Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

for those interested in testing your 1Gbps connection
    I've noticed that along with Airwire and Carlow, that enet in limerick can also manage at least 2Gbps (the limit of the connection i'm using to test)

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8290704484

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys what should I be looking out for when KN guys start working on fibre in my area?

I see 2 KN guys in my area tracing cables underground so i'm just curious to know what to look out for.

What would typically be the first thing KN would do if Fibre was being installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys what should I be looking out for when KN guys start working on fibre in my area?

I see 2 KN guys in my area tracing cables underground so i'm just curious to know what to look out for.

What would typically be the first thing KN would do if Fibre was being installed?

Poles being replaced and access chambers on/at side of roads being rebuilt are generally the first steps. They would then check ducting between chambers which may be what you observed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it depends on what is required on your road, for me the first signs were upgrading the ducting and installing new manholes over a 2km stretch of road, this was a very drawn out process. Almost a year later the fibre was fed through the ducts and up onto the poles closer to my house.

Some roads see basically no activity till about a month before launch, if there is no ducting in the area, they will string the fibre along the poles over the course of 1-3 days and install the black DP's about a week later and then wait to go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

The first KN guy in the area I saw was the guy doing my installation..If that's any help:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Poles being replaced, maybe a year before fibre is actually strung, then the big giveaway is the black DP boxes appearing on poles.

Interesting the KN guys doing work near the exchange are saying Fibre should be up and going in the area in 2 months

I believe it when I see it tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

brianbruff wrote: »
    for those interested in testing your 1Gbps connection
    I've noticed that along with Airwire and Carlow, that enet in limerick can also manage at least 2Gbps (the limit of the connection i'm using to test)

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8290704484

that's incredible, not sure how it's possible to be achieve the max speed, apart from the speedtest.net website.

Guys

Just a question on my current setup. My house phone line runs into the house underground and into the main door where it terminates at a socket

Here's a picture of it:

dlFRSSA.jpg

So the cable comes down from the Eir pole, into that piping and goes underground through the front garden and into the house

Will I run into issues with installing fibre? My worries is there's probably alot of water in that black piping and would eir run a cable through that?

I want to be ready for the Fibre....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Water is not a problem ....... the main problem with such ducting is blockage ...... maybe a collapsed part or damaged at some point or might even be something crawled in there and dies.

To be well prepared you could check that the duct is clear from one end to the other.

• Advertisement

Water is not a problem ....... the main problem with such ducting is blockage ...... maybe a collapsed part or damaged at some point or might even be something crawled in there and dies.

To be well prepared you could check that the duct is clear from one end to the other.

It would be very hard to check the the ducting as it runs a bit of a distance between the Eir pole and the termination point

Wonder could I get somebody like a plumber with a drain camera to check it.

Also just out of interest if I run Cat 6 cable through the ducting and have it hanging out near the Eir pole, would eir connect up the Cat 6 to the fibre cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It would be very hard to check the the ducting as it runs a bit of a distance between the Eir pole and the termination point

Wonder could I get somebody like a plumber with a drain camera to check it.

Also just out of interest if I run Cat 6 cable through the ducting and have it hanging out near the Eir pole, would eir connect up the Cat 6 to the fibre cable?

You can hire a rod on a reel to probe the duct and check it is clear or otherwise..

Fibre is brought into the premises and terminated there.
    So no to your cat cable.

If you have the opportunity it might be helpful if you have a pull rope in the duct, but if the duct is clear that should not really be necessary. The fibre cable is quite strong ..... sharp bends in the duct could interfere with its insertion.

Thanks alot Johnboy1951

Great thinking. I might get that rope suggestion into action as would probably save alot of hassle for all parties.

I was worried that Eir/KN would not run the cable through the ducting but appears that's not the case and I should be good to go

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Guys does anyone have some pictures of what gets installed in one's house with Fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Guys does anyone have some pictures of what gets installed in one's house with Fibre?

An ODP and ONT

56720d01f53b12b37fc0b55e55c53b3d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

tuxy wrote: »
    An ODP and ONT

That picture is outdated. The ONT is now smaller than the ODP.

See attached

I found this on Eir's website which gives a brief on requirements along with a picture

bojqntc.png

Can anyone tell me how big is the fibre cable running into the house (thick width etc, a picture would be handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Took a bit more work than I envisaged but finally ready and fibre ordered. :eek:

Could not get the duct cleared coming into the house so had to hire a mini digger in the end to dig a section of new trench and add a new length of ducting which I have run up beside a down pipe and up through the soffit into the attic.

Of course, when doing the digging, I managed to snap the copper wire where the existing black ducting joined the red ducting coming into the house. This give me the opportunity to use the copper wire to pull a draw string back out the the pole and then pull the copper wire back in and add a new length at the snap to get phone back up and running again.

Must be a slight crush in the ducting along its length as there is a tight spot when pulling the cable through which hopefully does not impact on the fibre installation. Seems to be under the driveway so couldn't go digging!

@headshot - would certainly be worth hiring out a cobra reel to check you ducting, about €20 from your nearest hire depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This from eir's third quarter and nine months ended 31 March 2019

- 337,000 total FTTH premises passed, 275,000 as part of rural rollout

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-announces-third-quarter-FY19-results-to-31-March-2019/

• Advertisement

I found this on Eir's website which gives a brief on requirements along with a picture

Can anyone tell me how big is the fibre cable running into the house (thick width etc, a picture would be handy :)

6mm

Fibre-cable-2.jpg

Thanks Navi.

Very handy to know the width of the black fibre cable which appears to be 6mm so I can make sure it's able to get into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Are the installers strict on having this twin socket?

I have a 4 port extension lead connected to a UPS in the attic and would prefer to use this.

The 4 port will probably have to be swapped for a 6 or 8 port anyways to accommodate the extra hardware but that's a lot easier than connecting an extra socket.

tcawley29 wrote: »

I have a 4 port extension lead connected to a UPS in the attic and would prefer to use this.

The 4 port will probably have to be swapped for a 6 or 8 port anyways to accommodate the extra hardware but that's a lot easier than connecting an extra socket.

Once there is available power you should be fine. He'll just want the job completed as quick as possible.

The Cush wrote: »
    This from eir's third quarter and nine months ended 31 March 2019

- 337,000 total FTTH premises passed, 275,000 as part of rural rollout

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-announces-third-quarter-FY19-results-to-31-March-2019/

It would be interesting to see what they deem passed to mean as their APQ had only 305000 premises available two weeks ago.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110220759&postcount=8534

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

tcawley29 wrote: »

I believe officially attic installs are not allowed but has anyone ever had an installer refuse it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

tuxy wrote: »
    I believe officially attic installs are not allowed but has anyone ever had an installer refuse it?

No big deal if he won't but the auld lad can go up and pull cable if he really doesn't want to do it.

He probably would though as the attic is fully floored so very safe to work in, easy to run cable and very easy to get it into the hot press. Even if the installer only got the cable to follow the duct into the attic I'd have it pulled to the hot press and ready in less than 5 minutes myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jones

Very strange scenario for me wondering does anyone have anything similar.

I live on a rural road in North County Dublin and have FTTC through Eir but only getting 7mb speed download due to the distance from the cabinet - this has always been the case. My issue is my road is a rural cul-de-sac road with approx 33 houses on it and half the road (16) were given FTTH and are fully operational 150mb speed whereas the other half (which i am on) remained on the same 7mb. Note none of these houses are new all houses 10+years old. When i check my eircode i get the following message

"As your premise is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband it is included in the National Broadband Plan (NBP). The NBP is a government sponsored programme to deliver high speed broadband to all homes and businesses in Ireland. Further details on the NBP can be found here."

But how does this make sense if they have already finished half the houses on the same road? Assuming all coming from the same cabinet as this is a rural part of Dublin how can it be commercially viable to only complete half the road?

A very confused poster

Has the service been available for a while to your neighbours? Is it possible that they may have cabled your side but it has not been switched on yet? Have you tried your Eircode on

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Otherwise you are likely a victim of their planning, whether deliberate or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jones

Has the service been available for a while to your neighbours? Is it possible that they may have cabled your side but it has not been switched on yet? Have you tried your Eircode on

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Otherwise you are likely a victim of their planning, whether deliberate or otherwise.

Thanks for the reply yes they rolled out in the last 9 months and are fully operational. They installed little black cone objects on all the polls on the road but the fiber literally stopped half way up the road and no plans to continue it. I spoke with the engineers at the time and they said it was ridiculous but there was nothing they could do. Very frustrating especially with the disparity between the first half of the road and the second half (7mb v 150mb)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement