Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Doesn't it seem silly that (well to me it looks it) that I could order now from eir if I wanted , it looks like I can and maybe from Airwire if I wanted to (could I ) but when i got in touch with Vodafone FTTH (gigabit broadband) on chat today on their website she said it wasnt available to me and to contact back after 12th June - see I was thinking of getting in early and pre-ordering if I could .

here' s where it seems I am at the moment (150mbps) :

481799.jpg

Thats what I have found out so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

cnocbui wrote: »
    If that is their thinking, then perhaps someone should show them how much 230v AC wiring and junctions there are in an average loft.

If my router crashes (in the loft) and I can't do a reset over wifi, I just go and flip the circuit breaker off and on again. Don't need to get the ladder. :cool:

There's a smart WiFi plug you can get that turns off for a second or 2 when it loses connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That Sky pricing is a special offer and ends today.

So, it might not be available tomorrow.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Doesn't it seem silly that (well to me it looks it) that I could order now from eir if I wanted , it looks like I can and maybe from Airwire if I wanted to (could I ) but when i got in touch with Vodafone FTTH (gigabit broadband) on chat today on their website she said it wasnt available to me and to contact back after 12th June - see I was thinking of getting in early and pre-ordering if I could .

Not silly at all, we know all providers get an update list weekly from openeir. Then each provider decides how frequently they will update their own list and how much resources they want to dedicate to doing this.

Oh .. and Vodafone really hide their OpenEIR based FTTH pricing.

It's here: https://n.vodafone.ie/business/products-and-solutions/fixed-communications/gigabit-broadband.html

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Cork981

Any idea how long it takes for Eir FTTH to actually go alive once work is started ?

Currently living in a new estate with about 74 of 144 houses completed.

We are to far away from the nearest cabinet to get FTTC.

Eir ran fiber up to the start of estate along some dodgy looking poles, the fiber is just left swinging in a bundle on the last pole outside our estate next to a chamber that feeds our estate.

Anyone have any experience with this ?

tuxy wrote: »
    Not silly at all, we know all providers get an update list weekly from openeir. Then each provider decides how frequently they will update their own list and how much resources they want to dedicate to doing this.

so what I am sort of like getting at is that if its available to order now from eir .. then why is it not available to order across the board with all FTTH providers for me? why say with Vodafone for example I have to get back to them after the 12th of June to get any more info/place an order with them ?

Thats what I am struggling with . I thought with the fairness of competition it would have been available to order from all at the same time ie if available to order before the 12 from eir .. available to order before the 12th from the likes of vodafone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

so what I am sort of like getting at is that if its available to order now from eir .. then why is it not available to order across the board with all FTTH providers for me? why say with Vodafone for example I have to get back to them after the 12th of June to get any more info/place an order with them ?

Thats what I am struggling with . I thought with the fairness of competition it would have been available to order from all at the same time ie if available to order before the 12 from eir .. available to order before the 12th from the likes of vodafone ?

Because it's not actually available to order until the 12th. eir will just take your order now and process it on the RFO (ready for order) date which is the 12th in your case. Vodafone obviously don't want to, or can't, deal with pre-orders so you're told to call back on the RFO date.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Any idea how long it takes for Eir FTTH to actually go alive once work is started ?

Currently living in a new estate with about 74 of 144 houses completed.

We are to far away from the nearest cabinet to get FTTC.

Eir ran fiber up to the start of estate along some dodgy looking poles, the fiber is just left swinging in a bundle on the last pole outside our estate next to a chamber that feeds our estate.

Anyone have any experience with this ?

It would be a guess on people's part here I'm afraid. They'll finish it when it suits them.

Well it is perfectly fair if vodafone wanted to update their database more frequently and take pre-orders they could. But they have decided not to.
    Openeir are not going to tell providers how to run their business. They offer the same info and infrastructure to every provider and it's up to that company to decide how to run and sell the service.
    As to why vodafone don't accept pre-orders, who knows, large telecom companies are not know for their wise decision making.

If you want to pre-order go with a company that offers it, if not just wait, KN seem to be quick to schedule install dates. Pre-odering does not get the service to you faster.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

tuxy wrote: »
    ...KN seem to be quick to schedule install dates.

KN don't schedule install dates; providers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

oscarBravo wrote: »
    KN don't schedule install dates; providers do.
    Yep but KN may call round to install it earlier, the installer who did mine, did it two days earlier then the given install date, He was filling in his work day.

Because it's not actually available to order until the 12th. eir will just take your order now and process it on the RFO (ready for order) date which is the 12th in your case. Vodafone obviously don't want to, or can't, deal with pre-orders so you're told to call back on the RFO date.

ah right thanks Navi - thats where i am getting my wires crossed then. I was thinking it was available to order now from all FTTH suppliers but not available (or switched on/connected) until 12th June

ah right thanks Navi - thats where i am getting my wires crossed then. I was thinking it was available to order now from all FTTH suppliers but not available (or switched on/connected) until 12th June

No .... No provider can actually place an order until that ready-for-order date passed. And OpenEIR may still move it, if they have issues with the build.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No .... No provider can actually place an order until that ready-for-order date passed. And OpenEIR may still move it, if they have issues with the build.

/M

ah right thanks, the ready-for-order date being 12th of June then in my case?

.. and even then that could all change still?

ah right thanks, the ready-for-order date being 12th of June then in my case?

.. and even then that could all change still?

Obviously if they encounter an unforeseen problem the date would have to change. The live date is the one predicted if everything goes to plan.

OK all thanks for the info and answers, I shall keep you posted. I'm keeping everything crossed anyway.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ch1co

Hi Folks
    I moved into a new build in an estate in Galway County that has copper broadband. I've been told that all newly built houses (7 currently) in the estate are to be ftth. When I put my eircode into the area checker it shows fibre is available at the house.
    I ordered initially with sky who after nearly 3 months and 2 missed installation dates cancelled the order. Was told that there was no date from their planning dept to install.

It does turn out that work is needed by a technician to bring the wire from the road outside the house to the box on the wall (have attached a photo of the box).

From following this thread I took a look at the poles just outside the estate and the black fibre boxes are up there.

Have since ordered fibre with eir recently and there is someone due out in the next 5 days.

Has anyone experience with this, does it normally take long before work is carried out (how long is a piece of string possibly) and is there anything I should ask the technician when they call out?

Thanks, sorry for the long post.

Which checker did you use? What result does your Eircode receive on

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

and

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement

Which checker did you use? What result does your Eircode receive on

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

and

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Hi Navi.
    Both say available.See attachments below.
    Thanks

Ch1co wrote: »
    Hi Navi.
    Thanks

Forgot one of them

Ch1co wrote: »
    Hi Navi.
    Thanks

You should be good to go. The installer when he comes will bring a cable from the black DP box through your duct. He will likely want to drill through the back of the white box unless the fibre cable can fit through whatever that purple Ethernet cable is passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WhoJackie

Just got the green light for fibre in my area checking the Eircode (wasn't notified by eir)
    Was in shock as current adsl is about 5mbps, and to cope I'm using 3's 4G router for the last while.

KN guys arrived on Wednesday and said the black box (fibre splitter) has been on pole about 6 months ��

Property is surrounded by trees covering the current phone line so they said it was not viable.

Suggested I install a duct on nearest pole (which is about 10 metres from property) run it parallel along the outside grass margin, cross under the fence into my property, run it up the lawn, then need to cut approx 3 metre section of concrete (and I guess they bring the line up the wall)

So, its far from being straight forward as I had hoped and a lot more hands on (60 or so metres of pipe, con saw rental, re cement cut section and a whole lot of digging)

And then theres still an installation fee on top of all that... ��

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Could you trim a path through the trees? Ruling it out when an existing line takes that route seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

WhoJackie wrote: »
    Just got the green light for fibre in my area checking the Eircode (wasn't notified by eir)
    Was in shock as current adsl is about 5mbps, and to cope I'm using 3's 4G router for the last while.

KN guys arrived on Wednesday and said the black box (fibre splitter) has been on pole about 6 months ��

Property is surrounded by trees covering the current phone line so they said it was not viable.

Suggested I install a duct on nearest pole (which is about 10 metres from property) run it parallel along the outside grass margin, cross under the fence into my property, run it up the lawn, then need to cut approx 3 metre section of concrete (and I guess they bring the line up the wall)

So, its far from being straight forward as I had hoped and a lot more hands on (60 or so metres of pipe, con saw rental, re cement cut section and a whole lot of digging)

Yep there's nearly always work on homeowners/landowners part I really think they should be making this public knowledge along with the availability of ftth in an area can't be that hard to get organised the government could try to win votes by making a campaign to get an post to send leaflets to any eircode that comes live.
    Putting through trees is an option but if you think there's big boughs that look like they're going to snap off in the next couple of years you'd be mindful to put that into consideration. Underground is more effort but you'll know it's safe from falling debris.
    There is a shovel that is shaped like a crescent moon that you can use to part the grass without having to actually dig it just splits the ground in a V wedge where you can drop ducting in then just stamp it closed again leaving an imperceptible scar on the grass as opposed to a ton of topsoil everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wondered if it would be easier to stick up a pole or two along the boundary of a one-off house and bring the cable overhead to the gable from there ....... unless of course trees interfere on site also.

The other option which I never see mentioned is running the cable along a wall (say under the wall cap edge) where ducting is impractical (maybe high bedrock or such).

Are either of these feasible from openeir's point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

WhoJackie wrote: »

It's a lot of effort but hey better than not getting it and being stuck without proper interwebs.
    Builders should be forced to run open ducts to the road on every premises for services - if the ducts are blocked then it should be up to the owner/person requesting the service to unblock the ducts. The overhead solutions are really not feasible where there are a lot of trees. I have been more than happy to tear up my garden to get a duct in for connecting to this service. It's a lot of effort but well worth it imo. I don't want a service where a branch breaks the line and I need to wait 3 weeks or more for it to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What is it with all the blocked ducts and the idea it's normal? If you seal the ends, you wont get a blockage. Who in their right mind would leave one end of a duct open, either pointing up vertically, and just asking for it, or even worse, buried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

cnocbui wrote: »
    What is it with all the blocked ducts and the idea it's normal? If you seal the ends, you wont get a blockage. Who in their right mind would leave one end of a duct open, either pointing up vertically, and just asking for it, or even worse, buried?

In the brothers house - recently built builder put in the duct for phone line and it was blocked out at the road - when KN came to install.
    He proceeded to dig and investigate and found it was where Eircom had joined the duct with an L connector - hence the blockage - so in that case Eircom were the problem - I pity the KN guys with the crap they have to deal with from badly placed poles to almost horizontal poles - then deal with all the blocked ducts - it's incredible alright reminds me of the frozen water lines because the water meters being installed at such a shallow level. We're not very clever when it comes to infrastructure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement