Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under-age training misconduct

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Might have said already but whose brain wave was it to put 10year olds in u 14 setup.we have 12 year olds that cant compete with 14 year olds.the more i think about this setup the less i think we know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

K.G. wrote: »
    Might have said already but whose brain wave was it to put 10year olds in u 14 setup.we have 12 year olds that cant compete with 14 year olds.the more i think about this setup the less i think we know

That was the parents decision

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Why did they feel the need to make that decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Why did they feel the need to make that decision?

Because the under 12 coach was swearing at their kids and wouldn't stop.

Yes. So nice_guy80's post which implied that the parents were at fault is misleading as they were effectively bullied out of their age group and into the next available one.

• Advertisement

Because the under 12 coach was swearing at their kids and wouldn't stop.

The kids probably hear far worse at home, at school or on the tv
    Oh, blame the sports coach

Yes. So nice_guy80's post which implied that the parents were at fault is misleading as they were effectively bullied out of their age group and into the next available one.

Where did i say it was the parents fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Two wrongs don't make a right. The parents were irresponsible for throwing their kids into a higher age group imo, they used the kids as cannon fodder.

The Club acted very poorly in this and rightly came out of it worse but I can see fault with both sides.

They are 10 year old kids, they should not be sworn at. Who else would you blame except the coach who was swearing at them?

PARlance wrote: »
    Two wrongs don't make a right. The parents were irresponsible for throwing their kids into a higher age group imo, they used the kids as cannon fodder.

The Club acted very poorly in this and rightly came out of it worse but I can see fault with both sides.

They didn't want them playing with the u12 coach and the club refused to do anything about him, what choice did they have if the kids wanted to play?

• Advertisement

They are 10 year old kids, they should not be sworn at. Who else would you blame except the coach who was swearing at them?

You blame the coach.
    You also blame the parents for throwing them into an u14 team.

Fault doesn't have to lie on one side alone.

They didn't want them playing with the u12 coach and the club refused to do anything about him, what choice did they have if the kids wanted to play?

Playing u14 was hardly the only choice was it.

You blame the coach.

They were put on the u14 team because of the u12 coach swearing at them. There is absolutely no blame to be attached to the parents - the kids being on the u14 team wasnt an issue in the slightest.
    Playing u14 was hardly the only choice was it.

Not playing was the other choice.

They were put on the u14 team because of the u12 coach swearing at them. There is absolutely no blame to be attached to the parents - the kids being on the u14 team wasnt an issue in the slightest.

Not playing was the other choice.

Not playing was probably the best choice. As a parent, I wouldn't throw my 10 year old into a team of 13 / 14 year olds.

Not playing would have had a greater impact too imo. It would have been a better way to deal with a bad situation.

Where did i say it was the parents fault?
    maybe it was the way I read it but...
    K.G. wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

You blame the coach.

from the article
    "The month is February, 2017. Two 10-year-old boys — upset by the language and atmosphere on the team — decide they would rather play for the under 14s. There are some training sessions with a new coach, Eddie Brady, and they are invited to join the older boys for a game in Loughrea.
    That's when the meltdown begins."

The club were suspended by their governing body as a direct consequence of the actions of their officials in response to a sequence of events that commenced in 2016.
    The "blame" (all of it) lies with the club. Utterly and completely.

It isn't complicated.

from the article
    "The month is February, 2017. Two 10-year-old boys — upset by the language and atmosphere on the team — decide they would rather play for the under 14s. There are some training sessions with a new coach, Eddie Brady, and they are invited to join the older boys for a game in Loughrea.
    That's when the meltdown begins."

The club were suspended by their governing body as a direct consequence of the actions of their officials in response to a sequence of events that commenced in 2016.
    The "blame" (all of it) lies with the club. Utterly and completely.

It isn't complicated.

Two 10 year old boys just decide to head up to u14's... Absolutely.

Even if that was the case. And these 2 lads decided that u14 was the way to go then I would still put blame on the parents for letting them do it.

Two 10 year old boys just decide to head up to u14's... Absolutely.

Even if that was the case. And these 2 lads decided that u14 was the way to go then I would still put blame on the parents for letting them do it.

What has them playing for u14 got to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Well the argument that was made was that the foul language of a trainer was having this massive negative affect on the two 10 year olds and was inappropriate, which of course it was, but how is the appropriate solution to move them up to U14 where they are in actual physical danger?

Athenry's U12 were being roundly beaten in most of their matches the U14's were winning all their games and were favourites to win the county final, anyone that is naieve enough to think that this was simply about the foul language of one coach is well wide of the mark.

danganabu wrote: »
    Well the argument that was made was that the foul language of a trainer was having this massive negative affect on the two 10 year olds and was inappropriate, which of course it was, but how is the appropriate solution to move them up to U14 where they are in actual physical danger?

Athenry's U12 were being roundly beaten in most of their matches the U14's were winning all their games and were favourites to win the county final, anyone that is naieve enough to think that this was simply about the foul language of one coach is well wide of the mark.

It was about the clubs inability to deal with reported incidents.

• Advertisement

It was about the clubs inability to deal with reported incidents.

Absolutely that is what escalated it and the clubs actions and lack of action is indisputable, but the parents are far from blameless and innocent as has been suggested.

but the parents are far from blameless and innocent as has been suggested.

Huh? How do you make that out, cos i am not seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Classic whataboutery or deflection from the main topic, the behaviour of the club officials.

Huh? How do you make that out, cos i am not seeing it.

Well I have spelt it out fairly clearly, we are obviously not going to agree on this so might just agree to disagree and park it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Your right its not about the coach using foul language, its about the breach in child safety politics and bullying at a coaching level, it is also about the club on a whole circling the wagons and using boycott type tactics to keep the parents in line.

The risk here from a societal perspective is simple, Ireland has a history of ignoring child welfare laws and putting people into positions where they are untouchable. The powers at be in the GAA HQ luckily seem to understand what is at stake here and are taking it seriously.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Your right its not about the coach using foul language, its about the breach in child safety politics and bullying at a coaching level, it is also about the club on a whole circling the wagons and using boycott type tactics to keep the parents in line.

The risk here from a societal perspective is simple, Ireland has a history of ignoring child welfare laws and putting people into positions where they are untouchable. The powers at be in the GAA HQ luckily seem to understand what is at stake here and are taking it seriously.

I was not talking about what happened afterwards which every single poster to a person has described as indefensable, I am talking about what was the catalyst for the intial actions of the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Well they shouldn't be hearing it in either place and if a coach needs to swear at 10 year old'd to get his message across then he's not fit to be coaching them.
    It's not the 10 year old's shortcoming.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Classic whataboutery or deflection from the main topic, the behaviour of the club officials.

Keep up good lad. I've already said that the club officials are to blame. For me, that's not much of a discussion point because it's so obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

You blame the coach.

Yes it's the parents fault that a grown man shouted at young kids.... sigh

• Advertisement

Yes it's the parents fault that a grown man shouted at young kids.... sigh

Wow. I love the internet.

Advertisement