Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

cnocbui wrote: »
    What is it with all the blocked ducts and the idea it's normal? If you seal the ends, you wont get a blockage. Who in their right mind would leave one end of a duct open, either pointing up vertically, and just asking for it, or even worse, buried?

Well see the open Eir side can get blocked sometimes the dp is underwater. They're waterproof for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Folks, just wondering if ye can point me in the right direction. Was on the fibre rollout map for the rural broadband ftth plan. After waiting for a long time it hasn't happened. I see that the plan is meant to be completed by June this year. Any idea whats happening to the households that haven't been connected? I have tried to contact eir on twitter without any luck... Any advice is appreciated
    Regards
    Theduffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

theduffer wrote: »
    Folks, just wondering if ye can point me in the right direction. Was on the fibre rollout map for the rural broadband ftth plan. After waiting for a long time it hasn't happened. I see that the plan is meant to be completed by June this year. Any idea whats happening to the households that haven't been connected? I have tried to contact eir on twitter without any luck... Any advice is appreciated
    Regards
    Theduffer

It's unlikely to be completed by June. If you were on the list you should be done at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Thanks Navi, it's a pity that there isn't a press release from eir as to what's happening post June..

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

This question has probably been asked and answered already so apologies. Once eir complete the 300k they cherry picked from the national broadband plan, are they allowed add further houses that are marked in the nbp area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This question has probably been asked and answered already so apologies. Once eir complete the 300k they cherry picked from the national broadband plan, are they allowed add further houses that are marked in the nbp area?

Yes, they have added 35,000 to the original 300,000 rural rollout and will add further in the urban rollout, an eir estimated 50,000 urban infills.
    Carolan Lennon: I do not want to confuse everybody but for the sake of clarity, because we have done 335,000 as opposed to the original 300,000, the Chairman can take that 35,000 off. They are in the rural one. Because we are going to pick up 50,000 of urban infills, the Chairman can take them off. The figure of 540,000 probably goes down to 460,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WhoJackie

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Yep there's nearly always work on homeowners/landowners part I really think they should be making this public knowledge along with the availability of ftth in an area can't be that hard to get organised the government could try to win votes by making a campaign to get an post to send leaflets to any eircode that comes live.
    Putting through trees is an option but if you think there's big boughs that look like they're going to snap off in the next couple of years you'd be mindful to put that into consideration. Underground is more effort but you'll know it's safe from falling debris.
    There is a shovel that is shaped like a crescent moon that you can use to part the grass without having to actually dig it just splits the ground in a V wedge where you can drop ducting in then just stamp it closed again leaving an imperceptible scar on the grass as opposed to a ton of topsoil everywhere.

Thanks for the digging suggestion. And thanks to everyone for any other input.

I just think its a lot of unnecessary work to put into it. I have a wall at the front of the house and it would be a lot easier to run a small section underground from the pole to the back of the wall and tack to the back, and then bring up to my house along the edge of the concrete driveway.

I've seen some different methods of installation abroad on YouTube etc, where the fibre line is armoured/outdoor safe, and then a thin line is cut into the pavement outside of the home and it is wedged down there.

And there been another set back, ordered pipe from builder providers (K&N guy just said 2 inch ducting ??) So the guy behind the counter assured me it was the right pipe as he had his phone line brought in a while back. 9 rigid pipe sections arrived today so they will have to go back.

Did some googling and found a PDF published by eir specifying what particular pipe is required (coiled hydrodare) KN said it would be about €60 (Its actually over €200)

(Google Eir Ducting and you will see a PDF)

also, find it weird that its my responsibility to install the pipe onto the telecom pole thats on a public road, not on my property

I still think all of this should be included in your installation fee. It is a utility after all.

WhoJackie wrote: »
    Thanks for the digging suggestion. And thanks to everyone for any other input.

I just think its a lot of unnecessary work to put into it. I have a wall at the front of the house and it would be a lot easier to run a small section underground from the pole to the back of the wall and tack to the back, and then bring up to my house along the edge of the concrete driveway.

I've seen some different methods of installation abroad on YouTube etc, where the fibre line is armoured/outdoor safe, and then a thin line is cut into the pavement outside of the home and it is wedged down there.

And there been another set back, ordered pipe from builder providers (K&N guy just said 2 inch ducting ??) So the guy behind the counter assured me it was the right pipe as he had his phone line brought in a while back. 9 rigid pipe sections arrived today so they will have to go back.

Did some googling and found a PDF published by eir specifying what particular pipe is required (coiled hydrodare) KN said it would be about €60 (Its actually over €200)

(Google Eir Ducting and you will see a PDF)

also, find it weird that its my responsibility to install the pipe onto the telecom pole thats on a public road, not on my property

I still think all of this should be included in your installation fee. It is a utility after all.

It's not your responsibility to install it to the pole just to leave enough to bring it up pole by a meter kn will galvobar it to the pole after they pull the fibre through.

Re gardening walls and tacking it along they don't like it you may move the wall in years to come but I think the real reason is to do with vines and ivy growing up them enough telephone lines get cut with strimmers and hedge cutters openEir just rejoins the cut sections and leaves with fibre they're have an awful headache trying to replace a 350m run from pole underground up another pole across through a road crossing and along a wall and into house. Their guidelines are alot stricter as a fibre cable snapping a few feet from the house can be a whole days work to redo.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Sorry to ask a how long is a piece of string question, but how long is it likely to be from DP installation to be able to order? The boxes were installed last Thursday after the cables which were installed last month.

medoc wrote: »
    Sorry to ask a how long is a piece of string question, but how long is it likely to be from DP installation to be able to order? The boxes were installed last Thursday after the cables which were installed last month.

Generally it has been at least a month however with them under pressure to get finished it may be a shorter period now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 WhoJackie

It's not your responsibility to install it to the pole just to leave enough to bring it up pole by a meter kn will galvobar it to the pole after they pull the fibre through.

Re gardening walls and tacking it along they don't like it you may move the wall in years to come but I think the real reason is to do with vines and ivy growing up them enough telephone lines get cut with strimmers and hedge cutters openEir just rejoins the cut sections and leaves with fibre they're have an awful headache trying to replace a 350m run from pole underground up another pole across through a road crossing and along a wall and into house. Their guidelines are alot stricter as a fibre cable snapping a few feet from the house can be a whole days work to redo.

But I'm still expected to dig outside of my property leading to the pole (about 10 metres) and lay the pipe.
    Don't think this would happen anywhere but Ireland. I still think the whole installation should be carried out as part of sign up. I cant see many people signing up to fibre if this is what is involved.

Yeah, I understand that the fibre is more delicate and cannot be rejoined. I meant tacking the pipe to the back of the wall and running it through that, then bringing it to the home beside the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

But I'm still expected to dig outside of my property leading to the pole (about 10 metres) and lay the pipe.

Are you sure of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the home is accessed by a private laneway that isn't in charge of the LA I guess its possible right? OE wont do civils on private lands.

Don't think this would happen anywhere but Ireland. I still think the whole installation should be carried out as part of sign up. I cant see many people signing up to fibre if this is what is involved.

Yeah, I understand that the fibre is more delicate and cannot be rejoined. I meant tacking the pipe to the back of the wall and running it through that, then bringing it to the home beside the driveway.

This is a grey area and I don't think this happens anywhere but Ireland there even seems to be some sort of issue when it comes to ownership of the area outside I believe technically it belongs to the council but yet your expected to maintain it. But if trees start going wild there the council can cut them without consulting you by right open eir would have to provide you with a joint box within reach or a pole if you wanted to duct to pole you'd have to contact a civil contractor to obtain a permit from the council and have the duct ran to the pole or joint box.
    You could request a joint box to be installed closer to your curtilage but how successful that'll be is up in the air and you'll be waiting far longer.
    If you have the pole at the boundary a shallow trench and duct to pole should do it if there's no accessable way for a person to walk between the pole and your property you don't need to bury the duct if someone can't possibly trip over it

ED E wrote: »
    If the home is accessed by a private laneway that isn't in charge of the LA I guess its possible right? OE wont do civils on private lands.

Unless it's a telegraph pole they will provide you with a telegraph pole on your land should you need one
    The only way to get one is to request one on your first install date when the tech comes out to install/survey

• Registered Users Posts: 25 NiallDoherty

Does anyone have a link to the vodafone eircode checker? Can't find it on their site anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whosyourman

Unless it's a telegraph pole they will provide you with a telegraph pole on your land should you need one
    The only way to get one is to request one on your first install date when the tech comes out to install/survey

I've read through some of the recent posts and appreciate that, for a new build,we will have to get our builder to duct from the house to the road for cables.

There are no poles on our side of the road or particularly nearby,so our builder has said we should look to confirm if a new pole would be put in so he knows where to duct to.

How do I request/check if a new pole will be put in? (The online chat told me to just build and then reach out...doesn't seem the best thinking!)

I'm already an Eir customer at my rented address,if that will make things any easier.

Does anyone have a link to the vodafone eircode checker? Can't find it on their site anymore

It is gone.

I've read through some of the recent posts and appreciate that, for a new build,we will have to get our builder to duct from the house to the road for cables.

There are no poles on our side of the road or particularly nearby,so our builder has said we should look to confirm if a new pole would be put in so he knows where to duct to.

How do I request/check if a new pole will be put in? (The online chat told me to just build and then reach out...doesn't seem the best thinking!)

I'm already an Eir customer at my rented address,if that will make things any easier.

It can't be requested before the appointment
    When somebody comes out to install they will see the viability of installing if he can't install due to needing a pole on otherside he will talk with you and say he needs to put a pole put in you say where he will see if that works then he'll take pictures of the spot and send back a survey with details of pole placement that's it for the day he dissapears onto his next job open eir then approve the pole and sends kn civil crew out to drop the pole you can place your ducting at anytime your input will be taken on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

When somebody comes out to install they will see the viability of installing if he can't install due to needing a pole on otherside he will talk with you and say he needs to put a pole put in you say where he will see if that works then he'll take pictures of the spot and send back a survey with details of pole placement that's it for the day he dissapears onto his next job open eir then approve the pole and sends kn civil crew out to drop the pole you can place your ducting at anytime your input will be taken on board.

Any idea how far they would bring fibre from the black box on the pole? I'm in the nbp area but just and the last box is 150m away. Neighbour is in the rural rollout but wont be connecting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

y
    How much they'll charge you for the pole I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nothing.

I believe the first pole is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whosyourman

I rang up Eir home care about planning to switch my account when we have the new address (in about 3 months time!) and they suggested that I go to Eircode website,send in a query explaining I need an Eircode for a new house. If (big if) they come back with one, then I can ring Eir about switching/new connection and as you said,they will come out and survey the site to let me know if I need a new pole or where my connection might be, then I can progress the changeover.

Thanks for your input,has been v helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

I had an installation finished at 12:30 today and am still not connected to the network . This is the Airwire ONT with the PON light off, and the LOS flashing red. Is there any point in intermittently checking this during this evening, or will I be waiting until working hours tomorrow to be connected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Open Eir owns the ONT. If there was no light to the ONT the guy installing it should have let you know why.
    It's up to Open Eir to get that part of the network working but if you still have no connection by tomorrow contact Airwire, they should know what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

tuxy wrote: »
    Open Eir owns the ONT. If there was no light to the ONT the guy installing it should have let you know why.
    It's up to Open Eir to get that part of the network working but if you still have no connection by tomorrow contact Airwire, they should know what's happening.

Thanks. The installer said something along the lines of ..it's not switched on yet, It will be switched on later today. I will ring Airwire tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

hi, eir vans in my village and have installed the black boxes on the poles (Low), how long before fibre go's live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Gilbey wrote: »
    hi, eir vans in my village and have installed the black boxes on the poles (Low), how long before fibre go's live

Every area is different. They get it done as soon as they can but some areas are more work than others. Between one to two months is fairly typical. They are under pressure right now to meat deadlines so that should speed things up if it's possible for them to work faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Gilbey wrote: »

our ones in our village went up last July and are only going live from tomorrow , although I dont think thats the norm . I think we was waiting on an OLT exchange or some other problem that delayed it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement