Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 people shot dead in Texas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

BattleCorp wrote:
    I have 7 guns here in Ireland, 3 of which are semi automatic. All are fully licensed. I don't have 30 round magazines but I do have 10 round magazines. I have 2 .357 calibre guns. I don't carry any of them around. My guns are used at the range only.

Slow...hand....clap....well....done...you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Great contribution, did you type it all yourself? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

pjohnson wrote: »
    What if she doesn't want to tote a gun? Would that be allowed or must she have a gun?

Her choice. I would certainly never force a firearm onto someone, even though I may recommend or advise.

However, I would rather she had the ability to make that choice than not. The position of others is that her ability to choose is removed from the table.
    Ever think about moving somewhere that doesn't make you think your office is unsafe because you are not all carrying weapons, or somewhere that your daughter doesn't have to carry a weapon in future?

Where? California, the old location of my office? We have workplace shootings here as well. Ireland? Didn't I see a thread on AH this week asking about carrying Mace around? Why, if there is no risk of attack somewhere safer?

The reality is that violence and criminality happens. The questions are "How often does it happen", and "what can I do about it if it happens to me?".

The San Francisco area county in which I live (Contra Costa) has had one murder per 100,000 citizens so far this year (11 murders, pop 1.1mil). I am not permitted to carry a firearm, there are no signs up anywhere saying "Can't carry here". My office is in Austin, TX, Travis County. Homicide rate thus far this year is exactly the same. (12 murders, pop 1.2mil). So you may -feel- safer here in the Bay Area than in Texas because you are not reminded that people may legally carry firearms, but are you actually safer because of it?

And when the probabilities do catch up with you, even if it's in a safe place like Dublin, saying "Well, that's a statistical aberration" is not much of a consolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

We're with you in this tragic hour and we will be with you forever. My administration is determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools, and to keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves and to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Shooting suspect already identified which is very quick. Apparently a neo Nazi (potentially another far right terror attack, like other recent mass shootings) as well, with him posting Nazi iconography on social media.

On mobile so not sure link will work:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/dimitrios-pagourtzis-reportedly-idd-as-santa-fe-texas-shooting-suspect?ref=home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I have 7 guns here in Ireland, 3 of which are semi automatic. All are fully licensed. I don't have 30 round magazines but I do have 10 round magazines. I have 2 .357 calibre guns. I don't carry any of them around. My guns are used at the range only.

I can assure you that all schools around me are at no risk of me going on a shooting spree. I have been vetted by the Gardai and I have been stamped sane. :-)

If a person is sane, responsible, law abiding and keeps their guns safely stored, then I have no problem with that.

But paddock was a man in his 60s and never was in trouble with the law and look what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

We're with you in this tragic hour and we will be with you forever. My administration is determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools, and to keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves and to others.

Meanwhile his propaganda network and fellow party members aren't quite done mocking and attacking the survivors of the last school shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Meanwhile his propaganda network and fellow party members aren't quite done mocking and attacking the survivors of the last school shooting

not so sure about that, but his words are hollow & meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

I can assure you that all schools around me are at no risk of me going on a shooting spree. I have been vetted by the Gardai and I have been stamped sane. :-)

If a person is sane, responsible, law abiding and keeps their guns safely stored, then I have no problem with that.

Thanks for the assurance. Feel a lot safer now. Whew! (wipes sweat off brow.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hitman3000 wrote: »

I was asked a question and I answered it.

Guns can be owned safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was asked a question and I answered it.

Guns can be owned safely.

We know

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gun nuts and the NRA love this stuff. Plenty of weasel words but ultimately this is good for business.

Especially with a lunatic in the White House who does kindergarten gun actions during speeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

People asking when will this end.

If school kids and adults who want gun control refuse to go to school or work until there are millions not going to school or work this issue would be resolved in a fortnight. Unfortunately those that want want gun control march, send tweets and make speeches instead and the NRA laugh into their sleeves.

Hit America’s economy and this becomes the presidents & political problem. Right now it’s just a private citizen’s problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The San Francisco area county in which I live (Contra Costa) has had one murder per 100,000 citizens so far this year (11 murders, pop 1.1mil). I am not permitted to carry a firearm, there are no signs up anywhere saying "Can't carry here". My office is in Austin, TX, Travis County. Homicide rate thus far this year is exactly the same. (12 murders, pop 1.2mil). So you may -feel- safer here in the Bay Area than in Texas because you are not reminded that people may legally carry firearms, but are you actually safer because of it?

And when the probabilities do catch up with you, even if it's in a safe place like Dublin, saying "Well, that's a statistical aberration" is not much of a consolation.

I remember reading in the last week that the murder rate for San Francisco was twice that of Dublin (Ireland).

I googled Contra Costa. It's not San Francisco. It's a rather larger but suburban area. I've been around Dublin (for everyone else it's a town in that county) and Danville and Walnut Creak. It's very different to San Francisco. So are you comparing ,like with like when you compare Where you live with Austin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

badtoro wrote:
    Great contribution, did you type it all yourself?

Y..e...a...h..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

You need to google what a strawman argument is.

He really needs to up his troll game. Tonight in particular has been nothing but low energy guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Silane wrote: »
    It blows my mind that Irish people think they can tell Americans what to do, when alcohol in Ireland kills more people per capita then guns murders in America. It also costs our economy massive amounts in lost productivity and the burden on the emergency services is massive. It's also probably a factor in most murders here, and then there's the domestic and sexual abuse that also goes along with it.

But hey, not everybody abuses alcohol here, most people use it responsibly, plus its just part of our culture, so it's grand. (Where have we heard that before?)

Yes.......but you can't turn multiple people into alcoholics against their will from 40yards away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Dots1982 wrote: »

If school kids and adults who want gun control refuse to go to school or work until there are millions not going to school or work this issue would be resolved in a fortnight. Unfortunately those that want want gun control march, send tweets and make speeches instead and the NRA laugh into their sleeves.

Hit America’s economy and this becomes the presidents & political problem. Right now it’s just a private citizen’s problem.

While watching the news on this this evening, I was thinking the same, if people stayed away from school and college, it would make them sit up and listen to large numbers, then it would show that people are afraid to enter schools and colleges due to these gun laws, I would be afraid if I had children in education in America, to send them to school, would worry each day that they would come home unharmed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Grayson wrote: »
    I remember reading in the last week that the murder rate for San Francisco was twice that of Dublin (Ireland).

I googled Contra Costa. It's not San Francisco. It's a rather larger but suburban area. I've been around Dublin (for everyone else it's a town in that county) and Danville and Walnut Creak. It's very different to San Francisco. So are you comparing ,like with like when you compare Where you live with Austin?

It's where I am vs where my office is. Seemed more appropriate to give places relevant to my actual life than academic numbers pulled from a table.

However, if you must have the San Francisco figures, there have been 12 homicides since Jan 1st (same as Travis County), but the county population is only 865,000.

Could be worse. Alameda County, between me and SF, is running at 27 murders out of 1.6mil people. Oakland accounts for 21 of those. (420,000 pop).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

goat2 wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »

While watching the news on this this evening, I was thinking the same, if people stayed away from school and college, it would make them sit up and listen to large numbers, then it would show that people are afraid to enter schools and colleges due to these gun laws, I would be afraid if I had children in education in America, to send them to school, would worry each day that they would come home unharmed

When the Florida school reopened after that massacre 95% of students turned up for the first day back.

Those kids, going back to walk around those corridors for hours a day a few weeks after that horror. They shouldn’t have being anywhere near it in my opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/10/04/too-close-to-current-shooting-next-shooting-to-talk-about-gun-control-us-politicians-confirm/
    LEADING politicians in America have helpfully lectured anyone asking for legislative change to gun laws to take a long, hard look at themselves as it is simply too soon to discuss the matter, owing to the fact it is too close to the current and next mass shooting tragedies.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/11/16/poll-what-is-your-favourite-us-mass-shooting-so-far-this-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

Oh yeah im going around shooting people with my pint on a saturday night.
    I go shooting all the time and I've never shot anybody so by your logic guns aren't a problem either.
    People kill themselves with drink they generally dont kill others and never on a scale like guns do.

http://alcoholireland.ie/facts/case-studies-kids/
    "Almost half of the perpetrators of homicide were intoxicated when the crime was committed"

"One in eleven, or approximately 318,000 of the full adult population, said that they or a family member were assaulted by someone under the influence of alcohol in the past year"

I'm not saying guns aren't an issue in America, I'm just saying I think it's funny that Irish people think they're somehow more enlightened than Americans when we have our own similar problems which we defend with the exact same logic as Americans who support guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Is it just me or did that statement by the sheriff sound like he was trying not to offend gun owners? "Neither of these weapons were owned or legally possessed by the shooter". No, they belonged to his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,151 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's getting harder and harder to feel any shock after these shootings

As hard as it is to hear about innocent people getting murdered, it's quite clear thata lot of Americans, and especially those with power, are dumb enough to not see a problem with the amount of guns in their society.

But sure we'll say the next victims are in are thoughts and prayers, that'll make it all better.

Your prayers aren't working folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Greysquirel09

Silane wrote: »
    I go shooting all the time and I've never shot anybody so by your logic guns aren't a problem either.

http://alcoholireland.ie/facts/case-studies-kids/
    "Almost half of the perpetrators of homicide were intoxicated when the crime was committed"

"One in eleven, or approximately 318,000 of the full adult population, said that they or a family member were assaulted by someone under the influence of alcohol in the past year"

I'm not saying guns aren't an issue in America, I'm just saying I think it's funny that Irish people think they're somehow more enlightened than Americans when we have our own similar problems which we defend with the exact same logic as Americans who support guns.

Yeah everyone in Ireland is an expert on American gun law once a shooting happens. No one here gets it. I often wonder what Americans think looking in at our country. Alcoholism rife, embarrassing health system, can't even house our own Citizens etc etc. And here we are pontificating to them. Laughable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yeah everyone in Ireland is an expert on American gun law once a shooting happens. No one here gets it. I often wonder what Americans think looking in at our country. Alcoholism rife, embarrassing health system, can't even house our own Citizens etc etc. And here we are pontificating to them. Laughable really.

Seriously.....

That sounds exactly like the USA but over there it's even worse.

Look up on Netflix a series called dope and that will show you what they have it like over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Those damn liberals with yet another mass shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,110 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Really!? i would take our gun caused deaths, our health system and our homeless stats over the US any day. You should maybe try again.

And i don't see any pontification. I see part frustration or resignation that any country who does nothing after Sandy Hook has a very real mental sickness and its not clear how that can be cured.

Meanwhile, kids are dying and politicians are in the pockets of the NRA and despite there being evidence that the majority of americans want gun control, those politicians won't do anything because success in politics is generally linked to funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Greysquirel09

everlast75 wrote: »
    Really!? i would take our gun caused deaths, our health system and our homeless stats over the US any day. You should maybe try again.

And i don't see any pontification. I see part frustration or resignation that any country who does nothing after Sandy Hook has a very real mental sickness and its not clear how that can be cured.

Meanwhile, kids are dying and politicians are in the pockets of the NRA and despite there being evidence that the majority of americans want gun control, those politicians won't do anything because success in politics is generally linked to funding.

You don't live in America you don't get it. I'm sorry but it's just that simple.

Advertisement