Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I watched this the other day and agree with it all.

Yeah. Let's Talk About Nintendo Switch Online.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K6Tkg524jk4

Another point though is that Nintendo are getting all of the €20, the 3rd parties don't receive a cent so really they shouldn't sign up and agree to letting their games be playable through Nintendo Switch Online. Like, most of, if not all of Nintendo's games on Switch are p2p, it's not costing them anything, yet some 3rd party games have servers but they're not getting diddly squat. All companies should follow Fortnite's example.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've only ever played Mario Kart 8 online, so I pay no attention to news about Nintendo online service.

Hadn't played for a few weeks, went to have a go last nigjt and it tells me I need to pay something or other now.

F*ck that.
    you had it free online for 2 years, technical
    nintendo have been free online service since 2007 while psn and xboxlive have not, stop being child grownup

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You'll have to do the echo effect yourself when you read this out, but I'll do my best to facilitate it. Let me know when you realise the futility of your argument so I can stop.

"Mariokart-ariokart-riokart-art.... Grownup-ownup-wnup-up....Mariokart-ariokart-riokart-art.... Grownup-ownup-wnup-up....Mariokart-ariokart-riokart-art.... Grownup-ownup-wnup-up...."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm more interested in seeing their updated versions, like Super Mario Bros 3 with online multiplayer etc.

• Advertisement

"The #NES fun doesn’t have to stop"

I think, for the sake of maintaining audience interest, yeah it does.... The Gamecube fun on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd settle for the middle ground (SNES).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd much prefer if they had a handful (2/3) of games per generation per month (NES/SNES/N64/GBA/GC if poss) and rotate them.

I think I have this game sharing not set up right. I have a family account and my son is using my digital Zelda. It logs him out of the game whenever I go online. Is that correct? I assumed it was whenever I started playing the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think he needs to be offline? Maybe I'm wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Smertrius wrote: »
    you had it free online for 2 years, technical
    nintendo have been free online service since 2007 while psn and xboxlive have not, stop being child grownup

PSN was and still is free on both the PS3 and the Vita.

mario54324 wrote: »
    PSN was and still is free on both the PS3 and the Vita.

wii

wiiu
    new 2ds xl

2ds
    3ds

new 3ds and xl
    dsi

are all free

the one you are paying for is the switch system one for at
    ⅓ compare psn and xbox live

what is free nowadays

no such thing as free lunch

we still pay yearly at
    600 eur0 roughly

techinally cloud save are not free

techinally cloud save are not free

But they are on Xbox and PC?

Mr E wrote: »
    I think he needs to be offline? Maybe I'm wrong...

Hmm, that's a bit ****ty - From what I had read, it was tied to my account, which is fine, but unless I started to play the same game, he would be fine. I've told him to just go to flight mode every time he starts a game from me.

what is free nowadays
    Well, off the top of my head, Paladins and Fortnite?
    no such thing as free lunch
    You're using that wrong. It doesn't mean nothing is free, it means if something is free you're probably paying for it in other ways. You have to get the free lunch first, then be asked for something in return for it. Which is why I mentioned Paladins and Fortnite - they are expecting a goodly chunk of their install-base will purchase skins or season passes or whatever it is they sell to their "VIP" or non-scrounger-tier players. That's why lunch was free - because you're expected to cover the tip, and because they're cooking huge amounts of lunches in bulk they can afford to give them out for nothing and make it up off the back end.

It's why the Rocket League thing twists my biscuit so much. You have to pay for the game, you have to pay for Online and you're still asked to pay for all the skins and cars and keys.
    It's money-lenders in the temple, Smertrius old boy, it's tip up the tables and cast them from thine father's house time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It was a similar "debate" when PS+ was announced.

"Look at all the free games!" one side would proclaim.
    "But they aren't free!" the other side would counter.
    "But I'm paying for a subscription, the games are a free bonus!" the original group would declare.
    "Free? Free? Your mother soaks clocks in hell!" the other side would scream through tears of frustration.

Meanwhile, I quietly pay a nominal annual sum to Sony and have a great big catalogue of games on my PS3, PS4 and Vita, with no plans to ever cease subscribing so they are as good as mine.

And here we are with more eyeroll inducing accusations about how bad Nintendo are for stealing and so on, with cloud saves the new chemtrails of the digital age...
    "But man, they are making you pay for them! It's a conspiracy man.... here, lets discuss it and drink each others urine!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Your mother soaks clocks in hell!

This made me snort with laughter. Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

nedd wrote: »
    This made me snort with laughter. Thanks!

Any time.
    He he...

Meanwhile, I quietly pay a nominal annual sum to Sony and have a great big catalogue of games on my PS3, PS4 and Vita, with no plans to ever cease subscribing so they are as good as mine."

Are they really though? You can't play them if your subscription runs out (which you mentioned) but what about in 10-15 years time when PSN on the PS3/Vita/4 is shut down? Would you still have access to these games? Are they still yours?

mario54324 wrote: »
    Are they really though? You can't play them if your subscription runs out (which you mentioned) but what about in 10-15 years time when PSN on the PS3/Vita/4 is shut down? Would you still have access to these games? Are they still yours?

Oh I know, I brought that up a while ago, I got a letter printed in Edge on that very topic years ago!
    The decidedly deciduous nature of digital era gaming.
    You only have access as long as Sony/MS/Nintendo want you to, they lose the licence that's that.

At the same time....

Sega lost the Ferrari licence and no longer could you buy and install Outrun 2 HD to your 360.

Unless you had already bought it.

I found I had, and I was able to download and install it just fine, but it could just as easily have disappeared from the servers for good, and my investment would have evaporated along with it.

• Advertisement

Oh I know, I brought that up a while ago, I got a letter printed in Edge on that very topic years ago!
    The decidedly deciduous nature of digital era gaming.
    You only have access as long as Sony/MS/Nintendo want you to, they lose the licence that's that.

At the same time....

Sega lost the Ferrari licence and no longer could you buy and install Outrun 2 HD to your 360.

Unless you had already bought it.

I found I had, and I was able to download and install it just fine, but it could just as easily have disappeared from the servers for good, and my investment would have evaporated along with it.

Same thing happened with After Burner Climax. Luckily I had bought that one and can still download it. It's really a shame; these games are both great and outside of emulators and/or piracy they're nearly "lost".

Reasons like this are why I will almost always pick a physical release over a digital.

Same thing happened with After Burner Climax. Luckily I had bought that one and can still download it. It's really a shame; these games are both great and outside of emulators and/or piracy they're nearly "lost".

Reasons like this are why I will almost always pick a physical release over a digital.

I almost always buy physical, but I can certainly see the attraction of digital, especially on the Switch, where you don't have to go rooting for a cart when you want to play a game.
    At the same time, with the rest of my collection now mostly physical though with it's fair share of Everdrives and cakes of media, it's definitely the physical originals that get the playtime, not the dodgy stuff.

eshop is now 90% off

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

eshop is now 90% off

Huh? The online is hardly discounted by 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Any update on when the Nintendo online discounts are coming? Was the main reason I got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Well, that's us a few months in now so I reckon it's fine for me to say that Nintendo Online is utter garbage, in my opinion.

The only positive I can give here is that at least it was only 20 euro for the full year.

Cloud Saves: This is a good feature for sure but honestly it just covers up the fact that Nintendo won't allow me to back up my saves on an SD Card, which is total crap. They fixed it so that I NEED these cloud saves so then I have to pay.

Exclusive Offers for Members: I am 2 months into my annual Membership and so far all I've been offered is the chance to buy a pack of 2 retro controllers for 49.99! And I won't get them until mid December!

Smartphone App: It only has voice chat and Splatoon 2 functionality. That's it. I think those were both available for a while already anyway? At 2 months in they have NOTHING new or interesting. Not like an App game that links to existing games (for example, I'd be fine with a Zelda mini game that could get you items or weapons in game)... just nothing. It's just a basic, boring app. Even just something that tracked your progress on Nintendo first party games would be nice. Like tell me how many moons I have left to get in Odyssey or give me hints for moons or something. ANYTHING!

NES Online: Yes, it's pretty cool to have access to NES games. This library should be WAY bigger than it is though. This SHOULD have been Virtual Console but with a subscription fee. Throw NES, SNES and N64 in at launch and promise others to be added as the Switch goes through it's life cycle. So maybe they could make a big deal about Mario Galaxy being added in the future and the Smash series of games etc. I'd pay probably up to 5 euro a month for something like that. Instead it's a handful of NES games and no real promise of anything better to come. It's Bullsh!t.

Online Play: Saved the worst till last. I understand that expecting corporations to give something for free is silly BUT on this occasion they are charging me for an objectively worse product. So they are allowing free online play for a full 18 months and my "go to" online games were Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon 2 and Mario Tennis Aces. As soon as the Nintendo Switch Online services launches the number of players online actually drops and so it becomes harder to find a game. I treat my online gaming as more of an "arcadey" experience. I want to jump on and get 2 or 3 games in and then jump out. I don't want to wait an age because there are no players around and I also don't want to be stuck to a schedule for playing with friends. Basically since they launched the service it takes longer to find a game across ALL games but in particular Arms and Mario Tennis are completely dead. Good luck if you make it past Round 3 in Mario Tennis these days as you'll be waiting 10 to 15 minutes for your semi final and/or final opponent to show up. It's sh!te. I am now paying for a worse service.

Overall: The things that they do objectively, technically, deliver on are not good value for money (cloud saves, smartphone app, NES games and exclusive offers) and the main thing you are paying for is significantly worse than it was when it was free. Just a totally awful service. I wish they would at least announce plans to revamp or improve it but it seems like there is nothing on the horizon at all. Garbage.

with inflation switch should be 120€ not 60€, just be grateful you paying 60€ for switch game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

with inflation switch should be 120€ not 60€, just be grateful you paying 60€ for switch game.

What has this got to do with Online?

I regret paying for it, I have zero use for it

the lack of discounts is a joke

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I cancelled mine. I find it very hard to justify paying for a paltry amount too. Just shows how poor Nintendo are doing with their online venture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I cancelled mine. I find it very hard to justify paying for a paltry amount too. Just shows how poor Nintendo are doing with their online venture.

Over 50% of switch owners have bought the online service. That's an attachment rate that Sony or Microsoft would kill for.

Advertisement