctness gone mad.

Triangle wrote: »
    Hmm I remember a comedy group being banned here previously - i think they made a joke out of everything including religion. You may have heard of them as they're pretty acceptable now - Monty Python ring any bells?

I wonder if we should reinstate the ban on them again as they can be seen as offensive by some!!!

No-ones been banned now. And I'm not sure if monty python were every actually banned. one of their movies were but that's not the same as banning them.

And for a comparison, that movie was banned in every cinema by government order. Roy Chubby Brown has been refused by a single theatre.

Scenario 1. Government bans something and forbids the showing of a movie at every cinema in Ireland.

Scenario 2. Government does absolutely nothing. Nothing is banned. Theatre is free to choose what they show. they chose not to show a particular comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Same as Mannings "act" ripped the sh1t out of everybody including himself

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Grayson wrote: »
    Do you notice who's throwing a wobbler in this thread? It's the people who think he should play.

Also, he's not banned. No-one has banned him. He's free to find another venue and perform. He can tell all the jokes he wants.
    Well it does annoy me in fairness, although it's not a country wide ban he has been banned from the Cork venue, and at the end of the day it is only "jokes" as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

vetinari wrote: »
    Bit strange to cancel the show alright.
    For all the people freaking about political correctness, he does have 5 other shows in Ireland coming up.
    One venue cancelling a show does not equate to political correctness gone mad.

We'll have none of your common sense on this thread, thankyouverymuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Never been a big fan of Roy myself although enjoyed Manning, Reid and some others from that era but the fact that they find Roy's Shtick personally offensive yet they welcome someone who openly profits of bereavement relative's https://www.corkoperahouse.ie/event/psychic-sally/2018-10-22/ I find more offensive so please lets ban her. I mean have you ever seen her reality show tackles doesn't even begin to describe it and knows full well what BS she's spouting. For all that's wrong with Roy's act I highly doubt he goes to sleep at night harbouring anything he says on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

begbysback wrote: »
    pitifulgod wrote: »
    He sounds like a prick... "He has previously been banned from performing at a number of local authority owned venues in the UK. His routines have involved jokes about Islam, asylum seekers and members of the LGBT community."

Well if your gay Islamic asylum seeker then maybe avoid it?
    If you're a gay islamist you'd be foolish not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Triangle wrote: »

Actually I think you'll find that racism is generally found offensive by more than just some.. Maybe you don't find racism (even when it's dressed up as 'comedy') offensive but more than some people do.

Also your premise here is that at some time in the future old Chubby's brand of 'comedy' will again find general acceptance like Monty Python's brand of irreverent (not racist mind you) comedy now does.. I doubt that.

Our in the church pocket bead rattling politicians trying to censor Monty Python is not the same as seeking to censor racists seeking a public audience so as to be racist.

Having said all that - I wouldn't really care if his show went ahead. Nor would I cry for the old racist if every one of his shows were cancelled.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    What? Yeah of course I find it offensive I find alot of things offensive but don't get a bee in my bonnet about it. Racism is the topic we’re talking about here and racism leads to an us vs them attitude. The standup isn’t inciting violence but he’s certainly using a subject matter which has always been associated with extreme violence. I find it offensive like anyone because why the hell does he even get a voice. A voice used to casually use racism as if it's ok when it's not.

No my argument that they haven’t done anything yet is not irrelevant, infact it makes it totally relevant and proves my point and negates yours. The one that believes that the government would have agency over what can and can’t be said. Well they haven’t done anything and it’s there in black and white very reasonably that one cannot go around inciting hatred.

There are some things like racism that should not be allowed in any shape or form spoken or actionable through violence in society. We all want to live in a world where you feel as an equal in society and that can’t be realised if one and their neighbour can go out and start holding rally’s denouncing people on the basis of their race or sexual orientation. There are clear defined lines of what is and isn't hate speech in Ireland:

Well that's the source of our disagreement.

I think spoken racism should be allowed and the people who speak it be lambasted by the rest of society. That's not to say that I think people should be allowed to start rallies etc. since that would likely result in incitement. But things like low brow comedy that involves racism shouldn't be banned imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Cienciano wrote: »
    No. He's free to book where ever he likes and the owners of those venues are free to not book him if they don't want to. If he's playing in your local town hall, you're free to protest, or you're free to turn up and support him. But no, he's not banned.

Free to book where ever he likes, just not at that venue, cause owners dont approve. Wonder what would happen if he wanted a cake.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Why I don't understand is why the offended brigade can't just object by not attending the show. If people want to attend, let them.

neirbloom wrote: »
    Never been a big fan of Roy myself although enjoyed Manning, Reid and some others from that era but the fact that they find Roy's Shtick personally offensive yet they welcome someone who openly profits of bereavement relative's https://www.corkoperahouse.ie/event/psychic-sally/2018-10-22/ I find more offensive so please lets ban her. I mean have you ever seen her reality show tackles doesn't even begin to describe it and knows full well what BS she's spouting. For all that's wrong with Roy's act I highly doubt he goes to sleep at night harbouring anything he says on stage.

If I could ban psychics i would. The same with homeopathy. It's not about being offended, they are simply fraudulent. And no, before anyone replies, that doesn't make me a snowflake. It's just that what they sell is less than worthless and they con people into thinking otherwise.

chrissb8 wrote: »

Oh ffs it's an act, just like Bernard Manning was an act. Manning was constantly smeared as a racist by middle class liberals, but his next door neighbour, an Indian doctor, wrote an obituary following his death saying he was a great neighbor, and that he found his act funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If I could ban psychics i would. The same with homeopathy. It's not about being offended, they are simply fraudulent. And no, before anyone replies, that doesn't make me a snowflake. It's just that what they sell is less than worthless and they con people into thinking otherwise.

If they were really psychic, they'd just do the lotto whenever they need a bit of cash, and then they wouldn't have to go to places like Cork.

Oh ffs it's an act, just like Bernard Manning was an act. Manning was constantly smeared as a racist by middle class liberals, but his next door neighbour, an Indian doctor, wrote an obituary following his death saying he was a great neighbor, and that he found his act funny.

That's a weird argument though. You're kinda accepting that racism is wrong but at the same time saying that someone can say something racist so long as their not racist.

I posted a link to Chubby Browns show a few pages back. It's pretty nasty in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Why I don't understand is why the offended brigade can't just object by not attending the show. If people want to attend, let them.

Its noy about offence. Its about conforming to their way of thinking how the world should be.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

That's a weird argument though. You're kinda accepting that racism is wrong but at the same time saying that someone can say something racist so long as their not racist.

I posted a link to Chubby Browns show a few pages back. It's pretty nasty in places.

I think making jokes about other races is funny and people shouldn't take it so seriously. Bernard Manning had plenty of jokes that played on Irish stereotypes but I still found them funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭aziz

I remember seeing a psychic in Waterford about 15 years ago,can not remember her name but see was a older woman and the show was a complete farce.
    She was addressing a group of women in the front row with the usual "I sense a great loss" line and one of them was nodding her head,she continued with " I getting a sense of that it was sudden and unexpected and now I'm getting a name,does Roger mean anything"
    Then the women started laughing and one shouted back " yeah Roger was the dog"
    The look on her face was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Are you homeopathyfobic or what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looking at the Olympia gig tickets, there are rather a lot still available for a show that's in just over 2 weeks.

Looney snowflakes, or crap ticket sales?
    Nice bit of publicity it's all getting now.
    Qui bono.

Advertisement