Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to spend excess Credit [Vodafone&Three on Android + iOS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for that. How does the Viber out billing work? Can I link it to my 3 prepaid credit balance & pay for it that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thanks for that. How does the Viber out billing work? Can I link it to my 3 prepaid credit balance & pay for it that way?

Yes precisely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

How does Viber Out differ from the regular Viber we used before? And does she need to have the Viber app on her mobile phone, as before? Or are they 2 different things?

Yolla is another option. Can use your credit to buy credits. I've used it to to call landlines & never had an issue. I've found the call quality much better than Viber out, but that might be just a personal thing.

So it's just a matter downloading either the Yolla or Viber Out apps (or both) on my phone, link my plan & payment preference to my 3 prepaid phone billing, and away I go?

Viber Out's US only plan is only 1.99 per month for unlimited calls to US landlines and mobiles, which is fantastic. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Any hidden quirks or pitfalls to be aware of?

If I were to call my sister on her US mobile, I presume the incoming call from me registers on her end as coming from a mobile? Her mobile carrier charges her very high rates for incoming international calls & texts from foreign phones, so it's something I need to be mindful of.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭go4it

@ProdDUB : use built-up prepaid credit to top up/buy credits on the platform of choice ( yolla, viber , etc)
    Use the credits to place phone calls . Calling to US is cheap or close to nothing because USA telco charges the subscribers for incoming calls too ( a different approach in charging customers, comparing to Europe)

If you're comfortable with IT technologies, there's other cheap options available for you ( local US number, google voice number, etc) but more details you can find on voip forum ( not to hijack the bargain alerts forum )

• Advertisement

go4it wrote: »
    @ProdDUB : use built-up prepaid credit to top up/buy credits on the platform of choice ( yolla, viber , etc)
    Use the credits to place phone calls . Calling to US is cheap or close to nothing because USA telco charges the subscribers for incoming calls too ( a different approach in charging customers, comparing to Europe)

If you're comfortable with IT technologies, there's other cheap options available for you ( local US number, google voice number, etc) but more details you can find on voip forum ( not to hijack the bargain alerts forum )

Thanks for that.

Not very tech minded, so want to keep this as simple as possible.

So what you're saying is that due to how US phone companies do their billing, she will get charged if I ring her on her US mobile from my mobile (using Viber Out etc) and if I ring her on her landline? Or is it just mobile to mobile that incurs high charges on her end?

This is not going to be an option for us, if it means jacked up phone bills on her end.

Edit: Just downloaded the Viber app & went to buy the 1.99 US Viber Out subscription & 4.99 for a local number. Couldn't use my 3 phone plan to pay for it. The only payment options were use PayPal, a credit card or redeem a voucher. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thanks for that.

Not very tech minded, so want to keep this as simple as possible.

So what you're saying is that due to how US phone companies do their billing, she will get charged if I ring her on her US mobile from my mobile (using Viber Out etc) and if I ring her on her landline? Or is it just mobile to mobile that incurs high charges on her end?

This is not going to be an option for us, if it means jacked up phone bills on her end.

Edit: Just downloaded the Viber app & went to buy the 1.99 US Viber Out subscription & 4.99 for a local number. Couldn't use my 3 phone plan to pay for it. The only payment options were use PayPal, a credit card or redeem a voucher. Any ideas?

It's down until Tuesday, someone mentioned yesterday

Oh right, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭shanmo

Should we be able to use our credit for Google movies on three?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

shanmo wrote: »
    Should we be able to use our credit for Google movies on three?

Movies on Play Store? Yeah... but only after Tuesday once the maintenance upgrade is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭shanmo

mrcheez wrote:
    Movies on Play Store? Yeah... but only after Tuesday once the maintenance upgrade is complete.

Thanks.

One of my monthly subs has missed a payment. Hopefully it stays on schedule to be up and running again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

3 Billing should be back by 9am on Tuesday. Three posted this notification on their forum:
    https://notifications.three.ie/service-notification/consumer-systems-update-2019

My YouTube Premium subscription payment failed on Saturday, so will see if it goes through tomorrow. Google sent me a notificaion to say my benefits will end on Tuesday if it remains unpaid. Nice to see they offer a grace period to cover the outage. With Spotify, I instantly lost Spotify Premium when a payment failed.

editorsean wrote: »
    3 Billing should be back by 9am on Tuesday. Three posted this notification on their forum:
    https://notifications.three.ie/service-notification/consumer-systems-update-2019

My YouTube Premium subscription payment failed on Saturday, so will see if it goes through tomorrow. Google sent me a notificaion to say my benefits will end on Tuesday if it remains unpaid. Nice to see they offer a grace period to cover the outage. With Spotify, I instantly lost Spotify Premium when a payment failed.

It says there no top-ups can be done during this period either. I topped up my phone via AIB this morning... would have been nice if they sent us all a text notification about this downtime!

editorsean wrote: »

My missed payment was for Office 365. When I logged in on my laptop today, it said I had to pay by November 19th to continue to get my benefits. Very lenient!

Warning for all.

I had a failed payment for Google play music due to lack of credit. Now I can't use my credit to pay for it ever again. Have been onto 3 and Google about it but nothing can be done to restore payment by credit.

Warning for all.

I had a failed payment for Google play music due to lack of credit. Now I can't use my credit to pay for it ever again. Have been onto 3 and Google about it but nothing can be done to restore payment by credit.

Jesus, maybe you can via a separate Google account?

Warning for all.

Time to switch to Indian YouTube Premium for €2.50/month :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 461 ✭✭TetraSonic55

Warning for all.

Did you try removing 3 as a payment method and try set it up again?

sugarman wrote: »
    They no longer accept carrier billing, once you let it lapse it's gone.

This. Wouldn't let me add it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They no longer accept carrier billing, once you let it lapse it's gone.

Who no longer accept it? Three or Google?
    Seems a bit scurrilous to have an outage with no notifications and then cancel everyone's features. Time for a letter to comreg complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Looks like the 3Pay billing is screwed up after their maintenance weekend. The transaction fails as far as Google Play Store is concerned, but 3 still deduct the credit from your account.

https://forum.three.ie/t5/Prepay/PlayStore-Transaction-failed-but-Three-said-it-succeed/m-p/38308#M12064
    https://forum.three.ie/t5/Prepay/Three-Pay-Billing-failed-but-still-charged/m-p/38300#M12058

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Google. They have the right to chose whatever payment methods they want to accept. Same as any other business. No grounds for complaints there.

Fair enough, assumed it was on the 3 side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Fair enough, assumed it was on the 3 side.

it is with 3. All to do with prices.

My Play Store subscription to MS Office just went through, so it would seem to be back up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

My YouTube Premium subscription also renewed successfully at 7pm this evening.

In my case I didn't try removing 3 billing or changing payment option at any stage during the outage. As Google said they would try charging again, I just left it untouched. I received a payment declined notification in the YouTube App around 11am, so seems like Three didn't get their billing up until later in the day. However, at least I didn't get charged for the declined payment attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

My Youtube Premium went through last night after failing the first time a few hours previously (Vodafone)

If carrier billing has been removed then it is a blow. Bought like 30 movies from Google Play Movies in the past.

If it is kept active by us the end user, and we are grandfathered in, then all good i guess, but it was/is a great way to spend credit.

Hey guys.

First time Viber Out subscriber here. I've been trying to add 3 billing to pay for my US calling plan subscription, but it's saying it's unavailable.

Is this the carrier billing feature being removed, that you are all talking about? I've never bought anything via the Google Play Store before (have only ever downloaded free apps from it) so am not sure how it all works.

Hey guys.

First time Viber Out subscriber here. I've been trying to add 3 billing to pay for my US calling plan subscription, but it's saying it's unavailable.

Is this the carrier billing feature being removed, that you are all talking about? I've never bought anything via the Google Play Store before (have only ever downloaded free apps from it) so am not sure how it all works.

Option coming up for me at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Ok for me also, though I did just realise that it works on only one email address (I have another for YouTube premium so I can pay in INR via revolut)

Advertisement