Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

even now if I put in my eircode with eir at https://www.eir.ie/broadband/ its not been updated and still says 'fibre not available at this address' ... I suppose this is technically true if its available from the 12th June but you would still think they would update their page to say it will be available on the 12th June though

They don't do pre-avavilability on their checker. Only Airwire do as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

I'd like to know the same - have a dormer bungalow with a crawl space going around the outside upper level. The phone line comes into it and it would by far be easiest if it was brought into the soffit at the end and terminated near a hatch where all my other network equipment is.

I'm not expecting the engineer to enter the crawl space. but wonder if I could pull the fibre through for him to terminate it near the hatch.

My very helpful (young) KN engineer said “we don’t have to install in the attic” but he didn’t mind doing so. It seemed very up to the individual engineer. I had installed an electrical conduit from one side of attic to the other, he said it wasn’t necessary as could have tacked(or some similar word) it to the timber. I’d had installed a plywood board in the attic of approx 60x60cm to mount the fibre equipment on; pics of similar setups on prior pages on this thread. My sparkie had installed two double sockets on the board prior to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

They don't do pre-avavilability on their checker. Only Airwire do as far as I know.

well not wishing to tell anyone their job or operate their websites or anything but maybe they should - terrible really, as most people will not separate openeir and eir who are not in the know and might wonder why an independent supplier can sort out pre-avavilability information but a company such as eir cannot! - what a shower! (eir that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Day 6 and despite the rep claiming yesterday some priority fault bs, no contact from eircom/KN and the fibre is still hanging down. 2.9km cut off.

Do really hope the installers take note of the eircode checker of where our house is because thats correct .. but if they take google maps as gospel then they will be installing at the wrong house!

We are 4 houses in a row - numbered 1-4 . eircode have it spot on when you see the 4 houses together - google maps however have our house number with its little pin above number 2 and we are number 3 .. I have tried numerous times to report a problem with the address with google and it never gets corrected. its still wrong.

if they do go with the google maps details my neighbour will be getting the FTTH installation and not me LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had a caller to the door the other day who took a little time to explain what he wanted. He had broken English.

Eventually he showed me his phone and google map, and I was able to point out the location of the premises he actually wanted ...... some 500 metres away!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

Day 6 and despite the rep claiming yesterday some priority fault bs, no contact from eircom/KN and the fibre is still hanging down. 2.9km cut off.
    We had similar line break with two poles replaced on backroad about a mile away just before Easter .Poles and phone line fixed after a week .Fibre line took another 7 days with two Open Eir vans involved in splicing repairs which took hours to complete. These guys came all way from Galway .Back online after 15 days so patience required with fibre line breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Altreab2

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Ok thats it ..im hitting the top shelf tonight ...tomorrow ....next week :(:(:(:(:(

Neighbour just went from "Not Available" to "Available soon" for fiber ...me starting my wait for NBP to become reality :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    So close but yet so far!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys when is the ETA for Eir supposedly having the 300K customers setup for Fibre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys when is the ETA for Eir supposedly having the 300K customers setup for Fibre?

End of June supposedly, will probably run over that, total figure when completed will be 335,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They have already ran over the June deadline, as there's tons of premises with a ready-for-order date in mid June.

By latest figures, they still have over 50k premises to do.

/M

soooooo.... FTTH is supposed to be available to me 12th June ... but (and this I dont know what its about and how it can delay things but it might?)

They (and I dont know who they are - openeir would it be?) have made a mistake/incorrect information on the prequal thing has our village down for CNY/CNY instead of RTD/CNY apparently - I dont know what this all means? - I am presuming though that one must be parent and one node is it? and CNY is Coolaney and RTD is Rathedmond? or they have put the exchange down as CNY and node as CNY when it should be exchange as RTD and cabinet as coolaney? - have I that right, only its all double dutch to me . I thought we had the exchange and OLT and VDSL cabinets all in the village now ? - in which case CNY/CNY would be correct wouldnt it.

so , anyway 2 things now . Do you think they would be able to get this all sorted out before the 12th june or will it be on the long finger again (might be a question Navi can answer maybe?)

And this is a question for Martin at airwire: are you aware of this and will it delay anything and do you need to change the date now on the availability checker?

thanks.

Where are you getting the parent/node information from? We don't know if the OLT is in the village. It may or may not be. I'd assume that open eir know what is going on so I would not overly concern yourself with it.

Where are you getting the parent/node information from?.

Paul from westnet informed me of the problem/issue in an email (- sorry Paul hope you dont mind me relaying it here - hope its not supposed to be top secret claasified information or anything)

Paul from westnet informed me of the problem/issue in an email (- sorry Paul hope you dont mind me relaying it here - hope its not supposed to be top secret claasified information or anything)

If the area has been given a provisional live date I'd assume all issues are rectified but I'll let the ISPs here confirm it for you.

ED E wrote: »
    The old unit appears to be labelled 1000 E10. Thats the old voice platform that still runs PSTN for half the country.

To replace that they had to install something comparable (if a lot smaller) for voice services so at a minimum it houses an MSAN which may also have PON LTs. You'd have to get a gander inside to know.

yeah, of course its all locked up. - i can hear a fan running in it, but I suppose thats no indication - shame I cannot synchronize being down there at the time they have the cabinet doors - could've sneaked a cheeky photo of the inside ...

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

If it was top secret classified information I wouldn't have told you. :)

It's an indexation problem related to aggregation (parent) nodes and local exchanges. The agg node for Coolaney (CNY) is Rathedmond in Sligo (RTD). The advanced prequal file should list the Coolaney premises with the RTD agg node and the CNY local exchange, but they're all listed with CNY as the agg node. Given that CNY isn't an agg node, this will prevent orders from being placed unless it's fixed before June 12th.

Eircom are claiming the whole cable will have to be replaced running 5KM+ and are awaiting a permit from the county council and this will all be done by Friday. BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What happens to a house in the situation where you had a copper landline and PSTN Phone service.

In my own house for example I have ADSL2+ from EIR and PSTN Voice service including multiple sockets with a phone in the bedroom, cordless phone in the office and phone in the hall which was originally installed like 30+ years ago by Telecom Eireann. I am not on an EIR FTTH list yet.

So the new Fibre line is ran into the house, is the copper decommissioned? What happens to the PSTN phones? Are they ran from the Modem or does the voice continue over the copper?

• Advertisement

Eircom are claiming the whole cable will have to be replaced running 5KM+ and are awaiting a permit from the county council and this will all be done by Friday. BS?

I don't see why 5km of fibre would have to be replaced unless there were no DP boxes along that 5km section of cable. According to your picture they've already replaced a pole and some cabling.

theguzman wrote: »
    What happens to a house in the situation where you had a copper landline and PSTN Phone service.

In my own house for example I have ADSL2+ from EIR and PSTN Voice service including multiple sockets with a phone in the bedroom, cordless phone in the office and phone in the hall which was originally installed like 30+ years ago by Telecom Eireann. I am not on an EIR FTTH list yet.

So the new Fibre line is ran into the house, is the copper decommissioned? What happens to the PSTN phones? Are they ran from the Modem or does the voice continue over the copper?

It seems to vary. Some people with existing PSTN have been left on copper for the phone while some have been moved to VoIP (VoBB) where the phone connection is carried over the fibre by plugging into an RJ11 socket on the router. All this is for eir. The situation with other ISPs may differ.

I don't see why 5km of fibre would have to be replaced unless there were no DP boxes along that 5km section of cable. According to your picture they've already replaced a pole and some cabling.

There’s a DP on every 3rd pole (some 2nd) between for the rest of the 2.9km stretch. I smell bs but I got an estimated restore date at least with Carolan Lennon/ComReg etc contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The Cush wrote: »
    End of June supposedly, will probably run over that, total figure when completed will be 335,000.
    Marlow wrote: »
    They have already ran over the June deadline, as there's tons of premises with a ready-for-order date in mid June.

By latest figures, they still have over 50k premises to do.

/M

Yap no chance in hell this being done by of June.

Specially my area in Golden in Co Tipperary will be a huge job

Corner of my eye the ONT PON blinked on. Thank god, the 4G, 3G Edge coverage on both EMobile and Vodafone has gotten worse since the last time I constantly used them during ADSL1 outages. Thats another fight for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

A question: I got FTTH last year - I was previously served by FTTC. In the OpenEir rollout map, there is a big green circle (seems to be about 1 km radius): these houses were deemed to be already fibre enabled (in reality, FTTC) and were outside the scope of the FTTH scheme. I live outside that circle, so qualified for FTTH.

When the FTTH project is completed in a few months, will OpenEir fall back and provide FTTH connections to the houses they passed and ignored (i.e. the houses within the green circle)?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

Two Open Eir vans are fixing fibre cable right now 7.30 pm. DP box at Borrisoleigh side is being worked on and new cable is along poles to other Dp at ragg side.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Poulgorm wrote: »
    When the FTTH project is completed in a few months, will OpenEir fall back and provide FTTH connections to the houses they passed and ignored (i.e. the houses within the green circle)?

Anyone on less than 30Mbps will be in the NBP, any town with more than 1,000 premises will be fibred under the IFN rollout. Some of the premises will fall under both projects.

Don't know what will happen those that fall outside both of those areas, outside the NBP intervention with greater than 30Mbps and less than 1,000 premises, my local village for example?

Poulgorm wrote: »
    A question: I got FTTH last year - I was previously served by FTTC. In the OpenEir rollout map, there is a big green circle (seems to be about 1 km radius): these houses were deemed to be already fibre enabled (in reality, FTTC) and were outside the scope of the FTTH scheme. I live outside that circle, so qualified for FTTH.

If the area has over 1000 premises that is the plan. I imagine though that they'll target higher density areas first especially around Dublin where they'll want to make inroads into Virgin coverage.

• Advertisement

Passatb7 wrote: »
    Two Open Eir vans are fixing fibre cable right now 7.30 pm. DP box at Borrisoleigh side is being worked on and new cable is along poles to other Dp at ragg side.

Is that at the pole GAA posted? They hardly had to replace 5km of cable though.

480826.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement