Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What does that mean for us here in dull, blustery Ireland?
    What time should I set the alarm, to get the credit card out to buy NES games I already have.... can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What does that mean for us here in dull, blustery Ireland?
    What time should I set the alarm, to get the credit card out to buy NES games I already have.... can't wait!

Isn't there a free trial for the first week!? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

4am by my calculation....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Maintenance starts at 1am, and Nintendo say "it will be unavailable for up to 3 hours", so it's possible that Nintendo Switch Online could be live before 4am.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sounds like an early start for me!

"Peter, we need to review the policy and procedures around client admission and discharge"
    Snore......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sounds like an early start for me!

"Peter, we need to review the policy and procedures around client admission and discharge"
    Snore......
    so your telling me your real name isn’t ciderman??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo Switch Online's Free Trial Will Charge You If You Don't Cancel
    The seven-day free trial will turn into a one-month subscription if you don't turn off automatic renewal.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-onlines-free-trial-will-charge-you/1100-6461805/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

sligeach wrote: »
    Nintendo Switch Online's Free Trial Will Charge You If You Don't Cancel
    The seven-day free trial will turn into a one-month subscription if you don't turn off automatic renewal.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-onlines-free-trial-will-charge-you/1100-6461805/

I don’t know if it’s a good thing, but it’s pretty much standard practice for online services and not exactly a surprise.

Yep, standard. Services like Audible work the same way.

• Advertisement

I wonder does it mean if you don’t cancel that free week is part of your first month sub? Otherwise standard practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

New update is up. It seems that it now enables game sharing with a secondary console, which is a big thing not to have bloody mentioned before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Corholio wrote: »
    New update is up. It seems that it now enables game sharing with a secondary console, which is a big thing not to have bloody mentioned before now.

wait what you can lend a digitally downloaded game to a friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

manual_man wrote: »
    wait what you can lend a digitally downloaded game to a friend?

Basically!
    Same restrictions as Playstation etc.

Begs to question whether anyone on this forum would be interested in a gamesharing topic/setup...

It's not exactly what you might expect when you hear the words "game sharing", as you can only play your downloadable titles on one device at a time. At the very least, it's a convenient feature to have if you do want to log in on another system to access your games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/nintendo_switch_now_supports_digital_game_sharing_but_theres_a_catch

I don't really see any major surprises with the update so far. Controllers automatically updated, which is new (I think}. Haven't paid for online yet, I'll do that later

About game sharing. Not great. The user that downloaded the game needs to be on the other switch, and with cloud saves, they get access to your progress.

So for example, I set up game sharing with my nephew (who has his own switch). I have to add a "Dave" profile on his Switch. If he loads Hollow Knight on his Switch (and he has to use my "Dave" profile to do it, he will get an error if he uses another profile), then he will start his game where I am (about 20 hours in).

Cue the inevitable "sh*t, he lost all my geo" situation ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

This is now live

I had "plans" to extract myself from the bed at 05:00 and give it a whirl but I was satisfied with going on here at 06:00 and seeing how others got on!

But updating and trying it this morning for myself it seems just fine.
    I like the integrated NES game collection, given that this is only the opening gambit of NES games and more are to come, not to mention more systems, the annual family subscription seems good value, as they are across all the consoles I own that support such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Mr E wrote: »
    About game sharing. Not great. The user that downloaded the game needs to be on the other switch, and with cloud saves, they get access to your progress.

So for example, I set up game sharing with my nephew (who has his own switch). I have to add a "Dave" profile on his Switch. If he loads Hollow Knight on his Switch (and he has to use my "Dave" profile to do it, he will get an error if he uses another profile), then he will start his game where I am (about 20 hours in).

Cue the inevitable "sh*t, he lost all my geo" situation ...

Yeah so basically the feature is to allow you to play your games on any Switch with your profile, as opposed to allowing you to share those games with other people.

Nice to have I guess if someone regularly plays on different Switches, but nothing amazing.

I have no hope of it happening, but I would much rather them allow to any family group member to play anyone’s game in the family as long as they are part of the group, like Apple does with iOS apps (this would require Nintendo to me more restrictive with how family groups work to avoid abuse, but I’d be very ok with that).

• Advertisement

FYI the CRT filter on the NES games is causing screen burn-in.

https://nintendosoup.com/nintendo-switch-online-nes-games-causing-screen-burn-in-issues/

MCKPXok.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

It isn't burn in. It's image retention, and it goes away after a short period whenever it's happened to me. But it does need to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Had a quick look at the NES stuff this morning and played through 1-1 on Super Mario Bros.

All seems to work nice & smoothly and the save states are very quick to access.

There's the start of something special there with the service IF they add more consoles at a later date but it's a nice novelty as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

So "game sharing" isn't really available then like it is on Xbox or PS4? Dam, my excitement levels went up when I first heard about this this morning. Pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

So "game sharing" isn't really available then like it is on Xbox or PS4? Dam, my excitement levels went up when I first heard about this this morning. Pity!

There is workarounds have a look here https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9h0if1/firmware_60_you_can_now_access_digital_content_on/

Disappointed you can only play online nes games with friends, basically makes it useless for me.

Just created a JP account there, linked to my system and downloading the Famicom Online thingy now.
    Nice tip there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Sounds messy and nobody is totally certain just yet what is and isn't possible. Will wait a few days and see what the final verdict is on this. Will be getting the service regardless but would be nice to have access to a few extra games my mates own.

Advertisement