Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

sligeach wrote: »

So we can do a group? That's nice, worth it for sure 35/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

iamtony wrote: »
    Is there a list of the 20 nes games? Some old games I'd love to play against online opponents.
    The first ten are:
    [*]Ice Climber
    [*]The Legend of Zelda
    [*]Balloon Fight
    [*]Soccer
    [*]Tennis
    [*]Mario Bros.
    [*]Super Mario Bros.
    [*]Dr. Mario
    [*]Super Mario Bros. 3
    [*]Donkey Kong

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

NINTENDO BANS PROMINENT HACKER’S SWITCH FROM GOING ONLINE

https://nintendosoup.com/nintendo-bans-prominent-hackers-switch-from-going-online/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

https://nintendosoup.com/nintendo-bans-prominent-hackers-switch-from-going-online/

So, when you are asked what you were doing when the war began, you can say what you were doing right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If the console was modded and he was playing copyright material then it serves him right.

• Advertisement

I watched this yesterday and was thinking of posting it, given what's happened today, I will.

I ported Outrun to the Nintendo Switch - Switch RCM Method and Homebrew Dev Setup Guide | MVG

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QU8sKsr6lO4

I don't know if it's true, but he says what he's doing is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure it's not the first console to be banned due to hacking. Same with MS and Sony. If you want to hack your console, it's best not to hack the one you play online with.
    And sure would you want to play Mario Kart or Splatoon with someone who has it hacked?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sure it's not the first console to be banned due to hacking. Same with MS and Sony. If you want to hack your console, it's best not to hack the one you play online with.
    And sure would you want to play Mario Kart or Splatoon with someone who has it hacked?

No, absolutely not. But what the guy above and others are doing is completely different. I hate hackers that ruin online games. I remember on my Wii, w@nk€r$ ruined Black Ops, and one in particular hacked my Black Ops account, removing all my weapons and gave me negative in the 100's of thousands XP points, making it basically useless and so I had to start again, I think I was up at level 48 of the max 50.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

No, absolutely not. But what the guy above and others are doing is completely different. I hate hackers that ruin online games. I remember on my Wii, w@nk€r$ ruined Black Ops, and one in particular hacked my Black Ops account, removing all my weapons and gave me negative in the 100's of thousands XP points, making it basically useless and so I had to start again, I think I was up at level 48 of the max 50.

I remember hacking was rife in the Goldeneye re-boot for the Wii but then it just sort of stopped. The top 10 players in the EU had stupidly high ratings and then everyone else just got on with it. Had a lot of fun with that after the hackers left*

*the game was decidedly mediocre, the contrast from a hacker-infested game to a 'clean' game made it seem much better :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QU8sKsr6lO4

At around 10:40 he refers to the code being formed partly by the original Outrun rom so, right there, is where it wobbles off into non-legal territory.
    I mean, it's pretty awesome to see something as great as Outrun on the Switch.

It really is.

But the game is still IP, it is property of Sega and using it like this is illegal.
    Lots of us have Rpi emulation machines, and they have "files" that are all a form of theft and, as individuals we live with that.

But if this guy is suggesting that it is legal to play Outrun on the Switch, he is either really wrong or misrepresenting what he is doing.

Perhaps he owns the original PCB, from which the rom is sourced, but even then it is covered in copyright afaik and he can't alter the code to work elsewhere legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think it's a good thing that Nintendo have the ability to recognise and react to modified consoles online. No modified console should be freely able to access paid online services. I'd imagine the person involved in this was probably expecting it at some point
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    At around 10:40 he refers to the code being formed partly by the original Outrun rom so, right there, is where it wobbles off into non-legal territory.
    I mean, it's pretty awesome to see something as great as Outrun on the Switch.

It really is.

But the game is still IP, it is property of Sega and using it like this is illegal.
    Lots of us have Rpi emulation machines, and they have "files" that are all a form of theft and, as individuals we live with that.

But if this guy is suggesting that it is legal to play Outrun on the Switch, he is either really wrong or misrepresenting what he is doing.

Perhaps he owns the original PCB, from which the rom is sourced, but even then it is covered in copyright afaik and he can't alter the code to work elsewhere legally.

What he's saying is he ported the source code of the Cannonball engine to the Switch. This engine is a complete re-write of the original Outrun engine, and the source code is freely available online. The official rom is required for gfx and sfx as far as I know, and you'll notice he didn't link to the rom via his video...I'd say he's fully aware sharing the rom would be against copyright protection.

When he's saying what he's doing is legal, he's talking about not using any Nintendo SDK's, and not using any Nintendo proprietary libraries or software development tools either. He's referring to homebrew coding which doesn't impeach on any of Nintendo's existing software development tools.

But, while he may believe he isn't breaking any Nintendo rules, he is using Sega code which remains their IP.
    It's still pretty cool and, if there's no other way to use it, I'd consider installing the hack to use Plex on my Switch.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, while he may believe he isn't breaking any Nintendo rules, he is using Sega code which remains their IP.
    It's still pretty cool and, if there's no other way to use it, I'd consider installing the hack to use Plex on my Switch.

He doesn't state in his video though that the Outrun files are a free for all, he's talking about not using Nintendo development tools to port to the Switch. Nowhere does he link to or share any copyright protected code. The code he has ported, is the open source code to Cannonball, which is a rewrite of the Outrun engine. I can't find out if this rewrite is or isn't using any of Sega's original code, but the fact it's freely available through GitHub suggests there's nothing untoward with Cannonball itself. Where copyright is potentially breached, is requiring the original arcade rom file for Outrun, which supplies the graphics and sound to the rewritten Cannonball engine.

As for the exploit itself, I'll 100% be using it once Atmosphere is launched, and Retroarch is ported over to the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Inviere wrote: »
    He doesn't state in his video though that the Outrun files are a free for all, he's talking about not using Nintendo development tools to port to the Switch. Nowhere does he link to or share any copyright protected code. The code he has ported, is the open source code to Cannonball, which is a rewrite of the Outrun engine. I can't find out if this rewrite is or isn't using any of Sega's original code, but the fact it's freely available through GitHub suggests there's nothing untoward with Cannonball itself. Where copyright is potentially breached, is requiring the original arcade rom file for Outrun, which supplies the graphics and sound to the rewritten Cannonball engine.

As for the exploit itself, I'll 100% be using it once Atmosphere is launched, and Retroarch is ported over to the Switch.

Hi all,
    Anyone any solid recommendations\sellers on eBay to get the Jig from? If it's not allowed on here to be discussed can you PM me please? I have my second Switch and now want to start fiddling!

Thanks,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Anyone any solid recommendations\sellers on eBay to get the Jig from? If it's not allowed on here to be discussed can you PM me please? I have my second Switch and now want to start fiddling!

Thanks,
    M

There's a dedicated thread here for discussion on the Switch firmware exploits

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If the console was modded and he was playing copyright material then it serves him right.

He is against piracy, so he claims. He makes a lot of hacks and tries to go out of his way to limit the ability to pirate (current) games (because somehow people don't see emulation as piracy).

My money's on this being a targeted ban. He's one of the people that'll get the switch system fully opened up to everyone and their dog. Nintendo would be mad not to slow him down any way they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't think Nintendo are only going to ban people who use a hack for wrong doing. Are they going to ask everyone "I see you've a hacked Switch, do you intend to use this for purposes that will affect other players or piracy?" Would be like the "Are you a terrorist" question at airports

/\/ollog wrote: »
    My money's on this being a targeted ban.

I very much doubt it. The fact they have the facility to ban at all, suggests it's something they've invested in in order to protect their online infrastructure. In order for that model to work, they need a way to identify consoles that have non standard/signed software on them. Once flagged, it's a slam dunk ban, and rightly so.

How on earth would they have identified his Switch out of the millions that go online every day if they didn't identify unsigned code running on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

its better deal compare to then sony and microsoft when their internet service is double price of nintendo switch a year

• Advertisement

Smertrius wrote: »
    its better deal compare to then sony and microsoft when their internet service is double price of nintendo switch a year

You can't say Nintendo offering is better than either of Sony's or Microsoft until we've had hands on with it.

I'd go as far to say that with the lack of the proper party function Nintendo is by far the worse option so far.

news from nintendo hackers will be banned from their network

and will be vc games on the switch this september

You can't say Nintendo offering is better than either of Sony's or Microsoft until we've had hands on with it.

I'd go as far to say that with the lack of the proper party function Nintendo is by far the worse option so far.

If you just want online they're cheapest.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    If you just want online they're cheapest.

That's true but Smertius said the service.

Microsoft is the only console that offers free cloud saves. With Sony you need a PS+ subscription.

lies i wouldn't call it free cloud service when you have to pay 60€ a year for microsoft network

lies i wouldn't call it free cloud service when you have to pay 60€ a year for microsoft network

You do not need an active Gold subscription to use Microsoft Cloud save functionality.

Have a read here

https://support.xbox.com/en-IE/games/game-setup/cloud-game-saves-faq

and more specifically see my screenshot below.

I also don't appreciate being called a liar. You might want to do a little research before jumping in feet first or at least ask politely if you are unsure.

no mention extra charge for cloud saves on nintendo website

no mention extra charge for cloud saves on nintendo website

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/#subscription-perks

Nintendo news website reported haCKERS WERE SO FAR WERE BANNED FROM NINTENDO NETWORK AND SINCE haCKERS WERE BANNED IN THE PAST, THEY WILL bAN haCKERS IN THE FUTURE

ACCORDING NINTENDO WEBSITE YOU CAN USE GOLD COINS TO BUY NINTENDO SWITCH GAMES FROM ESHOP AND NINTENDO SWITCH ONLINE SERVICE CARDS

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/nintendo_bans_online_services_for_prominent_hackers_switch_console

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Was just looking at the online prices and groups etc.

It says you can go online on any switch, as the online membership is tied to your account.
    It also says that another account on your same switch that doesn't have an online membership can't go online.

Is that the same on XBOX/PS4?

That must be what the family pass is for anyway. It's kinda necessary if you're sharing a Switch.

Advertisement