Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Hi guys , I think this is the more appropriate thread to post this.

Is anyone having issues lately with their Eir FTTH/VDSL or similar? 0.12 down.. Synced at 50/15

Is the issue between the 3rd and 4th hop?

1 <1 ms <1 ms 2 ms pool-ipv6-pd.agg3.kny.prp-wtd.eircom.net [2001:bb6:b400:827a::1]
    2 14 ms 5 ms 7 ms 2001:bb0:6:a15a::1
    3 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms br1.csg.border.eircom.net [2001:bb0:6:a127::1]
    4 * 371 ms 370 ms inex2.as13335.net [2001:7f8:18:12::61]
    5 369 ms 367 ms * 2606:4700:10::6814:4660
    6 367 ms 367 ms * 2606:4700:10::6814:4660
    7 366 ms 366 ms * 2606:4700:10::6814:4660
    8 367 ms * 370 ms 2606:4700:10::6814:4660

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Cush wrote: »
    This from eir's third quarter and nine months ended 31 March 2019

- 337,000 total FTTH premises passed, 275,000 as part of rural rollout

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-announces-third-quarter-FY19-results-to-31-March-2019/
    It would be interesting to see what they deem passed to mean as their APQ had only 305000 premises available two weeks ago.

And that figure has only increased by a few hundred since then. Still sub 306k available to order. And that is counting the ones they have eircodes for and the ones they don't have eircodes for.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

where do they bring the fibre into the house, does it come to the center of the house where i have a phone socket, or do they just bring it in through the wall from where the duck comes up outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Gilbey wrote: »
    where do they bring the fibre into the house, does it come to the center of the house where i have a phone socket, or do they just bring it in through the wall from where the duck comes up outside?

Watch this video, gave me some answers to the questions I had

https://www.eir.ie/support/just-joined/preparing-for-your-upcoming-appointment/

Headshot wrote: »
    Watch this video, gave me some answers to the questions I had

https://www.eir.ie/support/just-joined/preparing-for-your-upcoming-appointment/

watched it already, doesn't really answer my question, anyone whom got FTTH installed able to shed some light

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

watched it already, doesn't really answer my question, anyone whom got FTTH installed able to shed some light

How does your phone line come in? You mentioned a duct. Do you have a small white box on an exterior wall of your house?

How does your phone line come in? You mentioned a duct. Do you have a small white box on an exterior wall of your house?

yes small white box with a door on it, do they feed the fibre from that into the house to a phone socket, or do they drill a hole in the wall at the outside box? into the house

yes small white box with a door on it, do they feed the fibre from that into the house to a phone socket, or do they drill a hole in the wall at the outside box? into the house

He will likely want to drill through the back of that box and install the equipment on the interior wall on the other side. You could ask him to bring the cable out of the box and route it on the exterior of your house to a more suitable spot but that would be at the installer's discretion.

He will likely want to drill through the back of that box and install the equipment on the interior wall on the other side. You could ask him to bring the cable out of the box and route it on the exterior of your house to a more suitable spot but that would be at the installer's discretion.

thanks , sounds like the lazy way, and not the best for the home owner!!!, ill wait and see when they come

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

FTTH enabled a couple of weeks ago here. A couple of Eir guys called in the other night to sell me the service. When I was hedging , I was offered a once-off today-only discount, so I plumped for it. Then saw my order via email and , lo and behold, the discount was not showing. Rang Eir and was told there was no note against my account. So I cancelled the order and contacted Nightline to cancel delivery of the router.

They would still be the cheapest even without the discount, but its the principle of the thing. If that's the result of my 1st ever contact with the company I will look elsewhere. The woman on the phone suggested I get the installation done and then follow up with them afterwards but I told her I was not going to go jumping through all those hoops, just to be told again that there is no note against the account.

I am now mulling over going with another provider, partly to keep the port. I decided to check my mobile BB speeds with 3 mobile BB and for the 1st time ever I got
    speedofme: 29Mbps down, 5.5 up ,k Lat 56ms
    speedtest 19 down, 11 up, ping 30ms
    Typical! I dont think I have ever seen it going above 5Mbps down before. Coincedence? I wonder would it drop down again in a few months
    Decisions, decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭manshay

That picture is outdated. The ONT is now smaller than the ODP.

See attached

I had my install two weeks ago.
    This is the equipment installed.
    (Note it doesn’t work yet, the PON light is flashing, another OpenEir visit booked by Airwire for next week)

manshay wrote: »
    I had my install two weeks ago.
    This is the equipment installed.
    (Note it doesn’t work yet, the PON light is flashing, another OpenEir visit booked by Airwire for next week)

That still not fixed? I'd be interested to hear what the solution was when you finally get online.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

thanks , sounds like the lazy way, and not the best for the home owner!!!, ill wait and see when they come

If you make doing it your way, the easiest way, then you might get your way. If the existing phone line runs through an attic and down through a conduit in the wall to the socket, then offering to be the one to pull the cable through the attic and feed it down the conduit in the wall might be positively received. If the existing phone comes through a conduit, checking that is clear and unblocked first would be an idea.

I got my install done in the attic by having power sockets, a floodlight and pulling the cable through to the well lit standing area.

Looks like I fell at the first hurled so far

So if you remember I previously sent on a picture of the cable going into a duct at the eir pole, this travels under the garden and into main socket at the main door.

I open the main docket and see the same black cable from the duct at the Eir pole but feck it, it's coming up from trunken which seems to small for fibre I think

g6XcTFz.jpg

I'm getting a cobra reel on Friday so that will help me to get a better idea too

The fibre cable should fit through that gap. Get the smallest diameter rod you can.

Although in saying that you may have issues where the black duct meets the white conduit. You might not be able to get the rod through if they are not joined correctly. What kind of floor do you have because you may need to lift part of it?

The fibre cable should fit through that gap. Get the smallest diameter rod you can.

Hi Navi.

When you mean "diameter rod" I presume you mean a reel like this?
    https://www.mwhire.com/equipment/cobra-reel/
    Although in saying that you may have issues where the black duct meets the white conduit. You might not be able to get the rod through if they are not joined correctly. What kind of floor do you have because you may need to lift part of it?

Concrete floor :(

Hi Navi.

When you mean "diameter rod" I presume you mean a reel like this?
    https://www.mwhire.com/equipment/cobra-reel/

Concrete floor :(

Yeah. Rod = reel. I'd try to get the reel through first and if that works great, put a pull rope in.

If you can't get it through you're going to have to look at other options. Overhead installation, digging through your floor or even using the copper as a pull rope though if that fails you're going to be left with no fibre and no phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

He brings through the wall phone socket is in middle of hall usually running on a 2 pair cat5 cable fibre cable cannot be brought more than 1 meter inside of a living space living space is to mean if it's in a room where you move about and breathe the air in the fibre is not allowed to exceed 1meter into. Hot press wardrobes utility closet attic spaces and conduits are not living spaces and fibre can exceed 1 meter in.

So if you remember I previously sent on a picture of the cable going into a duct at the eir pole, this travels under the garden and into main socket at the main door.

I open the main docket and see the same black cable from the duct at the Eir pole but feck it, it's coming up from trunken which seems to small for fibre I think

g6XcTFz.jpg

I'm getting a cobra reel on Friday so that will help me to get a better idea too

Reels not gonna fit through that with cable in you can buy these skinny fishing rods. Think in an electrical wholesalers. Theyre a diameter of 4mm and should move through that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

g6XcTFz.jpg

It might be easier to push the rod through from inside where the pic shows, as I reckon it would have a better chance of continuing past the joint it will surely meet under the floor.

If you get it through to the other end, use it to pull back a pull rope to help bring in the fibre cable.

If you have to dig up the floor you will need to make a smooth joint with a large radius so the cable can go around it.

Thanks guys for all the advice.

I think the best solution here will be the overhead installation, probably easier for all the parties involved in this.

How stringent are Eir/KN networks going into an attic and it's a converted attic

Thanks guys for all the advice.

I think the best solution here will be the overhead installation, probably easier for all the parties involved in this.

How stringent are Eir/KN networks going into an attic and it's a converted attic

It depends on the technician. They don’t *have* to do installs in attics. The KN guy who came to me was more than happy to install in the attic.

That still not fixed? I'd be interested to hear what the solution was when you finally get online.

Another update.....
    KN phoned Friday pm to cancel Tuesdays appointment because the DP on the pole is not active.

According to the openeir trouble shooting document a flashing green PON light indicates either
    Incorrect ONT serial number
    Or
    Incorrect/rogue ONT.

Does this tally with KN telling me the DP is not active?
    (I don’t think it does)
    Airwire are raising/updating the ticket with openeir.

Another update.....
    KN phoned Friday pm to cancel Tuesdays appointment because the DP on the pole is not active.

According to the openeir trouble shooting document a flashing green PON light indicates either
    Or
    Incorrect/rogue ONT.

(I don’t think it does)

No this can be poor light too say someone is on a 1000mpbs profile and light coming through is about -28dbm that won't show a red Los light but will keep blinking and sporadically connect for a second or two. Poor light on cable or from dp back.

Or the ont isn't registered to the line.
    Are you the one who had an install with no light then they did some work on line and it started blinking after that. If so you need to get your ont registered. Baffling that it was not done yet as it literally takes 6seconds to port up on it.

Another update.....

Or
    Incorrect/rogue ONT.

(I don’t think it does)

If the ONT were rogue both the PON and LOS would be flashing.

If the DP was inactive the LOS would be flashing.

The OLT in the exchange is not recognising your ONT because, I presume, your serial number has not been registered correctly. Another failure for "no light" installations.

I rented out a cobra reel today to see could I run the fibre cable from the duct at the Eir pole into the house, unfortunately it's a no go. I ran into somethings stopping it coming into the house.

So i'm happy enough in a sense that I can now concentrate on an overhead solution.

I rented out a cobra reel today to see could I run the fibre cable from the duct at the Eir pole into the house, unfortunately it's a no go. I ran into somethings stopping it coming into the house.

So i'm happy enough in a sense that I can now concentrate on an overhead solution.

If you have a converted attic you could get the fibre attached to gable end of house and brought in through the eaves across loft and onto wall of attic next to a power socket

Openeir just want ont in a location where you can keep an eye on it. I really don't know what they expect to happen. Leaking roof dripping on it and causes electrical short or being installed covered in fibreglass causing thermal runaway.
    In essence they just want the fibre not in a living space but the ont in one. Having said that most techs will install on a board that you can mount to the battens with power over the attic hatch. It's just quicker than trying to bring it all the way around the house on soffit and fascia so like others said if you've prepared and make it the easiest option you'll get your install done that way if you wish.
    My advice if so is to put a hole in soffit and fascia with builders rope coming through it to the loft to a floored area.
    Save a bit of rattling and poking with the cable trying to find it in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Openeir just want ont in a location where you can keep an eye on it. I really don't know what they expect to happen. Leaking roof dripping on it and causes electrical short or being installed covered in fibreglass causing thermal runaway...

If that is their thinking, then perhaps someone should show them how much 230v AC wiring and junctions there are in an average loft.

If my router crashes (in the loft) and I can't do a reset over wifi, I just go and flip the circuit breaker off and on again. Don't need to get the ladder. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

after waiting for what seems eternity this finally shows up now when i put my eircode into the eircom broadband checker! - certainly moving in the right direction now it seems and i am getting very excited!

481696.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement