Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Kirby wrote: »
    Over 50% of switch owners have bought the online service. That's an attachment rate that Sony or Microsoft would kill for.

Is that active subs or "they took the 7 day trial"?
    Also, are they using "Family" subs as 1 switch owner or X switch owners?
    Also - hello! How are you! I realise the last couple of questions seem confrontational so I want to soften the blow by showing my cuddly side.

Over 50% of switch owners have bought the online service. That's an attachment rate that Sony or Microsoft would kill for.

I don't imagine that many of that 50% will keep their subscription though, unless the service is improved. The general consensus is that it's just not worth it, even at the low, low price of €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't imagine that many of that 50% will keep their subscription though, unless the service is improved. The general consensus is that it's just not worth it, even at the low, low price of €20.

Yeah even at 20 euro, I regret it and won't be renewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Yeah, it's just such a low effort service.

They could rework the app so that you are actually getting something.

Pad out the "virtual console" to more than just NES games.
    I mean you could put the entire NES, SNES and N64 back catalogue on there at launch and then have monthly "big" additions from the gamecube and wii eras.
    Maybe a Nintendo Online Exclusive game twice a year or something.
    Almost like a Netflix or WWE Network but for Nintendo.

I get that charging people for online will cause a dropoff in the number of people playing online but that's a good argument for why online play should be free.

Exclusive offers should be actual good stuff.

It just feels so lazy and cheap. Sure 20 euro is cheap I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Yeah, it's just such a low effort service.

They could rework the app so that you are actually getting something.

Pad out the "virtual console" to more than just NES games.
    I mean you could put the entire NES, SNES and N64 back catalogue on there at launch and then have monthly "big" additions from the gamecube and wii eras.
    Maybe a Nintendo Online Exclusive game twice a year or something.
    Almost like a Netflix or WWE Network but for Nintendo.

I get that charging people for online will cause a dropoff in the number of people playing online but that's a good argument for why online play should be free.

Exclusive offers should be actual good stuff.

It just feels so lazy and cheap. Sure 20 euro is cheap I suppose.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, the biggest argument anyone has in favor of the service is its "cheap".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd murder for Advance Wars on the go (legally :P) on Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd murder for Advance Wars on the go (legally ) on Switch

Closest thing you have to that is Wargroove out next year.
    There is Tiny Metal on Switch now too. Not sure if that is any good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

[HTML][/HTML]

C'mon guys, I take a day out and you slack off? ;)

It's 50% of users that bought a Nintendo Switch Online plan, bought the annual subscription, which would be the shrewdest investment in terms of cost, per month, individually. It's not that 50% of all Switch owners have subscribed. Trust me, if that were the case Nintendo would be bragging like crazy. They might give us a proper figure post SSBU if things go well, but we may have to wait until the AGM next March for concrete figures.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

sligeach wrote: »
    It's 50% of users that bought a Nintendo Switch Online plan...

It's not that 50% of all Switch owners have subscribed.

Does not compute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

[HTML][/HTML]

C'mon guys, I take a day out and you slack off? ;)

It's 50% of users that bought a Nintendo Switch Online plan, bought the annual subscription, which would be the shrewdest investment in terms of cost, per month, individually. It's not that 50% of all Switch owners have subscribed. Trust me, if that were the case Nintendo would be bragging like crazy. They might give us a proper figure post SSBU if things go well, but we may have to wait until the AGM next March for concrete figures.

That's just semantics.

If 50% of Switch consoles are activated on the online plan that's the number that's important.
    My PS4 and XBOne both have paid subs for their services by me, and my son can use it as much as he likes, to access the same content I have.
    So, in those cases, it's still a subscription per console rather than per account, even though it is ultimately the primary account that it paying up.
    I mean, why on earth would anyone, within a family unit, be paying for multiple accounts?

And this isn't about individual attachment rates of subs, this is about who as the access to the online facilities of Nintendo Switch games, which appears to be 50%.

A more interesting number is the Switch users who have moved from using their Switch online for free to not using it online now they have to pay for it.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's just semantics.

If 50% of Switch consoles are activated on the online plan that's the number that's important.

But that's not the number!
    The report was that of the total number of Nintendo Online Subscribers, 50% of them opted for the Annual pass. It has nothing to do with attach-rates.

Linky

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Banjo wrote: »
    But that's not the number!
    The report was that of the total number of Nintendo Online Subscribers, 50% of them opted for the Annual pass. It has nothing to do with attach-rates.

Linky

Okay, I stand corrected.
    I'm still unsure how it is good v bad to have the over 50% of Nintendo online subs being annual ones.

It's a stat that actually tells you very little but it makes it sound like the service is a success as long as you don't think about it too long, and it's not interesting enough for most people to click on the article - it's perfect headline fodder to be subconsciously absorbed from a side-frame while you scan a different article.

I would venture that it's bad, in so far as Nintendo will not get feedback from 50% of their subscribers on what they think of the service for a full 12 months, at which point it may be too late to do enough to ensure they retain them. I hope - given this is a new service - that they're planning a survey or something after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I suppose its value will be dictated by what you want out of it. If you don't play online than a bunch of free games you probably wont ever play........will seem like a waste of money.

However I intend to play quite a lot of smash online so 20 euro for a year is pretty palatable to be honest.

I have put some time into Gradius in particular, I'd hope Gradius II is on the way though, it's much better, not to mention Parodius and Salamander.

Monthly Waves Of NES Games Are Triggering Monthly Complaints About Switch Online

https://kotaku.com/monthly-waves-of-nes-games-are-triggering-monthly-compl-1831644067

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Monthly Waves Of NES Games Are Triggering Monthly Complaints About Switch Online

https://kotaku.com/monthly-waves-of-nes-games-are-triggering-monthly-compl-1831644067

It's not like people to complain on the Internet. Very unusual.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

It is pure pipe in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Everything will be forgiven when the Big N moves on to SNES games re-worked for online - Super Mario Kart online tournaments - make it happen Big N :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

manual_man wrote: »
    Everything will be forgiven when the Big N moves on to SNES games re-worked for online - Super Mario Kart online tournaments - make it happen Big N :)
    the only thing that made the nes stuff exciting was the though of playing online but it's limited to friends only so pretty much useless to most people and I expect the snes stuff, if it actually happens, to be the ssme.
    Saying that if it does happen I'll happily give you a game of super mario kart:D

• Advertisement

I'm wondering how do I set my son's nintendo switch up on my family sub. He has his own switch. On family sub can he download and play games which I've purchased on my switch. Confused.

eggy81 wrote: »
    I'm wondering how do I set my son's nintendo switch up on my family sub. He has his own switch. On family sub can he download and play games which I've purchased on my switch. Confused.

Doubt it. I'd say he can play online and use the nes games library using the family sub. Nintendo are fairly stingy in this regard

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

iamtony wrote: »
    Doubt it. I'd say he can play online and use the nes games library using the family sub. Nintendo are fairly stingy in this regard

Game sharing on Switch works the same way as the other consoles doesn't it? Owner of console A signs in on owner B console and makes their account the primary/Owner B signs in on owner A console and makes their account the primary and then game sharing is allowed between those consoles?

That's the way I read it a few weeks back. I haven't tried it myself but it seems to work for other people.

Game sharing on Switch works the same way as the other consoles doesn't it? Owner of console A signs in on owner B console and makes their account the primary/Owner B signs in on owner A console and makes their account the primary and then game sharing is allowed between those consoles?

That's the way I read it a few weeks back. I haven't tried it myself but it seems to work for other people.
    Just looking it up now, didn't think it was worth the hassle but since the switch online it's OK. Biggest drawback I can see is the secondary console must be connected to the Internet the whole time or the game pauses if your using it as your main switch and your set up as a secondary user on it.

iamtony wrote: »
    Just looking it up now, didn't think it was worth the hassle but since the switch online it's OK. Biggest drawback I can see is the secondary console must be connected to the Internet the whole time or the game pauses if your using it as your main switch and your set up as a secondary user on it.

So if I log in on his switch and make me primary account he can play my games. Can I still use my own switch to download as I want in that case.

eggy81 wrote: »
    So if I log in on his switch and make me primary account he can play my games. Can I still use my own switch to download as I want in that case.
    Yes you can have your games downloaded on both switch's but he must stay connected to the Internet while playing your game on his switch and you cannot play the one game at the same time.
    I've not done this myself by the way, just going on what I read. https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/19/17878472/nintendo-switch-game-sharing-online-account

22 SNES Games Found in Data Mine of Nintendo Switch's NES Online App

It seems Super Nintendo games may be coming to the Nintendo Switch Online service sooner than we thought, based on a list of 22 SNES games found from a Data Mine of the NES App! Get all the details of what might be on the way, including Super Mario World, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Stunt Race FX (!!!!!!) and tons more!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=g7YG0YevaLk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm quite happy with the service as it is, but it'd be fantastic to add SNES as well.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I wonder if the release of SNES games onto the service will encourage the haters to park their outrage for a while?

Nah... Doubt it....

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I wonder if the release of SNES games onto the service will encourage the haters to park their outrage for a while?

Nah... Doubt it....
    When are we getting n64 games like ive played super mario world already man;)

Advertisement