Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Was just looking at the online prices and groups etc.

It says you can go online on any switch, as the online membership is tied to your account.
    It also says that another account on your same switch that doesn't have an online membership can't go online.

Is that the same on XBOX/PS4?

That must be what the family pass is for anyway. It's kinda necessary if you're sharing a Switch.

Yes it's the same on p4. At least that's what the internet told me back when I was trying to play monster hunter world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

The_B_Man wrote: »
    It says you can go online on any switch, as the online membership is tied to your account.

Same as Xbox/PS4
    It also says that another account on your same switch that doesn't have an online membership can't go online.

Not the same as Xbox/PS4. If one account has Xbox Live/PSN sub (and the console is set as primary), all other accounts on the console can use online services without the need for another sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aM7ttk_8-Y

new voice chat this friday built new voice chat into the switch with new updates with headphones with microphone for communication purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I would love if the developers at Fortnite were like "You're joking right? It's 2018!" to Nintendo when asked to use their phone app. Something else I'm curious to see is if all online games outside of Nintendo will be made use their charged online service because there are games that can go online that don't use servers and don't cost money, they're p2p. I know Fortnite isn't p2p.

sligeach wrote: »
    I would love if the developers at Fortnite were like "You're joking right? It's 2018!" to Nintendo when asked to use their phone app. Something else I'm curious to see is if all online games outside of Nintendo will be made use their charged online service because there are games that can go online that don't use servers and don't cost money, they're p2p. I know Fortnite isn't p2p.

On treehouse the guys tone of voice was like of course we have voice chat, it's 2018. He didn't say it like that though. He made a point to say it was on the console though.

• Advertisement

Nintendo e3 report there is new update this weekend for new a voice chat on the switch built into the switch system its self for every switch game. No more needed for voice chat app from your smartphone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Smertrius wrote: »
    Nintendo e3 report there is new update this weekend for new a voice chat on the switch built into the switch system its self for every switch game. No more needed for voice chat app from your smartphone

Oh WOW!! Thank the divine Lord!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Good riddance. Too bad it's limited to Fortnite.

Huge news!
    Finally!

Are you sure this isn't just the Fortnite update coming in a few days?

• Advertisement

Fortnite Nintendo Switch Voice Chat Works Without Online App
    ...According to Epic Games, Fortnite is bringing its own built-in voice chat to the Nintendo Switch. What that means is instead of using the Nintendo Switch’s complicated voice chat system, which requires a cell phone running the Nintendo Switch Online App, players can run voice chat through their own mic and the Nintendo Switch. It will still require a headset or microphone that can plug into the Nintendo Switch’s headphone jack, but at least it cuts out the cell phone and app.

Epic Games says that Fortnite‘s voice chat is not yet available on Nintendo Switch, but that it plans to turn on the service on Thursday....

https://gamerant.com/fortnite-switch-voice-chat/

Yep, this seems to be just a custom fix for Fortnite.

this September from eshop as part online service from nintendo switch , there will be virtual console for the nintendo switch and the retro games will listed by games their games titles names, not their consoles names

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

this September from eshop as part online service from nintendo switch , there will be virtual console for the nintendo switch and the retro games will listed by games their games titles names, not their consoles names

Won't be Virtual Console though, the whole thing is being rebranded and redesigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Won't be Virtual Console though, the whole thing is being rebranded and redesigned.

'Nintendo Classics' would make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Within a family, members do not share MyNintendo points, eShop account balances, and purchase history.

Seems to suggest that games can't be shared between a 'family'.

Nintendo's hugely popular phone app now lets you have voice chat in the following games:
    • Splatoon 2
    • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    • ARMS
    • Mario Tennis ACES
    • NES

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/app/

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

While I still think it's a ridiculous idea having voice chat through an app, what's more annoying to me is no other games having something like Splatnet2. Stat tracking for Arms and MK8D etc inside the app would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 kingcon28

sligeach wrote: »
    Nintendo's hugely popular phone app now lets you have voice chat in the following games:
    • Splatoon 2
    • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    • ARMS
    • Mario Tennis ACES
    • NES

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/app/

*unpopular

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

kingcon28 wrote: »
    *unpopular

I assume it was laced with sarcasm as we all know it's a dud.
    I'd love to be able to browse the eShop, view manuals of the games in my library and god forbid buy some games through the app but that may be asking for too much in 2018 from Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-14-nintendo-requires-weekly-online-check-in-to-play-nes-games

Weekly check in for NES game's, that's up there with Xbox One DRM IMO....

I think I'm running out of reasons to to own a Switch now, which is a pity as Zelda is still my favourite game I've probably ever played on a Nintendo machine

• Registered Users Posts: 27,839 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fieldog wrote: »
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-14-nintendo-requires-weekly-online-check-in-to-play-nes-games

Weekly check in for NES game's, that's up there with Xbox One DRM IMO....

I think I'm running out of reasons to to own a Switch now, which is a pity as Zelda is still my favourite game I've probably ever played on a Nintendo machine

It's going to have to connect to use cloud saves so will it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's going to have to connect to use cloud saves so will it really matter?

Cloud saves wouldn't really be a reason for me to get it to be fair...

Not that I spend much time gaming in the Ozzie outback but I do bring my switch to Spain all the time and I am not guaranteed to have internet there if I'm in the mountains somewhere....

Yes I know I can connect to my phone but that isn't always available to me either...

Your Cloud Saves Will Be Erased When Your Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Expires

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/09/14/your-cloud-saves-will-be-erased-when-your-nintendo-switch-online-subscription-expires/
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-cloud-saves-are-erased-after-your-subscription-expires.68431/
    https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Nintendo-Switch-Online/FAQ-1374625.html

Nintendo liked using the analogy of a fridge back on the Wii. Well, you'd better not let the fridge ever lose power or everything will go off, literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Why would they keep them?

The saves are still on your Switch anyway.

Want Cloud Saves? Pay the fee. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The problem with game sites online is that they tend to scramble to be the first to report things, often inaccurately because of it.

From Nintendo NA, they are saying that cloud saves will be retained for an 'extended period' after the subscription ends. Who knows which one is right but even Resetera has changed their thread title now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Mr E wrote: »
    Why would they keep them?

The saves are still on your Switch anyway.

Want Cloud Saves? Pay the fee. :o

Only partly ageee.

I’m not saying they should keep saves forever but it would be good (and fairly standard) practice to cut off your access *but* keep your data for at least a few weeks after the subscription expires; and to send you an email telling you that if you don’t renew your subscription before whatever date the data will be permanently deleted.

A customer who forgot to renew or didn’t realise their payment card bounced for whatever reason will appreciate to be given the opportunity to fix the issue before their data is wiped.

It costs pretty much nothing to do it, and when you can be more friendly with your customers at no cost why not doing it (it might also get some of them to change their mind and subscribe again when they get the warning email ... all good for Nintendo as well).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Corholio wrote: »
    The problem with game sites online is that they tend to scramble to be the first to report things, often inaccurately because of it.

From Nintendo NA, they are saying that cloud saves will be retained for an 'extended period' after the subscription ends. Who knows which one is right but even Resetera has changed their thread title now.

That would make a whole lot more sense.

Advertisement