Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

For a man with a kick ass arcade setup, I can’t disagree with you too much Kevin! :D

Nintendo can’t really charge more than 20 a year to be fair - you get online play and access to 20+ year old roms - the best of which I have the originals of anyway. Game Pass is in another league altogether though, compared to Sony’s offering too it has to be said.

When Nintendo’s online service initially came out I had zero interest and got stung having to pay for a month’s worth after the trial expired, sneaky gits. But I’m happy enough to pay for it at the minute, solely for Animal Crossing/Splatoon etc. If they decide to increase the price, then as you said we can all vote with our wallets if we want.

In relation to your earlier point about the shortcomings of the service being a benefit for the safety of kids - yep I’d agree there, but it’s no substitute for parents not being lazy and taking even a passing interest in what their kids get up to online - if gaming is a new concept for them then they need to educate themselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

NES & Super NES - May Game Updates - Nintendo Switch Online

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Fq7D2Rpc9jg
    On May 20, four more games will be added to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ – Nintendo Switch Online and Nintendo Entertainment System™ – Nintendo Switch Online collections.

Super NES

Wild Guns – The Kid gang and their army of robots have taken over! Blast your way through villainous outlaws, diabolical robots and towering, screen-filling bosses. Fortunately, you’ve got plenty of moves to help you survive the firepower headed your way. You’ll need a sharp eye and quick-on-the-draw reflexes to survive on your own. Or team up with a friend and go out blazing in two-player co-op.

Panel de Pon – As the stack of puzzle pieces rises, think fast to match panels and set off cascading chain reactions and combos. You’ll have to make strategic choices quickly to counteract the relentless competitor attacks from above. A selection of single-player and two-player modes and options provides escalating action and zippy fun. This title originally launched for the Super Famicom in 1995, but this is the first time this version of the game will be available in the U.S. Though this title was never translated into English, it may seem familiar!

Operation Logic Bomb – Agent Logan, who has been fitted with bioelectronic implants that grant him superior strength, reflexes and analytical abilities, has been charged with a mission to save the Subspace Particle Transfer Project. It’s up to him to infiltrate, neutralize the intruders and rescue the scientists in a top-down shooter with giant bosses and frenzied action that doesn’t let up.

NES

Rygar – An old legend proclaimed, “When the peaceful land is covered with evil spirits, a brave soldier will be brought to life from the dead.” Luckily, Rygar, the mythical hero from Argus, has arrived in order to defeat the evil king Ligar and his army of dangerous beasts. Join forces with Rygar for a hybrid action-adventure game with a distinct blend of platforming and role-playing elements!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Give me Mystical Ninja or Give me DEATH!!!

Rygar will be fun

More Than 80 NES and Super NES Games are Now Available with Nintendo Switch Online

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2020/more-than-80-nes-and-super-nes-games-are-now-available-with-nintendo-switch-online/

If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't be bragging about this. It has 82 to be exact. The Wii had around 400 titles. And the Wii U has over 300, plus it had access to the Wii Shop Channel for a good while. All games that you own by the way, not rent. I'll leave it at that, before I get into the bigger topic of Nintendo Switch Online as a whole and what a farce it is.
    EYE00ysXYAc1N47?format=jpg&name=small

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

sligeach wrote: »
    More Than 80 NES and Super NES Games are Now Available with Nintendo Switch Online

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2020/more-than-80-nes-and-super-nes-games-are-now-available-with-nintendo-switch-online/

If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't be bragging about this. It has 82 to be exact. The Wii had around 400 titles. And the Wii U has over 300, plus it had access to the Wii Shop Channel for a good while. All games that you own by the way, not rent. I'll leave it at that, before I get into the bigger topic of Nintendo Switch Online as a whole and what a farce it is.
    EYE00ysXYAc1N47?format=jpg&name=small

So....the Switch giving you access to 82 NES & SNES games as part of the online service is bad because you could buy (at a non trivial cost per game) those games on the Wii or Wii U eShops?

Also worth noting that the staggered release of NES and SNES games on NSO is consistent with the release schedule on the eShop previously. And, frankly, for a majority of players, a cheap rental service for games from last century probably has more appeal than paying the best part of a tenner for a game old enough to have kids, a mortgage and a bald patch...

I mean, I'm not impressed at the state of NSO, I feel this is a daft angle from which to try and criticise it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Give me Mystical Ninja or Give me DEATH!!!

Rygar will be fun

I remember seeing a review of arcade Rygar in Computer and Video Games mag, I think, about 100 years ago and I thought, wow that looks like the most amazing game ever. Then I remember getting it on a compilation tape for an Amstrad a few years later and thinking even then what a terrible terrible conversion this is. I seem to remember you had to stop for the scrolling to catch up and there was like one enemy on the screen at a time. Must actually play the real thing on mame one of these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭eggy81

You can pick up your phone and text your friends who are playing with you... Not that difficult...

My 9 year old and his buddy dont have phones.

I actually think for 20 a year what you get is good value. My only issues are with the lobbying up and communications aspect of online play in the majority of titles.

Nintendo updated some trademarks recently.

GAME BOY ADVANCE AND MORE TRADEMARKS

https://japanesenintendo.com/2020/06/08/game-boy-advance-and-more-trademarks/

Not that it's related to this but it got me thinking. I'd say the Gameboy Advance will be the next system added to Nintendo Switch Online. The games are similar to SNES on a technical level, they're portable games that only require one screen, it would add portable games to the other 2 home consoles as a string to their marketing bow, the system has been done before already on Wii U and 3DS. I doubt it'd be hard for them to do so on Switch.

The N64 games are largely ugly by comparison. You take out Rare games and that's a sizeable chunk gone. OOT and Majora's Mask have had remakes on 3DS. So many of the 3rd party games have licensing issues, e.g. Rogue Squadron, Turok 2(and it's already on Switch in a different guise), Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer(similar story, though not out yet), wrestling games, etc.

There's also the rumours that Nintendo are going to release Super Mario 64 HD as part of Super Mario All-Stars 2. That would be a bit of a clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kingcon28

Nintendo updated some trademarks recently.

GAME BOY ADVANCE AND MORE TRADEMARKS

https://japanesenintendo.com/2020/06/08/game-boy-advance-and-more-trademarks/

Not that it's related to this but it got me thinking. I'd say the Gameboy Advance will be the next system added to Nintendo Switch Online. The games are similar to SNES on a technical level, they're portable games that only require one screen, it would add portable games to the other 2 home consoles as a string to their marketing bow, the system has been done before already on Wii U and 3DS. I doubt it'd be hard for them to do so on Switch.

The N64 games are largely ugly by comparison. You take out Rare games and that's a sizeable chunk gone. OOT and Majora's Mask have had remakes on 3DS. So many of the 3rd party games have licensing issues, e.g. Rogue Squadron, Turok 2(and it's already on Switch in a different guise), Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer(similar story, though not out yet), wrestling games, etc.

There's also the rumours that Nintendo are going to release Super Mario 64 HD as part of Super Mario All-Stars 2. That would be a bit of a clash.

Nintendo will never do what is sensible, the online service is a tragedy.

Can't message my friends, cant chat in party, no lobbys.

Awful awful stuff and it is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Quick question: the Nintendo online subscription, when buying from CDkeys etc., is it the EU version that we need here in Ireland? There isn't a specific UK and Ireland one?

• Advertisement

Tetris® 99 - 14th MAXIMUS CUP Gameplay Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tuhmzHS4ZEQ
    The Tetris 99 14th MAXIMUS CUP event runs from 12 a.m. PT on July 3 to 11:59 p.m. PT on July 6. To participate, you’ll need to be a Nintendo Switch Online member* and play the Tetris 99 online mode during the event period. You’ll earn event points based on your placement in each match. Once you’ve accumulated a total of 100 event points, a new theme will unlock, featuring art, music and Tetrimino designs inspired by Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition!

*Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online features. This game includes an in-game purchase option for users who do not have a membership. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Terms apply. http://nintendo.com/switch-online

NES & Super NES - July Game Updates - Nintendo Switch Online
    On July 15, three more games will be added to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ – Nintendo Switch Online and Nintendo Entertainment System™ – Nintendo Switch Online collections.

Super NES™

Donkey Kong Country – Armed with chest-pounding muscle, mighty barrel rolls, and awesome vine-swinging skills, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong set out to face their adversaries, K. Rool and his reptilian crew of Kremlings. Play solo, compete with a friend, or play cooperatively in over 100 levels filled with collectibles and hidden bonus levels.

Natsume Championship Wrestling – Choose from 12 outrageous wrestlers and bring the pain! With a robust grappling system and over 50 moves to master, experience the most realistic wrestling action of the 16-bit era! Test your might against the AI, or up to two players can compete in exhibition, tag team, and round robin matches!

NES

The Immortal – Grab your Wizard’s Pack and let your quest unfold as you explore the Labyrinth of Eternity. Delve into the dungeon’s depths to uncover the mysteries of the ancient ruins. Your teacher Mordamir awaits below!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0Hf_0OytL_c

Donkey Kong Country - Classified Information - Nintendo Switch Online
    Top Secret! This Donkey Kong Country - Classified Information video unveils secrets to get extra lives, go beyond 100% completion, and more!

On July 15, Donkey Kong, the unstoppable king of swing, returns to the Nintendo Switch system with his touchstone adventure, the classic Super NES™ game Donkey Kong Country. With a Nintendo Switch Online membership, you’ll be able to join Donkey Kong, his pal Diddy Kong and their trusty animal friends as they explore jungles, climb snowcapped mountains and ride rollicking minecarts to hunt down their missing bananas from a cruel gang of Kremlings.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qnf_XIZiNlQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

NES & Super NES - July Game Updates - Nintendo Switch Online

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0Hf_0OytL_c

Delighted that we're getting Donkey Kong. I don't understand why Nintendo are drip feeding us SNES games instead of the monthly releases they used to do. Why not release more of the big name games? Just give us Earthbound already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Notorious wrote: »
    I don't understand why Nintendo are drip feeding us SNES games instead of the monthly releases they used to do. Why not release more of the big name games? Just give us Earthbound already.

Mario-Money-Swimming_1200x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That picture might apply if the nes and snes games were available to buy on the Switch. As it stands there's nowhere for the vast majority of people to buy the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Hi probably wrong tread but some one may know the answer. My two boys love playing fortnite on the switch and there is a new item for sale in the item shop in this for 20 euro. Now all the other items you need vbucks for the skins etc. Just wondering as I will be buying a 25 eshop voucher for them each to get this does anybody know if you can convert the 25 into vbucks which I know you can do and get 2800 vbucks as you get 12% more and they will have some left over to spend on other things in fortnite. Or as it says 20 I just don't convert the eshop voucher into vbucks and just let them get the item for 20 and have a five euro shop still in credit? Sorry just I would prefer to get them the vbucks for the 25 euro but if it is not letting you use it on this I will just not let them get vbucks and use the eshop voucher as is. Sorry long rant as not sure on this as only skins that are saying price all rest saying vbucks in the item shop in fortnite. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Pocket Tournament DX full version is available for a week's trial for Nintendo online subscribers from today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Pocket Tournament DX full version is available for a week's trial for Nintendo online subscribers from today

Got the full game from Amazon a few years ago for €30, it's a neat little game ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
Advertisement