Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 people shot dead in Texas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You don't live in America you don't get it. I'm sorry but it's just that simple.

Well clearly neither do you if you are claiming their health system is better and they don't have a homeless problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Greysquirel09

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Well clearly neither do you if you are claiming their health system is better and they don't have a homeless problem.

Homeless problem among middle class.. oops I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are copycat killings. Stop giving the killers notoriety and they will reduce.

They are copycat killings. Stop giving the killers notoriety and they will reduce.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,204 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Homeless problem among middle class.. oops I said it.

You've said a lot of oopsworthy things

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    You've said a lot of oopsworthy things

It's very difficult to argue a point on these threads with people who have no lived experience or cop on of situation. Saying our healthcare is better than America. I mean that's just embarrassing.

It's very difficult to argue a point on these threads with people who have no lived experience or cop on of situation. Saying our healthcare is better than America. I mean that's just embarrassing.

You've clearly no idea how the US healthcare system works. Thank god for Ireland's public healthcare system.

You're embarrassing yourself here. Go read a book before replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You've clearly no idea how the US healthcare system works. Thank god for Ireland's public healthcare system.

I wouldn't be thanking anyone for our public health system.

It's barely average at best by European standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

America's school shootings are a lot more complicated than just copycat killings, and sadly such events will not be prevented from happening again, for the foreseeable future

lawred2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be thanking anyone for our public health system.

It's barely average at best by European standards.

Perhaps but Ameica's is the poster boy for failed inefficient healthcare that costs far too much for far too little benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Good point.

yeah, sweeping a problem under the carpet makes it go away.

One thing that I think needs to happen, is that these people need to be captured alive, prosecuted and given life sentences with no chance of parole.

These school shooters are often elaborate suicide attempts. The shooters assume they're going to be shot dead by the police so they never get to experience the consequences of their actions.

This is the first instance in a long time that the shooter has been captured alive. This 17 year old might have thought his life sucked before he did this. Well, the rest of his life is going to be in a cage in a brutal and unforgiving federal prison system.

I know exactly how it works thank you very much I've been through the system. Talking about the standards and level of care. Thank god for Ireland's public healthcare system... after what's been going on the last month in this country. I'm not going to go on I'll just give you a chance to withdraw it.

Akrasia wrote: »
    yeah, sweeping a problem under the carpet makes it go away.

One thing that I think needs to happen, is that these people need to be captured alive, prosecuted and given life sentences with no chance of parole.

These school shooters are often elaborate suicide attempts. The shooters assume they're going to be shot dead by the police so they never get to experience the consequences of their actions.

This is the first instance in a long time that the shooter has been captured alive. This 17 year old might have thought his life sucked before he did this. Well, the rest of his life is going to be in a cage in a brutal and unforgiving federal prison system.

Last shooter was caught alive also in Florida.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Around the same number if not more children have been killed (edit) by guns in the US since Sandy Hook (five and a half years) than US military members have died on duty since 9/11 (just shy of seventeen years)... and this article is from before this latest shooting.

http://www.newsweek.com/gun-violence-children-killed-sandy-hook-military-soldiers-war-terror-911-848602
    The report accounts for total deaths in the five military operations since the war on terror began following the September 11, 2001 attacks through 10 a.m. EST Thursday, March 15. Over 17 years of combat, the U.S. has lost 6,929 soldiers. Including Department of Defense civilians killed overseas, that number grows to 6,950.

In the five years and three months since the December 14, 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook in Newtown, Connecticut, when 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed 20 first graders and six adults with an AR-15-style rifle, about 7,000 children have died by gunfire. Though the exact figure is unclear, it rivals the tally of U.S. military deaths overseas—in 11 fewer years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭tinpib

Billy86 wrote: »
    Around the same number if not more children have been killed in school in the US since Sandy Hook

No, it's that more children have been killed by gunfire, not children killed in schools.

Still a shocking figure no matter what way you look at it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Apologies, skimmed over that and missed it - have edited now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Imagine all the junkies around the quays in dublin had guns, this would happen every day

well no,

the average junkie has convictions for either drugs or violent crime

that would disqualify them from legally owning a firearm as it does in ireland

im most states the punishments for a felon being caught with a fire arm are long jail terms and they actually serve them in america

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

And still Trump will do f*ck all

RIP those victims

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

RIP those victims

This is beyond Trump, it's their culture sure.

They need to tear up that country and start again. A factory reset.

RIP those victims

Ah it's Trumps fault now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

mynamejeff wrote: »
    well no,

the average junkie has convictions for either drugs or violent crime

that would disqualify them from legally owning a firearm as it does in ireland

im most states the punishments for a felon being caught with a fire arm are long jail terms and they actually serve them in america

And it's working fabulously! A resounding, 100% success.
    In the five years and three months since the December 14, 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook in Newtown, Connecticut, when 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed 20 first graders and six adults with an AR-15-style rifle, about 7,000 children have died by gunfire.

America is just a culture of violence.
    Their entire culture is based on violence, it is the preferred method of conflict resolution.
    It amazes me that there are no travel advisories for the US, it's the most violent country in the developed world and vast swathes of it now look like the 3rd world.
    It is a country for the top 10% and everyone else is completely unimportant. Their healthcare, social and educational systems tell you that. And their gun death statistics.
    Not only does the ruling elite have no interest in changing this, it's in their interest to keep the 90% dumb and uninformed.
    How else do you get turkeys to consistencies vote for Christmas every single time.

Anyways, nothing will change. America is in love with it's gun culture and yes, guns are more important than children, you'd have to be a grade A moron to pretend otherwise.
    A lot of lip service "of course we value the lives of our children", but nothing changes, so that is just bulls*t and waffle.
    If they cared, they would do something.

I know exactly how it works thank you very much I've been through the system. Talking about the standards and level of care. Thank god for Ireland's public healthcare system... after what's been going on the last month in this country. I'm not going to go on I'll just give you a chance to withdraw it.

You're very lucky to either have had the money or the health insurance to go through the US health system so. Youre clearly clueless about the millions of people that cant even access healthcare in the states.

You can stop talking absolute horse ****e now. Ireland's system isn't perfect, but at least it's a public system with the same level of access for every citizen. Rather than the US where the richer you are the better care you receive and the poor can **** off.

Is there some president he should be living up to in this regard?

You're very lucky to either have had the money or the health insurance to go through the US health system so. Youre clearly clueless about the millions of people that cant even access healthcare in the states.

You can stop talking absolute horse ****e now. Ireland's system isn't perfect, but at least it's a public system with the same level of access for every citizen. Rather than the US where the richer you are the better care you receive and the poor can **** off.

Are you for real?? 90% of people have health insurance in the USA it's not some unaffordable system that only millionaires access. You've absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Everybody who is in need of medical care gets it. The poor are at a major disadvantage there no doubt. Same as this bleeding kip we live in here. Seriously stop spouting nonsense. The standard and service and range of medical in the USA is far superior. I don't see too many sob stories on American tv of people saying we can only get this operation done in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with this statement. I'm fairly sure most gun owners are parents and that they value their children's lives.

Just because you like guns doesn't mean that you don't value the life of a child.

As individuals yes but as a society no.

How many kids lives would be saved annually if it was mandatory for gun owners to keep their guns securely locked and ammunition stored separately.

How many toddlers have shot toddlers because someone feels the need to exercise their "right" to keep a loaded firearm within reach at all times.

Gun owners rights seem to trump children's rights, or that's how it seems to me anyway.

Are you for real?? 90% of people have health insurance in the USA it's not some unaffordable system that only millionaires access. You've absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Everybody who is in need of medical care gets it. The poor are at a major disadvantage there no doubt. Same as this bleeding kip we live in here. Seriously stop spouting nonsense. The standard and service and range of medical in the USA is far superior. I don't see too many sob stories on American tv of people saying we can only get this operation done in Ireland!

Sure as long as it's only 10% (30 million people!) that can **** off in the states that's alright so. Every single citizen in Ireland can access the public system.

And speaking of homeless, I haven't seen 100s of people living under bridges in homeless societies burning rubbish in a barrel in Ireland any time lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I never used to buy into the argument that the news coverage promoted this type of carnage, but I do now. It's now an ingrained trend, ever nut job with a gun now feels compelled to go out on a killing spree.

At one stage doing something like this would gain you infamy, now it's so common place, by the time the next one happens, your forgotten about.

Civilians don't need assault rifles, but the gun fan boys will try persuade you an AR 15 and the likes are not one. These type of guns have no business in the hands of civilians.

Stricter gun controls will help, if they save one life, the inconvenience towards the general public are worth it.

When a gun nuts start arguing that you should ban cars and anything else that can kill, they simply look over the fact that guns where invented to kill people. It's like saying breathing air is killing me, so ban breathing. It's a ridiculous argument coming from someone who hasn't got a leg to stand on and is throwing sh1t at an argument and hoping some sticks.

This type of carnage will continue until you remove the one common denominator - Guns. But alas, that won't happen, so the cycle continues and always will.

But I believe tighter gun controls can help.

Sure as long as it's only 10% (30 million people!) that can **** off in the states that's alright so. Every single citizen in Ireland can access the public system.

And speaking of homeless, I haven't seen 100s of people living under bridges in homeless societies burning rubbish in a barrel in Ireland any time lately.

No one is refused medical care in the United States will you get that into your head. They get bills of many thousands of dollars which are written off by the hospitals or by government insurance now please stop trying to continue this ridiculous argument and get back on topic. Burning rubbish in barrels you actually have me laughing you must be watching either Rocky or Trading places. Please get back on topic you are talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

hgfj wrote: »
    Thanks for the assurance. Feel a lot safer now. Whew! (wipes sweat off brow.)

and his exact location please to avoid.

• Advertisement

No one is refused medical care in the United States will you get that into your head. They get bills of many thousands of dollars which are written off by the hospitals or by government insurance now please stop trying to continue this ridiculous argument and get back on topic. Burning rubbish in barrels you actually have me laughing you must be watching either Rocky or Trading places. Please get back on topic you are talking nonsense.

Ahahahahaha what nonsense told you this?

Advertisement